What are the best western films to come out this century?

what are the best western films to come out this century?

3:10 was a lot better than I thought it would be, and definitely ranks up there with the best.

I liked the new True Grit

I can barley think of any. Hell or Highwater i guess?

Appaloosa > 3:10 remake

Open Range is the best of last decade.

I prefer it to the original. I can't take John Wayne seriously in anything he's in.

Bone Tomahawk

Hell on Wheels is an amazing western series tbqhwyf.

Say what you want about it but at the very least everyone can admit it had an 11/10 soundtrack.

that movie would have been so much better without those 2 stupid action sequences

outta my way plebs

Hateful 8 was fun because of based Kurt Russell, slutty JJL, and Walton Goggins.

I didn't like Samuel Jackson in it.

It's actually a TV show and it's Deadwood

True Grit and Yuma are great but suffer from being remakes. Open Range is perhaps the best classical western. Appaloosa and Tommy Lee Jones films are sincere classical attempts, good but nothing major (same with the miniseries Broken Trail, Hatfields & McCoys, Into the West). Jesse James is a cinematic masterpiece but perhaps not a great western, depends if you can handle something a bit more arthousish. Meek's Cutoff is arthouse autism, good lighting but dull. Not true westerns, but No Country, The Revenant, There Will Be Blood and Hell or High Water are great films with western influences (Justified for TV shows) (to lesser extents, Way Of The Gun, The Rover). The Proposition is terrific, but Australian. QT can be annoyingly derivative and post-modern, but his two westerns are excellent filmmaking and a lot of interesting references to western history. That Korean TGTBATU pseudo-remake is fun pulpy film-nerd shit too, Lone Ranger, Bone Tomahawk for something different. A vidya, RDR, undeniably a great western.

Literally nothing wrong with remakes

Dead in Tombstone is Danny Trejo western Kino.

A must watch if you aren't a faggot.

No Country for Old Men
Assassination of Jesse James
Hell or Highwater

>all this shit taste

>all this non-taste

They tend to feel less personal and approach the material with too much respect, meaning less creative risks and implications. The rare remakes that surpass originals are when the filmmaker betrays the original and does something different and personal, like The Thing. I think there's also a disconnect with how modern filmmakers make westerns, because it's not a genre that's being regularly produced anymore but also the filmmakers are too self-aware of the genre's mythology/history/symbolism etc., so they feel a bit awkward but ironically they make stronger movies when they use western influences in different settings, like NCFOM for Coens or Copland and Logan for Mangold. If the Coens had done a real western of their own, like Miller's Crossing was their version of the gangster film, it would have been a lot more unique than True Grit.

Open Range and 3:10 To Yuma are excellent. The Magnificent Seven remake wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

the issue with all modern westerns is that the actors, costumes, settings are all too clean

That's actually true. Looking at Sergio Leone's westerns, even Clint was always covered in dirt during the entire movie.

Slow West was fantastic. You can easily get lost in the story.

Hell or High Water was so good. Such a believable setting and story, every single actor knocked it out of the park.

muh nigga

Especially considering he got what amounts to a sympathy Oscar for it. The remake followed the book a lot better and is what it should be. Wayne's best western, or movie for that matter is The Searchers. It's one of the best ever.

Stop

I'd love a movie about Bass Reeves or Bear River Smith. The latter would certainly play against the standard expectations of a Western, with the hero relying more on quick fists rather than a quick draw. If you're also in western novels, I would highly recommend, "Law of the Trigger, " and "The Desperado, " by Clifton Addams.

Sam was the best character.

brimstone

Then contribute.

it's up there

I love a good Western novel and will definitely check these out. I would also highly suggest Blood Meridian. It gets thrown around here a lot once in a while because studios are always trying to tackle it. It needs a competent writer/director.

As crap?

I literally died laughing at this movie it was the best movie ever made it deserves over nine thousand Oscars.

I've never read blood meridian but I've heard it compared to Hell on Wheels a lot, which is my favorite tv show.

Its comfy and rewatchable

Hell or Highwater

Wayne deserves some credit for Rio Bravo, even if I wouldn't say it's Oscar material.

The Salvation.

The Good, the Bad, the Weird.

He was also good in Red River.

True Grit

as the blazing saddles of the 21st century

Surprised I haven't seen anyone post Slow West. Love that one

In theory no, but about 95% percent of them are less than mediocre, so they're kind of shit generally.

I liked 3:10 to Yuma right up until the ending.
I didn't mind Christian Bale getting killed off; thought it was rather ballsy to axe off the hero in the way that they did.

But you can get fucked if you think Russel Crowes' character would turn sides that quickly and under those circumstances.

Came here to post this.

This was a surprisingly good satire/black comedy