What's the appeal of this guy?

What's the appeal of this guy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VpYdxKYqO00
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you're familiar with pre-wave French cinema, which was heavy and over-dramatic and very self-important, it's easy to see why something as breezy and stylishly nihilistic as Godard's films were as big as they were.
By modern standards though he's bland, I think.

>What's the appeal of this guy?
Look at him. /fa/ as fuck.

Deconstruction, subversion and political commentary. I hate him tho, he's too smug and self important and seems that pretty much everything he does he does it only to show how clever he is and how stupid everybody else is.

i hatteeee holywood so much! my favs? anything by godard n wes anderson :)

if you tell people you like him and force yoursef to stay awake during his boring flicks they will think you're smart.

same as fellini, tarkovsky and bergman.

the qt to end all qts

she is mine g-get the back off!!!

Historical significance.

Social commentary, 4th wall breaking, great sound design and long takes

>average Sup Forums user can't even handle entry level cinema
Can't stop laughing.

>tfw she will never sing to you about her ligne de chance
youtu.be/VpYdxKYqO00

Dont forget the
>unique set decorations
>fashionable costumes/clothes
>artistic dialogues

you're the average Sup Forums user pretending to like something so everyone will fawn over you and say, "oh isn't user a goddamn genius he likes this 4 hour black and white movie about nothing."

fuck off

just fucking kill me

Average Sup Forums user can't even get past the fact that some movies are black and white.. hmm

>there needs to be a plot to enjoy something
you are the epitome of a bitter pleb.you are too close minded and afraid to like something because of stereotypical labels that someone will use on you.just kys my dude

Dude you're like the most bitter pleb kid I've ever encountered in this place. It's okay if you don't like things, but try to understand that there are people out there who enjoy not being treated like retarded kids.

we get it, you like to be contrarian and praise 2deep4u snorefests. now please fuck off back to le upboat patrician website and jerk each other off about it. no one cares.

>you must not get it
hey reddit

>It's contrarian to like Fellini, Bergman or Tarkovski, some of the most respected artists of the 21st century
>Go somewhere else if you want to talk about movies, this thread about movies is not for that.

K kid. Have fun.

typical capeshit fan

>If you're familiar with pre-wave French cinema, which was heavy and over-dramatic and very self-important
There's nothing Godard did that Jean Renoir and Marcel Pagnol didn't already do.

>pre-wave French cinema being heavy and over-dramatic and very self-important

Mostly a meme

Godard didn't do anything new (yes even postmodernism), but he is at the forefront of some of the first independent filmmakers in France. He has a somewhat comprehensive knowledge of film history and puts it in his flicks, so he along with Kubrick are people academics like to point towards for newcomers as examples of the importance of knowing the canon.

>Accuses people of browsing Reddit
>A site where users mostly watch clearly and mediocre summer blockbusters

No need to feel so insecure

>4th wall breaking
Already done by Chaplin
>great sound design
Already done in Outskirts 1933
>long takes
Already done by Jean Renoir
>social commentary
I don't even have to tell you this one

Aside from being the forefront of one of the most important film movements, I'll say two things.

One: alternative filmmaking. I wouldn't exactly call his movies ground-breaking, but he did show that there's no solid rule on how to make movies. Look at his editing in his movies like that shooting scene in Vivre Sa Vie. You don't see that kind of editing in other movies of that era, it's jarring, but it manages to convey do much more than a normal cut or panning the camera to the shooting.

Two (this is more of a personal observation): His movies are "energetic". By that I mean you see a lot of movement in his movies like the dancing scene in Band of Outsiders. It feels like he injected adrenaline into his movies, which is why scenes where the characters meander in a certain location never feel boring.

his films all have the same theme
>LOOK HOW CLEVER I AM UPBOAT ME ON REDDIT

Redditors do not like to watch art house movies.

What are jump cuts? Your an utter moron if you think Goddard is in any way similar to those two. Goddard's cinema bucked traditional film narrative. There's a reason Breathless is seen as so revolutionary. It skips traditionally important events in film's plot (the killing of the cop is barely visible on screen), its callbacks to other films, jump cuts were a new form of editing. And this is only in Breathless, his later films basically abandoned traditional plots and became even more radical (these films are also worse and he hasn't really made many great works after the 60s).

Renoir's cinema on the other hand is entirely about mise-en-scene. And as for Pagnol his films are even less "cinematic" since he adopted from his plays and employed even less film techniques.

t. reddit

If you're going to stereotype a group of people do it correctly. I'm sure you hate it when people lump Sup Forums and Sup Forums together with the entirety of Sup Forums

His early films were funny and unique. Then he became involved with Maoism and became a bitter old self-important cunt.

Truffaut was much, much better than him.

>mfw never watched a single film from the acclaimed old masters or whatever
What am I missing out on?

He was a maoist fucking idiot when that stupid thing was cool so people get with that.

he should have been dead instead of Truffaut. fuck him, I'll be finally happy when he dies.

cuteness

Some of the greatest movies of all time. You get to see how the movies influenced the entire medium to this very day on a technical and thematic level. There is a reason why modern filmmakers hold them in very high regard.

post 66 godard > pre66 godard > truffaut
>he should have been dead instead of Truffaut. fuck him, I'll be finally happy when he dies.
jesus christ, get laid faggot

Arthouse directors sure have great tarts when it comes to waifus

Jump cuts were literally in cinema since the beginning with Melies. I didn't even think that should have had to be said, but you clearly ousted yourself as a pleb, And no, none of the editing in Godard's films is new. Griffith, Gance, and Eisenstein already did it all.

>callbacks to other films
Literally already done by Chaplin in the '10s. Buster Keaton with Three Ages, King Vidor with Show People, James Cruze with Hollywood, hundreds of others.

And postmodernism was already done by James Whale.

>Pagnol uncinemtic
Godard literally considered him one of the best French directors. Pass Film History 101, babby.

breaking news: Sup Forums hates actual good directors and rather have endless threads about capeshit

>post 66 godard
>muh Maoism and jane "traitor" fonda
He wasn't the first to do film portraits or essays

He's overrated. Hell, he's not even best french new wave director, marker, resnais and varda are better than godard

hail mary is kino

>best new wave director
>names left bank directors

I do love resnais and varda and marker. All of them tend to be more serious, but that's what makes godard interesting is that he's far more loose and ironic than the left bank.

Even with la chinoise, which I found pretty meandering compared to weekend or 2 or 3 things I know about her, there's always the sense that he's mocking his subject matter as much as he finds it interesting

>irony
'Sup, reddit.

Was I the only one to find the last metro by Truffaut extremely safe, conventional, and while well done boring compared to his earlier works? I even enjoyed two English women more then it. When you have experimental directors make such normal films it's almost disappointing.

>experimental
What did Truffaut even do new? 400 Blows is literally a remake of Childhood of Maxim Gorky

how experimental is truffaut really?
other than shoot the piano player and some of the stylistic flourishes of jules et jim. He's as mainstream as you can get

>jules et jim
Nice remake of Design for Living. Jules et Jim is shit just like everything by Truffaut

He carried the new wave and French aesthetic in his movies quite well and with a lot of style, which he really gave up in his newer movies.

I guess I worded it poorly but it disappointed me.

His early movies felt fresh like a lot of the new wave or neorealist of their time, for me I love going into those movies not knowing what to expect.

>Jump cuts were literally in cinema since the beginning with Melies. I didn't even think that should have had to be said, but you clearly ousted yourself as a pleb, And no, none of the editing in Godard's films is new. Griffith, Gance, and Eisenstein already did it all.

Griffith employed traditional editing, not jump cuts. I'm not going to argue that Griffith wasn't more revolutionary then Goddard but his editing is that of traditional films. What Griffiths editing does is heighten emotional response and build scenes to larger climaxes.The same is true for Eisenstein, his montage was entirely about getting the largest emotional response possible from a film. Take the Odessa Steps sequence, people running down steps that your never given a full view so you dont know large they are and how long people have til they escape, its also unrealistic as people running down a flight of stairs is stretched to over 5 minutes. Goddard's jump cuts serve an entirely different purpose, they simply skip over traditional events that would be displayed in a traditional film. You can argue about why this is done (whether to give the film a certain rhythm or to reflect the characters amoral attitudes) but these jump cuts serve an entirely different purpose then those of Griffith/Eisenstein

>Godard literally considered him one of the best French directors. Pass Film History 101, babby.

Even in that excerpt you posted he refers to Pagnol as "predominantly writers." Goddard and the other New Wave directors appreciated auteurism above all else whether a director is good or bad. Goddard thinks very highly of Jerry Lewis simply because Jerry Lewis could make the films he wanted and they were infused with his style (whether the films are good or bad).

Zero de Conduite already came out though. What did he do new

>neorealist of their time
None of Truffaut's films are neorealist since they don't have a political context

jump cuts stop being a major element of godard's style after breathless though. Not saying his editing is standard, but godard = jump cuts is really misleading

pseudo intellectuals love him!

I liked chinoise, but i don't get why shit like masculin feminin get's so much praise. That film is so pretentious. Same thing with other godard films

>capeshitter calling anyone else reddit

>everyone's just pretending to like them!

What's this guy's appeal? Why is he in every french film?

I like how you purposely ignored Melies and Abel Gance. Also, you've never seen any of Griffith's films if you think he employed "traditional editing". He used jump cuts to elicit psychological state just like the scenes of Jean Seberg looking out the car in Breathless in A Romance of Happy Valley from 1919. You also purposely ignore Godard noting Pagnol as being an equally gifted visual director as writer even though you shitted on him for being "uncinematic". Pic-related is from one of Pagnol's films from 1936

I-i like Alphaville.......

And no auteurism is not solely about visual style, they do not only like Jerry Lewis for consistency. They like him for essentially doing Godard's schtick before him (i.e. postmodernism)

of course you're going to find them pretentious. It was godard's exact ambition to make films as if the techniques of filmmaking were just being rediscovered. His stuff is purposefully and self consciously film-as-art so compared to most every other movie (truffaut's included) his films are going to be frustrating because they require a different approach.

Notice that this is the only thread with any substantial discussion about film on Sup Forums

>His stuff is purposefully and self consciously film-as-art so compared to most every other movie
>his films are frustrating
babby detected. watch actual French avant-garde silent films

Japanese new wave>french new wave

The American independent in the early 60's already did absurdism

godard was once a maoist who championed the murderous ideology of mao zedong and the khmer rouge. we condemn griffith and riefenstahl of their political sins, but griffith serioiusly tried to prove he was not a hater after 'birth of a nation'. and riefenstahl insisted she loathed nazism but had simply done as told. maybe they were full of shit but at least they tried to publicly distance themselves from extreme politics.

not godard who espoused the most extreme, murderous, and destructive form of leftism. film scholars, so outraged about long dead griffith and long irrelevant riefenstahl, never demanded of godard to face up to his past sins. unlike kurosawa and bergman who candidly confessed their cowardice in face or approval of, respectively, japanese militarism and nazism, godard has never ever apologized in general, or in specific to the countless victims of the tyrants he supported with all his heart.

godard celebrated and championed mao's total destruction of culture and intellectual life and the khmer rouge that transformed camodia overnight into a genocidal stone age marxist state. fuck that piece of shit.

So? The Japanese did it better.

It's the hot new meme: If it's not original, it's not good. Particularly enfuriating to me, since it shows no interests in art or its history beyond a tech race.

yeah me too, this thread has been a bad display of that mindset

>The Japanese did it better.
You haven't even seen any absurdist American independent films, criterionbabby

Czech New Wave > every other New Wave

t. tsar

t. pleb offended that the 60's flicks he picked based on aesthetics from the criterion collection are unoriginal shit

1930s Czech films>1960's Czech films

back to your containment thread /lbg/ fags

>it's a megaautist shits up a thread episode

Boyhood is shit faggot. Movies shot over multiple years is nothing fucking new

This, fuck off. Imagine being retarded enough to use a social media site for film.

>it's a I have nothing to say because someone's more intelligent than me and can't defend my objectively shit taste episode

every film that you like is gonna end up on criterion collection, better change your taste you pseud

>shits up a thread
>yet no one has been able to counter-argue him
gotta give the guy credit

>His stuff is purposefully and self consciously film-as-art so compared to most every other movie
Hm, like debord's and isou's films? Sure thing, m8

I love japanese new wave. Nanami inferno of first love, great stuff...

pre-code era>czech new wave

Your only argument is "who did it first" not "who did it better"
But go ahead and say the 10s-30s directors did it better, when it is objectively wrong in most cases...

>every film that you like is gonna end up on criterion collection
Griffith is banned from Criterion

im not megaautist tho, i think my least watched decade is the 30s, actually

I definitely wouldn't defend Exodus, lol. Keep clinging to your meem

>it's a "let's pretend megaautist doesn't talk about and to himself all the time" episode
ok, change "Your" and make it a "His", same point

They're certainly better. You haven't seen any of the films that came first and can't handle your lack of knowledge being exposed.

LMAO at all the pseud tryhards itt

>stop not liking what I like you must like capeshit
so? capeshit is fun, you can watch it anytime on any occasion and it stays fun. it's not a 5 hour epic tryhard circlejerk.

tldr: fuck off pseuds you aren't impressing anyone

>i think my least watched decade is the 30s
Found the infant that can't associate with pre-postmodern society

No shit, why?

I have seen some, I appreciate them, but the result is not better, visually or whatever.

>so? capeshit is fun, you can watch it anytime on any occasion and it stays fun. it's not a 5 hour epic tryhard circlejerk.
Cool. Go talk about it on /r/movies

>result is not better
>visually
Found the babby that can't into silent films

Why don't you watch his fucking movies and find out for yourself?