Go to tvtropes.org

>go to tvtropes.org
>click the blue "Random Trope" button at the top right
>post results

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GreenEyedEpiphany
web.archive.org/web/20110303073901/http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TroperTales/BadassBoast
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheHypnotoad
journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1474704916652144
youtube.com/watch?v=i-gsshqRGaU
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Administrivia/PeopleSitOnChairs
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
the-numbers.com/movie/Kimi-no-na-wa-(Japan)#tab=summary
supremecarlos.net/post/155932824647/your-name-kimi-no-na-wa-just-became-the
aramajapan.com/news/tvmovie/your-name-kimi-no-na-wa-surpasses-spirted-away-as-highest-grossing-film-in-japan/69666/
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-17/shinkai-your-name-tops-spirited-away-as-highest-grossing-anime-film-worldwide/.111141
escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169311-Your-Name-Beats-Spirited-Away-in-Gross
independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/your-name-spirited-away-highest-grossing-anime-of-all-time-a7530876.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_anime_films
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FullMotionVideo
youtube.com/watch?v=VExXdZ9shQY
keitai-project.wikia.com/wiki/Keit-Ai_Project_Wiki
fanfiction.net/s/7950479/1/Cellphones
fictionpress.com/s/3206139
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
youtube.com/watch?v=k4xGqY5IDBE
myanimelist.net/anime/32281/Kimi_no_Na_wa
forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/11/08/kimi-no-na-wa-makes-oscar-consideration-list-for-best-animated-feature/
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-28/your-name-anime-film-earns-19.4-billion-yen-to-surpass-princess-mononoke/.109255
madman.com.au/news/your-name-wins-best-animated-film-at-the-los-angeles-critics-awards/
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-17/shinkai-your-name-becomes-no.1-japanese-film-in-china-of-all-time/.110044
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-19/shinkai-your-name-becomes-no.1-japanese-film-in-thailand-of-all-time/.110097
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-06/shinkai-your-name-film-opens-at-no.1-in-s-korea/.110606
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-05/shinkai-your-name-jumps-41-percent-in-box-office-from-last-weekend/.110671
comicbook.com/anime/2017/01/16/kimi-no-na-wa-becomes-highest-grossing-anime-film-ever/
animetourism.lab-kadokawa.com/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YellowLightningBlueLightning
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Serial Killer
>A Serial Killer is defined as someone who commits multiple murders, out of some kind of mental or sexual compulsion, in separate incidents with at least a few days in between killings. This is their "cooling off" period, when they temporarily lose the compulsion to kill, and distinguishes them from Spree Killers, who kill in much more regular intervals of weeks or days, if they don't simply go on a murderous rampage that usually ends only when someone captures or kills them. The minimum death toll to be classified as a serial killer is 3-5 people, providing they were killed in separate incidents over a period of more than 30 days. If numerous people are killed in a single incident (e.g. someone murders an entire family in their home), that is mass murder, though mass murderers can and do become serial killers if they act multiple times.

I... I guess that's a trope.

>go to Reddit
>stay there

>head
>nice and hot

>Sword/Shield Contest
>The sword is a common metaphor for warfare and aggression, and has been since ancient times. The shield is just as common as a metaphor for defense and protection. With two such iconic examples of related but opposite concepts, it's inevitable that they will be used together as a meta-metaphor to draw attention to the difference between the two. This trope is not about literal swords and shields, but about when an author or a character speaks of swords and shields together.

I honked heartily user ty

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GreenEyedEpiphany

>The jealousy-spurred Love Epiphany of a character who's in love with someone else, but has been in denial about this up until now.

>Before the crisis, the character is perfectly fine being Just Friends or totally platonic bickering partners with another. But then, that other character gets romantically involved with an interloper, causing their not-at-all love interest to suddenly feel the sting of their absence. Once they finally admit to themselves their feelings, the Romantic False Lead's got hell to pay.

ugh, I hate this fucking trope. It's always so unrealistic. Really only appears in trash like soap operas and rom coms anyway.

web.archive.org/web/20110303073901/http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TroperTales/BadassBoast

>Reading the illiad
>Patroklus dies and Achilleus rallies
>Oh shit this trope was in avengers with agent coulson
>TVtropes calls it Sacrificial Lion
>Go to literature examples
>All YA bullshit
>No reference to the Illiad, the foundation of western literature

what happened to the rape tropes?

>It's always so unrealistic
this has happened to me like 5 times. 2 of the guys are now dead, 1 was ruled a murder. I'm 100% serious. Not that it was me or anything.

Yea, that's easily one of my biggest gripes with tvtropes. The literature sections are lacking like crazy. Really, the only good sections are vidya and anime.

i think i win

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheHypnotoad

>It's always so unrealistic.

But this is literally how women think. There are actual studies that show women find men with girlfriends more desirable than equally attractive single men. That a woman would partner with the man shows the prospective woman that the man must be good to have as a partner, which could very well tip the scale for her and make her suddenly realize maybe there was something she didn't notice about the guy that should make her try to get him for herself.

Here's an example of a recent study on the matter: journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1474704916652144

It's not unrealistic at all. It's actually reality. Moreso for women than men, but still.

KEK

What is it specifically about tvtropes that is just so fucking lame?

>it ain't him starts playing
I hate this trope

They literally had to steal a term from classical rhetoric to disguise the fact they spend their lives analysing cliches in lowest common denominator media.

youtube.com/watch?v=i-gsshqRGaU

>tvtropes.org
Disco Dan! ;)

First result is dumb frogposter

Second result is fa/tv/irgin

>Coincidental Broadcast
>Any television or radio accidentally turned on during a tension-filled moment will automatically display a news story relevant to or actually about the current source of dramatic tension. Incidentally, the broadcast will either be just starting or give enough detail for the characters (and viewers) to know what's going on, even if the characters turn on the television on advice from a telephone call. Often the news reporter will come off slightly Medium Aware, saying something like "We repeat..." or (more realistically) "For those of you just tuning in..." From watching this broadcast, the viewer(s) will gain an insight — or a kick in the pants — which will launch the next phase of the story. They will also never start mid-word when turning on the channel.
>This is also rapidly becoming a Discredited Trope considering how many sources parody this convention, even if the rise of 24-hour rolling news networks makes it much easier to Hand Wave nowadays. Can be an example of Worst News Judgement Ever, if the story doesn't merit its place in the headlines.

I've felt this, sort of. It wasn't a huge revelation, more like some weird aggression towards someone and when she found a boyfriend I got even more emotional and started to accept that I was in love (or whatever the teenage counterpart to love is)
But I agree, anyone who does that outside of their teens is not a capable human being

I didn't think there could be a more autistic place than Sup Forums, but tvtropes definitely takes that title.

Not every single fucking thing in existence is a "trope." These nerds put shit like "breathing" as a trope and have a huge article with references to characters who breathed.

>Open and Shut Case

>"It seems like an open-and-shut case... or is it?"

>A line heard far too often in episode descriptions.

>There's many variations of this ubiquitous Crime And Punishment trope, so we'll just give one:

>We've got a defense lawyer with blonde highlights. She's a hot, young version of Perry Mason. One day, she gets a call from her friends in the Deep South. A black guy is only a few weeks away from the ultimate vaccination, which will stop him from getting any illnesses ever again by virtue of being dead. It seemed like (here's those dreaded words again) an "open-and-shut case":

>Mr. Smith's wife and three children were found horribly murdered. Mr. Smith was arrested by the police, his shirt covered in his daughter's blood. He confessed, was tried and was sentenced to a permanent cure to his problems.

>The lawyer investigates the case. She finds out that the Corrupt Hick sheriff was responsible, the confession was obtained under duress and the blood was from him cradling his dying daughter.

>This one still gets going because forensic evidence, even today, is subject to interpretation.

On our way, buddy
>daily reminder that anything you post on Sup Forums is legally admissible in court

It's a Wiki, idiot. Add it yourself.

>Headlock of Dominance
>A schoolyard staple, the headlock is a fighting move where victim's head is pinned between the assaulter's arm and body. In a legitimate fight, this is a bad idea to hold someone like this for an extended time as it leaves someone fairly exposed and simple to break free from. When someone is put (and held) in a headlock in fiction, it's usually a sign that the fight is being completely dominated. Sometimes you can punch the person you've got in a headlock for added dominance.
>The move is commonly associated with The Bully, both in real life and in fiction. It's also often a sign of a Curb-Stomp Battle.
>Compare Spinning Piledriver and Suplex Finisher.

TroperTales are the best part of the site.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Administrivia/PeopleSitOnChairs

FINDS

A boy falls in love with a girl.
Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.
But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC’s own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.
Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

Would honestly watch.

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic

Threadly reminder that Keit-ai is now the highest grossing anime film of all time.

>$353.3 million

the-numbers.com/movie/Kimi-no-na-wa-(Japan)#tab=summary
supremecarlos.net/post/155932824647/your-name-kimi-no-na-wa-just-became-the
aramajapan.com/news/tvmovie/your-name-kimi-no-na-wa-surpasses-spirted-away-as-highest-grossing-film-in-japan/69666/
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-17/shinkai-your-name-tops-spirited-away-as-highest-grossing-anime-film-worldwide/.111141
escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169311-Your-Name-Beats-Spirited-Away-in-Gross
independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/your-name-spirited-away-highest-grossing-anime-of-all-time-a7530876.html

now tell me what ISN'T a trope

Why are Sup Forums memes so fucking cringe?

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FullMotionVideo
That ain't a trope

It turned out it was literally one flip subhuman spamming it all the time.

>In a legitimate fight, this is a bad idea to hold someone like this for an extended time as it leaves someone fairly exposed and simple to break free from.

t. karate expert who totally wasn't bullied in school because he could have broken out of those headlocks any time he liked.

It's actually really simple. It's one of those things untrained people do that's basically inviting you to get one over on them.

youtube.com/watch?v=VExXdZ9shQY

Personally I just turned it into a wrestling move, I just held the guy by his waist and lifted him over me slamming his back onto the concrete.
The guy had to go home because his breathing was fucked but I got away with it. The next day his friend did the same shit but I somehow turned it into a half boston crab and only then did niggas back the fuck off.

Thanks WCW Nitro.

>Manic Pixie Dream Girl
>Let's say you're a soulful, brooding male hero, living a sheltered, emotionless existence. If only someone could come along and open your heart to the great, wondrous adventure of life... Have no fear, the Manic Pixie Dream Girl is here to give new meaning to the male hero's life! She's stunningly attractive, high on life, full of wacky quirks and idiosyncrasies (generally including childlike playfulness and a tendency towards petty crime), often with a touch of wild hair dye. She's inexplicably obsessed with our stuffed-shirt hero, on whom she will focus her kuh-razy antics until he learns to live freely and love madly.

>Keit-Ai now has a TV Tropes page

Mami Kawada's Lover?

Wait, you're alleging one guy did all this?

keitai-project.wikia.com/wiki/Keit-Ai_Project_Wiki
fanfiction.net/s/7950479/1/Cellphones
fictionpress.com/s/3206139
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
youtube.com/watch?v=k4xGqY5IDBE
myanimelist.net/anime/32281/Kimi_no_Na_wa
forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/11/08/kimi-no-na-wa-makes-oscar-consideration-list-for-best-animated-feature/
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-28/your-name-anime-film-earns-19.4-billion-yen-to-surpass-princess-mononoke/.109255
madman.com.au/news/your-name-wins-best-animated-film-at-the-los-angeles-critics-awards/
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-17/shinkai-your-name-becomes-no.1-japanese-film-in-china-of-all-time/.110044
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-19/shinkai-your-name-becomes-no.1-japanese-film-in-thailand-of-all-time/.110097
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-06/shinkai-your-name-film-opens-at-no.1-in-s-korea/.110606
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-05/shinkai-your-name-jumps-41-percent-in-box-office-from-last-weekend/.110671
comicbook.com/anime/2017/01/16/kimi-no-na-wa-becomes-highest-grossing-anime-film-ever/
animetourism.lab-kadokawa.com/

>Veganopia

>Peaceful, idyllic societies have a tendency to be vegetarian (if not vegan) in fiction. As often as not, these societies are portrayed as being morally, perhaps even spiritually/magically superior to our own, implying that humanity's meat-eating habit is somehow holding us back from living in a world of Crystal Spires and Togas. Sometimes it can be downright Anvilicious.

Some cases aren't so focused on the evils of eating animals so much as how circumstances might force people to adopt a vegetarian diet. See Future Food Is Artificial for examples of this.

Races that refrain from meat-eating simply because their digestive physiology is herbivorous aren't necessarily examples of this trope — if they have to eat plants, they're not really demonstrating moral superiority by doing so — but such species may subvert this trope's expectations if they're violently aggressive in spite of their diet.

Probably stems from the issues raised by Carnivore Confusion and Let's Meet the Meat. See also Mary Suetopia and Perfect Pacifist People. See Herbivores Are Friendly for the herbivorous animal equivalent.

Sauce.

It used to be better. Then it got popular and every faggot wanted to post it. It's annoying to read nowadays.
That was the nothing personel thing? Embarassing.

I dunno, this was just what I heard from the time when Sup Forums had flags.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YellowLightningBlueLightning

Why is this a trope? Who cares about the color of lightning in movies?

Will they make a page too about how in movies thunder sounds at the same time as lightning strikes unlike in real life?