Is meditation a meme?

Is meditation a meme?
Can I reach enlightenment? Are there any studies out there that show meditation being super based?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/mahasati.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj4pdfj7KbOAhViwYMKHQQnBiQQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNENTLnqrAaKr6B25rFbdTit-_fIKQ&sig2=4fS0UGN4VaHNZLPRfDB5TQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Is meditation a meme?

Meditation is a generic term, which includes some legit techniques, but most in the west are crap.
>Can I reach enlightenment?

I dunno, jsut enlightenment is not what you think it is.

:Are there any studies out there that show meditation being super based?

There are studies that show that it has a positive effect on your emotional well being.

Meditation is nice, but don't expect to get BTFO by it.

rephrasing: is enlightenment a meme?
I have heard that enlightenment is the primary goal of life, at least of a human, all other pursuits are secondary.

What are some examples of a legit technique and what makes it so?

nigga just take 5g of these, it's way better than meditation

>I have heard that enlightenment is the primary goal of life

That's in theory, yes, if you have the possibility of practicing meditation in this life.

Honestly I wouldn't go into meditation with the goal of reaching enlightenment. In my case, it has done wonders with depression and anxiety.

[mystical sitar music playing in the background]

I'm no expert. According to Chögyam Trungpa in the book of Cutting through spiritual materialism.
Any technique that focuses on a certain emotion, that's not meditation, that is mental gymnastic to obtain the desired state.

Interesting. I wonder then if the focus on compassion is ill placed in Buddhism. It seems a little over the top.

Read this and work through the practices. After you practice it 100 or so times and feel like you've got it, move on.

Forgot link

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/mahasati.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj4pdfj7KbOAhViwYMKHQQnBiQQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNENTLnqrAaKr6B25rFbdTit-_fIKQ&sig2=4fS0UGN4VaHNZLPRfDB5TQ

No its not, it definately works, but I cant force it.

My wisdom comes in thrusts.

Compassion arises naturally with the frequent practice of meditation. As one becomes less self absorbed, you start noticing the suffering of the persons around you and feel the urge to help them.

I also don't understand the need of focusing on compassion.

i'm sure it works but can't you achieve the same effect by popping a valium

In an aware state, compassion arises as it needs to. But it's true that you can cultivate compassion by focusing on it. With reflection you can find many opportunities for compassion. You can program your own brain to cultivate any mindset.

In an aware state, compassion arises as it needs to. But it's true that you can cultivate compassion by focusing on it. With reflection you can find many hidden opportunities for compassion. You can program your own brain to cultivate any mindset.

Enlightenment means truly freeing yourself of all wordly desires. Living as an American and being enlightened are incompatible, your entire way of life is based on unnecessary desire which is needed to run the capitalist economy. You'd become a social outcast amongst everyone you every knew because you would view their lives as empty.

>In an aware state, compassion arises as it needs to. But it's true that you can cultivate compassion by focusing on it. With reflection you can find many opportunities for compassion. You can program your own brain to cultivate any mindset.

I know it is practiced in tibetan buddhim, but I have no experience with it.

>you every knew because you would view their lives as empty.

And that's when compassion kicks in, you want to help them with their emptiness.

Right but lets be honest with ourselves. 99.9999% of people in the western world don't want what Buddhism offers. They don't view buddhists as spiritually enlightened, they view them as poor hippies.

The West is built around consumerism, Buddhism teaches the exact opposite. They don't mesh well.

7g was my highest dose, was tripping with my gf. I remember at one point shouting at her that I had gone temporarily insane from knowing too much simultaneously kek.

That being said, don't do psychedelics if you aren't in a good frame of mind. They'll make you face your true self, and for many people that would be a bad thing.

>Right but lets be honest with ourselves. 99.9999% of people in the western world don't want what Buddhism offers.

Deep down it is starving for it. Just look at the mental illness epidemic in the west.

>They don't view buddhists as spiritually enlightened, they view them as poor hippies.

in many places, buddhism has been hijacked by hippies and their new age mumbo-jumbo. They are nbot very wrong

>The West is built around consumerism, Buddhism teaches the exact opposite. They don't mesh well

So does Christianity. The aim of buddhism is to view reality as it is.

Enlightenment is pretty easy for Americans because of this desu. The material shit is shoved in your face so much it quickly becomes apparent and distasteful if you're paying attention at all.

Escaping the projected reality of the material through meditation is to find the true reality of which God exists.

I've done some meditating and some creepy things happened.

First, by trying to control my ego (as in that voice in your head that is separate from your mind), not the Freudian ego, I pictured it as a golden ball with the space around it being a nebulous purple. When it's controlled, or recognized, the ball is small and inside the purple haze. When it's not, the gold overtakes the purple and everything has a golden haze to it.

Twice while meditating, my mind sort of lost control and two things happened without me having to think a out them. First a figure walk out of the darkness, stopped, then turned around and walked back. Then at a different time a face did the same thing. They were sort of neon colored silhouettes and creepy as fuck. Soon after I had a horribly intense nightmare.

I may be a dark person .

There is no "technique" that is right for meditation. It is preferred that you stay in a upright sitting position that is comfortable with the arms spread across. This is however not required since position is only a part of meditating. The point of meditating (non religiously) is to self reflect while being emotionally calm. If you feel somehow mentally clear or refreshed afterwards, that is only a placebo effect. Meditation is shown to have long term effects over a long time and just a few sessions of meditation probably wont do much for you.

be careful with those edges son. You might cut yourself.

Shit comes up. Doesn't meant you're dark, light, whatever. When you start meditating a lot of unresolved stuff comes up and it often plays itself out in symbolic form. Learning to work with this is what Jung called the process of individuation. Don't worry. Just relax and learn how to make stuff stop when you want it to.

If you're just gonna label everything you don't understand/like as a "meme", you might as well not even bother with meditation.

i think thats bullshit

That wasn't meditation, that was you rolling too much molly.

Ain't edge man. Try it. If you practice you'll find some demons of your own.

Meditation is like scrubbing the infection out of a wound. It's not pleasant at first, but it's necessary for the wound to heal.

I don't have any reason to lie. I'm just telling my experience. It wasn't a dream but it wasn't connected to any train of thought either.