This is the first sitcom since I Love Lucy where the dad is the straight man instead of a buffoon

This is the first sitcom since I Love Lucy where the dad is the straight man instead of a buffoon

Apparently you never saw King of the Hill.

Bob isn't exempt from buffoonery. He gets flandarized really early after the first season; he still has some extreme character traits that show up during the first season.

The whole family exchanges the straight man position, except maybe Gene and Tina.

Wow OP already btfo

Al in Married with Children was a buffoon, but the rest of his family were even bigger buffoons, so in a way he was the straight man.

King of the Hill.

Turned to shit after the first season.

Frasier's dad was definitely the straight man.

even tina will straight-man for linda and bob's more absurd outbreaks

Hank was a retard

That 70's Show.

hank is pure you filthy degenerate

The first 1-3 seasons tried to play off Hank and Peggy as equally silly characters. Bob's Burgers is sort of doing the opposite. Bob was clearly the straight man early on but now does more antics.

Carl Winslow wasn't a buffoon.
Uncle Phil?

>The first 1-3 seasons tried to play off Hank and Peggy as equally silly characters
Did we watch the same show? Hank was always your typical suburban Texan.

Yeah.

Hank was so down to earth it was practically a character flaw.

Hank Hill is the moral North star.

Fucking what? He's a buffoon in every single episode. He's homer simpson tier at best. Am I being trolled right now?

Al Bundy

Not really. He is naive but he is also the character that all the others come off as weird or immoral against.

Dan Connor was no buffoon. He was a standup guy. Also Growing Pains, Family Ties, and Diff'rent Strokes featured competent fathers. I'm sure I can think of 20 more.

Get off the cross, we need the wood.

Cosby Show? Full House? Get off your soapbox

Lets think outside the box for a second. Bob is slightly distracted. Not overly involved in his families lives. A bit of a loner and works in a job that gets him little or no public attention. I deduce that Bob is in reality the Long Island Serial Killer.

Wait til Your Father Gets Home
King of the Hill