The Hobbit

Why were they so bad?

>shitty cgi
>forced stronk womyn she-elf
>interracial romance

CGI. It became so good after LOTR that they could replace anything with CGI so they do and it always looks shit.

Stringing a short light hearted fantasy adventure into an overblown LOTR style cgi fest without any of the content to back it up.

I maintain that the first one is actually a really great movie and the only bad part is the Goblin Town chase sequence.

Also the third one had some really good parts like the acorn scene, Thorin's death and Gandalf saying goodbye to Bilbo.

Because of reasons

>youtube.com/watch?v=RAganBGL_44
The exact delivery of Gandalf's final line here has been in my head for 30 years and it almost made sitting through that horrible mess of a movie worth it

Almost

>30 years
fucking time-travelers and their bad taste in movies...

I'm an old timer user, I read the Hobbit when I was quite young.

In the book the writing of that line made it seem like more of a joke but in my head I'd always imagined it was more somber. The movie didn't get a lot right but it did get that right, in my opinion.

Too much OC and the idea of building a bridge between The Hobbit and LOTR.

Over-reliance on CGI sucked a lot of the charm out of it.

Nobody but WB execs wanted them to be a thing and PJ was pretty much blackmailed into directing them. Not that this justifies his shitty job as a director, but it at least explained why they were such low effort trash

Not enough diversity

Watch the documentary that explains exactly why
Someone post it, I don't have it, you knwo the one

Did anyone else think Mommy looked way hotter in these than in the original trilogy?

- CGI vs practical in the wrong places
- Schizophrenic tone
- Schizophrenic scope
- Inferior performances
- Lack of charisma from some of the actors, see Kate from Lost (still, she worked with what she had, I feel for her like for Christensen in the prequels)
- More about the same thing statd above: no actors with the prsence of Viggo or based Theoden, no feel of "epic"
- Wrong focus (Thorin vs Bilbo, fucking Legoland vs Thorin AND Bilbo).
- Dialogue of waaay inferior class
- Stupid characterisation, see stoner Radagast
- Slapstick Dwarfs
- Tensionless chases and scenes dragged on and on
- Fucking Alfrid is Jar-Jar tier, probably worse

People complain about the presence of the White Council or Radagast. I was excited about them and even fine with Legoland and She-elf, but the focus, pacing, tone, dialogues and plot were all over the place.
It is an adaptation, I am ok even with the dwarf-lf love if well played - but this was NOT well played. The dialogues were inferior to the average high school drama.

They werent. I liked the first two. 3rd was below average I give you that.

I bet Gandalf felt like a complete retard for letting the One Ring slip away like that.

this is the only good moment and whilte Tauriel is a certified qt, if she had only walked around barefoot in the woods, maybe get a little dirt on her soles, it would've been a Kino production

Jackson just went full George Lukas.
A competent team, with them on the front, created a masterpiece.
For years the media portrayed it as if they did it alone.
Now they wanted to prove to them and the world that it really was just them.
They were wrong, they needed all those other people all along.

>way too much cgi
>most cgi way too shitty
>too many pointless scenes which are clearly present only because the novel doesn't provide enough material for three movies
>inconsistent: doesn't know whether it wants to be a light hearted adventure trilogy or a serious story and, as a result, resembles neither
>the entire Necromancer subplot is inconsistent with the LotR movies: Gandalf & co know Sauron is back yet sit on their asses for 70 years
>cringy love triangle with tauriel
>Legolas going to look for Aragorn who is 10

Over-reliance on CGI

Excessive padding in order to make it fit into a trilogy format

Very weird tonal shifts from "goofy fantasy adventure aimed towards kids!" to "grotesquely violent battle scenes with an orc holding up the severed head of an important character"

You could edit this whole trilogy down into basically two films, before Smaug, and after Smaug. If you really tried, you could fit into 1.

I read Captain Underpants when I was young, doesn't mean I even remember a single fucking line from that.

Horribly rushed

There's a video somewhere of PJ himself explaining why they suck

C'mon mate, you're trolling, right.
He didn't know it was the One Ring. There are several rings of power scattered in Middle Earth.

> if she had only walked around barefoot in the woods, maybe get a little dirt on her soles, it would've been a Kino production
And that's why footfags are so unbearable.

It didn't slip away, he knew it was at Bagend nice and safe the whole time. Hobbits don't get robbed.
No-one suspects a Hobbit. Safest place for the ring, really.

the first two weren't bad though

The first wasn't terrible. Some huge missteps, but nothing that suggested the series couldn't reach the same heights as LOTR. But the second was so godawful that the third never really had much of a chance.

It's blatantly obvious that the entire trilogy was doomed to be shit once they decided to cut Basketman.

Because the source material isn't any good.

that is some low quality bait, bro

Calling someone a troll because they disagree with you is the lowest form of argument.

calling one of the most beloved and most read books in history bad source-material is a low quality bait to collect (You)s

What do you think about this one?

Mommy's feet need to be cleaned!

WHERE THERES A WHIP

here are a few things they should have done
1. don't make a fucking trilogy. it ended up being stretched and bloated, quite embarrassing. 2 movies tops.
2. use real costumes instead of cgi shit for the orcs. it looks like video games, and it doesn't look "more real", it just looks like a fake effects instead of a man in a suit. look at the lord of the rings for comparison.
3. drop tauriel. no woman warrior except Eowyn who pretended to be a man ever existed in the Tolkien world.
4. drop the Azog/Bolg story line. just have Azog show up as the general for the goblin army, like in the book.
5. keep legolas, but drop the spiderman-tier stunts.

>5. keep legolas, but drop the spiderman-tier stunts.
I would've loved it if you see him a few times among the Elves, but he never sticks out for the dwarves and Bilbo. It would've been a nice little nod to the audience and shows what he was doing 50 years before LoTR.

^

Also I love it. Bilbo is so fucking charming.

Pre-production was not nearly as complete as LOTR due to changing directors. PJ couldn't bring himself to film much of what Del Toro had prepared over a year and a half, because he felt like he couldn't film someone else's vision (which is fair). However, instead of getting that time back to prepare, the studio kept a lock on the schedule, and left Jackson under a year to re-invision what he wanted for The Hobbit.

LOTR had like 2-3 years of pre-production to prepare. The Hobbit ended up with 6 months for Jackson, and an extra month or two for Weta while PJ was in the hospital for a ruptured ulcer. By the time they got to Battle of Five Armies, they were winging it. Most of the battle was filmed in pickups!

Long story short, blame the studios. We could have waited another year to get better movies.

>turning a three hundred page children's book into a trilogy

I will watch the Hobbit trilogy when the original 48 FPS version is released on home video.

Has anyone seen the cartoon version? It was way better than this hot mess and smaug was way cooler in the cartoon than that cg disaster. Not to mention that the dwarves werent huge faggots like they ended up being in the movie. All but 6 die in the cartoon.

sorry I missed your post this was far superior to the movie which was intentionally drug out in the wrong direction. If they had used this as a basis for the movies it would have probably eclipsed LOTR.

Yep, nailed it. All other complaints aside, The Hobbit movies had none of the feeling of passion and camaraderie that the LotR trilogy had. With Lord of the Rings, you really got the sense that everyone involved loved being there and wanted to make something amazing. The Hobbit felt soulless.

>forced stronk womyn she-elf
That character and his romance with the dwarf was one of the few good things of the movie. One of the few things you can say it had soul and felt human. The rest is like watching a bad video game trailer.

I'm sorry that you have a poor memory user, but not everyone is an idiot like you.

absolutely. it's a perfect movie length too

>Captain Underpants
>first published in 1997

I am too old to still be here.

>it had soul and felt human
Except it didn't, it was tacked on and felt tacked on. No chemistry, no motivation, nothing. Just "We gotta have a love triangle subplot in this movie, like in the Lorde of the Rings, so women come see it".

The stretched out what should have been one movie into three. Basically this:

>so women come see it".
That's your problem, you think that romance, love and feelings in movies are for women.

Peter Jackson phoned it in. He actually issued an internal memo afterwards apologising to all the production staff about his lack of care and attention for the entire project which led to it ending up being such a clusterfuck (not a direct quote, I haven't seen the memo but I know someone reasonably high up in the post production staff).