Blomkamp

Neil Blomkamp's new short film Rakka starring Sigourney Weaver, for his ongoing project Oats Studios.

youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs

Other urls found in this thread:

takimag.com/article/elysium_neill_blomkamp_fools_the_critics_again_steve_sailer/print#axzz4k2ARBeHX
theverge.com/2017/6/14/15802150/neill-blomkamp-experimental-sci-fi-film-rakka-watch-interview
youtu.be/eO63Ih0UAWE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

All his movies are the same.

First poster speaks the truth.

Pretty neat shit, I liked it.

All of his movies have neat looking ideas and visuals (specially weapons,gadgets and vehicles) butas movies they tend to be mediocre at best, I saw elysium a week ago and it was terrible, the guy should be a concept artist or an art director, not a fucking filmaker

Looks much more interesting than marvel schlock at least

Eylsium was actually decent. You cant get past the socio-political commentary cant you?

The voice over was annoying. Great visuals, great monsters, great setting.

>RICH BAD, POOR GOOD
>A gang of drug dealers and human traffickers are portrayed as the good guys
>character development was unexisting
>the villain was basically a cartoon character

Only liberal edgelords think this is good social commentary,fuckin IN TIME did a better job at this. You must love the hunger games

It's funny, because Blomkamp always inserts hidden social commentary that is the exact opposite of what people assume it is. District 9 wasn't about apartheid in South Africa, it was about how the modern South African government is shitting on immigrants like Zimbabweans and Nigerians.
Everyone always thinks that Elysium was him being preachy about how we need to share wealth and have open borders and all that nonsense. It was really a story about how we're going to hit an inevitable Malthusian catastrophe in the future unless we get our shit together now and tackle the bigger problems about overpopulation and environmental destruction. Otherwise we'll all be living in filthy ghettos and speaking Spanish.

Fuck, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a hidden commentary in this short. It's called "Rakka," it's got a ragtag bunch of fighters riding technicals attempting to take on a superpower, the invaders use mind control to make people compliant and turn on each other, and there's a hint that the humans are being aided by some sort of angel-like beings.
I mean, they even behead one of the aliens at the end.

I too was getting major, "are the hugh-mans's muslims?" in Rakka. It seemed like it was sympathizing at least somewhat with radicals. Or at least showing and understanding of them.

BLOMPKAMPF

The dude needs a good writer by his side. Dude can't have a good story for shit but man he can do great visuals

>X-Com: the show

I am ok with this.

takimag.com/article/elysium_neill_blomkamp_fools_the_critics_again_steve_sailer/print#axzz4k2ARBeHX

>first few minutes about what they did
Holy fuck this is literally just like when africans started flooding in the white areas in south africa
how the fuck does he keep getting away with this shit

That's nice, user.
Maybe Reddit would like that shit.

I thought it was being called Oaks Vol 1?

I thought the angel thing was in the dude's head?

theverge.com/2017/6/14/15802150/neill-blomkamp-experimental-sci-fi-film-rakka-watch-interview

they control the reptile ayy's but want to help us at the same time too? idk

It's called "nuance" retardo

If you need the movie's message to be spelled out to you with zero possibility for confusion then maybe it actually is over your head

Neil Blomkap has said that he's a big fan of Red Letter Media and wants to appear on one of their videos.

How do you feel about this?

Reminder

yes and?

Why is Blomkap so hamfisted about literally fucking everything he does?

I have several conflicting feelings. I feel like that's not true and you made that up. I also feel like even if you didn't it would never happen. But then there's this other feel I get, that if it were to happen, I wouldn't care anyways.

>hamfisted

in what way what this short hamfished?

so the series is called "Oats Studios"? are you shitting me?

youtu.be/eO63Ih0UAWE

desu I hope they meet him and do an interview and a best of the worst with him

Kino.

It's the name of his studio, retard

no m8 watch the PV again

>starring Sigourney Weaver

I thought that was her, couldn't tell

she looks damn good for how fucking old she is now

>it's real

WHAT

holy shit, how easily are Sup Forumsbeards offended by movies?

am I going crazy or is this an allegory for Operation Iraqi Freedom?

I do not understand this shit at all. They're making a miniseries and selling assets through steam to finance it? Is that it?

Various different short films that could potentially be adapted into feature films if the response is good.

How is he able to make the CGI shit look so fucking good with no budget while it looks fucking atrocious in marvels big movies like civil war?

sci fi elements are preddy gud but the action is pretty subpar

>stock gunshot sounds
>nonmoving actions on some guns
>guys with stormtrooper aim cant hit shit from 15 feet away cause they dont use sights

kind of strange seeing how district 9 and elysium, if nothing else, had pretty good action sequences

why does he want to talk about that flaming turd with everybody now?

yes he just likes to make special effects and not good movies.

>Blomkamp is a good directo--

they must have some sort of gun consultant for the movies

have they replied?

>le reptilian predator cloverfield

>think its dumb that the aliens would be naked

>realize that the weird moving goo that covers them is their "clothes"

whoa

>that gif

I remember someone saying once on here is that its because he is a top level visual effects guy and thats how he got into the industry in the first place, so he hand picks the best of the best people in that field because he knows what to look for. While giant studios dont really give a shit and have endless pockets, so they just throw money at the first animators that come along that are highly regarded.

sort of like how brad pitt and jonah hill recruited players in money ball.

I imagine the twist is that the "real" alien is the goo and all the experiments on the humans are testing their compatibility as potential hosts. The reptiles are innocent and under goo control.

Wonder why he picked steam

No it's an allegory to european colonization of Africa, specifically the Dutch in South Africa. Neil always takes shit from south african history

Its called Rakka. Rakka is a city in Syria that is right by Aleppo.

Also, the suicide bomber girl reminded me a lot of the American Sniper intro.

People are often asking why modern movies often have such bad graphics while older ones have terrible graphics, and the answer is simple

studio priorities.

Marvel/Disney does not value visual effects or musical score for that matter. It's why their settings and soundtracks are so bland, and why there's no effort done for unique visual angles, backgrounds, setting, etc.. This is because Marvel/Disney is very by-the-books and doesn't care about these things, they work the same formula that works.

Their budget instead goes to paying for ultra-A-List actors like RDJ, ScarJo, and Hemsworth.

Grade-A visual effect teams/individuals still exist, and will still produce great stuff if you're willing to pay and not use the Korean B-Team.

Raqqa is actually the capital of ISIS and isn't very near Aleppo. It's currently under siege by US-backed Kurds tho.

fuck. Thought this was just going to be retards projecting their world view onto Blomkampf, but from those interviews, it seems like they are somewhat right.

i liked this but thought it ended kindof abruptley

I feel like Blomkamp is what would happen if Kojima actually went ahead and made films. They'd probably be received about the same by critics.

As for this, I absolutely love what I saw. I'm very very excited for what other crazy shit his new studio has planned.

So is that the end of this story? And all the other short films will be different stories? Or are they all going to be connected?

Kojima would be Tarantino, just referencing shit after referencing shit

Elysium just lacked any interesting characters, I read that he originally wanted Emenim for the lead role which would have been something different and interesting than Matt Damon

>you will never get to help Neil make kino at his new small studio
It's not faaaaaair. I wanna make weird shit and be somewhat successful without having to know a guy who knows a guy who knows etc. Fuck this shit.

I think they've confirmed another short movie is planned in this series. He's probably trying to see how well it's received before committing to more. On Steam, they say that "our goal is to create Volumes 2, 3 and more and eventually, full scale-scale features."

>cool alieums
>underdog protag, quasi-human main character
>empirical/supremacy bad guys
>junkyard scifi
>explosion and violence
His films are all the same but they're good

That was impressive. I really
Like how cruel these things are and on such a massive scale, very creepy.
Blompkompomp is pretty
Good with body horror so I'm excited to see more.

They should have let him direct Alien 5. Fuck you Ridley.

>Unique creature design

My Achilles heel.

That's why he will probably do ok with short experimental films. I didn't mind Elysium but really didn't like chappie.

absolute pleb, never post here again.

>Reptilian overlords
>Unique

Not really my dude.

too much fucking exposition, it was just fucking terrible how apparently they had to tell us everything and leave nothing to the imagination

I'm excited because from what I hear the other shorts are more of an opportunity to branch out from his usual stuff. I'm excited to see how he handles horror without sci fi.

That was pretty good, but how the hell does a fucking steam short film look this fucking good?

see here & here

It's real.

Not when the socio-political commentary is overbearing and cringy to the point of killing the characters and plot.

>Lacked interesting characters
>Krueger

It's nice. I hope there will be more.

>Tetsuo-style psychic nigga
Kanye be jelly.