What if Wolverine was brought to the big screen in 1975, after his first appearance in the Incredible Hulk...

What if Wolverine was brought to the big screen in 1975, after his first appearance in the Incredible Hulk, would Clint Eastwood have been the perfect casting choice, with Lou Ferigno as the Hulk?

youtube.com/watch?v=ciuOqv6u-aA

Comic book movies didn't have the draw they do now, so hiring an A-lister like Clint would be a very bad idea

Nobody gave a fuck about Wolverine then though

>tries to recast wolverine
>uses 6'4 clint eastwood
>wolverine is 5'3

Hugh Jackman is well over 6' though, wolverine as a manlet named after a small vicious mammal apparently doesn't sell.

Superman was the first cape movie of the modern "big box" era, and that came out in 1978. The thing is, Star Wars is really what enabled the big budget superhero/action movie, and a few years earlier, in 1975, that kind of movie hadn't yet been thought of. In any case, I doubt Clint Eastwood would have wanted to star in a cape movie.

Also remember that Christopher Reeve was a comparative unknown, while today all the A-list actors get parts in cape movies and it's just a normal part of the biz. But none of the big names in 1970s Hollywood like Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford, Paul Newman, and Jack Nicholson ;) would have wanted anything to do with that shit. So that's why a nobody was cast for Superman. In fact, the whole Star Wars cast except Alec Guinness were literally whos.

Not OP but who would you have cast as Batman & Superman around 1998 if Kilmer & Clooney had never happened.

They didn't make capeSHIT movies back in the based 70s.

I thought Gene Hackman was relatively popular at the time.

>Also remember that Christopher Reeve was a comparative unknown, while today all the A-list actors get parts in cape movies

Robert Downey Jr, Edward Norton, Scarlett Johansson, Christian Bale, and Ben Affleck are all the A list actors I can think of that have been cast capeshit in the 21st century. Sure, now it's not as taboo to be in capeshit as it was 30 years ago but Marlon Brando was in Superman 1978. Given there are far more capeshit movies out now, I'd guess the ratio of main characters portrayed by A-listers is right around the same.

Wasn't Gene Hackman, Marlon Brando and Margot Kidder pretty big at the time though? Especially Hackman.

>Spiderman (1977)
>Dr. Strange (1978)
>Superman (1978)
>Captain America (1979)

No one wants to see 5'3 yellow spandex Wolverine, it wouldn't work on screen.

I haven't watched old Incredible Hulk episodes in a long time but was Wolverine really in an episode?

Kurt Russel and Nicolas Cage

there's a reason he emphasized the shit part, back then they were jsut superhero movies but now they mass marketed soulless capeshit, well the Marvel movies anyway, DC movies are all capekino

Backpedaling, I see.

Fight me irl 1v1 mate

Not even the same guy, was trying to help you out but hey, bite the hand that spoonfeeds you.

Observe also that those movies all came out in the late 70s when Star Wars mania was in full swing. You didn't see this stuff in 1971.

RDJ was strung out, arched out, and blacklisted before his return to A-list though wasn't he?

Nick cage as batman, right?
I couldn't stand a balding superman.

Kurt Russell was pushing 50 in the late 1990s, you'd probably want a guy like Tom Cruise who was in his 30s at that time, since that's the prime age for being an action movie star.

>what could have been

Arnold and Mel were relevant action stars until they got into their 50s, it was still possible.

>the whole Star Wars cast except Alec Guinness were literally whos

You're forgetting Peter Cushing. Who maybe wasn't A-list but was far from being unknown.

Harrison Ford was relevant until at least the late 90s.

Six Days, Seven Nights was about the point where Ford lost it and it was time to retire.

he didn't need it. dirty harry was his money-making franchise character

Yes. Arnold was very much a top box office draw all through the 90s, pretty much right up until he decided to run for governor. I don't recall Stallone doing anything of importance after the 80s though.

People just loved Schwarzenegger back then. He could have recorded himself standing in front of a camera naked, picking his nose and saying "fuck" for 90 minutes and it would have made $80 million at the box office. Surveys in the 90s typically put him and Mel Gibson as America's favorite actors despite (lel) neither of them being born as Americans.

Stallone didn't quite have that same larger-than-life persona as Arnold or the charisma.

I don't think there's any actors today as loved as Arnold or Mel or Clint were back in their heyday, maybe we've just gotten more cynical as a society.

Wolverine is a retarded character and gets far too many mentions.
The premise is shit and the gruff miserable portrayal by gayboy ozzynuts is enough to want to switch an x men movie off.

Well, it's harder to preserve that sense of mystique around an actor or a musician today in the social media age.

You're probably right, because I was like 10 when that movie came out and I clearly remember the previews on TV. I don't recall seeing Harrison Ford in _anything_ after that until (lyl) Nu Indiana Jones.

Ford hasn't even tried to seriously act since about 1994. He only shows up on film now to get paid.

>Hugh Jackman is well over 6' though
It's action movies 101. The hero can't look like the fucking midgets from Wizard of Oz.

Yeah they were. Brando and Hackman were cast to get that wider audience.

By the time Hackman did Superman he had already some big movies under his belt.

clint was too tall

fucking dumb capeshit faggots who never read the comics don't know that wolverine is a fucking manlet, which is why his interactions with other xmen can be so funny