Dunning-Kruger & Trump

politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/donald-trump-supporters-dunning-kruger-effect-213904

And for those unfamiliar:
>The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is

How does Sup Forums feel about this article? Are you aware of how little you know?

Other urls found in this thread:

fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-mythology-of-trumps-working-class-support/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're saying that people who support Trump are all overly confident ignoramuses?

You mean like how all voters believe they understand and have the appropriate judgment to determine who is more qualified to handle any given issue?

THE IRONY

So im reading the article and the immediate premise it sets up is that trump supporters are ignorant because most of them don't have college degrees. How brainwashed are liberals seriously.

news at 11

>Dunning–Kruger effect
Nobody knows what this means until its mentioned on Huffpo 3 years ago. Suddenly everyone suffers from this when they disagree with you.

I support Trump and I'm pretty average overall, except for my massive cock.
Dunning-Kruger btfo

Great now we are going to have even more armchair psychologists, stop teaching idiots these theories.

>muh Dunking-Barkley maymay
>mfw it's my fault the enemy team rigged every primary it could
>mfw it's my fault my carry doesn't capitalize on the enemy's weakness
>mfw it's my fault the enemy stacked the media to hell and back
>mfw the enemy dumpstertrash-tier carry wins
>mfw the only common factor is me
Fuck you, dotards. This matchmaking is broken shit. Volvo plz fix.

>armchair psychologist
>article written by actual published and peer reviewed psychologist

>Me ooga
>Party booga
>lose

When will the left realize that calling anybody that doesn't agree with their views stupid is the exact reason people are voting for Trump?

Man, the left is going to be devastated if Trump wins. That potential butt hurt alone is enough for many to vote for him I bet.

Americans just want a candidate that at least will try to prevent the white population to become a minority.
They are protecting their own interests, what's so hard to understand?

Psychology is the most heavily politicized """science""" in academia.

When your entire field is based on speculation and conjecture, you can make """science""" say whatever you want.

Pol isn't that much different, if you disagree with people on here you're called a Jew and or a shill

So I don't want to read this.

Please explain why it is that they believe people that overestimate their own abilities are drawn to a right wing candidate.

There's some choice irony here.

For a psychologist doing an obvious political pitch, he's really bad at persuasion. What do they honestly expect this to do except make people dislike who they represent even more?

>actually calling opposition subhumans
>thinking that journalists are above the common man
>liberals actually calling people the Untermensch
This is much better than confirmation bias telling you that everything that supports your argument is just a coincidence.

no posting the same thtead every day at the same time every day with misinformation makes you a shill

Hillary is literally the worst, the most corrupt, the most truly evil candidate to ever run for President, and yet it's Trump's supporters that suffer from a cognitive bias? Are leftists truly insane?

This explains so much.

It's like every single journalist actually believes they're competent while spouting a constant stream of uninformed bias. I miss the days when the truth mattered.

>hurp durp trump voters are low information

sure they are. Like literally everyone else. Also, at this point you´re already uninformed if you don´t follow the mainstream media.

So Trumo followers are now racist, sexist, rapists, communists, terrorists and now mentally ill.
I think they've run out of buzzwords.

Gee, I have a BSc in Econ (not a BA) from a top school, and have been to 61 countries while living in four of them. My wife and I make a combined $180,000 a year.

I guess I'm just a complete low class, uneducated retard for seeing the appeal of Trump.

/thread
Everyone can fall under Dunning-Kruger effect. The problem is the paradox of those claiming they're able to recognize that others are under it.

The modern Left have got to be the most condescending culture that has ever existed

It's not a mental illness, it's a name for a concept of being so stupid, you can't tell how stupid you are. Also, so amazing, you take it for granted that everybody is as good as you, but nobody brings up that part.

Lets disprove these "Trump supporters are human trash" accusations with a quick survey:

-Are you currently employed and/or in school?

-Have any degrees of any type?

-Do you live in your own place?

-What do you do with your free time?

-How much do you read fiction books per week? Non-fiction books?

And *most importantly* - HOW HAVE YOU EDUCATED YOURSELF ON Sup Forums RELATED TOPICS (politics, economics, geopolitics, philosophy, history, literature, etc.)? Have you actually looked at any of this beyond youtube videos and Sup Forums posts?

>you're not voting for a literal demon because you're stupid

I can't wait for Trump to purge these fucks.

Here's another problem. People like this guy. Psychologists disagree and bicker all the time. Taking any one psychologists word for fact is idiotic. Most psychologist worth anything will not diagnose anyone without intensive therapy, and will not make huge generalizations like this without even more intensive research.

Anyone here find this article funny after seeing all of the leftists smug in "knowing" that they're smarter than the people who disagree with them, while engaging in obvious doublethink and not knowing shit.

If anything, more of the people who are dogmatic in their political opinions, people who are from all parts of the political spectrum, fit better into this category of people.

In the past year or two dunning-kruger arguments have almost become fallacy.

Instead of being properly used to describe a specific phenomena, people use it as an argument against an entire ethos. Ironically, this type of "I sound smart by making this argument of dunning-kruger" is the real dunning-kruger phenomenon. Not to mention the counterargument would be attempting to disprove a negative.

saged

only if you dont have an argument
If you want to avoid (you)'s, you must be able to distinguish between reality and 'the matrix'

It's funny when MSM talks about ignorance, while they go out of their way to ignore all the corruption of Hillary.

Can you imagine if the situation was reversed? Trump with Hillary's record would have been crucified by the media long ago. Instead, they have to play semantic games 24/7 just to slander him.

Also,
>psychology
>science

You mean like liberals

>I TOOK THIS WOMEN'S STUDIES DEGREE SO I KNOW BETTER THAN WHITE MEN WITH DECADES EXPERIENCE

This thread is part of the "Correct the Record" shilling action.

See Sage goes in the options field. Also spiderman.

So then instead of saging and hiding, Sup Forums needs to do its own CTR around the clock.

Welcome to the Information War!

There needs to be a Meta Dunning Kruger effect study that proves people who cite the Dunning Kruger effect to imply their own superiority are also dickless retards

Good thing that poor blacks and illegal immigrants don't suffer from this same effect, right?

>relatively unskilled individuals

But I have a masters degree in CS, which is eons above most liberal arts retards who think going to college = being smart.

I love how the media just loves to spin the "You're dumb if you vote for X" just like they did with Brexit and they lost because of it.

Insulting the Majority only goes sof ar.

It more accurately describes the dipshits who believe everything the media says about him.

Enjoy your wasted lifetime.

SAGE SAGE SAGE

>suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is

that sounds like feminism

>Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's own attributes. The term originated from Greek mythology, where the young Narcissus fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water.

We can play this pseudo-psychology game too, libs.

Anyone brave enough to be honest?

>You guys don't like my political party?
>Here, let me explain why you just like him fox "x" reason, not his political views

And yet, we are the fascists...

>oh you like Trump?
>let me explain to you why you're a subhuman mongrel, because fuck white men

What the fuck is with all these "scientific" psychology articles and "studies" that show up trying to explain how retarded conservatives are?

It's like they think someone voting for Trump is so absurd, so idiotic, that there must be some kind of complex, psychological reason why they would make such a choice.

This stuff is just a mockery of actual science...

I'm a big fan of the dunning Kruger effect but I've been seeing it misapplied to trump. First it's effect in the election is likely present on both sides, but the articles espousing it's impact on the trump campaign tend to be ironic examples of it.
> Hey guize I just learned about this psych theory lemme apply it haphazardly to my political lender :DDDD

Then there is a true understanding of the effect, as people learn about a subject their confidence in it drops like a rock, only to finally start to climb again when they matter it but never equal their true knowledge. I think this middle ground more describes trump, he knows enough to know who to talk to.

Finally the elephant in the room: if trump is so stupid how did he build a billion dollar company

Sorry for typos and fragmented thoughts in on phone

God, that would be great. We could do a gofundme.

The problem with having our own CTR equivalent is that we would have to find a competent and trustworthy leader. Someone to manage the gofundme, accept, moniter, and pay our shills.

I like the idea, but it would be difficult.

>What the fuck is with all these "scientific" psychology articles and "studies" that show up trying to explain how retarded conservatives are?

Where do you think most of these marxist regressives get their degrees?

A vast majority of them infest the humanities and liberal arts, psychology being their primary foothold.

Yes, in school, work on campus
None yet, working on history degree
Yes
Read, watch movies, hang out
I mean, for courses I'll read anywhere between 50-200 pages a night. By myself I mostly go back and forth between fiction and nonfiction. So like 1 every two to three weeks.
I talk with professors, read political magazines, and occasionally read political academia. If you educate yourself from Sup Forums and youtube you're a literal dolt.

Trump is a protest candidate, that's the main reason his supporters overlook a lot of stupid shit he says. It's the same with democrats and the way they systematically ignore and minimize Hillary's scandals. Ignorance is certainly a factor on both sides, but ultimately it's about tribalism and the conviction, that the other side will destroy America if they get into power.

Remember to sage slide threads!
Use bananas!

Wow, this will surely stump the Trump! Telling Trump supporters that the real reason they support him is that they are in actual fact retarded mongoloids will certainly make them their support behind Hillary. Damn, these ((liberals)) are just way too smart for us, lads.

I am now #MentallyHill

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance, something libtards fail at miserably...

I really don't know how to feel about this picture.

Wat

both
a certificate if that counts
yes
shitpost/read/listen to audio books/vidja depends on how tired I am
I don't read books as much as scholarly articles
I took enough ap courses in history while in hs to be halfway through a degree if I decided I wanted to major in history, that combined with the fact I actually try to read through the scholarly articles published on certain topics that interest me means I'm reasonably well educated I come to pol mostly for argument

EL EM AYY OH

fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-mythology-of-trumps-working-class-support/ but Trump supporters are highly educated and successful

oh look, its a 'someone doesn't share my worldview, therefore they are suffering from a psychological effect and therefore nobody rational could possible disagree with me' episode

Fuck off. As a person with dunning-kruger syndrome, it's easy to tell that you don't know shit about it

Get a real education you neanderthal

Archive ffs, I'm not giving this man suffering from the Dunning-Kruger bias my click.

Article ended on a surprisingly reasonable point

>As such, if we find ourselves worried about the apparent gullibility of the Trump voter, which may be flamboyant and obvious, we should surely worry about our own naive political opinions that are likely to be more nuanced, subtle, and invisible—but perhaps no less consequential. We all run the risk of being too ill-informed to notice when our own favored candidates or national leaders make catastrophic misjudgments.

So close

I have a college degree and I support trump. I see this argument a lot lately, basically the media is trying to make undecided voters think all the smart people are voting for Hillary. It's an appeal to authority fallacy. Never heard this argument when everyone with a degree preferred Romney

I mean, is the plan to just call all Trump supporters the worst of the worst and that'll make them change their minds and vote Democrat? Because the opposite is happening and people double down.

Not true. Shut up jew.

assuming the article is true, and trump is ignorant, it's still better to throw in an idiot with good intentions in the oval office than it is to throw in an experienced, corrupt politician with a bad track record and bad intentions.

any of trump's far out proposals will be met by resistance by his advisors and then secondly by congress.

Oh I hope you guys arent lying on the internet.

My biggest issue with Sup Forums is not with whatever particular view thymey wish to espouse, but rather how they came into that view.

Many posters here it seems have not put in the intellectual groundwork to understand and flesh out a personal belief, but instead take a prepackaged view from youtube personalities or Sup Forums posts/pictures without question, no critical thinking involved.

not an argument shill jew

fucking useless lizardman

It's at least a step above all the new "economists" that started showing up after Brexit.

kekd

Employed, work IT.

Never finished my bachelors in Philosophy. I got tired of the bullshit and spending money on it.

Yes I have my own place.

Play paintball (Tournament), vidya, shoot, lift, bike and skate.

I don't have a whole lot of time to read anymore but I listen to audio books while riding, skating and lifting.

I try and stay up to date on the news and current events I have a circle friend that often make sure that we are all informed.

So there you have it, gentlemen. White men support Trump because they're disgusting low-IQ sub-humans who are incapable of even comprehending how stupid they are. After all the honest and truth-loving media, "fact-checking" websites and politically impartial experts said about Trump, it is impossible for any clever person to want to vote for him. He only promotes hatred, division and fear, and everyone who is smart can see that. It's that simple. We see the whole picture and there is absolutely no justifiable reason to vote for Trump. I'm glad we can finally agree on this.

Vote Hillary btw.

That is literally the dumbest fucking article I have read in a long time.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a fascinating study about how personal expectations regress (just above) the mean, and what conditions allow a person to readjust their self-appraisals in light of peer observations. Interestingly, it does not need to apply to matters of objective fact, merely intersubjective.

It would seem that this would apply to a question like, "Which of these were good presidents?" Unfortunately for the author, there is no intersubjective consensus on these topics in the first place. You can tell, because the author immediately switches to random shit people believe about foreign policy. You can also tell because this is published in politico.

I'm absolutely floored that this author, otherwise a well-respected and well-educated figure, supposes that there is some intersubjective consensus on foreign policy on which we can establish a mean and give rankings to people. Just look at how nations have behaved throughout the world, and throughout history.

For some real science, instead of social science, consider the following.

Mathematically, if we assume that there is some objective fact of the matter (though we don't know it, and don't even know how to discover it, etc), and we assume that the mean probability that of selection over the voters need be just over 50%, then democracy has a better than 50% chance of selecting the "right" option, and the more voters the better the chances. Note: the probability is averaged over voters, it needn't mean that the population itself has a majority of voters which have a probability over 50% of selecting the "right" option (whatever that may be). This is an extension of Condorcet's Jury Theorem. This can be extended to more than one choice, with suitably-redefined probability assignments (plurality percentage, basically.)

(Reference: "Epistemic Democracy, List and Goodin, 2001)

David Dunning should be embarrassed.

you fucking dunce. I am 30 years old
I have a STEM bachelors, LL.B. and a masters degree in business as well. I am a CFA candidate. I have a wife and kids, and while I obviously rent (I live in a large urban area), I have a property as well.
I spend time with my wife and kids as well as work out - 4-5 times a week at a gym, as well as run.

I don't read as much as I used to - work and family will do that, but I am far more literate economically and politically that you are, that's for sure.

Now, will you reciprocate, KNEukCVT, and especially expand on what brings you to these parts outside of your hugbox?

That is a very good point user.

Also, easier for someone to hur-dur "let me show you a new word I learned" than to read a Johnathan Haidt book that actually covered this stuff years ago.

Trump is such a bad idea.

underrated post, an actually good critique that doesn't rely on Jews, libtard, Really Makes You Think.

But c'mon now, I'm tired of the "social science isn't real science" meme

>-Are you currently employed and/or in school?
Employed as a programmer

>-Have any degrees of any type?
Bachelor's

>-Do you live in your own place?
Nope. Live with mummy and daddy.

>-What do you do with your free time?
Video games desu

>-How much do you read fiction books per week? Non-fiction books?

>And *most importantly* - HOW HAVE YOU EDUCATED YOURSELF ON Sup Forums RELATED TOPICS (politics, economics, geopolitics, philosophy, history, literature, etc.)? Have you actually looked at any of this beyond youtube videos and Sup Forums posts?
Not much ;_;

I had to throw a meme in somewhere. I hope it was clear I do like the original paper (and its followup).

Politico is a Dem shill. Why would you listen to them?

The exact same reasoning can be applied to Hillary supporters. These articles are just based in speculation, not facts (even the ones on Trump's side)

Right?

What kinda retards think that someone without an education is ignorant?

See:
>Dunning–Kruger effect

>a party full of niggers calls a dunning-kruger on the opposition

I have a stem bachelor's and live with my parents and my adult siblings too, but pay ~700 dollars in rent monthly. I'm thinking of getting my own place but it's so convenient to live 5 minutes away from my employer.