What did he mean by this?

What did he mean by this?

The fully satisfying, positive, emotional conclusion is one of the main hallmarks of Morrison's comics. Why was the ending to his longest run and definitive statement on one of his favorite characters so sudden, negative and unfulfilling? Was it really a fuck you to the spirit of the reboot? Or was it just cobbling together the best ending he could from the pieces of the reboot? Is there some other world where the reboot never happened and the Bat Epic had a completely different ending?

>Is there some other world where the reboot never happened and the Bat Epic had a completely different ending?

Well he was going to keep Dick and Damian together for much longer, apparently had years of stories left for them

>Was it really a fuck you to the spirit of the reboot?
Yes. That and a another statement in mainstream comics how mainstream comics never allow meaningful change

Can someone here please explain Kathy Kane to me?

Kathy Kane AKA Kathy Kane-Webb aka Katherine Netz AKA Luka Netz?

Raised by Otto Netz to be one half of the Ouroboros, but somehow forgot that she was his daughter and became an agent of Spyral and having a relationship with El Gaucho. She marries into the Kane family. At some point she gets assigned to Batman, becomes Batwoman, and falls in love with him. Then she finds out again that she's the daughter of Otto Netz and breaks up with Batman. Also, she 'dies'. And has Bat-Girl as a sidekick at some point. But then she goes back to Spyral and does her own thing till she shows up to save Batman from Leviathan. But then in Grayson she has a twin sister who's actually running Spyral and she's somehow running Leviathan instead. Then she dies, for real this time, in an anticlimactic fashion.

The fuck?

Morrison really let metaphor get in the way of dramatic catharsis, huh?

It's not the first time. He gets moody and decides to work though it by ruining his story

Killing Damian probably soured Grant's mood, even if he said that was always the plan. It is difficult to have a triumphant finale when the hero's son dies.

He was completely untouched by the reboot, had nearly unlimited freedom from editorial or the higher ups, and got an Action Comics run out of it. It was Grant being pissy as hell for no real reason.

Actually a lot of his recent works have a very spiteful undercurrent, especially towards the readers.

>especially towards the readers.
They deserve it

> Comics is a medium populated and consumed by morons
> It's like pigs at a trough. Give 'em exactly what they're familiar with and they slurp it up every time
Grant Morrison

Luka Netz is not Kathy Kane. Or well, she's supposed to be, but Grayson had it's legs cut off before it could finish its run. Grayson was meant to last up to ~50 issues. As it had to end early, they had to make her backstory easier to understand.

Luka Netz is both Kathy Kane and isn't, because everything about her is meant to be Kathy, but we never got an explanation or reconciliation to actually let the two characters be the same person.

It's really hard to take Grant's opinions seriously when he's been running the same themes for 30 years.

>But then in Grayson she has a twin sister who's actually running Spyral and she's somehow running Leviathan instead. Then she dies, for real this time, in an anticlimactic fashion.

Grayson ruined Kathy Kane. I knew since the first day that the book was announced that they'd fuck up the Spyral concept. Look, i love the book, but Spyral was shit in it. Dick as a spy was neat, the new characters were awesome, but what Morrison had done was fucked. Completely fucked.

There's a difference between a single person hitting the same themes with his work and an industry that pumps out the same shit decade after decade

>they had to make her backstory easier to understand.

They could have used what was already there. No need to muddle things.

The whole point of the run was that Batman would always fight on no matter dark or painful things got.

It was sudden, negative, and unfulfilling because Bruce's life on a personal level is sudden, negative, and unfulfilling. It's been his parent's getting shot in an alley echoing through his entire life, just like the Apocalypse Hunter Killer thingy echoed throughout time and space.

Personally I liked how it ended. One of the themes was that Bruce can't fight on his own, so it makes sense that Kathy would come out of nowhere and be all "you didn't think you were fighting Talia alone, did you?"

Except we've long past reached the point of anything new coming out of Grant. He's not doing alternate interpretations or critiquing it, he's just repeating himself. Combine that with his limiting notion of superheroes as a mythology combined with a Manichaeistic moralistic duality and his superhero works have become almost cookie-cutter at this point.

I like Grant Morrison, I really do. Seven Soldiers is no contest my favorite superhero story. But it seems to me like for the last decade or so he's been content to coast by; Final Crisis was a poorly paced rehash consisting of two stories crudely mashed together, Batman was full of one-note villains, Action Comics was Silver Age wank combined with him bitching about his editors who let him do whatever he wanted, Multiversity was uneven as hell, and WW: Earth One was style over substance. At this point if you've read Animal Man and DC One Million you've pretty much read everything Grant's putting out now.

no mention of Flex renders this post invalid

I haven't gotten around to reading Flex and it predates what I'm talking about.

morrison sucks

To be honest, even what Morrison did with Spyral didn't make much sense. When first introduced, it was an evil death-cult with links to Leviathan training the daughters of major criminals to become sexy assassins in skull masks, but by the end of it they were the good guys helping Batman take down Talia al Ghul.

Grayson was completely different (Same thing that happened with Batwing) but Morrison wasn't even consistent himself.

no u

Yeah. I a strange way, the thing that Batman Inc. bemoans happened to Grayson, as well. Rushing toward a conclusion because everything has to become Status Quo again.

Are you fucking stupid? Nu52 exploded around him shortly before.

> But it seems to me like for the last decade or so he's been content to coast by

Wow this is literally the last way I would describe Morrison's last decade of output.

>his superhero works have become almost cookie-cutter at this point.
Which would be absolutely perfect for Captain Marvel...

I thought Levithan was infiltrated by Spyral?

Wasn't Leviathan infiltrated by Spyral infiltrated by The Black Glove infiltrated by Darkseid's time traveling hyper-bat?

No see Levithan was created by Spyral but was later taken over by Talia and then infiltrated by Spyral.

Silver Age girlfriend kills Bronze/modern age girlfriend.

BRAVO MORRISON

Fuck off back to your nu52 hugbox

>this stupid nigga critiqued Multiversity

Worst post 2016

Agreed. He has done a lot of good books but I fucking get it: comics are real and meta and everything is connected and we are part of the story and repeat.