Daily Japanese Thread - DJT #1952

This is a Japanese language learning thread designed by and for those interested in traditional otaku media such as anime, manga, light novels, Japanese video games, etc.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread

>for those interested in traditional otaku media such as anime, manga, light novels, Japanese video games, etc.
Look mom I posted it again!

I don't really care either way, feel free to write something and I'll include it if it's not totally retarded

"...designed by and for those studying the Japanese language."

"DJT, the new fragrance ... for weeaboo, by weeaboo..."

C O S M E T I C

俺に手伝う。
When I do Anki i get stuck with the same 20 words and as soon as I remember them enough to hit "good" I forget them again and I've wasted hours every day on the same words. What do I do?

Ask your family doctor.

Have you ever considered that Anki alone just doesn't work for you?

Try a supplemental technique, get a sketchbook. Whenever you have trouble remembering a kanji, Open to a fresh page and write it, then write all of its primals, then write it all put together, then write the meaning of it, then draw it, then write it again, then come up with a story involving the primals and the meaning and then write it again.

And then write it again, tell yourself the story about the primals, write it down again, write a stroke-order chart for it, shit like that.

Write it down.

I dont have trouble recognizing them, I easily know what they are but I completely forget how to say/read them. Would this help me remember how to pronounce them?

Sure, as long as you
Write it down!

Try it, really. Write each kanji and its furigana next to it, if you must, try naming each primal and come up with a story where each character comes together to make the full kanji.

Another useful memory method is "Method of Loci," which goes like this:

Say I want to remember the bones of the leg. I'll write a little story where I walk through my house and encounter each one as I go, the weirder I make the story the more likely I am to remember the bones.

I walk up to my house and there's a femur with a bow tied around it on the porch, I open my door and the Power Rangers are playing frisbee with a patella in my foyer. As I walk into the kitchen, I see Alton Brown cooking scrambled eggs with a tibia, talking to Guy Fieri whose gnawing on a fibula covered in buffalo sauce.

You can make little stories like this to "encounter" parts of kanji in a specific order or in certain interactions. The human brain is best at remembering stories more than anything else, once they're learned.

For pronunciation give them names and then make up a story about how they got them if you must.

Stories and writing shit down are the secret to memorizing things.

バンポ

should I be writing down all the words I go over in Anki? I just started the Core6k deck from the guide today, and normally I'd write down everything but it's a ton to write down the kanji, the kana so I can remember to pronounce the kanji, and then the English meaning.

Would I be able to remember everything or should I just write it down in some notebooks?

You're welcome to do what works for you and there's no reason to worry over kanji you have no trouble remembering but
and
recommend writing things down for a reason.
If you're having trouble remembering the distinction between several similar kanji phrases such as
見る、見つける、見える、見つかる
then writing them down may help.
It especially helps me with conjugation,
見る、見ない、見た、見なかった
But I'm very young in the language.
The above advice about memorization is cold truth though.

I did it for 10 months (only writing the vocab, not the kana or translation), filled a whole notebook, and I can tell you I didn't memorize shit, I can't write more than 50 kanji from memory nowadays.
It probably helped with retention around the time and my writing has gotten pretty balanced (doesn't look like I'm a 5yo learning to hold a pencil anymore), but that's about it.

If you want to train writing in an efficient way, do KKLC and make a production deck for kanji. Or wait for France-kun to give you more insight on how he does it with his vocab deck.

that sounds really nice and all, but it won't help you for shit

People use such methods in "memory competitions," like memorizing the order of hundreds of playing cards.
It works.

>Memorizing individual words

>hundreds
see, you're not remembering hundreds oj kanji but at least 2.500-3000 if you ever want to be somewhat fluent and then a shit ton of them have +2 or more possible readings, onyomi etc.
in order to read japanese you'll have to remember thousands of details

there will come a time where you can't even remember your own stories aynmore, because it's just too many of them, they start to look way too similar etc. etc., it all comes down to pure repetition

redpill me on "僕" vs "私" vs "俺" vs "内"

The point, deutchbro, is that a method of memorization for something as mundane as the order of playing cards ought to work to an astounding effect for anything genuinely relevant and applicable.

Memory is a combination of association, repetition and recall.
The more often you correctly recall an association, the more implanted the memory is. A story is a stronger memory than a single data point, which is why you can give the gist of an episode of a TV show having only seen it once, you may even remember characters' names for a show you don't particularly like.

well I'm not telling you to stop, but in a few years from now on you'll remember my post
anyway, it's late

おやすみ

僕=young male's "I", think "boku no hero" since the main character is a young teen
私=verbose and general
俺=manly "I", used by adults
内=collective "we" for company, or "our"

I see, thanks. So generally speaking for an adult male, is "私" or "俺" more preferrable?

In real life nowadays:
私 can be used by females in any situation. Men can use it in the workplace and it makes you sound older and more professional.

僕 is polite male. If you are male and using です ます this is your default pronoun. Men might tend to use this around women or in the workplace even if they are speaking casually. It is not seen as a kids pronoun. Adults use it all the time. Conversely, young boys almost almost always call themselves 俺 nowadays

俺 is what most men use when they are thinking to themselves. It is the casual no bullshit pronoun. If you are talking to your friends or family you use this. It is not seen as offensive, just unsophisticated if you use it in a situation that calls for politeness.

うち is usually written in kana, and it is used by women in some dialects.

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. If you are an adult male foreigner use 僕 as your default until you get better at Japanese

What was wrong with what I said?

僕 is not a kids pronoun. That's old information that was true many decades ago. I learned it too when I was starting out. You'll find many male doctors and professors calling themselves 僕

I used mnemonics extensively in the process of memorizing 17K words and 3.5K kanji and have no regrets. You can make up a retarded but functional mnemonic in a few seconds for either the reading or kanji components. Nothing wrong with forgetting the story afterward. The hard part is establishing the word in your memory, which the mnemonic accomplishes, keeping it there afterward is easy.

I did not know. Thank you for letting me know.
ソーリません

No problem. Sorry if I came across as harsh. It's the internet.

Japanese is not a hugbox language. Thank you for calling me out on my misinformation

For kanji did you do RTK, kklc, your own, or a separate program? Did you start kanji mnemonics early in your studies or did you wait a while? How long have you been studying for?

Don't like it, make a new guide and op which isn't entirely reflective of learning Japanese based around otaku media. Until then, stop complaining that a thread years in the making isn't suddenly completely changing to conform to your cancerous normalfag values. You are acting no different to a spiteful economic migrant annoyed that the locals aren't converting to sharia law.

I spent my first 3 months finishing RTK 1. I've been studying for about two and a half years. I'm not necessarily recommending following in my footsteps. You gotta find what works for you. But at least a cursory familiarity with the mnemonic methods used in something like RTK, even if you do not complete the book and just use it alongside vocab study, should help almost anyone.

cringe

Do you guys have a limit on the number of words you'll add to your mining deck per day? Since my vocabulary is really limited at the moment, it takes me like 20 minutes to get through 2 paragraphs and I can easily mine 15-30 words. But I want to read more.

I'm currently at 90 new words for today. Am I biting off more than I can chew? I don't want to end up burnt out on anki in 2 weeks.

>learning for 2 years
>forget how to introduce myself because I never have to do it

You either build up a back-log of mined words or stop mining after a certain point (do not stop reading). Doing all the new words you encounter every day is not a sustainable option for a beginner.

(I come from the /jp/ thread, but I like Sup Forums as a board better)

Honest opinions on Genki? I started it before I even knew about DJT guide so I decided to stick with it while reading Tae Kim as well. Honestly, it's not that different from Tae Kim aside from having less content and (so far) only teaching polite verb forms. It moves pretty quickly and throws a lot of new vocab at you which is good.

I think it gets a bad rap because classes take six months to cover half of it and it has a lot of tedious exercises. I'm still going to finish it ASAP and get to reading but so far it's been helpful.

--

Also any Anki decks aside from Core 2K you recommend for beginners?

Genki and Tae Kim are both great. I tend to tell people to stay away from Genki because TK is free, but if you can get Genki free or already have it, go for it.
As for decks, just mine your own. It'll be easier to remember words because the scenes in which you first saw them will pop into your head, as opposed to a bland context-less deck.

I did all my reps for core, DoJG and some TK today before noon

頑張りました!

>entirely reflective of learning Japanese based around otaku media.
Are we reading the same guide? You know, the one that is full of learning resources targeted at any learner, graded readers, tons of suggestions for books and movies that don't have anything to do with your precious otaku culture as well as manga and video games that are so mainstream you can't even put them under the same umbrella as what you're referencing, all situated on a board designed around international communication. I have nothing against using all sorts of interesting content to learn the language, but its pretty obvious that this is the proper place for discussion beyond the needs of hikkineets, like developing production/conversation skills and taking jlpt testing for employment and education.

僕は歌に聞いていました、 「今宵」と言葉が聞こえました。違いを探しましたが何も見つかました。

If you actually find the time to read through that, feel free to correct my mistakes and call me a dumb ass.
But honestly I couldn't find a difference between 今宵 and 今夜, except for the fact that 今宵 is antiquated and rarely used. Is there any nuanced difference or is trying to remember it pointless?

ある歌を聴いていると、「今宵」という単語をはじめて知りました。検索しましたが、何も情報が見つからないのです。「今夜」と「今宵」はどう違いますか?

ありがとうございます!沢山を習いました!

nico nice niiiiiiiiii

にこにこうるせーよ

Anyone can translate 2 last sentence from this text?
I really trying, but バサバサ and ぎったんぎったんのわっしわしのハゲハゲ...

黒いバサバサ - black feather

女の子に暴力ふるうなんて最低!