First DC Rebirth Crossover, Night of The Monster Men Announced

Steve Orlando leading the new Batman family crossover, Night of The Monster Man, it'll cross over Batman,Nightwing & Detective Comics

more: gamespot.com/articles/batman-and-allies-to-fight-giant-kaiju-creatures/1100-6440994/

Other urls found in this thread:

comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-steve-orlando-talks-batman-and-night-of-/1100-155691/
comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-riley-rossmo-talks-batman-and-night-of-t/1100-155692/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What titles will this crossover into? Will there be a self contained intro book and ending?

>Orlando: The cool thing about Monster Men is we'll be pushing all the stories forward. All the threads you're reading in Nightwing, Detective Comics, and Batman—everything Batman is dealing with with Gotham and Gotham Girl (two new heroes) will play directly into Monster Men. You'll see the sort of rift or tension between the different ways Batman and Nightwing do things is central to Monster Men and that comes out in Nightwing. Also, the idea that Batman has trusted Batwoman, and he knows there's something she can do better than he can in the pages of Detective. There's the idea that when something is too big for Bruce Wayne, the Bat-Family is now more than just one guy. That's the idea that kicks off in Detective. To move forward, we need to train the next generation and find a way to do what we do, better.

Fuck crossover. It ruining comic

The hell is a kaiju?

>more Batfam wank
Yawn. Let me know when they actually start paying attention to other characters that aren't Batman.

Japanese version of Godzilla.

>There's the idea that when something is too big for Bruce Wayne, the Bat-Family is now more than just one guy
I thought the idea that when something was too big for Batman was for Gotham and Gotham Girl.

>In the case of the Monster Men, I mean literally bigger. How does Batman, a man who has a plan for everything, deal with catastrophic Toho-style attacks on Gotham City? Along with that, I was especially excited to work with the Monster Men from a nerd standpoint because they showed up in the original Batman #1. They were in one of the three stories, and I think they're a historic group of characters. They haven't really appeared too much since then. There was a great mini-series by Matt Wagner, but in general, they haven't shown up that much for characters that have been with Batman for over six decades.

>>How would you describe the sorts of monsters we'll be seeing?

>Riley Rossmo: They're kind of kaiju, I guess. They're like Pacific Rim-scale monsters, for the most part.

>>How big are you talking?

>Rossmo: That's a good question. There's a bunch of different ones. The smallest one is sort of like the queen from Aliens. There's one kind of like the Slurm Queen in Futurama. The biggest ones are like Godzilla-scale.

>>How many different types are you designing?

>Rossmo: There's five, but then some of the cast members get infected. There'll be some monster-versions of some of the Bat-Family.

Batman 7 Cover

>>What titles will this crossover into? Will there be a self contained intro book and ending?

>Orlando: The cool thing about Monster Men is we'll be pushing all the stories forward. All the threads you're reading in Nightwing, Detective Comics, and Batman—everything Batman is dealing with with Gotham and Gotham Girl (two new heroes) will play directly into Monster Men. You'll see the sort of rift or tension between the different ways Batman and Nightwing do things is central to Monster Men and that comes out in Nightwing. Also, the idea that Batman has trusted Batwoman, and he knows there's something she can do better than he can in the pages of Detective. There's the idea that when something is too big for Bruce Wayne, the Bat-Family is now more than just one guy. That's the idea that kicks off in Detective. To move forward, we need to train the next generation and find a way to do what we do, better.

>One of the things I've always found interesting about Batman is the intense bravery and futility in the character. That's not to say that Batman is futile. He's only human. Every time Batman saves someone from a mugging in Gotham City, odds are someone is getting mugged somewhere else. That's the sad and truth about Batman, but it also makes him incredibly inspiring. He never stops. That's also the reason Batman is looking for new ways to be in more places at once. When you have a threat of this scale, when you have the Monster Men coming to Gotham City, there's no better time to put that on display to see if it works or doesn't work.

>>Will there be any characters from outside the related titles?

Glad to see Rossmo getting mroe work at DC, glad to hear they're using Strange as a big villain again. But not very happy about corssovers(though they can be done well(Phantom Stranger tie in to Trinity War comes to mind, that was a great issue) and I'm not happy to see this
>You'll see the sort of rift or tension between the different ways Batman and Nightwing do things

>Orlando: Well, I can say there will be a lot of Bat-Family characters in it. Working with Riley, the minute I sort of pitched him what these monsters were going to look like…when you work with Riley, it's not necessarily telling him what they'll look like, it's more like an email exchange of grotesquery we found in the animal kingdom. We talked about how we would put these into the designs. I knew immediately we were going to have to get him to draw as much cool stuff as possible.

>We want to make [the book] as welcoming as we can for everyone following those titles. Everyone will see this is basically like a summer crossover in six issues. We'll have the characters from all the books, not just the lead characters. You'll see the GCPD involved, and you'll also have five new monsters that are truly brand new. They have fresh and exciting new designs that really are unlike anything you've seen Batman go up against before. I will say it is Night of the Monster Men. This story, much like many disaster stories, takes place over one night. We will be focusing on the cast of those main books and anyone else that could conceivably get there in time to help before the city is rubble.

>>Is this the first time Gotham has had to deal with something on this scale?

>Rossmo: Yeah, I believe so. I think its the first time Batman has fought Godzilla—something like Godzilla.

>>For the people in Gotham, it's going to be time to go on vacation or move away?

>Rossmo: Yeah, it takes place when a hurricane comes through Gotham. It coincides with the rise of the Monster Men. That's the night they reveal themselves.

>>You mentioned the Monster Men haven't really been used a lot. If we're going to have these giant monsters, how would you say this compares to past Batman crossovers?

Nightwing 5 Cover

>implying Gotham and Gotham Girl will survive the first arc

>Orlando: There's been a lot of Batman crossovers. To me, Night of the Monster Men, especially when it's coming out, it's big and grandiose, but it's fun. Going back to 1989, it's like, "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" It's 2016. We have to give Batman even more wonderful toys. I think we haven't seen a story like this in a while in Gotham City or since Rebirth. We also haven't mashed up the genre of Batman with these Godzilla or Toho styles of element. It's like when you had Ultraman or Mecha Godzilla. There's a sense of fun to it. It's giant monsters, and it's lovably insane. At the same time, you have a guy with a plan for everything. I'm really excited about it because I think crossovers aren't foreign to the Batman Universe, but these massive and out of this world things are. It'll be cool to see Batman here. What makes Batman Batman remains the same. It almost doesn't matter if he's fighting a mugger or going up against a 30-story behemoth. There's definitely real danger in the book. There's real danger in the DC Universe, but it's all about meeting it with a sense of no-holds-barred.

>>What kind of gadgets or tools are you designing for Batman and his allies to fight them off?

>Rossmo: There's a rocket pack that's pretty awesome. There's a sort of jet ski rocket cycle. I guess there's a lot of rocket stuff in it. There's like air-motorcylces, almost like speeder bikes (in Return of the Jedi). I don't want to give too much away because it's cool, but Batman has an exo-suit like Hulkbuster Iron Man so he can go hand-to-hand with one of the giant monsters.

>>How's it feel taking on this first Batman Rebirth crossover?

Detective 941 cover

best part about bi-monthly book crossovers? They only last a month

>Orlando: I'm nervous. There's a lot on my mind, but honestly, it's an honor to be doing it. I'm a huge comics history nerd. The offer to do this was something I just couldn't ignore. We're not just relaunching Batman with a new number one. We're also getting to go back to the Monster Men. Like I said, it's something that deserves to be a pillar with how early they showed up in Batman's history. That couldn't get any better for me.

>>Riley, what was your first thought in getting the chance to draw Batman fighting kaiju?

>Rossmo: I'm a fan of the original Monster Men, and I liked the Matt Wagner story so the fanboy part of me was squealing. Squealing with delight. Then I started thinking about the mechanics of how you draw things and show scale with tiny little people fighting giant monsters. Then things like the Batman rocket pack becomes a really cool device so you can show the silhouette of this batarang-thing fighting a giant monster. I thought about the different ways to incorporate the scale. That's the technically interesting part—keeping the immediacy of battles, but you'd only be able to show little bits and pieces of monsters if you want close up of the figures.

>>Anything else you want to add?

>Orlando: I pitched Riley some of the craziest things I ever put into a book. I can't underscore how amazing he's been with all the designs he's doing for this. Whether it's the Monster Men themselves, Batman's technology, sometimes I'd be like, "Oh man, this idea is too weird." He'd make it cooler than you could ever imagine. I just can't wait for people to see what he's doing along with what Roge and Andy are doing on the book. There is Batman action and Batman armors you never thought of before. I can't wait for everybody to see it on the page. It's going to be really, really fun.

>Rossmo: There's this Clayface/Batman team-up section that's going to be fantastic.

Those designs look cool as fuck.

That actually sounds pretty neat

If King's writing Batman, Seeley's writing Nightwing, and Tynion's writing Detective, why is the Supergirl writer involved?

>>>Night of the Monster Men takes place in September and October. The story begins in Batman #7 (9/21), followed by Nightwing #5 (9/21), and Detective Comics #941 (9/28).

Orlando solo interview: comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-steve-orlando-talks-batman-and-night-of-/1100-155691/

then why is this pic labelled "batman 7 cover"

Rossmo solo interview: comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/exclusive-riley-rossmo-talks-batman-and-night-of-t/1100-155692/

But the same paragraph specifically mentions their involvement. Holy shit! You didn't even read the post did you? Fuck you just saw the single line of greentext I quoted and began spewing your opinion with no knowledge of anything else at all. Holy fuck what an idiot.

Because they are all friends

if nothing else, Yanick Paqutte's work is always a welcomed pleasure

Sorry for mislabeling the OP pic.

>Japanese version of Godzilla.
wut?

>Orlando
Isn't he too busy with Supergirl and JSA?

WAITAMINUTE
>Kaijus
>in Gotham
>concept taken from E2
>Orlando rumored to be on JSA and has no ties with the Bat-books currently

This is the Allan Scott reintroduction arc.

Will this chap be in the book too?

God dann it. I really didn't want to deal with this cross over shit, especially so early in a new run of a book

Continuing the greentext from :
October's crossover issues are Nightwing #6, Batman #8, and Detective Comics #942. After that Mikel Janin may be drawing Batman, Marcus To on Nightwing, and Eddy Barrows back on Tec.

>The story begins in Batman #7 (9/21), followed by Nightwing #5 (9/21), and Detective Comics #941 (9/28).
Holy shit, this literally finishes in 2 weeks. Fucking nice

See

Supergirl is not twice monthly, so he probably has plenty of time. If he gets JSA, I imagine it won't come out earlier than December/January.

I think the same, plebs usually forget that gotham is filled with magic and monsters

Not to mention, I think Seeley,King and Tynion may be co-writing still

So what's the deal? Is Orlando co writing these 3 titles for 1 month with guest artists like Rossmo? Or is there a book end type deal like Robin War had and tie in issues in between?

it seems orlando's just showrunning this while others write individual issues.
i like that he says he's a huge comics history nerd and that this will be him playing with bat-history for a bit.

on another note, I feel like in the past five years we've seen this revival trend of weirdly obscure batman villains, like from tiger shark to dr. double-x to deacon blackfire and so on

I honestly can't tell. Someone ask on twitter how the issues are gonna be written.

Gotham is Alan Scott.

> dr. double-x
fuck, for real?

Japanese word for giant monsters, so like Godzilla or Mothers ect

it was briefly in batman eternal. they did an edged-up horror revival kind of thing of him

Steve Orlando's own tweet says that the crossover will also involve Roge Antonio (possibly on Nightwing) and Andy McDonald (probably on Tec). This possibly means Rossmo will draw the Batman parts.

also scott snyder did crazy quilt in the batman endgame arc, and dr. death in zero year

the snyder era of bat comics and all writers associated with him has in part been about reviving obscure villains

worth a read or not?

>TFW the first comic i ever owned was an issue with dr. double x

Gotham is alan scott mark my words

And yet, none of them still stick around.

eternal was alright

>Gotham is Trump.

Meh. It's uneven as fuck but there's good parts and some really good artists.

Yeah. Batman Eternal was fun to me.

sounds worth a look, cheers

not really
the eternal books kind of fizzle out halfway through because they had a selection of mediocre writers on em
like batman eternal starts off with a cool premise and runs with it for a bit and then it gets retarded with a bunch of sub-plots. It brought back spoiler though

batman and robin eternal, its sequel, is shit front to back except for reviving azrael. they said it was a celebration of robin's 75th when its literally "HARPER ROW IS PERFECT THE COMIC"
only good thing it did was bring back cass cain

that last part is a little contradictory. I think its cool they brought back azrael but the execution of it was pretty bad. the only revival it got right was cass imo*

You'd say it's 10/10 comic if comic shilled Cass instead of Harper.

no i'm not that much of a characterfag. the stuff with harper felt genuinely forced especially towards the end when it was like "harper and duke are the perfect choices to be robin, my first picks" like not only is that a dumb shift in batman's early years, it kind of totally invalidates dick's place as robin, as batman's adopted son, who set the example to follow and evolved into something more than robin, more than batman.

Cass was his daughter, there's. A difference between bruce kids and people like batwoman, harper or even babs.

No thanks, love the creators but there is no lead up to this story at all, it just came out of nowhere. I find it hard to believe that King, Seeley and Tynion have been leading their books in to an eventual event involving Kaiju Men. I'm getting worried that the bi-weekly schedule has finally caught up, easy pass.

>Janin on Batman

I know he doesn't do horrible tracer work, but his tracer artwork still bothers me from time to time.

They said for a while they'll have crossovers so that writers can keep up the bi monthly schedule

Not even 10 issues into Rebirth and we already have crossovers interrupting stories.

Were you expecting anything else?

Honestly, it's really weird how Sup Forums thought Rebirth was anything else but a way to get more sales. Renumbering DC and AC to get the sweet #1000 money, 95% of the books being A-listers, crossovers/events and books being pretty much made by commitee with Johns overseeing everything. It's pretty clear writers don't have much freedom to do what they want. Can't even blame them, sales were in the shitter and WB probably demanded they do something quickly to bring more sales.

If more people bought DCYou...

>>twice-monthly schedule
ftfy

It probably won't interrupt stories. King said months ago that the double shipping would meant that crossovers only take up one issue a month while stories continue in the other one.

>Gotham is Alan Scott.

I've been saying this for like a week or two now. It fits well enough.

I have never before written or said these words which I am now to post.
"Spot the casual"
Now, I know you're going to say Sup Forums, but I had to point it out.

DC will let you know when their top selling titles aren't 4 Batman titles, 4 Harley Quinn titles, 1 Justice League title and 1 Superman title

>and 1 Superman title

Superbooks don't sell that significantly. Basically the same as Flash and GL.

Yeah, lots of ifs.

I supported those books and told other people about them, but I can't do more than that. Unfortunately that's how comic book fans are. I'm glad people are enjoying Rebirth, but nostalgia pandering and bland superhero stories are not for me. I got used to my on and off relationship with the Big Two, I'll just wait for the Young Animal books to come out.

Is there any correlation?

Godzilla and related characters. It's retarded to not just call it "giant monsters", but whatever.

King is bringing back Kite-Man too

Well this just killed a ton of the goodwill Rebirth had built up.

>Batman vs. Godzilla
>Intended Release: 1966
>Conceived by: Shinichi Sekizawa

>The original idea for this, seemingly, mismatched crossover comes from the hand of series writer Shinichi Sekizawa, who submitted a manuscript of the proposal on November of 1965. Sekizawa's concept featured several characters from the Batman universe, including Robin and Commissioner Gordon. To actually battle the King of the Monsters, Batman and his sidekicks would have utilized several vehicles to engage in combat, including the Batmobile, the Batcopter and the Batcycle. Interesting to note, the concept also featured the introduction of a weather control apparatus, an idea which would later be worked into the Son of Godzilla (1967) script. It also was going to have another device to control Godzilla himself, which would possibly indicate another antagonist being behind pitting the two characters against each other.

>In terms of Sekizawa's motivation, his reasoning seems clear in these drafts: to try and repeat the mammoth international success that the King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) crossover enjoyed. This is made apparant in allusions to the earlier 1962 film, as even this extremely early take at the concept included mention of Godzilla's battle with King Kong, which was noted as being included with stock footage of the two titans fighting.

>Not surprinsgly, though, the concept never got far enough for a full fledged script to have been created. There are many questions related to the proposal still unknown as well, such as if DC comics was ever actually approached with the idea or not. It's also not known to what degree the then recent Batman TV series, which debuted two months after Sekizawa proposed this idea, might have played, if any. It's also interesting to note that references to "Batgirl" are made in the concept, which would predate the Barbara Gordon version of the character that would later become synopsis with the name in 1966.

Of course there is. The Wagner comic is a modern update of the original Monster Men story and this will probably be similar

Seriously if double shipping means lame crossovers every three months I guess I don't have to worry about my bloated pull list, as I won't be spending a dollar on them unless the crossover feels earned.

Don't forget more trades coming out and less time in between them
Two trades will be complete by December for the June books

And Robin War and the Superbooks were the crossovers for the past year and sales were getting to be ass for almost everybody
Of course there's gonna be more crossovers

>crossovers every 3 months so the artists can keep up with a bi-monthly schedules
>two year underlying storyline that will culminate in an event
Rebirth was a mistake.

So it seems like they'll do this type of stuff to give the creative teams of Batman/Detective/Nightwing time to keep up with the schedule. Wouldn't be surprised if the Superman line will have something like this too.

>Dick's face

>Wouldn't be surprised if the Superman line will have something like this too.
It sounds like a perfect opportunity for Mark Millar next year.

Yeah it's actually kind of good because some months you can skip out on the crossover issues and only pay the 2.99 once for what you actually want.

I don't want whatever he's writing (if he picks the DC project) to be trapped in the setting of Jurgens and Tomasi. That makes it almost pointless really.

Took me a second to figure out what was going on with those cops.

Honestly the entire thing sounds neat as fuck, I still like Orlando so far, this seems right up his alley, but it's still a crossover

They most likely will when the Batman one is over.
Same with the GL books
They may put a month or so in between the two to have them rest

All right lets agree on future cross-overs
>Reign of the Supermen finale
>Titans, Teen Titans, JL and JSA cross-over

And they'll have decent stories and nobody will buy them.
Not your fault, of course. Readers are terrible.

>Hal and Friends, GLs
More space and lantern shit
>Titans, Teen Titans
probably to lead up to a YJ book lets get real
>Superbooks
Some massive thing that takes Superwoman, Kenan, Supergirl, and Superman and anybody else to beat
Maybe new 52 Superman is seen and explained

>Giant monster is wrecking everything
>Suddenly, BatGattai

TT and Titans are where it starts to hurt because I believe both of those are just monthlies.

I wanna fuck that kaiju

If there is Kaiju monsters them Batman is going to need its own BAT-GIANTROBOT!!!

Snyder gave him enough robots and mechas

That infected red horned monster looks like that new Gothan man, I mean, his clothes.

>Steve Orlando leading the new Batman family crossover
>it'll cross over Batman,Nightwing & Detective Comics
>Orlando
>Nightwing
I'm in.