Probably the best day to watch this one fellows

Probably the best day to watch this one fellows

ITT: flicks no one likes

Thanks op I now remember this exists

high rise?

Honestly, one of the most one-sided films I have ever seen. I have yet to see a film with such strong direction and art style and have such a dismal story and writing.

>yfw you'll never live in a shitty high rise flat

Feels good man.

Terrible film

Am I the only one who really really liked it? I went in expecting dark comedy and the building to be a synecdoche for society. That's what I got. I mean, what else should have been there? And it's not preachy about, nor does it portray any single class as better or worse than the others. The butt of the joke is the main character who stands by and watches the events unfold, a perfect stand-in for the typically middle-class viewers.

The cinematography was great. Luke Evans was a nice surprise, I haven't really seen him in anything earlier.

So why the hate?

It's boring, it's predictable (cliché in every single way), it's not bold enough to make an impact and Hiddlestone is a horrible actor that can play only 1 character (Luke Evans saves the movie).

It's actually very preachyl:

>THIS IS OUR BUILDING, THE POOR MUST NOT HAVE ANYTHING

I couldn't finish it.

>cliché
That's a bold claim. Its an experimental film and to roll it up into merely a class struggle thing doesn't do it justice. Its fucking weird, practically a dream, I don't see how its cliche, or maybe you're right wing or american.

He's right. The movie literally ends with a Thatcher speech.

that's not all it is though is it

It's a political allegory dressed in faux surrealism with a non-charismatic lead.

nah

Fuck off you faggoty little loser.

Why are you dissing this film, you don't like its politics, which floor are you?

HIDDLESTON IS A SOLID MEH

THE NIGHT MANAGER WAS OK, HE WAS REALLY SHOEHORNED INTO KONG BUT SOMEHOW DIDN'T RUIN IT

HE'S PASSABLE IN EVERYTHING BUT REALLY NOT GREAT IN ANYTHING

I'm not right wing nor american, but Wheatley doesn't have the balls to do a real political allegory, the guy adapted Ballard and made it look like it was a Hunger Games adaptation. Only bold directors can adapt controversial writers and Wheatley is not the boldest one.

Everything that tries to be bold in the movie feels artificial (just look at the dance/sex scenes and they feel completely shit), then you got the class fight, which was predictable and you knew at the second Irons appeared that he'd die, not to mention that he had to villanize the upper class, making them blind to the poor people's problems like any other unilateral dystopian work. Idk if the book is bad (probably not), but Wheatley wasn't the guy for it.

Cosmopolis is what this movie wanted to be, but will not, and Cosmopolis is the best movie of this century,

COSMOPOLIS IS HUGELY UNDERRATED AND ROBERT PATTINSON IS THE MARLON BRANDO OF OUR GENERATION

WHEATLEY DID A FEW COOL THINGS WITH A FIELD IN ENGLAND BUT NOTHING PARTICULARLY MEANINGFUL

movie was shit. book was pretty good tho.

he's great in only lovers left alive. otherwise, i agree with you.

I can't tell if you're joking Cosmopolis sucked!

I'll concede HR was unhinged and a bit of a clusterfuck but that's what I liked about it. How often do you see a big budget film with hot actors take a hit of crack and say to hell with everything.

You'd expect people here at least to be on board with that. Are you this critical of cape shit.

I'm weary about when someone says things are predictable in a film. You don't know what's going to happen.

The novel was done in the seventies. Cliched? What's another film that's the same? What genre is it, what even really happened, I don't know and I don't think you do either.

If you don't like it 'cause of the politics well then your politics are wrong.

>dismal story and writing
blame the source material. flavor-of-the-month, it should have been a short story. kind of like cosmopolis. who could have possibly guessed that the most easily digestible postmodern literature is also the worst?

>what really happened?
lord of the flies in an apartment building. inb4 the deep high concept experimental writing blows your mind clean out of your body

pretty much this. plus they excised the incestual relationship the main character had with his sister which is pretty unforgivable

Snowpierce is basically the same movie and it came before, and most of these dystopian fictions have the same setting -trouble class relations that leads to tyranny- Divergent Series, Hunger Games as well. You see the movie you'll know what will happen, whose themes he'll tackle and how he'll resolve with them. It's cliché, and been done by a lot of others

>PEOPLE'S RAGE WILL DESTROY YOU

I don't have a problem with a movie that depicts a tyrant or class friction, and that's why I said Cosmopolis is the thing to look at because it tackles all the themes, adds more themes, has depth, provides reflection, adds new themes to the discussion, isn't unilateral, it's complex and has both terrific visual and literal metaphors that enrich the movie making it the best of the century and therefore the dream of what this shitty movie wants to be.

>Reminder that if you don't like Cosmopolis you're a massive pleb.

>if you don't like cosmopolis you're a massive pleb
mind elaborating on some of those deep + nuanced themes and reflection for us uneducated rubes? as far as I'm concerned that movie can be encapsulated in a paragraph. and I actually LIKE some of delillo's books

wheatley's one failure

>How often do you see a big budget film with hot actors take a hit of crack and say to hell with everything.
pretty much all the time

They should have made it clearer why the tenants stayed in the building instead of leaving.

Derivative teeny fiction for millenials that has been made into films earlier than High Rise's adaptation, the novel written in 1975. And you say it's cliched just cause you experienced the stories in that order. Fucking millenials, jesus

I get it now, you're too young for High Rise to resonate. BTW just incredible arrogance displayed on your part, delusional level, but you'll learn.