Tony's 2017

No thread for this? Where's musical Sup Forums? It's on in a few minutes, Kevin Spacey hosts.

variety.com/2017/legit/news/tony-awards-live-stream-2017-how-to-watch-online-1202459029/

Other urls found in this thread:

nowwatchtvlive.cc/watch-cbs-channel-usa-live-online-cbs-channel
youtube.com/watch?v=6y8qqGn_YRA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wow, Kevin "the straightest man in Hollywood" Spacey hosting the Tonys?

Adam West tribute time

I can't find a good livestream and I'm away from a TV, fml

Any stream not requiring CBS subscription (not American)?

Was he ever on Broadway?

Stream?

What a ridiculous scenario.

How can spacey be so damn likeable?

Groundhog Day is garbage.

Great Comet needs to win everything.

>catched

Can musicals be kino?

>he hasn't seen The Prince of Egypt

>this opening bit goes on for another 3 hours before anything is announced

>I AM COMING OUT

What did Spacey mean?

nowwatchtvlive.cc/watch-cbs-channel-usa-live-online-cbs-channel

holy shit THIS is Come From Away? I'm glad I couldn't find a download for it now.

Why the fuck is there a North Korean army in the background

To prove a point.

uhhh they're vietnamese and they're the cast from miss saigon

I made a general for the past 2 years that got tons of posters but I cba this year.

original musicals have been pretty bad this year. Not one stand out, really.

Great Comet is pretty good.

Ugh, why do they keep cutting the design awards? I hate it when they give those kinds of awards the shaft.

So are you.

it's a transfer though.

Dear Evan Hansen is the tentpole and it's really schmaltzy. Groundhog Day is fucking awful, which is really really surprising.

Anastasia didn't even get nominated for much. fuck this year.

Define theater (duh, of fucking course they are kino, but only if you think a musical is good).

wow this thread really is dead compared to last year. we had at least 15 people who knew their shit posting consistently.

where are the musical fans at?

me. all the musicals are unremarkable. Even my favourite, Falsettos pales in comparison to the original production and the cast.

>tony awards
>hosted by a guy named kevin
>baka

love me some Falsettos. it's getting a theatrical release this week y'know. the pbs premiere is in the fall.

a transfer?

And yeah, Groundhog Day was very disappointing considering how great Matilda is.
Stuck, Small Town USA, and There Will Be Sun are great songs but the rest of the musical veers off in a terrible direction.
Andy Karl fucking sucks too.
>Anastasia didn't even get nominated
It only begun recently.

>I'm gonna miss Twin Peaks for this shit

Why is it so boring this year? Not even Spacey is saving this.

Kevin Spacey should host every awards show

HELP

HELP

who watches award shows?

it was already an Off Broadway darling. It's not a new noteworthy production.

Falsettos is like 5 musicals going on all at once. I don't know how they did this every night.

Tracy Thoms is underrated tbqh.

YO, i'm overseas and already lost the whole opening and some numbers, got really frustrated.

Do you guys know WHERE i can find a good torrent of the whole transmission in the future? I figured it wont be in regular movie torrent sites.

Also, Comet will get everything and ben platt best actor.

it'll be everywhere. it's not hard to find.

yeah Ben is a given. especially when his closest competitor broke his damn knee a week before opening.

>t was already an Off Broadway darling
I didn't know that, unfortunate.
Hopefully next year will be better.
Maybe I can get my Jack The Ripper musical from 4th grade off the ground.

>his closest competitor broke his damn knee a week before opening.
Wait who?

People are sayan that Steele could win, but i find him a little OVERrated, to be honest. I liked anatole but is more the character than him, i think.

Maybe tomorrow we have a torrent? Shit.

>>DEH won for Best Score
But the score is lackluster as fuck.

Andy Karl

Andy Karl tore his knee a week before it opened and performed opening night with reduced choreography.

Dear Evan Hansen is so cheesy. jesus.

I thought Johnny Carson was dead.

True niggas are watching hockey.

it just makes me wish Letterman was still on.

BLACK WAIFU KINO

I was visiting with my sister's fiance's parents and missed the first hour, anything good happen?

Hamilton won everything so far.

the entire evening feels like everyone is taking an off-year break. Spacey is just being Spacey so there's that I guess.

I love musicals, but I don't have cable. I just look at the highlights on YouTube afterwards.

Has anything related to Groundhog Day happened yet? I was hoping that Hope would be the Tony's performance.
>Groundhog Day is fucking awful, which is really really surprising.
I haven't had the opportunity to see the show in person, but for God's sake, the soundtrack album is fantastic. How could you not like it? I've listened to it at least five times so far.

>Stuck, Small Town USA, and There Will Be Sun are great songs but the rest of the musical veers off in a terrible direction.
Hope and If I Had My Time Again are great.

Groundhog Day is so f*cking lame.

>I was visiting with my sister's fiance's parents
why?

Have you people seen the actual show, or are you just shitting on the lovely soundtrack?

>How could you not like it? I've listened to it at least five times so far.
the kind of soft-shoe showtune stuff isn't my bag. musically it isn't interesting or innovative at all. the lyrics are fine.

Compare it to the upper echelons of what musical theater can achieve (Sondheim, Rodgers & Hammerstein, ALW, etc) and it's like music for children.

>tfw lacamoire beats malloy to best orchestrations

tony voters must literally eat shit

That's a nice curtain. Excellent quality.

>They're not doing the title number live from the Shubert
Damn. Oh well, at least we get a performance of the cut song.

I hardly get to see musicals at all so I mostly judge on albums. Nothing on that OBC makes me want to see the show anyhow.

I'm shitting on the "lovely" soundtrack.
Tim Minchin really dropped the ball.

cnn btfo

I love Sara's nose so much

>Sondheim
I've seen Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd, West Side Story, and Assassins.

>Rodgers & Hammerstein
They did The Sound of Music, right? Or maybe The Music Man? I think they did one of those.

>ALW
Phantom had a great soundtrack but was mediocre at best in every other regard. I wish Whistle Down the Wind got more love.

>They did The Sound of Music, right? Or maybe The Music Man? I think they did one of those.
please be under 20 years old.

There was no big meme musical this year.

I hate the 90s rock shit they did with the soundtrack, it's so ugly.
They made Rita Hanson black but didn't write her like a black woman.
Andy Karl is shit and Phil Connors is an unsympathetic asshole.
And the music isn't that interesting or memorable.

Sorry, I'm 21.

I got into musicals when I was a teenager, but I don't consume pre-80's media that often, with the exception of golden age animation.

I named The Music Man and The Sound of Music because they're both iconic musicals with great soundtracks and story problems, and I credit those story problems to the fact that they were made at a time when people were more tolerant of that sort of thing. People today, myself included, want every song to either move along the story or deliver information about the characters/setting. Ya Got Trouble is a GOAT-tier number, but Shipoopi literally adds nothing. It's a catchy song, but it could've been released on a standalone album.

>They made Rita Hanson black but didn't write her like a black woman.
1. She's mixed.
2. I doubt they'd already cast Rita when the book was being written.
3. writing her like a black woman would be raciss ;_;

The Tonys are probably the awards show with the biggest variation in quality from year to year, just because there aren't as many eligible theatrical productions as there are recorded pieces of music, films, or television programs.

then get to work on a CIA musical so we can have a good thread next year.

and since they're performing, EVERYONE with an interest in broadway should listen to Billy Porter's latest album. It's basically a 90s/Y2K r'n'b take on Rodgers & Hammerstein. it's fucking amazing.

youtube.com/watch?v=6y8qqGn_YRA

Why are the Tony's shown on national TV when the plays are only in New York City? Only a very small amount of people have seen them.

>I credit those story problems to the fact that they were made at a time when people were more tolerant of that sort of thing
Almost all musicals have story problems because the writers think music is more important than story, Disney films are very reflective of that.

I like how they're doing this as a straight up awards show and not shoveling political crap at everyone for 3 hours straight.

that's fair. most people grow up with R&H alongside the Disney classics. The musical sophistication of those golden age shows are light years ahead of most of the stuff produced today, but you do have to tune to their rhythms.

When you see enough musicals you start to appreciate what they did a lot more. They're rooted in classical tradition, which has a lot more color and tonality compared to today's musicals which are all contemporary pop influenced (i.e. simplified and basic)

It's a shame most musicals have turned their back on their operatic roots.

even this Scott Frankel show isn't all that good.

and Grey Gardens is one of the all-time greats.

The big hit musicals make millions of dollars and people come from all over the country and pay hundreds of dollars for tickets.

>Almost all musicals have story problems because the writers think music is more important than story, Disney films are very reflective of that.
Pretty much every Disney musical since Menken/Ashman signed onto Little Mermaid has used its songs to move the story along.

But I do like the sound of old musicals. I just don't like it when a song doesn't actually add anything to the story.

1. Black is black.
2. Maybe not, but it's possible that that was just Tim's vision, she was black on the West End too.
3. It's not that hard to find a black person to check you. Mel Brooks had Richard Pryor help with Blazing Saddles. Quentin Tarantino has Samuel L. Jackson in every movie to oversee him. If he thought it didn't matter than he shouldn't have made her black.

>has used its songs to move the story along.
that doesn't mean that the writing and characterization aren't lackluster.

I think ALW writes completely story driven.

Can't think of any song that's wasted, unless you count the whole of CATS.

How do I get my musical on Broadway?

Be already in the theater community and work your ass off.

FINALLY

BATMAN BEGINS

Lol accountancy

Who /TrialAndError/ here?????

TWO SCOOPS

Mean Girls, seriously?

It's genius in it's simplicity, really.

I hate Bette Midler so fucking much fuck this show

This is her first competitive Tony.

How the fuck is she allowed to talk that long, like why the fuck didn't security just carry her out

Also I saw a lot of people in tuxedos on 5th ave today so that was cool

They should've revoked her award for that. Fucking entitled cow.

fucking scripted-ass joke asides

It should've been Great Comet.

At least she didn't get political.