99% of Sup Forums absolutely BTFO

99% of Sup Forums absolutely BTFO

wow really makes you sage

>he went into trades

skilled laborers also have an artificially low income ceiling despite doing the most useful work

>the cement mixer makes minimum wage
>the road builder makes $25/hr
>the engineer starts at $50/hr
>the financier writes a number on a slip of paper, slides it across the desk
>the financier's boss nods and his will be done, on earth as it is in heaven

so give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us
and lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil
for thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory
for ever and ever.amen

OY VEY DONT GET ANY DECENT SKILLS BECOME A DEBT SLAVE TO COLLEGE GOYIM

wtf I hate working for $75k a year at 24 now

>dirty jobs

I'm American and have literally never heard anyone talk shit about trade jobs no matter how dirty or shitty they are. Even garbage men who aren't even very technical are pretty well respected because "someone has to do it". If anything I have always heard praise from people about how back-breaking work and high-skilled jobs are the most valuable to society compared to some cunt sitter on her ass in HR.

This guy acts like he's from the 19th century when working a trade was lower-class.

That said, yeah if everyone goes into a trade the jobs will stop being lucrative. The best option for young people is entrepreneurial and creative ways to create industry rather than try and fill one past capacity.

this.

only lefty, elitist-trash college students think like that b/c they grow up with a superiority complex. Because they come from money they learn that they are better than others and skills-based jobs are lower status than "intelligence"-based jobs.

We all know it's a small part of class war that made more sense when universities truly taught academic particulars with an emphasis on practical careers like finance, law, and medicine, rather than the critical theory crap they push now on liberal arts students, who are arguably 80% of all university students.

good posts but i only see americans advocating for trades, for the main reason because trades are not well paid jobs in europe. I wish it would be different.

I'm a white-collar professional in one of the country's most expensive neighborhoods and everyone is a spoiled brat. my commute this morning was marred by some woman repeatedly whining "come on, it's rush hour" just loud enough for the conductor to hear, but not annoying enough to get kicked off

they don't care who does the job, they EXPECT it to be done because if the service is 5 minutes late, somebody HAS to get fired. as someone whose entire previous working life was in the service industry, that pisses me off so I have to make an extra effort to inject a little humanity into my day

nature vs. nuture aside, small pleasantries are NOT encouraged in this city. it's normal to hear someone walk up to a service counter and say, without preamble, "i want this"

trades in our frozen tundra land are well-paid, especially if you monopolise a market, i.e. you're the only electrician in the area. that happens a lot b/c people don't want to make less money in the city even tho rural canada is comfy af and cheap to live in + only whites.

Trades are paid reasonably well in Australia but you can't be a shit cunt who just works as a mechanic and expect to make much at all.

Electricians that end up with specialized skills usually end up with pretty good money.

I see autistic "alt-right" STEM majors talk shit about trades on (Nu)Sup Forums all the time

>hurrdurr u weren't smart enough 2 get into college?
>lel STEM master race $250k/yr confirmed job when I graduate
>enjoy shopping at Costco for your apartment's kitchen, poorfag
>gunna buy a 201[x] master race Mercedes Benz with my STEM fortune

that sounds like a dream. Being a comfy electrician in some tundra place while returning back at your comfy home.

You really shouldn't be complaining.

The only extra expense I had with university were transportation and rent. Still, the university paid my tuition and employed me, so I'm making a little bit in the end kek

HOLY FUCKING KEK at this shit

>MUH PHYSICAL WORK IS HARRRRRD!!!!

>MUH PHYSICAL WORK ISN'T RESPECTED BY MY PEERS THE SAME WAY A DEGREE IN 18TH CENTURY BLACK MIDWIFERY IS!!!!!

>MUH PHYSICAL WORK HAS LIMITATIONS TO NUMBER OF JOBS NEEDED, NEVER MIND THE MILLIONS OF USELESS DEGREE HOLDERS OUT THERE TODAY WORKING AT MCDONALDS BECAUSE THERE'S NO FIELD FOR THEM TO WORK IN!!!!!

Written by a millennial dipshit lazy fucker, no question about it. May as well have just wrapped it up with "Why can't the state just take care of all of us so we never have to work a real job?"

the trades are awesome if you aren't a pussy and aren't afraid of hard work

the low pay meme is dumb, most journeymen in electric, plumbing, fire protection, etc are all pushing 75k+ a year, usually more because of tons of OT

the breaking your body meme is false too, many skilled guys work well into their 60s, moving into management positions

this profession is one of the few unfeminized professions in the US where you can talk shit with your buddies all day and have a good time, no left wing manginas to be found

HOW DARE YOU GOYIM NOT GO $50,000 IN DEBT TO LEARN TRANSSEXUAL BASKET WEAVING! IT IS YOUR DESTINY, YOU DON'T WANT TO BE "UNEDUCATED" DO YOU?

Honestly you should grow a thicker skin. I understand how small pleasantries from your clients are nice, but you are there for the primary purpose of adequately performing your job with a good level of service. Being late, slow, difficult, incompetent is pretty inexcusable and is part of the reason western service industry is a mockery compared to a place like Japan.

When you have your work hat on, you aren't there to make friends or have your pride on your sleeve. You aren't even there to be you; the person.

That's no excuse for anyone to be publicly rude, or disrespectful but you can't expect them to abide poor service.

you've never spent an entire day on a roof, have you?

>usually more because of tons of OT

lol yeah who doesn't like sleeping on a job site?

you fucking kids i swear

what does OT mean?

overtime

WAGENIGGERS EAT SHIT

No, rather, I've spent entire weeks and months reconfiguring warehouses, hauling rocks, moving heavy shit, and basically doing physical things for years before settling down at a desk job in my own company.

Roofing is hard, but come on, let's not pretend it's going to leave you ruined in 10-20 years. For fuck's sake, even UPS drivers who are moving shit all fucking day long seem to make it 25-35 years to retirement, and they do a fuckton more physical stuff than a roofer does. Just don't fall off the fucking roof, and you'll be fine.

I'm not putting down roofing specifically, but since when did Rowe ever just say "Become a roofer!!!!", the article is about the skilled trades in general, so if roofing isn't your thing, then do electrical work, or plumbing, or HVAC, or something else, for Christ's sake. Lots of choices out there for anyone not too lazy to actually explore beyond one option.

I know the service worker is a role, but in other parts of the country this open contempt for shit jobs just isn't there.

It's the same in the street. people as close as the mid-atlantic remarkably do not fail to notice each other and even go so far as to smile and/or say "hi" in passing.

it ultimately doesn't matter, but there's no reason to let that kind of behavior rub off on me.

>internet told me that _________ is the only career path worth pursuing; any other career path is a meme
>different part of the internet says that __________ is a meme
>hurr durr BTFO

This type of thinking is just stupid. It's possible to make a lot of money in trades, just like it's possible to make a lot of money in hundreds of other professions, but every profession has its advantages and disadvantages, and nothing is ever guaranteed. Instead of asking strangers on the internet what job they think is the only job that anyone anywhere should ever do, try making an honest assessment of your interest and skillsets, and investigate options that appeal to you. College isn't a guaranteed path to success, neither are trades; both can work out for you depending on how hard you work and what choices you make.

Best advice I can give anyone is don't go into a profession just because everyone is flocking there and you think it's going to be a guaranteed path to easy money; odds are it isn't, especially if it's overcrowded. If you're going to college, major in something that interests you that has a career path attached to it. If possible, choose a state school or ideally a community college to minimize the amount of money you'll have to borrow. Don't just go to college because you can't think of anything better to do.

If you have a genuine interest in a trade or if college just doesn't appeal to you, then investigate different options and how to get there. Be prepared for long hours and hard work. Also, do your research on what you need to do to get a job in your chosen trade in the first place. Some of them are a little difficult to get into because of unions and seniority and such, which can be doubly discouraging if you don't give a shit about the profession and are only in it for the """""easy""""" money.

tldr; pick a job that genuinely appeals to you, don't just flock to whatever job people on the internet are currently saying is a sure thing.