Jokes an waifufagging aside...

Jokes an waifufagging aside, how many characters in the history of western animation are honestly as deep and multi-layered as Pearl is?

>Starts off as Steven's loving, neat-freak godmother who saves the earth on a regular basis
>slowly she shows cracks and insecurities, revealing that she's worried she doesn't know how to raise Steven properly
>Rose's Scabbard hits and KAPOWIE, we learn Pearl was in love with Rose and secretly despises Steven for taking her away
>Deep down she just would gladly watch him die if she could be sure Rose would come back, but she can't and she despises herself for hating him
>Later we find out Pearl was born a slave who latched onto the woman who freed her and never abandoned her slave mentality
>Her obsessive neatness is not the only facet of that experience, she feels completely powerless and willing to manipulate her friends to hold onto the feeling of true power

holy crap that is a lot of interlocking layers of fucked up

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rQHrK7W7mGo
su2gold.tumblr.com/post/144410165609/angst-toon-amethyst-in-kindergarten-with-jam
soundcloud.com/aivisura/steven-universe-im-still-here
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pearl is perfect

i hate how much of a condescending bitch she is too greg

Demona.

This is why Pearl is worst gem.

>interlocking layers
More like just piling on arbitrary baggage. SU is a shit show that is only regarded favorably because of its cast's diversity. It's the only thing the show does well.

greg murdered rose with his penis

A lot of them.

Wew lad

Came here to say Goliath, but Demona is also right. Fuck, almost every major charater in Gargoyles is just as deep, if not deeper than Pearl.

True. Pearl isn't my favorite, but honestly if somebody killed someone I deeply loved for a very long time with their genitals (person i loved consenting or not) I would treat them a lot worse than pearl treats greg. Honestly she was meaner to him when rose was alive, so her chilling herself out a bit since she died and she started raising steven shows she's actually matured as a person.

>Cast with multiple body types and ethnicities
>The only developed one is the thin white girly woman.

>Deep down she just would gladly watch him die if she could be sure Rose would come back, but she can't and she despises herself for hating him

I think you read those scenes wrong. Im pretty sure pearl was more 'emotionally crippled' that episode rather than guilty of gross negligent homicide. She loves steven, all the gems do, but youre not wrong about the slight resentment and the guilt derived from it.

What is it with rock people?

so... pearl os the definition of a woman . more specifically a stacey. more more specifically a man hating feminist roastie.

Edgy.

Peridot is superior in every single way

Yeah. What a cunt.

>stacey

What the fuck is a stacey?

Female Chad.

What the fuck is a Chad?

An alpha male.

>pearl
>alpha

Like a Gorilla or a Wolf? Those don't last long.

That's a funny way of saying Amethyst.

Shit's heavy, man.

What if it's your awesome older brother who died during his 128 hour sex marathon while setting every record ever and getting all your enemies to kill themselves out of jealousy and has won a billion dollars to which you inherit 800million and are given eternal youth in peak condition by your brother's fruitful soul giving you it's powers.

Characterization changing != depth. All of the phases you described are very simple at their core. You may need to watch more shows aimed at adult audiences.

Amy's pretty developed but I agree that more is put behind Pearl than any other gem. Probably because she's based on Sugar's mom and as any therapist in New York can tell you, Jewish women have serious fucking mommy issues.

SUMMER GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

okay we were already working with a relatively implausible situation, don't hurt yourself

IMO i just really like pearl because she's adorable and relatable (I'm a pretty insecure girl myself and watching her accept her pearl status yet fighting to prove herself stronger inspires me I guess) and her expressions are hilarious. I could care less about her emotional baggage but that only makes her a dynamic character. Crewniverse is pretty consistent in how they write her too, unlike how characters are developed in AT...

This is why Pearl is secretly the star of the show.

Pearl and Rose had no romantic / sexual chemistry as seen on the show, from Rose view she was just a friend and compatriot to their cause.
Pearl is petty, clingy and over all pathetic character, at start she seems like a ok person but as show progresses her flaws start pouring out in the open,
she manipulates Garnet to fuse through lies and deceit,
she hates the widowing father of her best friends child because she is too petty to respect her decision and sacrifice,
Pearl is emotional leech who is toxic to any partner who isn't as clingy as her, who isn't extremely submissive or who has the patient of a saint and would tolerate her,
but she clearly goes for the strong leader types,
Rose being the leader of the whole rebellion and Garnet being the leader of the team and also the strongest one thanks to the fusion,
Pearl is bound to have unhappy relationships unless she manages to grow out of her mindset or find the exception to the rule in some leader type that tolerates her behavior.

TLDR; Pearl is a petty character that needs a character focused episode(s) where she finally figures her shit out

Yup she has serious emotional issues to work out but that makes for good future potential episodes

They've got big hands.

Smaller hands=more shallow personality.

Someone who's life is better than yours so you bitterly use a vague insult that means literally nothing while they walk past you with the girl you liked silently from afar in his arms so you break down crying in the street, things get fuzzy and you wake up in a white room with no effective way to kill yourself while doctors watch behind one-way glass

She's not a man-hater, she just hates the mate of the person she loved and the offspring they created.

Basically the same plot as a male character.

Talking about Steven Universe. Have you guys seen how great and funny the fandom is?

youtube.com/watch?v=rQHrK7W7mGo

The thing is pearlfags don't know people like her in real life so they can't understand.

She's one bad day from shaving her head and tying steven to his car seat and driving off a bridge with him.

Back in my day, we called those "preppies".

But i like my life. I'm going to Europe next month.

>Preppies
Cue the "My Immortal" flashbacks

No, she's a cuckold.
A cuckold who wasted all her life chasing a piece of tail that didn't even share the the same feelings as her and died giving birth to a son of her real lover and is now forced to raise him and stay at a planet she doesn't even really like or care about.

She's the biggest cuck in the universe, because it was Mr. Universe himself who cucked her.

Wow, I thought that was an ugly boy with tits until she opened her mouth.

>fuckity-thump

not down to make any comparisons to other animation, but every time i watch the end to rose's scabbard i discover a new little thing. most recently, this is how i saw it

>pearl just wants to get away from steven. he just reminds her of the fact that rose CHOSE to leave her, not to mention bringing that stupid secret lion with him everywhere
>leaves him to die
>he doesn't give a fuck
>proceeds to hug her
>"how the fuck can somebody be so loving as this ugly little bag of meat?"
>from that moment, begins to truly appreciate rose's reasoning for sacrificing herself to create a human hybrid

You couldn't resist, huh

Amethyst has a massive arc this upcoming season
Sadie has had a bunch of episodes
Ronaldo is ALWAYS RIGHT

>don't reveal much of anything initially
>reveal a few details
>HOLY SHIT HOW DEEP A CHARACTER
You are also stating the same point on different lines more than once, which doesn't add much weight to your argument. I'm not saying that she's a bad character, just that your "depth" seems to mostly just be slowly revealing information about her.

At best, it is showing some foreplanning in how well the aspects of her personality tie together - Pearl is super attached to Rose because Rose rescued her, she is resentful of Steven because he is the result of Rose leaving, she hates that aspect of herself, and she is an obsessive perfectionist because of all the above. It fits together well and sensibly, and is a bit impressive that you can remove some aspects of it and still have a complete character.

But fuck if I got any of that from your presentation of the character.

Fuck you mate. Spit my water out and can't get this out of my mind now.

> tfw you just NTR'd a motherfucker and he doesn't even realize it.

Pearl is my favorite bitch character in any cartoon. Anybody got a pic of that look she gives Greg right before they fuse into Rainbow Quartz?

How about the look that Rainbow Quartz gives Greg? One set of eyes is like "fuck me" and the other set says "I'm fucking your waifu"

i love a good poil worship thread

>All this character deconstruction
>worship

>grrrrowwl! rrroaar! >:^(
>humans dont like us :^(
>I don't trust you! :^[ (then proceeds to fully trust everyone)
>muh emotions for elisa :^\

Someone explain to me how Goliath was 'deep' again?

holy shit, you're so right. the way it ended, with Pearl just sort of staring at Steven as they're riding away always seemed weird to me but that actually makes so much sense.

su2gold.tumblr.com/post/144410165609/angst-toon-amethyst-in-kindergarten-with-jam

Pearls love for Rose was already shown in an indirect kiss, it was just portrayed as comedic.

there's also the theme of pearl wondering how much of steven's love is from his human side and how much is rose being able to "see me through your eyes". was that hug all steven, or did rose have a hand in it, too? like i said, so many little things to take in this episode that you only notice on repeat views

He was Optimus Prime minus the Gary Stu component and thus, better.

>in the history of western animation are honestly as deep and multi-layered as Pearl is?

Lots, if you are looking at the whole of western animation. Hell Mr. Finster from the rugrats was only sane for the sake of his son after his first wife died. In the what if scenario if he never had a son, he talked to a sock puppet and lived in filth. He learns to cope with loss and comes to the point where he was ready to move on with his life, and remarried.

I don't think he was that upset in the moment. The guitar is pretty phallic here. Still it seemed like they were two different personalities as RQ. Different from most other fusions where it created a new personality.

As long as we all agree Armrest is the worst

>leaves him to die
>The son of her heroine
>One of the 3 billion reasons Rose fought a war agaisn't the homeworld.
>She never cared about the cause. Not even Rose's kid.

Pearl is disgusting.

So basically, she can be summed up in three bullet points.

>MUH motherhood
>muh lesbian romance
>muh insecurities

We could've easily gotten this without the 10 minutes of crying and feelings and emotions each episode.

>In the what if scenario if he never had a son, he talked to a sock puppet and lived in filth
Fuck, man. Why did you had to remind me of that.?
What's with KC and doing interesting single parents? It's almost signature style.

At least this guy has some trigger discipline.

>pearl literally pearl clutching

Steven Universe is bad and you should feel bad for liking it.

It's usually more like one or two minutes of feelings each episode. Though there have been exceptions

Not really, and that's the problem. Nearly all of her episodes that focus on her always comes back to muh Rose, because the crew can't write her as anything else. It's boring at best, insulting at worst.

>Do it for her starts playing in the form of little chimes when steven pulls out Rose's Flag
soundcloud.com/aivisura/steven-universe-im-still-here

was thinking the same thing

>Steven the Sword Fighter
not muh rose (though she herself wasn't really present in most of it)
>Coach Steven
not muh rose
>Space Race
not muh rose
>rose's scabbard
muh rose
>Sworn to the sword
muh rose
>Cry for Help (which was an amethyst episode until the reveal)
not muh rose
>Historical Friction
not muh rose
>Friend Ship
not muh rose
>Back to the Barn
not muh rose

So user, tell me, how many episodes have you watched?

maybe rose created steven also as a way of helping pearl learn about herself and to have an appreciation for humanity. Pearl did it for Rose, but now that rose wrapped up into this new form, pearl has to learn to see what rose saw in humanity. in a way, Rose did it for her.

>That filename
You're an evil man

Loves me some Gargoyle

I agree
Pearl is objectively the best character in all of cartoon history

You're thinking too into it. SU is for children, not autists like you

Meant this one

>Be at least 8000 years old
>Be born an ornamental slave
>Become a fearsome warrior for the one you love
>Be hyper-capable at almost anything you do
>Lose your mistress to someone who is not only not a gem, not only mortal, not only organic, but a member of an absurdly primitive race, even among which he can be considered a loser

...Frankly, I think she's being very nice to him.

I mean, the gems are like wildlife preserve rangers. You can love these monkeys to death, and do pretty much anything to save them, but you wouldn't start up a serious relationship witth them.

Question: did Rose tell Greg beforehand that it would kill her?

Pearl is superior in every single amethyst?

That doesn't even make sense.

One day you will visit the zoo and end up falling into the lion preserve. The guards will be too late and I will read about it and knowingly smile, because justice has been served.

" I will fight in the name of Rose quartz and everything that she believed in "

Rose believed in Greg
that's why .. my friend.

To be fair, Rose didn't really help the situation at all.

She completely discarded Pearl despite knowing her feelings because hot monkey dik too stronk.

That's good. The hangover should have died down a little by then.

That made me sad.

Really? You think this is a kids' show?

Yes. She didn't kill Greg. Which, frankly, would have been a sane response for a samurai warrior who notices her mistress has apparently lost her mind.

Don't tell me she couldn't have set it up to look like an accident.

Man walks up to a cliff to enjoy the view. Oops!
Cranky old van turns out to have bad brakes. Oops!
Faulty heater fills aformentioned van with carbon monoxide. Oops!

But she didn't. If she had, Rose would have mourned Greg and moved on - something Pearl already knew she was capable of - and the worst thing that had happened that she had protected her beloved mistress from a deadly fate, which is something she had done countless times already - and that she had shaved off a handful of decades off a life already destined to end, one life out of millions.

...Seriously. How would things have gone if she had taken Greg out of the equation?

It's a mystery. What did she see in Greg? Surely, in the past, princes and heroes must have vied for her favor. This deathless, ageless, beautiful giantess who radiates kindness, courage and honor.

Well, Pearl likely couldn't kill greg without Rose knowing.
Either she'd be unable to lie to Rose or Garnet would alert Rose to the possibility.

>How would things have gone if she had taken Greg out of the equation?
This raises more of an interesting point though.
>Would Rose have been able to beat the modern Homeworld tech?
>Would Rose have forgiven Peridot to be warned of the Cluster?
>Would Rose have been able to commune & convince the Cluster to bubble itself?

I think part of the reason Rose believed in Steven so much is cause she recognized her own shortcomings.
That she was lacking something that would be needed in the future, and how her team had a lot of issues internally that were only being buried by her presence, not solved in any way.
>Pearl's dependancy
>Amy's identity issues
>Garnet's ??? (maybe some issues with her losing herself/sense of wonder?)

Yes.
Also to help the gems understand the way she sees things. If the gems had to take care of a human, they'd finally have to understand what she saw in them.
I mean, in the long run the gems couldn't give less of a fuck about the earth itself if it was destroyed, compared to any other gem-invaded world.
It just happens to be the place Rose chose as being THE ONE, Pearl just followed her, Amethyst just happened to be born here and Garnet has nowhere else to go without triggering the whole matriarchy.
Why did Rose chose it tho, who really knows.

That's another big mystery really, what was the real catalyst for the war.
Like, the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm still hoping that it turns out that Pink Diamond was actually a sympathetic Diamond, and that she wanted more from Earth but got taken out because of it.
That'd explain how Rose got her ideals despite being a soldier, give a big event (her leader being killed) to push her to full on rebellion, and explain why Pink was seemingly erased from Homeworld society completely.

Sauce for the love of god

IThat would make way more sense than any cockamammie "Rose is PD" shitpost pasta which is why it won't get repeated and "daily reminder"-ed ad nauseum in every other SU thread.

I still think Rose was just naturally a "love everyone and everything" type, though. Feels like it diminishes her character as THE rebel if you say she just learned that from someone else.