How do I get a job in IT?

I don't know how to code or anything, so how do I start my great career in the sector? What can I do except tidying offices? Do I have to sit on my ass at home and learn something before I go anywhere or is it enough that I just know how to start the computer?

Other urls found in this thread:

foxnews.com/us/2016/08/01/fbi-agent-charged-with-acting-as-agent-china.html
pbs.org/newshour/updates/has-health-care-hacking-become-an-epidemic/
codecademy.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Get a university degree if you don't want to lose your IT job to a D E S I G N A T E D indian in the future.

fix iphone locally, seriously don't waste your time learning the new thing. Be productive.

Just start at microsoft, tell them you know steve. You can do kernel programing in assembly, there are only 10 commands or so, even a monkey could do that, point that out in your interview.

What?
Programmers are going to be most susceptible to losing their jobs to indians. And database guys.

Plugging in Janet's mouse in accounting 3x per day (like on site tech support) is probably the only job that's here to stay.

Get your microsoft certs op

>Programmers are going to be most susceptible to losing their jobs to indians. And database guys.
you are fucking retarded

This meme will never end

Our Muslim friend here knows what's up.

If you want some extra interview points then be sure to tell them that you've got 4 years experience in writing mobile apps in object oriented COBOL.

>there are only 10 commands
Yeah if you're doing fucking MIPS
x86 and etc just fuck you in ass till you gape for 3 weeks

I just left a job as a systems engineer for a large mail order pharmacy. I can only speak for the US in general, but the midwest specifically.

Level 1 help desk (Hello, my name is David from mumbai) all but requires a 4 year degree now. For this you will make 10-14 dollars an hour, mostly forwarding emails and resetting passwords.

Very few level 2 help desk jobs go to anyone who is not promoting from level 1, mainly because of degree mills pumping out graduates, no one will hire direct level 2/level 3 techs without at least a year in the company.

To jump right to an admin job (network, systems, ops, or infrastructure) you need a degree and 5+ years experience with a known company. You need something to show you know what you are talking about. When I interviewed my replacement he had a 200 page portfolio of the infrastructure and network jobs he had completed as a consultant.

To jump right to engineer you need to be social. No one gets engineer jobs from an application. They are either internal hires or someone knew someone who would work out well.

Pic related. I wrote that last year on /biz/ before I left that job. Honestly, it has gotten far worse around here. My friend who also left just landed a 300k a year job at the CME after almost a decade of trying for that job. I left IT and moved into purchasing and operations for a packaging company.

I took a solid 30k a year decrease in pay, but I dont consider it a downside. I finally have a life for the first time in 16 years. As I type this my wife is next to me watching youtube. Being able to say I am at home, with my wife, at 7pm on a Monday? That isnt something that has occurred since college. At my last job, Id be wondering who would deliver dinner at 7pm to a closed business park, because I knew I wouldnt be going home until at least midnight.

IT is not what it was in the 90's and early 2000's. What used to be fun and rewarding is now one of the most over managed, over stressed fields you can get into.

>move to India
>go to Balabala University of IT
>get dark tan
>poo in loo
>????
>Profit?

>university degree in cs
>worth anything

Pick one. I enjoy rejecting failed CS undergrads applying for graduate school.

Fucker's can't even spell. Retarded. CS is a meme from 2005.

Enjoy BK.

It's true about developers. Always has been. Sysadmin and dba positions are the most likely to stay in house.

t. 16 years in IT.

A fucking leaf.

Pajeet outsourcing is a stale meme because businesses now realise ten years later that it costs shitloads more to maintain their spaghetti code than it does to keep it in house.

The only Pajeets I work with are testers from Infosys, and they outsource them to us to free up some designated shitting space on their end.

Our loos have never been so overworked.

It really depends. High end quality programing will never be off-shored because of well, quality. Ive farmed out a few jobs to Russia, India, and China. China completely failed, it was 2 months of wasted time. India came through with workable, yet very badly done code that was a nightmare to mark up and get right. Russia was actually the best of the bunch, but they failed 4 deadlines and never sent a code map or include any kind of mark-up. Their response was to put us on the phone with a guy, who no shit, barely spoke english and his only responses were "thats too much to talk about, what is your problem EXACTLY" Nice clean elegant code... that no one understood without half a day of head tilting

No serious company outsources their coding, and the ones who do, arent worth working for. You will get nickle and dimed left and right.

Well, I study economics and IT, which basicly mean I will hopefully become a project manager for IT systems.

I think that's a safer education than just learn to a code monkey

Financial/Economics and Coding anyone here? What do you do?

I think I want to do a master's in that

Im sure you know, but the majority of in-house IT has now fallen into 1 of 2 catagories.

1. Large enterprise, everything is in-house, and there are 10 layers of management who crawl up your ass for every task and email. I use to have to write up a 500 page document, a massive excel sheet, and do a power point presentation 4 times a year at board meetings explaining how and why we spent money the way we did... It took me the better part of a month to get it all ready. Think about that. I was being paid over 180k a year to spend 4 months of my working life describing what I had presented at the meeting 3 months ago "but with more granularity" Execs love their "granular" buzz word. Its right up there with "lets circle back around" and "lets touch base"

Or 2. Everything is outsourced to a local managed services provider and your only internal IT is Bob the keyboard replacement guy, who under extreme stress and monitoring over remote cameras, can unplug a cable from the server rack and do a hard reset, on the phone, while being watched.

Times are greatly changing. Its not all bad, but it isnt good for the entry level guys who think they can get an IT job because they trouble shot a dead video card once on their home built computer.

The future is in managed services and "As A Service" providers. In-House IT is all but dead everywhere except the extreme high end companies, and the companies who can not outsource due to security. Even the later is dying though as companies are willing to take the financial/insurance hit when things go south

I got out of the military with no professional IT background, always been a nerd though. Mostly just fixing my own desktop and gaming.

Got a lvl 1 helpdesk job at a company a friend worked at, taking calls. Went up the chain to the next lvl within like two months, was doing a great job. Moved up to the NOC (Network Operations Center) doing the graveyard shift, good pay raise. That was about a year in.

Moved to Texas, was a Sysadmin at a local chop shop small MSP for like 6 months and hated it. Went and grabbed a sysadmin job at a 100 person company as their in-house sysadmin, lots of freedom, lots of responsibility, pay is pretty good. I like it here.

Become a trans Latnix* and get promoted to the head of development.

Apply to silicon valley companies and say you're trans

MSP's are great for getting your foot in the door and getting experience, you get to touch all sorts of shit at most MSP's, and get a real crash course in all sorts of shit.

Get some MSP experience and you can go nail one of those more specialized in house jobs. Grind tickets for 2-3 years and run off to your sysadmin paradise at a midsize company like I did.

Then hire an MSP to take over most of it, but have certain things you stick around for and do well. In my case, it was specializing in security. MSP handles our day-to-day and the helpdesk shit, I manage our Checkpoint appliances to keep us HIPAA and PCI compliant.

So yeah. MSP for experience, then in-house for a foothold in the company, then bring in an MSP but carve out your own niche of the shit you like doing.

>that pic
>those cert requirements

Jesus fuck. I feel for you poor fucks who don't have security jobs. In VA they can't get enough people who meet gov requirements and you'll have a job almost anywhere long as you can keep it.

>a job in IT

why?? whats the fucking point ...

Pajeets are better than you at this anyway

Why dont you do something only a white european male can do? like Engineering

how do you engineer without computer skills

lmao .....

Experience usually trumps education in the it industry.

>like Engineering

but engineering is programming in 2017

That is a very rough learning curve for most people coming out of college with 50-100k in debt. Sure you can get on Income Based Repayment and if you are a good boy pay it off in 10 instead of 30, but it isnt the promised land. You are talking about a very specialized career path, working very long hours, in hopes it pays off in 10 years. From you post, Id be willing to bet a good chunk of MSPs could do your job better, for half the cost, if they could get the CIOs ear (obviously you are their gate keeper)

Gov jobs are a double edged sword. The pay is utter shit compared to private sector. The hours are longer and the requirements are demanding. That said, once you land one of them and get on a GIS scale, the majority will never leave until retirement.

Thats why the DoD just completed a 16 year plan to transition to Windows 7, and zero plans have been made to transition to Windows 10. IE, it took the DoD 16 years to transition to a platform that will be dead in 5 years

Though it isnt as bad as banking, where to this day 85% of ATMs in North America are still run on Windows XP

I always hear shit like this that says getting an IT job is hard but every IT guy I know is a braindead idiot who thinks Java is the epitome of programming. When I started a job as a firmware engineer a couple of years ago I had a guy from IT come to my cube saying he wanted to explain to me how to work the computer. He wouldn't take no for an answer so I had to sit there for 20 minutes suppressing laughs as he explained how to use internet explorer like I was some dumb HR bitch. I explained that I preferred firefox and he told me that wasn't allowed for security reasons and that if I ever wanted to install anything non-approved I had to put in a support ticket with IT so they could come install it for me. Of course the "security" for our company consists entirely of mcafee which can be turned off by killing processes in the task manager. What a fucking joke.

That comment means you have no understanding of how things work. Ive had thousands of email attachments from engineers hand sketched on grid paper. Parjeet makes 4 dollars an hour translating those sketches to CAD. I spent the next 90 hours trying to make sense of what Parjeet wrote

why dont they cut out the middleman and replace you with a parjeet so they can talk to each other in their native language?

If you can even access task manager or run any kind of command other than double clicking a link I placed on your desktop for you, that IT department should be fired, from top to bottom, today. Ill fill it tomorrow with a dozen people who arent completely inept

>hand sketched on grid paper
Fucking ridiculous. I'm a EE and even I know how to use CAD software. Our fucking machinists draw shit up in CAD. Your company needs to get its shit together. Also only mechanical engineers don't know how to program these days. Every electrical engineer I know that isn't deep into hardware design does mostly programming. Meanwhile my group wouldn't even consider hiring a CS guy despite programming being about 75% of what we do simply because the guys graduating with CS degrees don't know how to program in anything but Java. I've had CS guys look at my like I'm crazy when I tell them I use C at work.

Generally, they try to. Parjeet has a distinct lack of English comprehension and an even bigger lack of business comprehension. India does 1 thing well... processing well structured data very cheaply. They respond to help tickets very well, as they have a log of event data.

Parjeet is not good, fuck that, Parjeet is incredibly bad at taking an email, figuring out that that person said, and resolving that issue quickly, properly, and finally.

The real issue is, no Parjeets work upper management, and upper management hates Parjeet. Even mid C level execs know Parjeet sucks, but they will hide it in their numbers to the board. You simply do not find a barely english speaking Indian on the board of any company. Rarely will you find one giving reports to boards. Outsourcing is for the lowest company, of the lowest common denominator, who got someone who read a few google articles about outsourcing

You are one of the few then. Knowing how to use CAD is at least a 5-10k bump in salary a year. I dont think you understand we are talking about the difference between a 55k a year job, and a company saying "ok, we will pay 65k a year"

To them, on paper, that 10k a year means almost nothing when someone like me was on the payroll.

Honestly, I got tired of the middle man that got hammered on a daily basis, roll. I can make money other places, and it wasnt worth the stress anymore

>If you can even access task manager or run any kind of command other than double clicking a link I placed on your desktop for you

If our IT group implemented such a policy I can guarantee you our group would just buy our own computers and servers out of our budget and completely bypass you. Even with the minimal and silly security our IT group has now its a pain in the ass doing anything and they won't work with you at all on creating rule exceptions. We designed some software for custom test hardware we developed and McAfee throws a hissyfit everytime we create a new build. IT insisted we had to put in a support ticket everytime we wanted to do this, even during development of the application. Fucking ridiculous and it took a strongly worded email from a VP before they would budge. It's a surprise anything gets done at my company.

Yea I work contracts now with magic meal ticket so I can still hop anywhere. Although pay isn't as great as the 90s its still alot more secure than Goldstien in the private sector shipping your job out.

Although when gov I never encountered the hours problem. If anything gov gives the most days off out of the three options because they know contractor/private beats the shit out of them in pay.

>I've had CS guys look at my like I'm crazy when I tell them I use C at work.

I would honesly put that down as salary. Ive seen thousands of companies list crazy things,, and expect the word for peanuts.

You want me to be a systems engineer, proficient in programing, have XX and YY certs, have this and that, and then tell me you are paying 60k a year? Yea, go fuck yourself

There was actually just a big article on Ars about this and the prevailing thought was companies have lost their mind while hiding their pocketbook.

I can think of 10 jobs in this world that do not require the technical know how, nor the stress of doing "that" job, and they all pay more than you do

I for example left a job making 180k a year, working 90 hour weeks (averaging 70 hour weeks over a year) and went to a job I make 140k a year, focusing on management and higher level operations, working straight 40 hours weeks without a second of overtime. If i got a call tomorrow for my old job making 220k a year, Id turn it down in a heart beat, because it simply isnt worth it

You should be working in a sandbox, not live. Your IT department was right, and your VP should be fired on the spot.

An end user should have no freedom. An icon you double click on is the end to their user power. If you want more than that, it is in a locked down sandbox, or you can suck my resignation. There is this thing called Best Practices, and this thing called negligent liability. Your board should familiarize themselves with these terms

in the real world nothing is run that way because upper management are a bunch of computer illiterate baby boomers who get too impatient and just want the end result immediately. hence why china has digitally stolen literally just about anything worth money from corporations and will out compete US corporations with their own stolen intellectual property within the next few years

That is completely impractical is the problem. I understand the need for security but at some point you've got to draw the line between perfect security and actually getting anything done.

No, in the real world. Not the corporate world where a dollar is the be all end all. Your board is living loose and fast with the rules and it will come back to bite them (See Juniper Networks outsourcing to india and finding out someone snuck malicious code into their OS)

From your description you work for a low level company, tied to in-house IT, who think their management decisions are worth something. Any IT manager worth half their weight in yearly salary would have firmly told that VP to go fuck himself. The fact you dont have a corporate sandbox and user acceptance testing further proves this.

ITT and life, you work at a, at best, local tier company that is one attack away from going out of business.

>
I would honesly put that down as salary. Ive seen thousands of companies list crazy things,, and expect the word for peanuts.

No. These were fresh CS graduates who seriously believe that C was something nobody used anymore. These idiots get out of school thinking Java is the only thing anyone should ever need to know. They are clueless about anything low-level.

Then I would mark that up to a failure of you HR department. If people are getting through without the critical job skills, you are wasting you time even scheduling an interview. If you need someone with C experiance, list it. If they dont have it dont interview. If they do have C experience, and want 10-40k more than you are willing to pay, the problem is on you.

Go back to my original posts. If you want someone with specific experience, list it. Then be reasonable and competitive with the market. In Chicago right now, anyone with coding experience in anything other than SQL or Java starts at 90k+ a year. Yes the fag that coded the random Android calculator for .75 cents deserves 90k a year in this market. They might be out of a job in a year when the company fails,, but that doesnt matter. You have to be realistic and competitive or Ill go to any one of 10,000+ other companies for a job

Who said this was an interview you autistic faggot? These are just dumbass graduates I was talking to. We don't interview CS graduates because they are worthless for anything that isn't designing websites or IT work that Prajeet could do just as well.

>I don't know how to code or anything
Then learn how to do that dumbass.

>I want to work in a specific sector but I have no idea bout it.

Also I thought that the Pajeet taking IT jobs is only a US meme
There are no idians here in the Netherlnads at all.

i work for one of the largest corporate law firms in america senpai

yeah......thats why when i learned asm, i went into health care.

I got it. So personal experience talking to the local college rejects vs actually hiring for a position.

Got it.

Im beginning to think you have no idea what you are talking about. Working for the local mom and pop is a far cry from hiring at your local F500.

Did you know the IT budget for a F500 company is roughly 2.3times that of their engineering department? Or that 40% of a F500 company's budget goes into their technology infrastructure? If your company grosses 2 million a year, and they are not putting a minimum of 100k a year into their IT budget, just for freshes, your company deserves to die. If the company is in a regulated industry such as healthcare, you multiply those numbers by 3.

IT should, for any company worth working for, be the number 1 cost of business. That is fact, and honestly someone who argues that doesnt deserve their job. Ill throw 5 phone numbers your way to consulting companies who will tell you the same thing.

Then that is very sad, and I feel bad for all those support staff when they get laid off because Chin Say Wahhh breaches your network and gets IP because the partners were too stubborn or too greedy to invest in proper IT.

It sounds like your company would be far better writing a 500k a year check to a MSR to take care of things for them

we deal in millions of dollars per case and much private info about large american companies, and cutting edge intellectual property for biomed, big pharma, etc. i can tell you firsthand the old farty lawyers in management override security concerns and everyone except staff fills out requests for 'exemptions' so they can have facebook/gmail/vpn/privileges. it drives the IT people nuts and i know its the same at other similar type large corporations like financial services and such. its just reality in todays world. i would argue the smaller companies especially tech oriented ones have the best security because most of their users are computer literate and able to understand security risks and implications of poor digital security

Lol you are such a faggot. I know plenty of people who work as engineers for F500 companies and none of them have the level of retarded security that you talk about except for the government contractors who deal with classified info (they aren't even allowed to bring their phones to work). That shit is unusable and impractical and no engineer is going to tolerate those working conditions. They will either quit and go work for your competitor or find ways to get around it. I understand that IT and security is important for a company but no company is going to get anywhere if they don't have engineers developing new products. Also I do not work for a mom and pop. I work for an international medical devices manufacturer with well over a thousand employees. Not a big company by any means but "mom and pop" is certainly not a good way to describe it.

whats funny is our firm even defends large companies who got sued for data breaches and hacks. thats not to say our company is ignorant, the IT staff is excellent and well meaning but i think they bend too easily for the will of the nonIT bigwigs. but then again we are a lawfirm not an IT company so its about servicing legal needs first and foremost

I will agree and disagree.

Go work at someone like ESRX and ask for facebook access. I guarantee you will have a career counseling session before lunch, not because its forbidden, but because its not productive to your work environment. IT is as much a security device as it is a workflow shaping device.

Your entire day should be spent in 4 screens or less. Ideally with a single monitor, but most times 2. If your time is spent off of those 4 screens or less, you are either A) not given enough work to do or B) your IT department has not given you the resources needed to thrive.

I use to run monthly level 7 network reports for department managers for specifically this. If a specific user was more than occasionally visiting Facebook/twitter/pintrest outside lunch hours, they would be written up at their bi monthly review. And yes, we knew when your lunch was, when your brakes were, and exactly what websites you went to. Meraki made my job so so much easier

So you work in a HIPAA regulated industry and you say things like this?

Please, give me the name of your employer. You deserve to be shut down tomorrow. There is no industry more heavily regulated than healthcare.

No, cell phones are to be turned off and left in your car or in your locker. If you have a cellphone at your desk, you are gone, no questions asked.

Cellphone AND a USB cable? Thumb drive in your drawer? You are not only fired I am calling the police and having a report written out as well as handing you the stock "stay off the property. Must be 500 yards away from any company owned property at all time, etc" paperwork on your way ot

yeah but in reality those rules only apply to underlings like i stated. no one, even the head of IT, is going to say no to a shareholder attorney. they will try to discourage as much as possible and explain all the reasons, but ultimately they have to be clever and figure out alternatives. our company set up a separate low security network and has spare laptops they lend out if attorneys need to access sketchy sites or facebook or whatever for 'business' reasons. but theres always going to be the obstinate old fart with his sherry cabinet and cigar humidor who throws a tantrum and demands xyz IT service exemption, and they give it to him because he brings in millions of dollars of business

IT = stress, depression and sadness

I'm too far down the hole and I don't know what career to transition to.

A companies duty, first and foremost, is obeying the law for the industry it is in. What you just said would get me walking out of an interview in the first 3 minutes.

The second I hear

>>we are a lawfirm not an IT company so its about servicing legal needs first and foremost

Im outy

wtf are you talking about dude, i have only ever heard of that type of security if you work at the NSA or CIA or military base

>No, cell phones are to be turned off and left in your car or in your locker.
Top kek. I can guarantee you no medical device company works this way. Hospitals don't work this way. Only government contractors do that shit (and for good reason).
And are you really suggesting we shouldn't use USB cables in the building? Holy fuck you are fucking batshit crazy. There is no reason for that level of retardedness.

Figure out the core of your day, and go there. For me, the entire IT arena really meant "knowing what the hell that guy said" vs 5 hours a day of spreadsheets on finances, interacting with Execs, and dealing with pissed off important people. That transitioned me well into Operations and purchasing. Skills translate, as long as they arent highly specialized to a specific company or field of work

yeah not an IT company, i only chimed in to explain how its like open season on american IP for the chinamen, and nothing really is there to stop them. the sneaky fucks are even embedded into our gov

foxnews.com/us/2016/08/01/fbi-agent-charged-with-acting-as-agent-china.html
>A veteran FBI electronics technician – who had top secret clearance – pleaded guilty on Monday to one count of acting as an agent of China, and faces up to 10 years in prison.

>Kun Shan Chun, who also went by the name “Joey Chun,” was born in China and began working for the FBI in 1997. Chun's duties with the FBI included "accessing sensitive and, in some instance, classified information." He's set to be sentenced in December.

granted youd think the FBI would be smarter than to hire a chinese national for a top secret position, but then again they let the orlando shooter and boston bomber walk

Read the Hi Tech Act. Read whitepapers for HIPAA regulations. Read about your liability.

Better yet. This is the real question.

Someone has identified you had a security breach last night. Forget details. Go get me the corporate regulations on this. I need a hard copy in my hand in 5 minutes.

If you do not know where that book is, if you have never heard of that book. If you can not do what I just said, your CIO is criminally negligent in his duties.

Government IT work is a very different bag.

Almost my point without getting political.

Ineptitude and out right ignorance seeps into every level of work. From the CIO to the Machinist in Oklahoma

considering the databreaches of like every obamacare website state exchange, numerous public hacks on insurance companies like anthem...its nice you take security seriously but you arent really fooling anyone. healthcare is a monstrosity too big to control and its only getting worse. it is a leaky sieve of personal information from the nurse who leaves the computer in the patient room logged in to the doctor who takes files home to review to receptionist who leaves printed papers on the table when she goes to the bathroom

pbs.org/newshour/updates/has-health-care-hacking-become-an-epidemic/

i can attest to this, applied to an entry level job at a microsoft store and in the group interview there were people with decades of experience vying for a $10/hr job.

I do grunt work for google's search engine algorithm for 13.50/hr now, still have yet to get an IT job.

what are ur credentials?

I wont deny that one bit. No less than 4 pharmacists were fired in my years who wrote their log in info in Sharpie, on the top of the laptop they were given. The thing most people, even those at the top, don't get, is that willful and wanton disregard for the regulations is a federal crime. I wonder honestly if these new kids coming in realize they will go to jail for their manager who tells them to get around the regulations.

Your company memo doesnt mean anything to me. You can put all the red tape around it you want, but I am not sacrificing my life and time with my family because you dont like that our company white list in 30 websites, and isnt going to change any time soon.

But circling all the way back, I guess that is the difference between Parjeet taking over your network and system for $600 per month, per server and $10 a month per desktop (and those are real numbers as of 9 months ago) and paying someone 180k a year to manage 5 guys making 200k+ a year in-house

a+, net+, sec+. when those failed to get me a job, even entry level, i couldn't go spending more money on certifications in hopes of getting something so i settled

holy shit, what is your location? i got an entry level IT job paying $25 an hour and i didnt even have an IT degree or related undergrad (poly sci). just know computers and have played with them since growing up

oklahoma

Funny anecdote on this, though I was slightly horrified.

I went to Tiger Direct about 2 months ago for a video card. Of course they go through the whole sales thing. Mentions "would you like your video card installed by one of our A+ certified technicians?"

I laughed as said something like "the guy who snaps my video card in has to be certified?"

And all serious the cashier was like "oh yes sir, all of our technicians are certified"

Motherfucker. I started in IT back in the day yes, but all I knew how to do was edit text files and some "advanced" keyboard short cuts. You are telling me that I need a certification to make 9 dollars an hour at your store?

Pffff

>wrote their login info in sharpie on laptops
lol, i know people who do this. write their password on a postit and tape it to their laptop. classic best practices right there

ah man, thats probably the problem. see if you can look for a job in a big city and commute in, oklahoma city maybe? otherwise you might have to try a different state...

>Parjeet is not good, fuck that, Parjeet is incredibly bad at taking an email, figuring out that that person said, and resolving that issue quickly, properly, and finally.
And that's why Indian Americans are the highest paid wage group in the US, correct?

kek. i heard tiger direct went out of business?

so what were you responsible for?

Dunno how the IT job climate in OKC is but I live in Tulsa and they're comparable in size, it just seems excessively saturated

Study CISCO network language. Take a one year (or 1,5) course, you should be able to find one.

Its basically issuing a bunch of configuration commands in order to configure private networks both on layers 2 and 3. I hear it gives alot of money.

The alternative is programming routing protocols or server/http shit in java or whatever. Huge pain in the ass.

Yeah I heard CISCO is a good route to go if you have a year to waste studying for it.

just generic 1st tier parjeet helpdesk shit. setting up computers on desks, replacing them, basic troubleshooting if shit froze, opening task manager and quitting frozen programs, installing google ultron, that kind of shit. mostly just being a voice on the end of a phone that someone bitched at while their computer restarted

Apparently the Post-It kept getting ripped off so they went with the more permanent solution.

Just as an insight in how my company worked, these Pharmacists were fired after a almost 2 year long campaign by the IT department to reduce password resets and cut down on tickets. The upper management over my strong objection decided that education was far too costly, so we will just give written warnings to everyone who submits a help ticket.

Awesome! We just made IT everyone's enemy and made sure everyone is going to write their password down on a piece of paper that they store in the same bag as the dam traveling laptop!

Seriously, after 16 years, fuck it. Im done beating my head into a brick wall to make 30k more than a job I can basically phone in (though id never do that)

also formatting their fucking word documents because no one knows how to make table of contents or sort an excel spreadsheet or god forbid, set print area and print your whole fucking spreadsheet instead of just the first 4 columns

I dont know about that. I still get their B2B emails all the time, and as of 2, maybe 3 months ago, there was still a brick and mortar in Schaumburg Illinois

lol they wrote it directly on the laptop. im busting up.

>participating in office politics
absolutely disgusting

>I don't know how to code

codecademy.com

Start learning here. It's free.

The CCNA is now about worthless. Its a throw away cert for level 1 help desk jobs.

A CCNP will get you around 40-50k a year in a major US city and comes with the demands of a "professional" job in corporate America.

A CCNE will get you around 90k a year... but look up the numbers of CCNE holders. Look on Youtube at CCNE rack rentals, and then tell me 90k a year is worth it before we tack on all the other stuff to go along with it

ah i just googled it. they were going out of business in november 2015 but got bought out by another company, they are under new ownership now i guess. i just remember seeing they had like blowout sales on everything

what do you mean by rack rentals? like you rent your own racks for training?

My friend in DC area working as a tester, making 70 the a year. He had some shity 6 month certificate and fake cv and references. Says he is the only guy with proper English in the team, and invite me to join him (incl shity certification). Says he can't hire me, but with his experience he can guide me to such job.

WTF? From what I know incl this thread, he sounds like Nigerian scumer.

That is what you get paid for after you pass lower management. My entire job the last 5 years was ratting people out and making slide shows for next weeks board meeting.

*facepalm* you really have no idea. Working with "doctors" was possibly the worst experiance of my life. At least the never went to college guys I work with now understand that sometimes they are stupid and I can help.

A "doctor" would never accept that someone with no degree could ever know anything they dont.

whats a tester? like a video game tester? network security tester? is he doing his own work contracted out or working for a company?

that sounds exactly like my experience working helpdesk for lawyers

Yes, the CCNE is a "live" test and is all practical. The only way to know what you are doing, is to do it. You MUST work on live networking gear to pass a test like the CCNE.

You can either rent racks or build them. My CCNP rack is sitting next to me still. In fact, Ill sell it for $500 once I find the power cables

Web applications, mostly. Job require some automatation and basic code knowledge, but in general he do monkey manual job and browsing facebook. AFAIK he works on a government contractor, may be that's the key?

Life is so easy for white males.