Is Blockbuster Culture Dead?

Netflix and streaming services have removed some of the spectacle from family or friend movie nights. Stores like FYE are shutting down, too. There's no fun in browsing through unexpected films on shelves and buying your popcorn/candy in the same trip anymore. Can we revive it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mbbl1NldZQ
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I won't rest until Rafasa's head is on a stick.

The internet will eventually kill all need for direct, face to face interaction for commerce, especially as our way of consuming products through internet advances.

Restaurants will be only things that survive.

>3500 A.C.E(After Computational Epoch)
>Restaurants finally made obsolete after last organic human is roboticized.

All I get searching that is a Blockbuster Uganda meme page.

Mr. Mufasi has returned.

probably not, unless you can change the culture and make it value face to face interaction again

youtube.com/watch?v=1mbbl1NldZQ

While I feel a little nostalgia for the days where I stared at shelves of movies, looking for something to watch, I don't really miss it.
I'm just a few clicks or button presses away from watching literally anything I want, any time I want.
The only way you could bring brick and mortar stores back into the fold is if something dramatic happened to the current system, like if the internet was suddenly shut down or severely limited to the point where online services became too expensive or too much of a hassle.
With current net neutrality laws constantly in the air and in danger, who knows?
We just might see it come back in our lifetimes.

I do feel that our cultue is weirdly pseudosocial now. We value interaction but not typically face-to-face, we want as many people's superficial attention as possible as opposed to fewer people's intimate attention.

>beg mom to take me to blockbuster all week
>go friday evening
>run through new releases
>see walls upon walls of terminator 2
>every box is empty and all the movies are rented out
>run over to Robin Hood, all gone
>Point Break all gone
>all new releases are gone except city slickers and cool as ice
>forced to wander old movie isle for hours only to rent roger rabbit again

Read the book "Reclaiming Conversation"

It's enlightening

>In 2010 a team at the University of Michigan led by the psychologist Sara Konrath put together the findings of 72 studies that were conducted over a 30 year period. They found a 40% decline in empathy among college students, with most of the decline taking place after 2000.

>Across generations, technology is implicated in this assault on empathy. We’ve gotten used to being connected all the time, but we have found ways around conversation—at least from conversation that is open-ended and spontaneous, in which we play with ideas and allow ourselves to be fully present and vulnerable. But it is in this type of conversation –where we learn to make eye contact, to become aware of another person’s posture and tone, to comfort one another and respectfully challenge one another –that empathy and intimacy flourish. In these conversations, we learn who we are…

>There is also the question of solitude…or the lack of it.. The capacity for empathic conversation goes hand in hand with the capacity for solitude. In solitude we find ourselves; we prepare ourselves to come to conversation with something to say that is authentic, ours. If we can’t gather ourselves, we can’t recognize other people for who they are. If we are not content to be alone we turn others into the people we need them to be. If we don’t know how to be alone, we’ll only know how to be lonely. ...

>...But, we turn time alone into a problem that needs to be solved with technology. Timothy D. Wilson, a psychologist at the University of Virginia led a team that explored our capacity for solitude. People were asked to sit in a chair and think, without a device or a book. They were told that they would have from six to 15 minutes alone and that the only rules were that they had to stay seated and not fall asleep. In one experiment many student subjects opted to give themselves mild electric shocks rather than sit alone with their thoughts.

>multiple daily blockbuster threads

>the absolute state of Sup Forums

Its always bugged me how people who prefer a solitary life have always been viewed as weird, or antisocial, or that theres something wrong with them.
Its nice to have friends who understand that you're not depressed, or in a rut, or whatever, you just really value your alone time.
I work around people alll fucking day, so by the time I get off work, i'm done with socializing. I lock the doors, close the blinds, put my phone on silence, and decompress with some vidyagames or movies or whatever. Its not some mental illness or some shit, some people just like being alone.
To me, mental illness is someone constantly needing to be talking to someone, needing constant attention or updating thier status with every little fucking thing they're doing for some reason.

>implying Who Framed Roger Rabbit isn't GOAT

If we could revive it would have to be something like a subscription streaming/physical combo and get in store rewards or some shit while selling merchandise.

>much more convenient to stream

Bases covered

>I want that niche title the service doesn't have because I sit there looking for something similar to only find I wasted my time that could have been watching what I wanted instead

Order it from warehouse or go to local store and have them ready it for pickup.

Netflix and streaming services are flawed because they don't renew licences and they keep trying to make original shows/movies literally nobody will watch only to dump money on something that they could have kept instead.

if i cant socialize no one can.

It sounds interesting.

Netflix and similar services will revive it. Right now they are making a good bit of money from being hyper specific but all the ML shit mostly boils down to statisticians guessing about what the inputs should be until the outputs look right. Eventually random recommendations will work their way in to actually account for your idea

Sounds like the next best thing, then. Part of the fun of Blockbuster was running into shit you never would've even thought to look for.

I too also am nostalgic for inconvenience.

>Too also
It's not entirely inconvenience; for example, some vidya you can't digitally rent.

>Is Blockbuster Culture Dead

It died along with the franchise chain or at least the North American section of it.

What a shame.