What's the best war movie ever made and why is it Platoon?

What's the best war movie ever made and why is it Platoon?

Platoon isn't really great, remember, with war movies it's competing with fucking Apocalypse now, which despite the terrible ending, still remain purest kino.

This is the best/most iconic war movie ever.

Apocalypse Now is barely a war movie. At least Platoon was well made and written and directed by an actual Vietnam veteran.

Platoon is better than Apocalypse Now.

There, I said it.

Platoon is a better war film than AN, not a better film mind u

Das Boot

First person that says Saving Private Ryan is definitionally a redditor

Apocalypse Now
This guy is a brainlet hack

I liked Platoon more than Apocalypse now, desu

AN had better cinematography and atmosphere, sure, but as an actual vietnam movie, Platoon is better

>Das Boot

Yeah actually you might be right there, Platoon is an extremely close second though.

>ALAAAAAAAAAAARM

Apocalypse Now isn't a war movie you utter pleb

that is true if you have never seen deer hunter

It's not very good bro.

The Deer Hunter is even less of a war movie than AN.

It's alright.

good film.

interesting that the same actor played jack in suburbia, who mentions his father "bit it in Nam" then plays a soldier in Nam, fucking poetry.

>german tanks were just american tanks painted biege
>tanks weren't even from the era of the war

iconic but dogshit

i think you mean to say you enjoyed platoon more because it had more action and conventional war drama. apocalypse now is the better film technically and artistically

>AN isn't very good
Just off yourself user

Falls under the same category of being a really good movie, but not really a war movie.

It's source material is way better, the movie just shits all over it.

>Deer Hunter
>good and not complete wankery
user, pls

how so?

How so?

Charge of the Light Brigade (1968)

It's not about war and the only battle scene occurs in the first 30 minutes

Zulu or All quiet on the western front

this thread is full of plebs. apocalypse now is the greatest war movie ever made. close second would be lawrence of arabia.

It's very much about war, more so in it's reflections on humanity, and there are several iconic battle scenes. Not saying it's the best, there are several that are comparable which is a good thing.

Apocalypse Now is one of the greatest films ever made, but there is a case to be made for saying it isn't necessarily about war.

>everyone's a pleb except me
lel, i remember being 15 too

>hurr durr it's summer so everyone is younger than me
fuck off asshole

Sorry but unless you're able to level some criticism against it as a singular film, no one's going to take you seriously.

the moral of a movie makes the plot. the setting makes the genre. apocalypse now is a war movie.

>implying
not my fault you have shit taste

it's a war setting you fucking idiots. or when you describe it you say it's about friends in a boat trying to find a guy during a weekend in vietnam in the 60s?

My criticism against it is it's trying to be a war movie and failing at it. Platoon is an actual war film made by a Vietnam combat veteran.

That's why it's better, and that's why it's a better war film.

Heart of Darkness is a great commentary on colonialism and the nature of savagery vs. civilization. Apocalypse Now is just "lol war makes people cuhrayzeee".

>the setting makes the genre.
So every film set in LA is a noire?

Aliens

>the setting makes the genre

Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

>the setting makes the genre

I gotta add Hacksaw Ridge among others

/thread

I bet you think the thin red line is a good movie

why are you specifying the year?

Apocalypse Now is a great commentary on the absurdity of the Vietnam war and the effect of trauma on the human psyche. Heart of Darkness is just "hurr durr colonialism sux".

See? I can be a purposefully obtuse twat too. Come up with some actual criticism, please.

No Windtalkers, what a shitty list.

>the moral of a movie makes the plot
Movies aren't fables user

To not confuse with the 1936 Errol Flynn movie.

thanks for spoiling the ending faggot

Except if you had read Heart of Darkness you'd know you're totally wrong ;-)

There are three films with that title.

That's not Das Boot

>spoiling a movie that is 13 years away from being 100 years old
I never seen it either but that's my own fault. Fuck off idiot.

Still waiting on a legitimate argument here

There can only be one war kino

My bad, I'll put it in a spoiler tag next time.

Not him but he did give a legitimate argument. You just did the equivalent of

>muh *insert word here*

Does war before the 20th century count? If so, Waterloo is probably my pick.

Is there any more not-war kino?

>Not him but he did give a legitimate argument.
Where?

I'm not getting after you, I'm just saying it's pretty hilarious to complain about spoiling ancient movies.

Platoon or Hurt Locker

>fucking two WW1 movies and everything else is WW2 or later shit
war existed prior to 1914 you fucking faggots
It was hell then too

but then why are you also specifying the year?

I haven't seen it, but I'll check it out. The Waterloo world in Psychonauts was obnoxious.

He's not supposed to do after the war, he's supposed to die on a regular day of the war where nothing eventful happened so that the only thing dispatches writes is "all quiet on the western front" - in other words, the death of one soldier, even the protagonist, is of no consequence in modern war.

Rewriting the ending of the novel so that he dies after the war is over completely misses the fucking point.

>where
In his posts.

>it's trying to be a war film
It clearly isn't though.

THAT'S NOT A WAR MOVIE CUZ THERE'S NO WAR HURR DURR

>terrible ending
did we watch the same film

I see what you mean. I just can't stand disappointing people.

If it's not trying to be a war movie then I guess it's not a war movie.

Which ones?

TV
>Generation Kill

Film
Apocalypse Now (Redux)

The 1968 one was the one I consider a great war movie. I don't consider the other(s) great, and I don't want to give the impression I think they're great, so I had to specify in some way. Giving the release date is a common way to differentiate.

That's brutal! I never read the novel, but I might look into it now. What an realistic and savage message.

Despite occasionally cringey dialog "We Were Soldiers" gets a vote from me.

Others I appreciate are:

Full Metal Jacket
Enemy At the Gates
Blackhawk Down
84C Mopic (haven't seen it in a loooong time though)

Yeah, I agree.

The ones that were directed towards you. At this point your covering your eyes and ears and humming really loud saying I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

84C Mopic was pretty trash.

That film isnt about the vietnam war it is the vietnam war

*inhales blunt*
woah, deep man

probably would agree if I rewatched it now

This is an interesting film, caught it by chance on the telly a couple of months back. Anymore in that vien?

It's a good laugh I'll give it that. Remember that one guy who did nothing but make jokes about how short he was?

>I'm so short I can parachute off a dime, woo-hoo!

>The ones that were directed towards you.
I already addressed them as non-arguments and invalid criticism. The other user has yet to actually critique Apocalypse Now as a film in any substantial way.

Francis at Cannes was among the best Cannes moments of all time. Not mentioned:

>Bridge on the River Kwai

> With this crew we will be done before spring ends

Some of the language from heart of darkness sticks out awkwardly from the rest of the film in the openning.

>I already addressed them as non-arguments and invalid criticism
Yeah, but you're wrong though.

That was the only way I could get my lefty friend to watch it when it was on TV years ago

He's one of those people who thinks any film that has a soldier as the main character must be jingoistic crap

Over rated imo

Didn't like the pacing at all

That isn't any legitimate criticism, give me evidence and reason I can actually follow up on

The closest I can think of would be the middle of Barry Lyndon, war movies set in the 18th/19th century tend to not involve dark humor.

Not an argument

>remember, with war movies it's competing with fucking Apocalypse now
This is how you always spot a film student Redditor.
They will always be the first to drop that 4/10 tryhard trash Memecalypse Now

>It's so fucking deep mang, the horror. The horror! It's like a metaphor man, the whole movie. So they are like on that boat in the jungle, but actually it's hell WOAH YEAH THAT'S RIGHT! Our film school prof listed us like 25 different interpretations. God, Coppollo is such a genieus! One of them goes like it's about Odysseus and Odysseus means "trouble" in Greek btw. So they are going down on the river Styx, which is a deity and a river that forms the boundary between Earth and the Underworld (the domain often called Hades, which also is the name of its ruler. Mang, so fucknig DEEEEP!

Where Eagles Dare is a classic. It's like "Return to Castle Wolfenstein: The Movie" XD

See? You keep saying it's not legitimate criticism but you're also not substantiating why it isn't.

And you just did it again.

So... It's Life of Pi but less good?

It's juvenile to say the least, still very enjoyable though