What is the point of having a villain?

If their only purpose is to die or be imprisoned and be made a lesson to others, then their existence seems pretty obsolete, isn't it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYgIrqELFw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

interesting question, but I using a pone for your OP will just get this thread deleted. Try again if you don't get banned.

MODSMODSMODS

So the hero can punch something in the climax

Because it's hard as fuck to have no antagonist and you'll just force a character go full retard for the sake of being an antagonist

What is the point of having a hero? If their only purpose is to save someone or stop the villain or learn something, then their existence seems pretty obsolete, isn't it?

>If their only purpose is to die or be imprisoned and be made a lesson to others

What makes that "their only purpose"? Villains can be much more than that.

What stupid hair.

Stories are a means of dealing with the harsh realities of the world. A villain allows us to place blame on someone for causing problems, and their defeat allows us to feel like there is hope in the world.

Stories provide morals, ideals, and various other important components of society.

>most obvious thread in awhile
>HE isn't here because it isn't a thread he made himself
Loving Every Laugh.

I always thought it was stupid that the Pokemon anime thought it needed one almost every episode. Other shows have had them appear more than they needed to, too.

to have a fucking story you gigantic faggot.

Pones have their own thread, but yet cartoons and comics are on the same board

Because they weren't born to be imprisoned - a vast number of them happened to be obnoxious enough to justify imprisonment. And clearly some of them still are.

>own thread
you mean board?

Ponies are a cartoon, and also a comic book.

shame the comics are mostly crap

except friends forever 3 that remains to this day the best single comic issue i have ever read

It literally depends on how you write a villain.

There will always be real villains in the real world.

Sometimes they win, and the hero dies.

Villains create conflict. Conflict equals a form of change, and change is a good thing. Without a proper villain the story would be really boring, a big flat line that gets from point a to point b in the most straightforward way possible.

I happen to be an expert on this.

Stories require conflict. This conflict can take many forms and a villain is not necessarily required.

But they are an easy source of conflict. It takes a next level story teller to present a tale without a clear antagonist that manages to be appealing. Honestly think about your life, what does it consist of? Wake up, brush teeth, take a shower, have a quick breakfast, rush to work, work a boring monotonous job 9 to 5, maybe have lunch, go home, relax as best you can, eat dinner. Etc, etc.

Most people develop routines, they're boring but useful. They also make for bad stories. A villain is an easy thing to throw at a character so they have conflict.

they aren't there to be imprisoned or killed, plenty of story tellers let their antagonists get off scott free.

they're there to cause conflict.

youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYgIrqELFw

Follow your dreams OP

But she ain't a pone tho

it's still mlp and mods are very stern about posting outside of /mlp/

Still alive?

villains truly are the most tragic characters. They put so much effort into their goal but you still know right from the start that it's going to end bad for them

>yfw Sunset and Starlight will never switch places
>yfw Sunset will never be a regular character in the show
>yfw no one cares that pony Sunset is no longer in Equestria

They shouldn't be, it's retarded.

Reeee. I am #triggered by the horse human in your're OP post. Please delete it or I will call the police... or something.

Forget it. If you're still triggered by a fucking MLP post, you're the only one who needs help, not the horsefuckers.

>inb4 you-know-who comes along

I still like the show its one a few shows I haven't drop yet but it's getting there

"Why am I still here? Just to suffer?

This.
Also, villains are provide morbid entertainment, or, especially in horror stories, the fear factor.
Well, used to at least. Modern horror villains suck harder than a hooker in heat.

*are providing

>you-know-who
He obviously didn't make this thread so he's not going to show up any time soon.

Any examples of stories without a villain? It sounds like an interesting concept if done right

>3 hours
>He isn't here
I'm getting scared guys

The only stories without any form of villains are children's books.
Remember, user, a villain can be more than just a person; they are meant to be a force to oppose the protagonist, that's why the conflict of stories is broken down into different categories: Man vs Man, Man vs Nature, Man vs Society, and Man vs Self. If you don't include any of these aspects into your story, the all you're left with is something mundane and boring, just like the average person's life.

Same...do you think he finally made an end about his useless life?

Otherwise the mods are pretty chill too so far

you know what story had no real villains?

It's a popular video game talked about a lot on Sup Forums

Ghost Trick. You thought I was gonna say something else, didn't you?

It's pretty much the guy himself who starts the threads he appears in, so he hasn't started this one
Also, the thread is surprisingly on topic, which is villans, and hasn't devolved into horse discussion

a villain doesnt even need to be someone who causes direct conflict. you can use a character that has different view points and actually even potentially a good reason for what theyre doing. something morally ambiguous.

>Ghost Trick
Yomiel was ultimately a lot more sympathetic than first impressions would suggest, but Commander Sith and his gang were pretty explicitly villains

Yeah I don't see what the hassle is about using horse show related pics when it engages actual interesting thread topics

The mods are just not paying attention yet. This thread will be deleted.

And there is a very good chance it's still him anyway but he's playing it off hardcore like it isn't, he really just wants to talk about himself. Two Littlest Pet Shop threads in the last couple days were deleted because the dumbass mods thought it was MLP, they are not being "chill", and the second of which the poster in question showed up just to announce it was him who made it

This. The picture isn't even a pony. The only /mlp/ here is the fuckers complaining about this thread.

Inside Out.

It's from Equestria Girls, which is part of MLP, I personally think the whole "no pony" rule is fucking stupid and archaic at this point but even I know that's dumb, as is the rule is all brony/pony images or anything is not allowed

It SHOULD be allowed, but OP pic is still breaking the rule, you know this.

I do know that. Most of Sup Forums doesn't. Those who do should be smart enough to shut up about it. All I'm trying to say is that the picture isn't *depicting* a pony, and the OP topic is a legitimate topic.

And OP clearly knows that it's against the rules, hence why they posted it alongside a legitimate topic to troll and fuck with the mods.

I commend them for it, it makes me laugh, but no amount of denial is going to avoid the deletion of this thread the moment one of the mods gets here.

Is barney fag getting old? It feels like it's an end of an era.

>I personally think the whole "no pony" rule is fucking stupid and archaic at this point but even I know that's dumb

As with most rules it had a purpose when it was forged, nowadays the autism from bronies have subsided.

To paraphrase an user on /qa/, GR15 should be modified so that pony threads must stay on /mlp/, however pony images may be used outside of /mlp/

This pretty much

I don't know how the mods work around these parts, but is it possible that they will see this thread, see that we are actually being civilised and leave it alone?