Intel CPU gets rekt - this means practically all PC users

newscientist.com/article/computer-may-run-30-per-cent-slower-due-intel-chip-bug/

A massive security flaw may have been discovered with Intel processors, according to reports TODAY. The flaw makes passwords and other personal details an easier target for hackers, and is thought to affect ALL Intel processors from the LAST DECADE.

The good news is that there is a fix. But unfortunately the security patch will slow down processing power by as much as 30 per cent, hitting personal computers and cloud services around the world.

“This is the worst bug I’ve seen for a long time,” says Kevin Curran at Ulster University.

The problem centres around a fundamental part of an operating system called a kernel, The Register reported. The kernel is a program that controls most other programs, giving them access to memory whilst protecting sensitive information from your system. The flaw seems to mean that programs can essentially bypass the kernel and do these high-level manipulations themselves.

The result is that any old bit of software could get almost uncensored access to your computer. This could be anything from a JavaScript program running in a web browser to a virus that’s been accidentally downloaded.

“Additionally, if a program is running in the cloud it could get access to anything else running on that server,” says Curran. The vast majority of the world’s cloud computing happens on Intel chips, including data centres run by Google, Microsoft and Amazon.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/grsecurity/status/948170302286172160
jpost.com/Israel-News/Intel-CEO-We-think-of-ourselves-as-an-Israeli-company-as-much-as-a-US-company-484209
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Slow down
Fixing this problem means getting rid of the fast switching that can currently happen between a program and the kernel in favour of a process that’s slower, but more secure. The resulting slowdown seems to range from 5 and 30 per cent depending on the situation.

Though there have been many security bugs in the past, one that requires a fix that results in such a computational constraint is almost unheard of. “Never have I seen a patch that causes the CPU to be slowed down on such a scale,” says Curran.

At the moment, the main details of the flaw are being kept under wraps. But this sort of failure could be “devastating”, says Robert Watson at the University of Cambridge.

“Processors have long been sold based solely on performance considerations, not security,” says Watson. Improvements in processing power or battery life are immediately noticeable, but rarely will people pay for security improvements, let alone trade them for decreases elsewhere.

An Intel spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.

DELET

WHAT THE FUCK

i don't care. AMD makes shit cpus for poorfags, so i will keep buying intel in the future

Epyc. Simply Epyc.

I got a ryzen 1700
Pretty happy and I don't game

>implying I update my pirated Windows 7 that's been installed on my PC since 2009

That "30% slowdown" is when constantly context-switching into privileged mode. Not even a realistic figure

t. not even Intel shill

but this is too important to be only for Sup Forums which is rarely visited by those anonymouses who aren't so interested in technology

>But unfortunately the security patch will slow down processing power by as much as 30 per cent
El macabro...

why is the tech industry so JUST these last 8 years?
kys

same

Doesn't matter. Still unecessary off topic.
Sup Forums isn't be with flags. At least go on /bant/ instead.

I PLAY GAMES AND I GOT AN OLD INTEL FUCK THEM IT'S ALREADY SLOW ENOUGH

>tfw AMD

fuck off and die redditor germscum, you clearly don't even use this board.
Blowjob a shotgun maggot.

FUCK YOU AMDFAGS

core 2 Intel technology might not even be affected by this

but we dont know for sure yet

Kek, calm down sweetie.
And I do. That's why I hate the shitposting that has nothing to do with this board.
Sup Forums is more than your "native board" and everything has it's place.

a Sup Forums thread says it goes back to the fucking pentium ii
if that's true i'm ending myself

leave, it's obvious you don't actually use Sup Forums, so fuck off with your rule-autism. A board is more than it's topic. From now I'm just going to assume you're a b8ing newfaggot.

>a Sup Forums thread says

just get an AMD

no money for upgrade

join the inevitable class-action lawsuit against Intel and rake in those gibs

i don't know how to sue

can't wait for Intelfags to die

No point freaking out now 2bh, this flaw exists for a decade now. But the "fix" should be optional IMO.

This won't affect normal users much. Though I do hope that Intel gets fucked in the court.

>Implying it is not a bug commissionned by the NSA

30% is a lot

but it may be only 10% constatny and the 30% performance hit would be in rare cases

twitter.com/grsecurity/status/948170302286172160

>No older systems here to test, but just to get a sense of how much PCID helps the PTI performance hit on post-Westmere (in our experience with UDEREF and using PCID since 2013, it about halved it): 63% hit on the same Skylake i7-6700 w/ the du -s benchmark and nopcid/noinvpcid

beautiful

>It's a fellow Sup Forumsentoomen posts on Sup Forums too

Nice

>Literally just spent a hundred and fifty bucks on a GTX 1050

WEW
>the "fix" should be optional
CONFIRMED MOSSAD BACKDOOR
it's an operating system update so at least in the case of Windows it is optional since you can exclude updates...
>JavaScript in web browsers
... but I REALLY wouldn't recommend not getting it

but gtx it not from intel??

user....

A ha ha ha ha ha ha. AMD masterrace here. My first computer I built in 98 used the AMD K6 and I never looked back to Intellishit.

I have an intel processor

even with being 30% slower it still is better than AMD shit

>a hardware fault
>commissioned by NSA
Possible, but unlikely. It's much easier to do software, that way if/when your caught you can just claim ignorance and patch it with little repercussions.

el chip maldito...

What meme is your pic refering to?

so does pretty much everybody using a computer

test

>tfw trusted the Intel jew and defended them for years

WUHUUU!!!!

Range ban lifted.

Does this affect older intel CPU:s? (i5 4xxxK)

was meant for

FUG!!!
"and is thought to affect ALL Intel processors from the LAST DECADE"

Maybe that i5 4somethingK is affected, but at least i don't have to pay nothing for it.

I unironically blame it on diversity quotas.

>tfw my old i5 2400 has been showing its age for quite some time
>and now this
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK IF I CHANGE MY CPU I'M GONNA HAVE TO CHANGE MY MOBO AND MEMORY TOO AND I'VE GOT NO MONEY FOR THAT

I just got my brothers old hardware when he upgraded to Ryzen and ofcource it is intel i5 4xxxK +mobo +8g RAM, but it is such a big leap forward from my current hardware.

This

>tfw R5 1600 user
>didn't fall for the 7600k meme

also why are there so many fins on Sup Forums?

It affects any Intel CPU made in the last ~10 years.

>nGreddia GPUs heavily rely on syscalls because they don't have their own integrated pipeline to do this, while Radeon has it since GCN 1.1 and up.
Enjoy your toaster.

>got a ryzen because the new intel cpu only had 300€ motherboards when I was buying a new pc
thank you based jews

Yeah, fuck open source...i love proprietary shit now.

Good to know we can always count on you goy!

AMD Ryzen cpu:s are fucking awesome and run circles around same priced intel cpu:S

>An Intel spokesperson was not immediately available for comment.

Do you think they are suiciding in mass by now?

oy vey
jpost.com/Israel-News/Intel-CEO-We-think-of-ourselves-as-an-Israeli-company-as-much-as-a-US-company-484209

Noooooooooooooooooooo

Intel fags eternally btfo

The worst part is that Intel won't really be punished in any real way shape or form for their incompetence and their refusal to disclose a security issue they've known about for a long time. It reminds of the Equifax hack a few months ago; their after the storm had subsided, their stock had only fallen like 20%, and is now stable. Meanwhile, they clearly are not going to get in any sort of trouble, nor are the American consumers going to properly compensated other than maybe a few irrelevant class action lawsuits.

It's utterly sickening just how bad the reign of corporatism has gotten in the US and the Western World at large. They literally are untouchable at this point.

top kekkonen

It's a 22 years old fault that was only discovered last year, so who knows

>newscientist.com
>the register
dropped

Oh no, now the hackers will know my Steam password and can play Euro Truck Simulator while I'm not home, how will I ever recover?

the "fix" for Intel CPU as OS patches will slow AMD as well. It has been termed as "collateral damage".

Damn that sucks I'm pretty happy with my 1600x.

but what's wrong with newscientist

Good thing I'm never going to update Windows 10

Too bad i only trust AMD.
All those years of blind antisemitism is finally paying off.

Is there any amd equivalent to 8700k, that doesn't have shitty IPC?
No there isn't. Amd sucks

yes, this is the only thing that matters: whichever company has the fastest possible CPU with very high price

lets not even think about middle priced models and their performances

I don't care about their cheap shitty cpus. I only buy the best ones, which makes amd irrelevant to me

>I don't have a use case so no one has a use case

but you pay 2x more for 10% increase in power

So if this flaw is a decade old, how come nobody found it until now? Was there no hackers motivated enough to crack the processor?

You will never now. Not that they will tell you.

I'm in the top 1% so i don't care

Intel chips are proprietary, no one except intel themselves can find the flaws

>tfw I just bought an i5.

That's it, I'm done with all fucking kike technology with their planned lifespans. I'm going to switch to ARM and linux.

>not using amd and linux
Are you even Finnish?

Why can't europe into computers?
We can into space, trains, aircrafts, science, but not hardware?

do not delete your profile just in case you wanna reactivate it; all of your pics will be gone once you close your account.

Every fucking time.

Fuck you i*Tel!