The Plotholes Come At Night

>The Plotholes Come At Night

What did they mean by this?

flicks tv tricked you into watching

I mean I thought it was good, but nothing much better than that. My friend was telling me how he was on edge the entire movie, and I just didn't get that feeling.

Also I still think it was zombies

That's a good poster. I would watch it just because of the poster.

They never explained what happened to the grandpa

What happened to the dog

Or how the dog even got inside

I mean I don't really think it matters what happened to the grandpa or the dog. I'm sure there's plenty of ways they could have gotten infected. But I can understand the problem of how the dog got into the house

I'm pretty sure they gotta explain at some point - there's ambiguity (like how Moss dies in No Country for Old Men) which you can piece together easily and then there's just being plain vague (this movie)

I can understand how a lot of parts of the movie were vague, I agree with that. But I don't think it needed to explain how the grandpa (a character that we see for like 5 minutes at the very beginning of the film who is already infected) and the dog (who runs off into the forest for the night and could have ran into some infected animal) were infected.

Also, is everyone agreeing that the little boy was the one who was infected? My friend thinks that it was actually the black kid who opened the red door up when he heard the dog and lied about it.

>Movies you should be embarrassed about not understanding
FTFY

I think it goes grandpa->dog->black kid->white kid->parents

Movie's not hard to understand but understanding it doesn't make it good. The plot has serious issues in how it's presented. Something being unexplained for the sake of it being unexplained is bad practice and is especially blatant in It Comes At Night. You're not patrician for liking a poorly thought out story.

>5+5 = 10
>What the fuck, how? This doesn't make any sense!
>Yes it does, you're an idiot
>YOU'RE JUST PRETENDING TO UNDERSTAND IT, IT'S CLEARLY GIBBERISH, NOBODY THINKS YOU LOOK SMART DUDE

Nothing needed explanation. What are you taking about?

>They never explained what happened to the grandpa

There was an epidemic. He got sick. You understood this, right? Because it's pretty central to the plot.

How can anyone defend the profoundly anticlimactic ending?

How did the black kid unlock the two doors if the father had the key?

Why did he re-lock the outer door but not the inner door?

It was clear they had done the procedure before (burial, burn) - so what caused the grandpa to get infected?

>what does the dog go after and how does it get infected (could have been infected before it leaves I suppose)
>how did the red door get opened
>how did the dog get inside the house at the end
Even ignoring these the ending is garbage and the movie needed to trick people into seeing it with its bait and switch trailer. The usage of narrower aspect ratio was was also done poorly. I'm not sure what exactly it was supposed to signal (mostly it's used for the dream sequences but then at the end it's not, I've seen people say it's meant to signify the disease, which makes sense I guess) but it was way too jarring and could have been done without.

>Also, is everyone agreeing that the little boy was the one who was infected? My friend thinks that it was actually the black kid who opened the red door up when he heard the dog and lied about it.

It was the black kid because the young kid was too small to reach the door

>Where does the dog go
Outside?
>How did the red door get opened
Sleep walking is a symptom of the disease
>How did the dog get inside
It was really loud, so I assume it bashed it's way into the room

So a sick dog about to die - on its death bed - would bash its way past the barricades

Right

>Sleep walking is a symptom of the disease

Was this implied by the grandpa at all?

>Outside?
When it starts barking at something and then runs off.

>Sleep walking is a symptom of the disease
Didn't the dad have the only set of keys to both doors? And the little kid is the only one sleep walking. The black kid didn't sleep walk, all of those sections were dreams iirc.

>It was really loud, so I assume it bashed it's way into the room
It was injured when it came back, I guess from an animal, so you're saying that an animal that is almost dead by the time it gets inside managed to break open the door? Wouldn't the family have noticed this when checking out the room?

It died from the glass stabbing it and it's implied sleep walking is a symptom by the way the dad asks about the child.

No one will remember this flick in a year's time. I can't wait until all the Reddit on this board grows up and realized artsy and vague does not automatically signify a good movie.

>Didn't the dad have the only set
Yes, therefore ...

The black kid stole the keys and forgot about opening it? The dad opened the door, went back to sleep, and then forgot or didn't tell anyone for some reason? The dad was asleep and the door was already open when the black kid found it.

is there a good non-camrip out yet?

>Sleep walkers remember what they do when they sleep walk
Are you serious right now?

You're only saying he stole the dads keys because the kids black

The dad was infected

Sleepwalking is only mentioned once in regards to the little kid and nowhere else in the movie is sleepwalking correlated with the disease. Unless the black kid's dream sequences are supposed to in some way symbolize sleepwalking, which the movie doesn't make clear at all if that's supposed to be the case. Again, poorly and sloppily put together plot.

So that would explain why the black kid found the rifle on the ground outside

The disease, to me, seemed like it rotted your brain, based on Grandpa's vegetable nature. Anything along those lines are fair game in my book.

So the black kid is chasing after his dog, and there's a point where the kid stops at this ominous tree

Should I take it as the tree infected the black kid and Joel Edgerton/the dad with some kind of wood rot disease aka the plague?

Nothing about where the disease came from is in the movie, cause it doesn't really matter for the story.

Which makes the movie feel like a pretty standard drama/thriller overall.

>oh here are just some random guys in the woods lmao!

Reminds me of Midnight Special - a lot of promise, but little pay off

I'm not saying it's a classic, I just think the hate it gets here is hyperbolic just for the sake of it. I enjoyed it because it's a realistic version of 'the zombie apocalypse' and how that effects people.

Are you implying those are plot holes? If so, you don't know what fucking plot holes are

Would you prefer what I call it what it really was? Intentional hipster vagueness for the purpose of being vague to gain hipster points?

I mean The Shining pantry scene could be seen as a plot hole, but Kubrick implies a couple of ways Jack Torrence could have gotten out

>Would you prefer what I call it what it really was? Intentional hipster vagueness for the purpose of being vague to gain hipster points?
That would at least be subjectively accurate. A plot hole is an inconsistency or other issue that makes the plot illogical. Not anything that the plot leaves ambiguous.

>Would you prefer I call it what it really was
How is this even a question?

This is what bothered me. I thought the dad had the keys the whole time. Regardless of who opened it, how did they open it without the key when the door is bolted close?

Part of it comes from all the praise it's getting too. There's people calling it an amazing movie and then people are being less forgiving about its issues because of this. It is realistic and in reality you don't get all the answers. There are good ways to go about not giving the audience all the answers but this movie didn't do it well. Realistic progression of things happening doesn't always work well as a movie. And on top of that it pissed a lot of people off because of how the movie was framed in its trailers compared to how it actually way. It wasn't the first movie to do this but it's the worst offender that I can think of in recent memory, on top of not being a good enough movie for it to make up for it. This movie seemed to do everything wrong that other movies have done before but didn't have anything to make it worthwhile if you look past these things.

it was a great movie that didn't have to rely on jump scares or monsters to be tense and scary.

That's why I don't watch trailers, and probably why I don't feel burned.

there were like 5 jump scares

try again sweetie. A jump scare is when a creature suddenly appears accompanied by an increase in volume. This film used quick editing to make it seem like something was going to happen but doesn't actually act on it. The result is that the audience member scares himself to compensate for the build-up. It's called a spook run-up.

Germs, stupid

yes, but it seemed like you needed to be in pretty close contact with someone/thing that was infected to get sick. so who infected grandpa and the dog? the dog is less conspicuous since he was out roaming about for a long time in the woods, he could have come in contact with god knows what. but grandpa, how the hell was he infected? since the movie basically opens with that whole scenario, we aren't really left with an answer. and it's mysterious in retrospect too, because of just how meticulous the family was in keeping isolated and free from infection.

>compared to how it actually way.

yes. yes. i agree.

Nothing in the movie indicates that it's contagious or even a disease. It could be fungal.

>it seemed like you needed to be in pretty close contact with someone/thing that was infected to get sick

[citation needed]

Main questions are
>what killed the dog and put it in the house?
>why did Will lie about having a brother?
>the kid was never shown as being sick or not, why was he crying so much?

[citation needed]

andrew contacts stanley = sick
travis contacts andrew = sick
will/kim contact andrew = sick
sarah contacts travis = sick
paul removes gasmask in room with will/kim/andrew & was staying in a room with travis and sarah after travis was exposed and sarah touched and kisses travis = sick

Have you seen the happening?

>>why did Will lie about having a brother?

he explains that he referred to his brother-in-law as his brother, because he was like a brother.

the only reason people doubt this is because of the paranoia throughout the house. paul was being smart in having doubts, because he was always one step ahead in the way that he was taking precautions. and like sarah and him discussed, they didn't know if anything that will & kim were saying was true.

but i believe that will and kim were being truthful. it was just an extremely difficult and trying time for everyone. they got pushed to extremes. andrew became sick. and will's family decided they needed to leave asap.

Those aren't plot holes, those are simply parts of the story that weren't told. Know the difference, reddit

will/kim/andrew weren't sick, they were leaving because someone in the house was sick and opening doors and shit

yes, i didn't care for it.

Not the point of the question, senpai

Yeah when I think about it, it would have been pointless to lie about that, so it must be a red herring to add to the paranoia

debatable i suppose. but also the reason people can't follow the logical chain of events and believe that there are huge plotholes.

>But I can understand the problem of how the dog got into the house
Is this really mysterious? The son let him in.

>but if I don't have a character explain everything in a way that tells me the father character doesn't know everything then how will I know
You're supposed to relate to the father trying to protect his family, in general you know as much as he does about things, this is so non-autists can feel the same things that the father character does.