Annihilation (2018)

Who else is hyped for Alex Garland's adaptation of Annihilation? Finished the trilogy recently and it should be kino

I think Mrs. Hershlog will do great in the role of the biologist

"Where lies the strangling fruit that came from the hand of the sinner I shall bring forth the seeds of the dead to share with the worms that gather in the darkness and surround the world with the power of their lives..."

what it about?

just read the plot summary for all three books and this shit sounds pretentious and gaaay
obvious pandering for shekels too

but what the fuck is it about you fucking smuck

Didn't know that this was a cringe thread.

"A biologist's (Natalie Portman) husband disappears. She thus puts her name forward for an expedition into an environmental disaster zone, but does not quite find what she's expecting. The expedition team is made up of the biologist, an anthropologist, a psychologist (Jennifer Jason Leigh), and a surveyor."

The area they are investigating has a ton of weird shit going on it, the trees seem to have a glow and are dreamlike at times, there are mutated animals that aren't natural, every expedition before them has committed suicide or killed each other until her husband returned from one, and you can only enter the zone from a door that had mysteriously formed (in the book at least).

Sounds reddit.

How is this not Roadside Picnic?

some gay convoluted shit
overly complicated story that goes nowhere
a real page turning suspense mystery that never gives any real satisfying answers
in a nutshell

The trilogy gives real answers.

its similar, but its revealed the government agency investigating it is doing shady shit to the expedition teams. And the other books explain more about why the area is there

Was it written in the spirit of Damon Lindelof?

wtf is the light then?
and why was the area x making clones
give us the answers user

If I remember right, the light was some entity that's planet was destroyed, somehow came to earth, and then was trapped inside the glass light that ended up in the lighthouse in that area. Henry from that research team cracked a hole in the light and the entity escaped, got inside the Lighthouse keeper, made a clone of him to keep running the lighthouse, and then turned him into the crawler. Can't give an exact reason as to why it made more clones other than just the light house keeper but I think they mention a theory that it's just trying to communicate but it's too alien to even establish communication, and what it's doing is just it's natural behavior.

Oh boy another shitty YA novel adaptation

how is any of that satisfying and warrants three whole books?
i kind of find the classic horror story themes of ghost in a lighthouse and mysterious monsters innawoods
but the latter is a full blown trope and kind of played out
but i like the ghost in the lighthouse shit, classic shit
sounds meh but ill probably watch it online

there is a lot more going on with the agency investigating the area because in book 2 it's from the perspective of an agent who is going down there to "fix" the situation after the former boss ( the psychiatrist from the first book was actually the director of the Southern Reach operation)is gone. It shows more of how the area works and gives more info on when it happened and how many expedition teams really went in.

In the third you get to know more about what the place was like before it was converted. And how the psychiatrist grew up around the lighthouse and knew the lighthouse keeper.

And the agent who is sent in, John, his mother has connections to the area and she shows up in the third book meeting the lighthouse keeper, so it's all interwoven throughout

and so what? whats the story here, whats the point to any of this shit?

its a story.. I don't really get what you are asking

none of this seems rewarding to the reader
and what i meant by convoluted

to each their own I guess. It was satisfying for me to just learn about what happened and follow the characters through their journey even without a solid ending.