Play it again Sam

>Play it again Sam
>Here's looking at you kid

Modern movies will never have memorable lines because modern movies are post modern garbage and leading men are twinks without gravitas or presence.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bAlzmRjixr0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Movie quotes thread?
>A toast! To my big brother George, the richest man in town
Fantastic movie, made me cry it was so touching that he thought he was worthless but really everyone loved him.

>wanting meme-liners in your movies

gbt reddit

>everything good is a meme

postmodern garbage faggot detected

>meme
>reddit
try harder

>Where did you train? On a farm?!

Dude, I love Bogie, but I don't think he ever said "Play it again Sam" in the movie. He said "Play it, Sam". And the audiences memed it into "Play it again Sam".
But yeah, Bogie was major boss. Too bad he couldn't get his alcoholism under control and we lost him too young. I would have fucking loved to see him star opposite Brando in a movie or two.

>one-liners are good
'Sup, reddit

>try harder
'Sup, reddit

>hes never met any man in his life who has said anything memorable to him

sad. raised by single mother and post modern television sad. kill self. do it for your own good.

>I never should have switched from Scotch to martinis. *dies*

Go say these lines to someone under the age of 30 and see how memorable they are.

If a modern movie came out and they started talking entirely in quips like they did in the 50s everyone here would call it the worst thing ever but because you want to be pretentious you make it out like it's the greatest thing you've ever seen.

>There's a speed limit in this state, Forty-five miles an hour.
>How fast was I going, officer?
>I'd say about ninety.
>Suppose you get down off your
motorcycle and give me a ticket.
>Suppose I let you off with a warning
this time.
>Suppose it doesn't take.
>Suppose I have to whack you over the
knuckles.
>Suppose I bust out crying and put my
head on your shoulder.
>Suppose you try putting it on my
husband's shoulder.
>That tears it.

This would be universally mocked today and it's considered one of the great dialogues of cinema

It's not about being a twink, we just think "natural writing" is inherently smarter than powerful writing.

Classic movies are a meme.

The truth is that movies have been steadily improving and are at their best right now.

Only problem are retardes plebs that never see foreignkinofilms and think only mainstream american theatrical releases are "real" movies.

There have certainly been a lot of great auteurs that have died or retired but cinematic language and technique has improves over time.

Hitchcock is fucking stale without many good angles, shit sound design, hokey acting, and minimal/bad music.

literally lol

Agreed. I watch this movie every year. Frank Capra made a lot of great movies in a short period of time.

>implying

I feel sorry for you. It's too bad you have uncurable shit taste.

wrong

wrong

wrong

huh?

wrong

>Play it again Sam

Thats not a real quote, have you ever even seen the movie?
youtube.com/watch?v=bAlzmRjixr0

He never said "Play it Again, Sam." That misquote comes from the Woody Allen movie. Ilsa says "Sam, Play it again. For me."

People only mock quips in modern movies because they always place the quips right in the middle of the dramatic scene thus ruining it.

he died of lung cancer... he was a chain smoker.... drink never helps but it was the smokes that got him

So many good quotes in Casablanca
I know this sounds really faggy but I almost cried when Rick sent Ingrid off to America

Nah, he's right (except the films don't have to be foreign, there's good American stuff too). There are plenty of good movies that have come out in the last decade.
I feel sad for the idiots stuck in the past with their head underground insisting that only older movies are good and everything today is shit. That "they don't make 'em like they used to" crap instantly outs you as lazy and uninformed.

>movies have been steadily improving and are at their best right now
>reddit unironically believes this

you are wrong and its ok because you're just unable yet to acknowledge humanity has spent its creative capacity and are now producing nothing of any value... we can just rehash and steal from the past and do that without any genuine coupling with that source.. modern films are uniformly horrendous trash created only to draw viewers to get their fix.. its just a stimulus trigger now .. if films somehow suddenly vanished from among us you wouldn't miss anything.

They have them. They're just called "quips" now.

>leading men are twinks without gravitas or presence.
. . . . . . . . Think again.

actually, ilsa said "play it, sam". all bogart said was "play it"

He just seems so autistic in everything he's in.

Exactly, don't fuck with weaponized autism

This is only true if you watch nothing but reboots and comic products.
If you honestly believe that humanity has "spent it's creative capacity" like there was just some magic artistic well that Kubrick was the last person to drink from, you're completely wrong AND too lazy to search for great recent movies. Pretty pathetic tbqh.

I thought it was really weird how often he said "Here's looking at you kid." What does that even mean as a catch phrase, what does his gf get out of hearing that 10 times a day?

How can a man be so feminine yet so masculine at the same time
The fuck

i dont think you know what gravitas or presence means

hes just a soft spoken college kid

>actors of the 30s-80s
>lots of unique people who happened to fall into acting and were naturally charming/powerful etc

>actors of the 90s
>lots of identical blocks of wood who grew up dreaming of being a high paid actor and/or nepotism got them the job

The death of film started with the end of the unique actor who fell into the job.

Thanks for the corrections... my Bogie knowledge was sub-par.

A fedora isn't a requirement for "gravita" or "presence" you fucking wank

I was more taking issue with his statement that all old films are garbage and that Hitchcock was terrible. His criticisms of Hitchcock are some of the best things about those movies, and are what have been copied in an innumerable number of films that came later. Sure there have been good movies in the past decade, but I do think the films that make money nowadays are largely crap, and this was not always the case.

it used to be a somewhat common toast. basically he's celebrating how pretty she is

thats a real good point. a lot of them were ex military, seen the real world. today theyre just rich kids who were able to throw caution to the wind and "study acting".

good call faggot

its what you feel when youre around someone who makes the room look and listen

if that fucking guy walked into a college he'd be invisible, he's just some guy

if he started speaking you wouldn't be captivated, he talks like any other guy

blow it out your ass faggot

Up yours shitter

>implying orange slices isn't a memorable line

>leading men are twinks
if only

Speaking like a news man in every role is not acting.

Is Casablanca actually a good movie?

yeah its interesting

Yes, it's good.

I like Rick as a character a lot even though I'm not crazy about the film itself

not much its pretty ok. Winter Soldier is better

Great movie. One of my favorites actually.

Fuck, you me thinking.
I love old soviet comedies (post-Soviet shitter here), and some of the best actors started casting in films just by accident. Even best Russian comedian actors from that time were war veterans, heroes with medals even.

> you got me thinking

>you're a big guy

>pretends to like Bogart movies
>has never seen Treasure of the Sierra Madre

That was his favorite role, because he loved acting like a complete cunt

African Queen is also great

I don't think I've ever seen a movie that better explained Protestantism

OP don't need no stinkin' badges user