Tried to use satire and irony to criticize fascism and point out things about American culture

>tried to use satire and irony to criticize fascism and point out things about American culture

>ends up being loved to the opposite of its effect

Has there ever been a film that's failed as spectacularly as Starship Troopers has in trying to get across its message?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
avclub.com/article/paul-verhoeven-14078.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hate to break it to you, but not everybody is as retarded as you seemingly are, dipshit

the book did a better job, a retard with a pool noodle emblazoned with "fascism is bad" could do a better job

Never really got this line of thinking. Almost everybody Rico truly loved is dead by the end of the movie, he's stuck with the cheating bitch.
He didn't even want to be in the military.

>Implying America won't become fascist the moment the Weimerica Republic ends

Wolf of Wallstreet

Who would have thought showcasing extravagance and ambition isn't the best way denounce envy and impulse.

>getting triggered over a movie being misinterpreted because of its clumsy portrayal

Ahhh, lib-cucks, your tears are always delicious. And no, I'm smarter than you, that's just a plain fact, sweety.

You guys need to ask yourselves who the fans of this movie are today. Who watches the shit out of this movie? Who quotes it? Who actually owns it?
Are they lefty urban sophisticates? Are they the intellectual elite? The educated? The sophisticated?
Or are they in fact something else entirely??

Starship troopers is the antithesis of The Producers.

There are very few people that don't like this film.
This is one of those things that's almost universally liked.

It's a good and fun movie even divorced from any political messages you can get out of it though. It's hardly the fascist icon you make it out to be.

Was she the worst actor of all time with her "thank you for picking United Airlines" smile?

>the book did a better job

Heinlein's political views by the time of Starship Troopers were routinely Conservative. The book did not promote any anti-fascist propaganda. It was all mostly in earnest.

>if I miss the point of the film this means the film failed
I don't get this attitude.

I'm guessing it comes from people who flunk tests far too often.

This, actually.
I'm a christian reactionary/fascist and this is one of my favourite films.
I've never met a leftie that's even heard of this movie but all my friends love it.

>It's a good and fun movie
See? If you picked up on the supposed 'satire', you couldn't possibly say this. The 'satire' failed: this movie is a glowing tribute to fascist propaganda, because it proves that fascist propaganda actually works.

>If you picked up on the supposed 'satire', you couldn't possibly say this
Why?

>Are they lefty urban sophisticates? Are they the intellectual elite? The educated? The sophisticated?

Love all the oxy-morons you included in that. It really drives home the paradoxical irony of the film, or trying to criticize right wingers while simultaneously promoting their ideologies.

Satire isn't divorced from fun. If anything, it's tightly wrapped around it.

I can dig it.

The 'good' and 'fun' bits. You wouldn't consider those elements of the film entertainment without being thoroughly indoctrinated into fascist thinking. You are a fascist; you just don't realize it. Because the indoctrination and propaganda have gone right past your conscious reasoning, into your core self. If you consider fascist propaganda to be 'entertaining', then you are a fascist by definition.

OP didn't miss the point, he even acknowledge it, the movie failed in its attemp to satire

So, what you're saying is that you are unable to differentiate reality from fiction.

I suggest looking into seeing a psychiatrist multiple times a week.

You're your own perception of the film onto other people. Claiming "people love it for other reasons besides the satire" is hardly groundbreaking news, anyway.

How many finals do you fail on average, OP? Bet you think it's the teacher's fault.

I never liked satirical movies. They're the very definition of playing the same joke for far too long. I mean I get it; it's satire. This is over the top and pokes fun at fascism. I really do get it movie. I still don't care about the characters (but they're over the top and bad ON PURPOSE), nor the story. Two hours of the same joke kind of kills it

>You're a fascist because you believe in contributing to a society!

>You're a fascist because you believe in having personal responsibility for your actions!

>You're a fascist because you don't think war should end forever!

Not really, you seem like an unreasonable man.

>fascism and conditional rights to vote are bad mmmkay

this is what the average liberal turns into when talking about right wing concepts

OP Here. I've already got a degree and working on my second.

lul

Closeted fascists.
I'm arguing for your side, idiot. Stop helping the libtards.

I don't know, if that user missed the point of your post it's pretty much confirmed you failed to make a point.

It was just a shit movie in general, desu

>Because some people didn't get, the movie failed!

People don't understand stories and messages all the time, just look at prosperity gospel preachers with the Bible or wiccans with Lord of the Rings. It doesn't mean that the work is intrinsically wrong, just that there are stupid people.

It didn't fail. American audiences are just really, really stupid.

I don't think the film tried to mock fascism. If you look at some of the scenes, like the class scene with the 'history of moral philosophy', the professor argues that violence solves problems. He punks out that one girl and she shuts up.

I think the film was just over the top and not trying to argue for or be against fascism. It was just "fuck yeah, Starship troopers!" more than anything because it was the 90s and people weren't as faggoty and uptight as they are today.

Only you didn't actually read the book it seems.

Oh, kid - that's sweet that you want to play! But you're mad, and I don't play with buttblasted libtards....

What's your degree in boy? I got my old engineering books to see if you really earned that shit.

Where on the autism spectrum did your therapist place you? 'Cause I'm guessing somewhere around Asperger's.

It was very clearly mocking facism and militaristic societies. In that same class scene you have the teacher maimed from wars like all of the older characters, plus with the heavy hinting that the Humans attacked the bugs first all paints the whole system as less than ideal.

It's a matter of MOST people, though, not some. Liberals are not fans of this movie; rednecks and gun-nuts ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT AND WATCH IT REPEATEDLY.
Are a bunch of women gonna watch this? No. Gays? No. Beer-guzzlin' wifebeaters? You betcha!

I pretty much only remember her tits.

Where are you coming up with these claims? Starship Troopers has high user reviews on most liberal sites you fucking inbred

this is some quality bait friend

But user: the fascist military society won. They were the heroes. The audience never for one second cheered for the bugs.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

Most people are stupid as fuck, that doesn't make a whole fucking lick of difference, Most people can't point out Vietnam on a map. Besides, i'm leftish and loved the movie as well as other decidedly liberal people I know.

>he didn't spot the satire in that post
this is ironic on so many layers it's not even funny

Different user here.
One of the final lines is 'It's afraid!' while the bug has a very human-esque terrified expression on its face.
Either way, nothing you said precludes satire.

but those tits

everyone loves starship troopers because it's entertaining and has the perfect amount of cheese

why are you trying to make this some kind of weird political underdog victory thing

So? Them winning wasn't portrayed as a good thing. Their society was violent and jingoistic, and by the very end it's obvious that the bugs were actually afraid of them. They cheer when that one guy says "It's afraid!"

So? INGSOC wins in 1984, bad guys win in stories sometimes, the point was that the film shows how the fascist society is awful in subtle ways, like everybody above recruitable age being maimed and scarred, the cheery but slightly disturbing propaganda videos, the implication that the government started the war and does not give a single shit about the masses of cannon fodder, like Rico and everyone from Buenos Aires, who would and die.

ty
But do they watch the shit out of it? Are they frothing-at-the-mouth fans of it, like the 'inbreds' are? No.
fascist
Oh, kiddo......yer drowning..........
But user: the moviemakers CHOSE to make the 'enemy' bugs. BUGS. "Bugs" is how every fascist system refers to its opponents. If the moviemakers wanted to make a satire, then they would NOT have made the 'bad guys' bugs. They would have humanized them in some way, to point out the fallacious thinking in fascist ideology. The filmmakers did not do this; they chose to make the badguys into literal bugs.
That's not satire: that's full-blown fascism.

>Dizz will never be your gf
End it lads

I just gave you a scene in which they were humanised. You're not listening to me.

>In that same class scene you have the teacher maimed from wars like all of the older characters,

that was actually in the book

they were meant to scare people off or something like that,

In 1984 the audience is sad that INGSOC breaks his mind; in Starship Troopers, the audience is cheering that humanity stomped the bugs.
Big difference.

Again, the movie humanizes the bugs, that was the whole point of the ending scene. Are you incapable of understanding sarcasm or anything subtle at all?

Oh, I listened: your 'example' is a stretch, to put it mildly. No one remembers the sad brainbug: they remember starship troopers wasting inhuman bugs. With glee.

Low quality bait

If you're just going to disregard my points we really don't have much to discuss man. The brainbug scene is important because after a whole movie of inhuman bugs, you realise they actually do have thoughts and feelings.

I know it is, but Verhoeven subverted the books with the whole anti-militaristic message, I doubt he didn't focus on it just for shits and giggles.

But they were humanized, at the very end. The fact that they were humanized just emphasizes the fact that the only reason why they were slaughtered at all was because they looked different, when in reality they are capable of feeling what we feel.

weakness is for the subhumans

Again, this lame-assed 'humanization' you speak of is an afterthought in the movie. It happens AFTER the main plot, after all the action. It's like it was put in the movie JUST TO GIVE YOU LIBTARDS AN EXCUSE TO LIKE IT.
And you loved it, user, didn't you?
Because, deep down, you are a fascist. You have already been indoctrinated, and you don't know it...

Where are you getting this whole audience shit from man, in about every review or piece of media involving the film they mention the satire aspect of it. I'm sure there are people who took it at face value but Starship Troopers was a cult film that flopped at the box office, the reason its remembered is for the satire.

it was put there literally to criticize fascism, you're retarded

You don't have to deliberately be inflammatory just because you've run out of points to make.

go to bed zizek

Low quality b8
There's a scene where they make a point to show the very human-esqe eye of one of the bugs, as it lays on the ground
They hint that the humans attacked first, causing the war
They show that every scientific advancement made has been done to find more efficient ways to kill the bugs, rather than attempting to communicate
The final scene, with the brain bug, is done to wink at the audience, it's probably the one time the movie really shows their hand

If you are too obtuse too understand it, I don't know what to tell you my man

Because it forces you to question everything you were told and shown in the beginning of the movie. It makes you realize that everything in the beginning was just obvious propaganda and the society just wants an excuse to kill and conquer shit

>I'm arguing for your side, idiot

Top 10 anime betrayals

I first saw this movie as a kid and I loved it.

Now I'm older and I've discovered nationalism and I love it.

Ok man I get that you have some agenda where you want to make everyone who likes this movie into some closeted fascist but if Verhoeven wanted to make a pro-militaristic or pro-fascist film why even bother with the satire and subvert the film right at the end and subtly throughout? Why not just adapt Starship troopers directly? Why undermine your own message? Also, why is a movie that failed at the box office some huge hit for "rednecks", I realize this is anecdotal but whenever somebody loves Starship Troopers they always mention the satire as a key feature of the film.

>spoonfeed me my opinions
Hey, you are up to speed! Very good.
And yet you responded....oi
>human-esqe eye
It was a big black orb, not human at all. You're reaching for facts.
>hint humans attacked first
When? Where? What's the line??
>every advancement to kill the bugs
No - remember the televised debaters? The woman mentioned brain bugs, and the man discarded her opinion out-of-hand. And the reporter mentioned a 'live and let live' attitude. So the movie pointed out deliberately that the human society was reasonable, with reasonable people within it.
>the final scene
The final scene was added to help you stomach the indoctrination - you accepted the fascist ideology because it had a nice cherry on top that satisfied your conscious ideology. But subconsciously, you have a very different ideology.

Ugly pancake titties

>When? Where? What's the line??
Its alongside the colonization stuff, the government was settling bug planets and agitated the bugs, the bugs are not entirely innocent per se but the government lied about being attacked for no reason, compare it to the Gleiwitz incident in effect despite the slightly differenty origins. If you need to be spoonfed you can read this, avclub.com/article/paul-verhoeven-14078. You're doing a really poor aping of the Pervert's guide my friend, try something else.

If this is bait though, I applaud you.

>Its alongside the colonization stuff, the government was settling bug planets and agitated the bugs,
You're making shit up.
And you shouldn't talk about spoonfeeding when you have obviously been spoonfed your erroneous ideas from the one person most inclined to be deceptive about his purposes...
Like, seriously: you think he's going to claim he made fascist propaganda? The poor guy may not even be aware of what he's doing - but he made a brilliantly fascist film. This is what happens when you grow up in a fascist regime: you are made fascist without realizing it.

Fight Club

ITT: alt-right """""""logic"""""""

>actually, I'm on the bugs' side because I'm enlightened

American History X

Hey, stay cucked, closet-fascist. Stay controlled and weak.

Cease with your paranoid delusions, you overestimate the power of fascism. If Verhoeven is a secret facist why would he subtly shit on facism in the film? Wouldn't he make a very anti-facist movie instead, one that secretly promotes facism? I'm really sorry that you can't understand subtleness, but the movie's adored by its fans for the satire of militaristic society. You'd have a better case if you were talking about any of the sequels, those are much more facist-leaning than the first film ever could be.

This

>if I pretend to be retarded maybe I'll have a point
kek

Can we talk about the real tragedy of the movie and it is the only good movie in its series?

>not remembering peak Amy Smart
pleb

the book doesn't age as well as the film desu

ITT the mentally retarded debate eachother

>the movie's adored by its fans for the satire of militaristic society.
Really? They don't adore it for the action? It's the satire that engages fans??
Funny, but I have yet to hear of anyone who watches it for the satire...for the action, sure; Brazil is a far more effective satire, yet FAR more people adore Starship Troopers.

It's almost like these tiny little snippets of 'satire' completely counteract the film's overall effect...
But it's more like these snippets were included to allow the fascist message to enter your mind unopposed...

Starship Troopers (the movie, not the book) is a test for the Audiance: are you gullible enough to be taken in by fascist propaganda?

The movie presents horrible things in a super cheery and fun way. If you are looking at the world presented and thinking to yourself "oh yeah that's cool" then you are an idiot who is easily distracted by face-value messages and stylish production value. The movie opens with shot for shot remake of scenes from Trimuph of the Will.

>Tried to portray elite cops as ruthless bandit murderes and depicted college students as Stoners, the movie was to set up how ruthless and bad cops are.. turn out everybody loved thrm and hated criminals and Stoners. They corrected the Record on the Second movie.

>I got to have you, Johnny

You know what's really sad? That all those guys are actors. Physical humans. Extras either paid or doing it for free. Now? This scene in the remake is going to be CGI.

Pretty much