I've never read a comic book besides manga if that counts. What are some must read comic books that I can buy?

I've never read a comic book besides manga if that counts. What are some must read comic books that I can buy?

Watchmen.

Transmetropolitan
Asterios polyps

American Flagg!
Doom Patrol
Megg Mogg and Owl
Astro City
Copra
Hitman
Sandman Mystery Theatre
Miller/Janson Daredevil

>buying comics

Just pirate

watchmen is a must read the rest depends on what your into

Bone

Watchmen is something you have to read and have on your shelf regardless of how you feel about it.
As a fan of manga you should get Ronin, and Frank Miller's Daredevil stuff.
Saga, it's great,

Action Comics #775 is the greatest. You need to read it to understand why western comics will always be better than eastern comics. Japan just doesn't have a Superman.

Also I liked Kingdom Come, Knightfall, For the Man who Has Everything, Dark Knight Returns, Red Son, a bunch of Superman/Batman stuff.

Daredevil: Born Again and Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank are two of my absolute favorites.

>OP never comes back

not op but I just read it out of curiousity. Man that was fucking good. I've only mostly read new 52 superman the old version is so much better. The fact that superman has nobody to confide in from earth really fucks up the character, leaves him without guidance, lost and without hope..

How can he be a beacon of hope if he's hopeless.

It is my absolute favorite comic. I haven't read much New52, but I may get into it at some point. "What's do Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" was written when comics were getting edgier and people actually believed that maybe killing people is the better option. It's beautiful how they were able to write this as a response to that sentiment, showing that even in the darkest times there's still room to hope. I do truly believe that things can get better and that there is good in everyone. Also, it was adapted into a movie "Superman vs. The Elite." It's pretty good, has great voice acting, and the fight scene at the end was good too. It's a little bit different from the comic though, and I preferred the comic version more.

I would never call anything a must. Also there are wast differences between different genres, universes, continuities and the group the content is aimed at.

Some titles I recommend just from the top of my head:
Planetary
Chew
Sandman
Saga
Hellboy
Archer & Armstrong

Also you can start with certain writers:
Warren Ellis
Rick Remender
Ed Brubaker
Neil Gaiman
Grant Morrison
Alan Moore
Frank Miller
Garth Ennis
Peter David

Little Nemo in Slumberland
The Adventure of Tintin
The Spirit
Spirou et Fantasio
The Peanuts
Kirby and Lee's Fantastic Four
Ditko and Lee's Spider-Man
Claremont's X-Men
The Sandman
Calvin and Hobbes
Hellboy

Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers

I Kill Giants

Mostly a Marvelfag but the first two books that come to mind when you talk about "must reads" are Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween.

None big 2 capes Comic'. God killer Tank Girl classic or 2 girls 1 tank. Tomboy. Jonny the homicidel manic. The Goon. FireFly serenity. Young terrorist

>almost nobody said Hellboy

Please guys, its the best world building ever done on comics and pretty much agreed to be the best shared universe.

Transmetropolitan
Squadron Supreme (Gruenwald)

>Watchmen is something you have to read and have on your shelf regardless of how you feel about it.
You know, thirty years later, I don't think Watchem can be truly appreciated without knowing how superhero comics looked at the time against how they look now.
Then again, if someone never read comics in the first place, the way they see superhero comics is probably based on how they looked like forty years ago, so I guess it works out.

ah fuck i fucked up that quote
>if someone never read comics in the first place, the way they see superhero comics is probably based on how they looked like forty years ago
thats an interesting thought in a way we have gone from watchmen being something you should read once you have more storys under your belt to something to read when your new

The most important thing to ask, OP (if you're even still here) is: what kinda stories do you like? Superheroes may be the biggest thing in western comics, but there are still other genres available, and even Marvel and DC have been branching out a little with their series.

>Neil Gaiman
>Grant Morrison
>Alan Moore
>Frank Miller
>Garth Ennis
It always feels good when you read theses guys names together.

Spider-man by JMS is collected in 5 beautiful volumes. Everything during Romita Jr. era is a must, everything after is bumpy ride that has some of the shittiest (Sins Past), but also some of the best Spider-man stories (Back in Black).

Daredevil by Bendis and Brubaker are also collected in Daredevil Ultimate Collections, but those are kids toys, what you are looking for is recent Daredevil Omnibus by Frank Miller, Daredevil: Man Without Fear and Daredevil: Born Again. Daredevil Yellow is very good as well.

Animal Man by Morrison and/or Lemire. Both are different, both are amazing, Animal Man was easily one of the biggest surprises from New 52.

I believe is Flash by Mark Waid is about to get collected. Some of the greatest Flash stories and best Flash at that.