Can anyone rec me movies like the first Mission Impossible:

I find this movie to be so good and enjoyable, the acting, that tension build up in the restaurant scene, the dutch camera angles, Tom Cruise trying to figure things out while he wanders through the streets of Prague. I know it's not the best film, but it's a personal favorite of mine. Anything like this out there?

Ronin

Good suggestion.

Forgot about this movie. Just what I was looking for. Thanks user!

My movie

>there was a time when summer action movies were criticized for having a complex plot

People have always been plebs. The only difference is that we don't try to expand their horizons now.

I remember people bitching about MI being too hard to understand. This was before cell phones were everywhere. They even reference it in MI2.

Good but a little bit over the top with the explosions and all.

Let me suggest: The Assignement (1997)

Spy Games (there's a lot of cringeworthy effects added in editing like a time clock, pause effects, etc. but the movie itself is good)

Brotherhood of the Rose (tv mini-series that should have been presented in theatres it's that good)

I saw the movie when I was 11 years old and I understood the plot just fine.

>Mission Impossible, The Harrison Ford Jack Ryan Movies, Executive Decision, The Rock, Broken Arrow, The Peacemaker, Air Force One

Why were military/political/espionage action thrillers so comfy in the 90s?

The first Mission Impossible was fuckin' great, dude. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I like Enemy of the State
>inb4 Will Smiff
It's comfy, bros.

Also don't forget The Siege.

>Jack Ryan Movies
>the fuck is this
>look it up
holy fucking shit I never knew they were all meant to be the same character

Look at De Palma's othe rmovies. He had a thing for Hitchcockian movies that may be close enough to MI for you to enjoy even if they aren't spy movies.

>tfw I'm the only one who loved his movie Passion

And True Lies

This thread is in the wrong decade. Try the 70s.

Now that you mention it and I think about it more, the 90's were probably the GOAT for comfy political thrillers.
>Hunt for Red October
>Crimson Tide
>The Jackal
>A Few Good Men
>The Firm

OP here, I saw a lot of De Palma movies, though I haven't his 1968-1972 era movies I could say it's my favorite director. I love his thrillers, Raising Cain included and Passion starts kind of generic, but when the dream sequences arrive the film becomes really good for De Palma fans.

Saw The Firm the other day and I was surprised how good it was.

Bamp.

JFK(ino)