What's your national musical instrument? Ours is Kantele, or Kannel

What's your national musical instrument? Ours is Kantele, or Kannel.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qe6byGXw9XU
youtube.com/watch?v=JAQD-ehto7I
youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-2FoCqpr0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyckelharpa
youtube.com/watch?v=tVKWiseNGUU
youtube.com/watch?v=wtEKUWRpUWg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

suka blet

>they are all adaptations of op's

bagpipes

Ours is the Celtic harp, sometimes called the lever harp, as opposed to the pedal harp used in orchestral music.

The traditional version had metal strings and a heavier soundboard, and was played with the fingernails. The modern version was invented by John Egan in Dublin in the 19th century, features gut strings and can be played with the pads of the fingertips. Scottish and Breton variants of the modern Celtic harp also exist.

The harp was the most prestigious instrument in Gaelic aristocratic culture, and harpers were men of high social standing, despite often being poor. It was said that to learn the harp properly, one had to devote their lives to it and if you hadn't started learning by 7 yrs old it was too late. For this reason Harpers were often blind, as it was the most respectable profession for a nobleman's blind son.

The harp has long been a symbol of Irish culture. Cromwell's agents in Ireland were ordered to destroy harps as they were a symbol of resistance and to this day the harp is the national symbol of Ireland, appearing on our money and the coat of arms of our country.

The most famous harpist is Toirdhealbhach Ó Cearbhalláin, often regarded as our national composer. He composed some of the most famous tunes in the Irish tradition as well as a great many tributes to Gaelic and Anglo noble families, which are some of the best examples of Gaelic aristocratic court music. His tunes are often used in official or religious settings in Ireland today, as well as in popular culture

Here's an example of a modern gut-string harp
youtube.com/watch?v=qe6byGXw9XU

and traditional metal string
youtube.com/watch?v=JAQD-ehto7I

Edgy adornments aside, your box zither is ultimately derived from the lyre which goes all the way back to Mesopotamia. Guitars, while also derived from the Lyre, evolved from a different line through the lute.

Good one, but not your's.

captcha: collins reeds

>he's out of history for the exception of "learning".

captcha: gratis exit

That's a nice mixture of African Drum and European Cymbols.

Celts I can accept as such. They were our soulmates after all. Actually, our Sons ;-)

That's a empty bagpipe, "borrowed" from your overlords.

Rune singing is kawaii

youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-2FoCqpr0

Who?

From Europeans in somewhere 1600's.

Nyckelharpa
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyckelharpa

Also "borrowed" from Finns. Horses tail hairs were added to bows and so on...

my national instrument is ur mum's vagina
LMAO !

don't think we have one

>it's not yours, rääää
>t. the finn

tonni setelit

No, US is a banjo.

Which is also a nice mixture of...

I would say this should be it

youtube.com/watch?v=tVKWiseNGUU

I know Jaques Brel is Belgian but still

Irish Banjo> US banjo

youtube.com/watch?v=wtEKUWRpUWg

Accordeon is from Eastern Europe originally.