ITT: Future of the Hellraiser franchise

What are the chances of Hellraiser franchise to become the next Evil Dead? Do you think it will break into mainstream soon with a tv show/remake/comics like Evil Dead did or will it remain a niche?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4PR1QSXTJX8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

maybe someday it will get one good movie

lel, nobody gives a shit

if you put up the money to film it, you couldn't find anyone willing to distribute it

are the books worth it?

You never know, but it'll probably stay forgotten as time goes bye. I haven't seen much interest in it lately nor is it mentioned that much anymore.

i guess this shit didn't take
youtube.com/watch?v=4PR1QSXTJX8

clive barker can barely get his books published anymore, there's no way he's going to get his hellraiser reboot off the ground

Hellraiser is popular now as it ever was (among horror fans). Let's be real, Hellraiser 1-4 weren't particularly smash hits at the box office. This doesn't make Pinhead any less of a horror icon though. I'd say most people know who he is. If not by name, then by "Hellraiser guy" or something like that. The problem really lies with Dimension. They cheaped out with Inferno, Hellseeker, Revelations, etc. Even the most casual moviegoers know that Hellraiser is doomed to the straight-to-DVD hell. Why that is, is likely because of the box office results. Though at the same time, 3 and 4 weren't particularly great. But then Nightmare 5 and Friday the 13th Part 9 weren't either, yet still successful. I don't know anymore.

The bottom line is that they didn't let Clive Barker write all the sequels, Hellraiser is too strange of a concept to reach Evil Dead/F13 levels, Dimension are cheap ass Jews and Dimension hurt Hellraiser's reputation with their garbage sequels.

Hellraiser will never be forgotten. It's still regarded as an 80's classic alongside Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead, Child's Play, etc. It's just that they don't know how to make a Hellraiser movie anymore.

books? do you mean the only canon, which is "The Hellbound Heart" and "The Scarlet Gospels"?

the fuck are you talking about? he could blow his nose on a subways napkin and it'd be published.

Yeah, those two.

True, it will always have it's cult status, but I was talking about the irrelevant status - mainstream one.

Even clive barker does not know what to do with it.

He continued it in comics and it was a revolving door of characters becoming pinhead.

Hellraiser was mainstream for a bit. I think it's happening to all slashers now though. You don't see Freddy, Leatherface or Ghostface mentioned now. It's more of a horror problem than it is a Hellraiser problem.

Give it to James Wan

Aye.

How will that help?

If the original ending to Freddy vs Jason would have happened, it would have opened an entire cinematic universe.

>We will never get a Nighbreed sequel but we have 6 awful hellraiser sequels that don't even have anything in comon
Change the timeline please

I don't agree with this. It took them years to get Freddy vs. Jason going. I think that was because of rights issues. Adding another character would've made it a bigger mess legally speaking. That's why Freddy/Jason/Ash didn't happen. It can only work if the characters are owned by the same company.

Michael Myers vs. Pinhead almost happened though.

Hellraiser was always mainstream. It's just not very good.

>Michael Myers vs. Pinhead almost happened though.
How would that even work? I can hardly recall both characters, but isn't Pinhead a literal demon god?

>cinematic universe.
fuck you

He's something like that. Dimension saw the success of Freddy vs. Jason and they immediately wanted a crossover of their own. They owned Halloween, Hellraiser and Scream at the time. Pinhead vs. Ghostface wasn't in their best interest, so they thought Pinhead/Michael was the way to go. Clive Barker was asked to write the script and he said yes. John Carpenter said he would direct the movie. It was all going to go, but one of the Akkad's said no to it. If memory serves me correctly, Dimension had a poll online asking fans how they felt about a Hellraiser/Halloween crossover. Interesting they suddenly care what fans think. Anyway, the results were negative and I guess that was enough for them to scrap it. The Akkad brothers have enough stock in Halloween to stop that, so they did.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't going to be Pinhead throwing chains and hooks at Michael. It would've been more of a look into Michael via Pinhead or something like that.

>isn't Pinhead a literal demon god?
no, just a human who opened the box and became a cenobite cause the god of flesh wanted and now he gives pain/plasure
Demons to some, angel to others
They are like a dominatrix
Imagine a bdsm club in wich you can't escape, that's the Labyrinth

Forgot to add, I don't know why they didn't consider Halloween/Scream instead. You see those 2 names on the list and you'd think that would make more sense than Scream/Hellraiser or Halloween/Hellraiser. They're a very stupid company.

>why they didn't consider Halloween/Scream instead
probably because one is straightforward slasher and the other is meta nudge-nudge-wink-wink wankery

Right but Halloween/Hellraiser is a straightforward slasher and the other is a weird horror film about BDSM demons. Scream has way more in common with Halloween than Hellraiser. It's a little confusing why they were adamant about it.

maybe Wes Craven was not feeling it, i dunno
it's probably for the best it all fell through

I don't necessarily agree. I think a crossover with Halloween would've boosted the popularity of Hellraiser. Maybe it could've saved Hellraiser from all the garbage sequels.

The question is why would you want to escape.
>To think I hesitated!

Dr Channard became a cenobite but Frank Cotton was just a slave I believe

And then instead of actual torture he just got blue-balled.

They should've made him a cenobite instead.
Julia too.
I've always wanted to see them both as cenobites
Perhaps as a reward for bringing more souls?
The victims they absorved to get the flesh back?
I don't know, the ending of Hellbound was terrible.

Maybe if Horror itself was again a genre that wants to scare people instead of being somewhat entertaining with jump scares, wet t-shirts and predictable ends....maybe then, Hellraiser could be written well again and shown in its full glory.
But it doesn't look like people really care about the horror genre anymore.

The Witch was a thing.