Do you think that actors taking extreme measures to commit to a character is a good thing, or a bad thing...

Do you think that actors taking extreme measures to commit to a character is a good thing, or a bad thing? Examples such as: Christian Bale drastically changing his muscle mass and weight in the span of a few years for various roles. Or this one, where Jonah Hill seems to keep gaining back an immense amount of weight for all the films he's in after he's gotten himself in shape.

It adds authenticity to the film, and improves the viewing experience for the audience but at the cost of the actor's health. Is it worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7rOBJL5NbXo
youtube.com/watch?v=a5d9BrLN5K4
youtube.com/watch?v=u-NeGDOIVco
youtube.com/watch?v=Tfnha9UBiHo
youtube.com/watch?v=WclUWoMx1a4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Jonah Hill now has a better body than 95% of Sup Forums.

I think it's a talking piece for fans and good publicity for the actors but as far as adding to the 'authenticity' of a film goes it is not nearly as important as you'd think.

this guy's weight fluctuates like a fucking yo-yo, bet he won't make it to 45.

typical Sup Forums poster. Hates to see a young, handsome man emerge from his bloated cocoon and become a beautiful butterfly-guy all because he is too lazy to exercise and so spends his day wishing weight gain upon former fatty studmuffins.

Did you even fucking read the post you meme-spouting simpleton?

i hope it gets to the point where actors are dying on camera for real, it would be epic.

Not really. I think he originally lost weight for 21 Jump Street. He was heavier looking in 22 Jump Street but not too bad. He only gained a lot of weight back for War Dogs which seems silly considering the real guy wasn't fat.

get a load of this newfag. There have been a ton of on camera deaths already, pleb.

Shut up you fat dick head

>epic
le epic 4 the win!

unintentionally, and I don't think it ever makes it in the movie.

No, I want actors willingly dying for the art.

shut the fu*k up

I'll stick my fat dick head into your mum you daft illiterate fuck

>No, I want actors willingly dying for the art

Only a pathetic simpleton would agree to that.

Call Brendan Fraser

>Do you think that actors taking extreme measures to commit to a character is a good thing, or a bad thing?

More towards bad, especially when it becomes the movie's main selling point ("Wow, look how skinny Bale got for the Machinist!") I just don't really see the point. Stage actors the world over can bring characters to life, regardless of not being the right age, race, religion, culture, etc.

It tends to come off more as a gimmick, even when it has nothing to do with physicality (Jared Leto's "method acting" in Suicide Squad for example.) They should get the broad strokes right, like if a character is a basketballer he should probably be tall, but for the most part it's not necessary.

You would be too nervous you fucking square

He looked like this not too long ago mate and he was skinnier before. that can't be healthy

Those wrists are perfect for onion ring bracelets. Musclemen will never experience this pleasure

Don't forget Wolf of Wall Street, pretty fat in that even though it released a few months before 22 Jump Street.

Yeah but wasn't that while he was shooting War Dogs? At least he's lost it since then.

You said onion rings?

>I have never seen Ben Hur
And that is just one example

>digits
he was pretty big for hail caesar, but i don't think he was war dogs big.

)))Snopes((( is telling me that's false.

That's the point. Gaining so much weight and then losing it can't be healthy even if he just gets liposuction. When Bale did it at least he gained muscle mass, this tubby shit just gains fat.

I mean, his heart will eventually give up.

It's not healthy. Just look at his arms, they're tiny. He's lost all muscle mass through starving himself, where proper fat asses have some strength.

We are all gonna die, one way or another.

the only person i'd be concerned about at this point would be arnold swollenpecker. if he lives to be 80 then it just goes to show that you can roid out for years and still keep your heart pumping decades after.

He'll be 34 this year so while he's not super young, I think his body will recover provided he sticks to his current diet and exercise regimen.

that's not saying a lot

The older I get, the more sense method acting makes. Actors fool themselves into thinking something is real, and method acting is just the extreme version of that. You can do it in your own life and pretend to be a fucking pirate, and eventually by pretending to be a pirate, you have experiences that you could bring to a character to make it more believable.

It makes watching the movie more interesting too, because it blurs the lines between reality and on screen, if Sherlock Holmes is wandering around off set looking for coffee and a bagel.

Method acting can be useful but the ones that go overboard with it(Leto) seem like they'd be insufferable to actually work with. I've worked film crew before and it's long ass days of hard work so I'd rather not deal with some retard that refuses to break character for no real reason.

Dude already has a heart condition and is still going strong, so who knows. I also think the 70's juice (or dose amount) wasn't quite the same as the shit we see nowadays.

is fluctuating weight method acting though? i mean does an actor get to understand a character better by gaining/losing 50 pounds?

people have stated to hate daniel day-lewis with a passion on set due to his methods. dude's god tier though, and i wish he'd reconsider his hiatus.

It's essentially a way for an actor to show that he's really, really serious about the role and willing to suffer for his "craft". It's hilarious how accurate Tropic Thunder ended up being.

>mfw jonah fuckin hill has better bicep insertions than i do

not gonna make it brehs

Arnold had the best roids money can buy, fool. He will live to be 90 i bet.

Worry about those other juice monkeys that roid indiscriminately.

user, I don't know how to tell you this...

He's doing another movie with PTA.

i think that dude on the right should worry about the synthol he injects more than the bullshark testosterone.

>mfw i just fucking saw this
i had no idea. faith in this year's movie lineup restored.

Rain Man best method actor

>Playing a severely paralysed character on screen, off screen Day-Lewis had to be moved around the set in his wheelchair, and crew members would curse at having to lift him over camera and lighting wires, all so that he might gain insight into all aspects of Brown's life, including the embarrassments. Crew members were also required to spoon-feed him.

Seriously fuck that guy.

Why did his son become a cringe rapper?
youtube.com/watch?v=7rOBJL5NbXo

Well, given that most regular people sacrifice their health in some way for their job, I'd say I'm fine with it since they make much more.

>You can do it in your own life and pretend to be a fucking pirate, and eventually by pretending to be a pirate,
I do this all the time. life is a joke

>I'M GABE DAY LEWIS AND I'M ABOUT TO GABE DAY LOSE-IT
absolute madman

>years in between films
>somehow don't spend this time raising your son
wtf DDL

That's what happens when your father is an artsy fag that goes to extreme lengths to play pretend.

yeah i get that, but does matthew mcconaughey understand a redneck with aids better if he loses 40 pounds? weight gain/loss isn't the same as going to a war film's "boot camp" or starving yourself and not sleeping to make yourself feel like a heroin addict (pic related).

>GABE DAY LOSE IT

Didn't he already try to be skinny once by gave up because no one would hire him when he wasn't a funny fat guy any more?

yeah something must have happened

>Day-Lewis returned to the stage in 1989 to work with Richard Eyre, in Hamlet at the National Theatre, London, but collapsed during the scene where the ghost of Hamlet's father appears before him. He began sobbing uncontrollably and refused to go back on stage; he was replaced by Jeremy Northam who finished the performance word-and-action-perfect and received a standing ovation. Ian Charleson then formally replaced Day-Lewis for the rest of the run, except that Charleson's ill-health forced Northam to stand in again many times. Although the incident was officially attributed to exhaustion, Day-Lewis later claimed to have seen the ghost of his own father. He has not appeared on stage since.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Didn't he grow up without friends and isn't he rumored to have aspergers?

holy shit

did you honestly think the man is actually sane?

youtube.com/watch?v=a5d9BrLN5K4

>Didn't he grow up without friends and isn't he rumored to have aspergers?
idk about that one but it does seem like the best actors have some sort of mental issue combined with a non normie upbringing.

what the actual fuck

he needs to seek help, or he's going to end up killing himself some day

>Paul Dano, who starred opposite Day-Lewis in the turn-of-the-century drama, said: "They start flying and I realise he's getting into it. Then a ball bounces up and hits me in the leg, and I'm thinking: 'OK, those are heavy; this is getting serious - I'd better duck.'"
CLASSIC

His dad lives in Ireland, his mom lives in France, and he grew up in America. his parents hate and ignore him poor guy

His mom is the chick from The Possession.

I know. She lives in France.
Are there any photos of them together?

I wonder how horrible all his loose skin is, probably looks like a deflated elephant

Um, no. He most certainly does NOT have a better body than I do.

kek, /fa/ really is the worst of the slow boards.

>someone wrote this

Lel

Tom Hanks can relate
youtube.com/watch?v=u-NeGDOIVco
youtube.com/watch?v=Tfnha9UBiHo
youtube.com/watch?v=WclUWoMx1a4

Is this ironic or honest cringe?

Tom thanks his lucky stars every day that he has Colin.

Thought it was a woman in the thumb

Turns out it was a bitch

>mfw your pants aren't tight enough

Tv Actor Colin Hanks? Yeah that's comforting.

Damn, he's got some really skinny legs.

He got his tits surgically fixed lmao

Colin seems like a nice, normal dude. Unlike Chet, who is the real life version of B-Rad from Malibu's Most Wanted lol.

He's also a 6'2 irish man, can't ask much of the lad.

How can DDL be so effay while dressing like shit?

Height, Face, Frame. He's like 6'3".

>tfw after 2 years of working out/running/etc. this is now my body type

I'm not happy about this. My shoulders are a bit more defined/wider though, so at least there's that. Also I don't have the hanging losse skin nips like Jonah, since my skin genetics are top notch

Were you fat? If so, you've already improved a lot! Keep going!

he is manlet

>the best roids money can buy
There were only a few different roids in his time, which are still overwhelmingly used today due to their effectiveness. If you don't take them by the boatload (like your pic), and cycle on and off regularly, they really aren't too bad for you

one of my friends in the army had deflated man titties. weirdest part of it was that his nipples would bleed from the chafing every time we had a distance run.

No woman of quality goes for a guy who looks like this much of a faggot. quality women like daddy-archetypes, not sawed off little Elliot roger gays who look like they wear cologne and comb their pubic hair

I was a fucking hamlad. Dad got S-IV pancreatic cancer 2 years ago after a lifetime of treating himself like shit, so it lit a fire under my ass.

Almost makes me feel bad whenever I see since I'm sure he knows full well it was his shit way of living and subsequent health issues that inspired me to not be a chunkass like him.

>but does matthew mcconaughey understand a redneck with aids better if he loses 40 pounds?

No, but it makes the character seem more believable to the audience, since that's what an aids infected fag would've looked like in that situation. We wouldn't be nearly as immersed if he looked strong and healthy

Arnold had a squad of doctors and phenomenal once in a generation genetics. Nigga is practically perfect physically.

Plenty of dudes I worked out with went on roids, now we're 30 and easily half sees a psychiatrist on a regular basis

It's a neutral thing. If a person is not the absolute master of their own body, than what are they the master of? Nothing apparently.

If Christian Bale wants to starve himself for a role I can say he's crazy and his doctor can say he's crazy but that's 100% his right and fuck anyone who says he CAN'T.

I doubt he would tell others they should do so either, it was undoubtedly a taxing thing. I think it made him just a little unhinged.

I genuinely think Bale is a bad actor despite all the appearance changes. He's a mess of corny ticks and bad accents, and his one role to completely embrace that fakeness is his best

*6'1

You can't possibly watch The Machinist and say "WHOA THIS GUYS IS A SHITTY ACTOR".

Maybe just a mediocre actor

Why not? Outside of the weight loss he doesn't do anything memorable with the character

>tfw first think I thought were that his legs were huge

who else /chickenlegs/ here

It's time to stop Jonah

do you not agree with his acting style?

if a woman has a piece of shit father, she will go for piece of shit men.

There are limits. Film actor Laird Cregar underwent a gastric bypass operation in the hopes that quickly losing weight would nab him some romantic lead parts. He died a few days later from a heart attack.

>be raging nerd with social anxiety disorder
>dad forces me to work for his security company
>be first night as bouncer, dad leaves
>b-b-but dad i c-c-ant do it
>tells me to sack up and fake it till i make it
>realize the power of pretending
>suddenly i am bouncer, am stronk and nobody do me a harm
>10 years later i'm still convincing myself every time i go to work
>life is splintering, sometimes i wake up thinking i am still bouncer and yell at gf
>i am become aggressive fuckhead but now social anxiety is coming back full force
>splitting in middle
>soon ill be punching myself in the face like that mma boxer Sup Forums pissed off

i think i'd make a good method actor.