/lang - Language Learning!

New Years Resolutioners welcome!

>Last few threads were made by a cunt, feel free to ask questions if you're still unsure about what language to learn
We're all friends at /lang/, no need to be a cunt because someone is unsure about what language to invest a few years into.

>Learning resources
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wiki as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0Xg5mWq3nC5
drive.google.com/file/d/0B8N-zyvDIxfLZ09oQlVlOTI2em8/view
reddit.com/r/languagelearning/wiki/index#wiki_hungarian
learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Hungarian
politicalavenue.com/languageschool/Hungarian language learning pack/
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A!x8001ZZZ
accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=find&language=english
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reply to this thread as a poll, and I'll tally up the results and post a nice bar chart:

> Which languages do you know?
> Which language are you learning?
> Which languages do you want to learn, but are not (due to time, effort, etc)?

vocaroo.com/i/s0Xg5mWq3nC5

r8 my accent please

>> Which languages do you know?
English and Lithuanian

>> Which language are you learning?
French and Japanese

>> Which languages do you want to learn, but are not (due to time, effort, etc)?
Russian

Dutch and English
Croatian and Polish
German, Italian eesti
T. Yugo diaspora who lives in the Netherlands but is on vacation on Bosnia

Your voice gave me a hard on desu~
English, Punjabi and Hindi
French
German and Japanese.

you're welcome bby :*)

>completely fell off the learning wagon

hi Yuri

Bitch lasagna

Yuri is a Russian name, jan-klaas

Starts out Slavic accent, then British, then American, then British, then American

Aramaic
Aramaic
Aramaic

Bulgarian, English, Japanese

German and Russian

Irish and Icelandic

Magyar hard. Pls halp.

Look a bit of a language break between Christmas and New Years. I just studied my cards rather than new material. I feel a bit more refreshed now, was far more motivated this morning to listen to Michel Thomas on the way to work today.

Mi are te using to learn magyarul?

Duomemeo and reading through this. drive.google.com/file/d/0B8N-zyvDIxfLZ09oQlVlOTI2em8/view

English, Japanese
German, Italian
A Nordic lang, French

Today is my day of rest, but tomorrow I begin studying again. The break over Christmas was super refreshing.

dead general

English
Spanish
>> Which languages do you want to learn, but are not (due to time, effort, etc)?
French

should i learn french or italian

Depends on your interests. If I was big into art history and/or automotive, or italian cooking, I'd learn Italian. Otherwise I'd learn French.

reddit.com/r/languagelearning/wiki/index#wiki_hungarian
learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Hungarian
politicalavenue.com/languageschool/Hungarian language learning pack/
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A!x8001ZZZ

English
German and Polish
Russian, Tajik, Dutch

Can't get more American than that

>Romanian, English and French
>none right now
>Catalan and Basque

I'm awful at learning too. I'm 32 so maybe that's part of the reason. I moved to Miami and everyone speaks Spanish so that's why the motivation.

Sp*nish
English, French
Latin, German, Russian

>English
>Russian
>Japanese

A lot of people meme online saying if you move country you'll never fit in, native fluency is impossible for a foreigner etc. Are they just being melodramatic or will I sound ridiculous even after years in a country like Germany

>Which languages do you know?
Fluent in German and English. I also made serious efforts learning Hungarian, Czech and Romanian in the past. I went to Hungay and Romania last year and my Hungarian turned out to be still fairly decent considering that I haven't bothered with the language for years. My passive understanding especially is still surprisingly good. I never got as deep into Romanian as with Hungarian and my oral skills are kinda crappy but it was still good enough to communicate with almost anyone. My active oral skills in Czech are abysmal I suspect but my passive understanding is still be pretty good. I studied Czech for over two years in college.

>Which language are you learning?
Serbian, although not that seriously.

>Which languages do you want to learn, but are not (due to time, effort, etc)?
Russian and Japanese.

I think it depends on a lot of factors, one of them being how hard you want to try

And regardless at the end of the day a brit with an accent will fit in better than a poo in loo speaking broken german

>native fluency is impossible for a foreigner etc

Bullshit, unless you consider a native-like accent a requirement for fluency. If you're white and are at least conversational in German you will be accepted fairly quickly.

Probably different for countries with more tight-knit communites though, like Japan.

German is tough to learn but you should be able to "fit in" I would think. Pronunciation is pretty easy, but messing up articles and the cases is apparently a quick give away.

English
German
French, Russian

My gf is Indian and do wonder about the more subtle racism there, especially with people conflating Muslims and anyone brown. Still if I could be fluent and get a job I'm sure we'll both be fine

Portuguese, English and French
Perfecting my French before moving to Spanish
Japanese
Native like fluency is definitely possible for a foreigner, I know a Italian whose portuguese is flawless. He does however have an accent (don't know if this is what you meant) and you can diminish its effects but won't ever get rid of it completely.
Personally, if you nail the grammar chances are you won't ever "sound ridiculous"

I find Germans really helpful when you are a foreigner. If you take up residency there or work there, that all changes though - then you are expected to be absolutely fluent. They are much less accepting than Americans or Brits.

Thanks lads good to be optimistic

Is a "warm up" language a bad idea?
So I am kind of interested in Korean but since it will be my second language I know the learning curb will be steep, especially because of the difficulty of the language itself.
Would learning another easier language be a good idea? I was thinking maybe Portuguese. The point of this being just to be able get a feel as to what language learning is like and maybe a confidence boost.
>I say Portuguese because its still spoken, kind of useful and is a romance language (so it wont be difficult)
I was just wondering if anyone has done this before and your opinions of it,

A warm up language is a bad idea if you're not interested in the language itself. If you don't have any interest in the warm up language besides it being just that you will lose motivation eventually and give up

thanks but I already have a stash of books

Just go for Korean. It’s not that hard anyway.

>The point of this being just to be able get a feel as to what language learning is like
Why? You can just invest that time into the target language and get that feel after a few days/weeks anyway

i wanna try an indian language as my next meme lang
whatd you recommend beside hindi

Don't pussyfoot around and devise plans like that for how to get better at learning languages

Just dive in and start learning gook chatter if that's what you want to do

Also fuck your confidence and motivation, the real important part is discipline and just sticking to it

This is actually why I recommend using Duolingo (not by itself) even if it isn't the best way to learn, because the streak system makes you spend at least a little bit of time every day studying even if you don't feel like it, which is important because you should do SOMETHING every day even if it's just reviewing vocab, if you let yourself go "I don't feel like doing this today" it's that much easier to do that again the next day until you realize you just gave up completely

If you want to learn Korean, just do it, don't worry about shit like a "practice language" or study techniques or any of that, and don't let your self-confidence detract you, you're only doing this for yourself and you're not on a schedule with a deadline to be fluent by, so take as much time as you need and figure out what type of studying works best for you

by allah cease your faggotry and start learning

Punjabi or Bhojpuri
That's where all the local memes here come from (besides Hindi ofc)

why do they have more than one r reeeeee

French and English
Italian and German
Latin, Irish, Hungarian

Punjabi

t. seen quite a few punjabi qts

I know Romanian (native) and English.
Currently learning German.
Would like to learn French or Spanish after I finish with German.

French, English
Japanese, German
Russian, Chinese

English and Croatian.
French.
I'm not really into learning languages but I want to learn something and French seemed like a nice idea because I was into Alcest at the time, I've been on it for 6 months already casually reading a few pages of anything a day but I'm being discouraged by my friends every day because studying languages is frowned upon here.
I wish I was better at it and had more discipline but I'll never use it anyway. It would be better if I read literature or studied math but whatever. I was approached by a Belgian the other day who asked for directions in French but I ended up telling him in English which he knew better than I do.

It's all useless, I don't know.

Dude your right.
I really needed this thankyou.

A post for English learners

something earlier got me thinking about this; I wanted a sentence with every phoneme (British RP).
I found some references to this being called a "phonemic pangram" but none of the ones I saw were perfect. So I've added to them so that they contain the 12 vowels, 8 diphthongs and 24 consonants of British RP.

>But are those shy Eurasian footwear, cowboy chaps, or jolly earthmoving headgear?
Unnatural but concise and contains all 44 phonemes.

>Now, please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: five thick slabs of blue cheese -- I don't care what kind, just something European -- six spoons of fresh snow peas, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can put these things into three beige bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station and bring her here.
Slightly more natural. This one is from a database of speakers reading a text, you can see it here and listen to readers with different accents. The transcriptions aren't always accurate imo.
accent.gmu.edu/browse_language.php?function=find&language=english

I hope you find this useful.

Russian (native), Ukrainian and English. Also I can read in Polish and Czech.
French.
>Which languages do you want to learn, but are not (due to time, effort, etc)?
Ancient Greek, Latin, German. Other European too, but not so much.

English and Portuguese
French and Esperanto
Spanish, Chinese and Indonesian

This is the best place I could think to ask. Does anyone have even the slightest idea what this says/means? "puvidibisinri" My best guess is that it's "it isn't so bad" in Chichewa, but I really have no clue otherwise.

[spoiler]Backstory, in case you care - which you probably don't, but still. I was browsing some sites and basically just mucking about, and I clicked on the security certificate for one of the sites. Apparently, you can see a list of other sites which have also been granted a certificate from that authority (or maybe it's like 20/certificate, I really don't know). The point is, it ended in my finding some really obscure sites, with puvidibisinri.cf being the most interesting out of them all, just because I have no idea what it is. It's probably just someone's test site, but still. I'd at least be a bit happier if I knew what the domain name was. But fuck, it might even just be gibberish. Oh well.[/spoiler]

Thanks in advance.

German(N), English(C2), French(B2)
French, Japanese
Chinese

I know English and enough French to communicate basically and read a Wikipedia article.
Currently learning Esperanto and Italian
I want to learn Russian, German, and Yiddish.

> I'm being discouraged by my friends every day because studying languages is frowned upon here.

Lol wut, how does this even exist, especially in a country that has only a few million speakers

English, Spanish (yes, CHI here)
French
Russian(grill i like is russian, and plus i'll be going to the World Cup this summer), and maybe later I would like to learn German

Spanish
English, french
Dutch, german, russian

English
Russian
Greek, Polish, Swedish, Hindi, Spanish

>All these people that want to but aren't learning Russian

I'm surprised that one is an even more popular answer for that question than Japanese

we are not all weebs

>English, Punjabi
>French
>Russian, German, Italian, Chinese, Japanese

I'm a weeb but noodlerunes turn me off, and Russian seems pretty neat.

bump

Should I learn Persian or Kurdish (Kurmanji)?

No

What do you suggest then?

I like Persian because it sounds gorgeous, but Kurdish is cool because it's similar to Persian but not written with Islamic squiggles

I'm just shitposting, learn whatever you want, if it was me I'd choose Kurdish over Persian for the reason you described

Yeah you're probably right, and if I learn Kurdish first then learning Persian should be a breeze because they're from the same branch.

Thanks m8.

Only Kurds in Turkey use the Latin alphabet. Kurds in Iraq, Syria, and Iran write Kurdish in the Arabic script.

At least Kurdish somewhat has the option for the Latin script. I can just learn the Arabic script somewhere down the line, which will make the transition to Persian that much easier.

Kurdish isn't a centralised language, it's actually three closely related but separate languages (Kurmanji, Sorani, Palewani) and that are largely unintelligible to each other.

Back when I was in highschool, two Kurdish girls in my class had trouble understanding each other when speaking Kurdish, despite the fact that they were both Turkish Kurds.

learn Tajik

How close are Belarussian and Ukrainian to Russian? Will I be able to pick up the latter two easily after I'm fluent in Russian? They seem similar enough

>Know
English
>Learning
Swedish
>Want to learn
Finnish

>listening to spanish documentary while browsing thread in english
>brain shuts down and can't understand either
what the HECK

english
japanese + spanish
portuguese, romanian, vietnamese

I'm so glad that I wasn't born a monolingual mutt. I feel for you man.

Kek, that's detrimental to your learning lad.
Your brain is constantly splitting its focus between understanding the spoken Spanish and the written English, essentially any sound is a disturbance which in turn becomes a distraction.
If you think it's bullshit there's plenty of research, like from the University of Wales (in relation to noise/disturbances) and the University of Utah (in relation to multitasking).

Actually studies show that people who grew up as simultaneous bilinguals don't have this problem, because every time a word is heard or read in one of the languages, the brain of these people conjures up the word in the other known language subconsciously every time. But yeah, monolingual people shouldn't do this because the connections in the brain didn't consolidate like this when developing during childhood/teenage years.

Does it have any actual sense to learn kazakh to me? I have been doing well without it living here for whole my life.

>What languages do you know?
English and German

>Which languages are you learning?
Spanish and Greek

>Which languages do you want to learn, but are not?
Russian, Italian, French, Cantonese, Dutch

You're missing my point, Candianon.
What I'm referring to is simply the distraction that occurs from doing several tasks at the same time, no matter if you're a monolingual or a polyglot (which I anecdotally can confirm, having being raised in an essentially multilingual ambient and being proficient at a fair share of languages).
Although I understand what you're referring to with subconscious recalling of words.

English, Cree, German(?)
German, Russian
Stoney/Nakota

Oki! (I only know some Blackfoot, sorry user)

Oh I got you. Although I have known people who have been more efficient when listening to lyric-less music, but that's pretty much the most ''distraction'' I've seen people tolerate and not lose efficiency. Anything with dialogue should be avoided.

English
Russian
Spanish

probably. Russian will eventually be purged from Kazakhstan entirely

namôya nitayahciyinîmon
I dont know any blackfoot either
Sorry too

how do you people keep interest in the language you’re trying to learn?
I’m a depressed neet mess, and would like being able to force myself to at least do this, even if slowly

Also forgot, I want to learn Scottish Gaelic, but I have no idea where on Earth to learn it.

Priorities mate. Fix your life before learning languages. This is simple Maslow theory, once you take care of your basic needs, everything else will follow.

If you really need to learn that language for whatever reason, it’ll be easier, because the improvements will be useful for you.
Apart from that it’s basic discipline, like every other hobby or activity. Being a depressed NEET is definetely not conductive to language learning. Personally for me, I started to make a lot more progress after getting a job, simply because I value the time that I have more

are you Canadian linguist who was trying to learn Algonquian languages?