This was legitimately fun

This was legitimately fun

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UaFew_lCBjQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fun is a buzzword

It doesn't mean anything

It's a shame the story was pretty stupid and any parts without gunplay were boring. Keanu, while perfect for the action bits, isn't charismatic enough to carry a corny action movie. So the movie doesn't have much rewatch value because of that, unless you're really craving operatorcore.

they could have cut 30 minutes from it and it would have been better. That entire sewer(?) part was pointless

you must have a miserable life

Most of it is stupid, but forgivable for the sake of what it is. What I couldn't stand was like 20% of the population of New York being professional killers/in the business somehow. The scene with Winston getting all those people to freeze in place was a breaking point for absurdity.

I enjoyed it, I'd rather see more movies like this than more capeshit.

John wick 3 is going to rock our world

Could have done without the mute character.
Then again, that would make it near inseparable to JW1.

I'm convinced that the series is a tongue-in-cheek takedown of gloomy action movies like Drive and the later Bourne films. It is much more a comedy than most people, I think, give it credit for.

Like, they give Wick the most basic motivation possible and ride it for two films, and they make sure to milk it well past the point of absurdity.

>Film 1: Wick loses his dog, given to him by his dead wife. Cue rage and grief.
>Film 2: Wick's house burns down, and the film goes through great pains to show the viewer that the biggest loss is that his single framed picture of his wife is burnt to a crisp. Cue rage and grief.
>Film 2 (again!): The phone on which Wick has stored the last video of him and his wife is smashed (apparently our hero doesn't believe in backups). Cue even MORE rage and grief.

It was that last bit with the phone that made it clear to me that I was supposed to be laughing, not crying.

Then you've got the random strange and absurd bits scattered throughout, like when mute assassin-girl grabs his ass and the music swells into this menacing power chord, or when Common and Wick have their "silenced" gunfight in the middle of a crowded thoroughfare.

On top of that, you have the film increasingly raising the stakes on just how ridiculous this whole universe is. You've got the extended bit where Wick purchases weaponry like he's ordering wine, the underground hobo-kingdom (which apparently includes most-if-not-all of the homeless in New York), the whole idea of the Continental itself being upped into this strange, ubiquitous shadow-government (with the "freezing extras" in the last scene already being mentioned in this thread), and of course nearly every human in New York being a hit-man with the same flip-phone, and they all have each other's numbers.

Any of those things taken alone I might think was just stretching the film's attempt at realism. But all of them together? Nah, that's on purpose. John Wick doesn't want to be taken seriously.

It wasn't fun
It was [/spoiler]kino[/spoiler]

Legitimately

>gloomy action movies like Drive
>actions movies like Drive

Be honest, are they making a third?

Except of the near endless killing of minions.

John Wick was fun in a good movie kind of way
John Wick 2 was fun in a bad movie kind of way

>Keanu, while perfect for the action bits, isn't charismatic enough to carry a corny action movie.

I disagree. I think it's Keanu is hilarious in action movies precisely because he has the presence and mannerisms of an extreme slacker.

The guy he's playing is so hardcore he does action while looking like he barely gives a fuck and is just killing time until his next coffee break.

Truly the people's hero

Of course, Chad confirmed John wick is going to be a trilogy
And there's some TV spinoff based on the Continental down the line

>t's a shame the story was pretty stupid and any parts without gunplay were boring.
You just described the first movie.

JW 2 improved so much on the first one.

OP did you see the movie yesterday?

>tfw we were in the same cinema together
Yes this movie came out extremely late in my country.

I am happy I wasn't spoiled

Awesome, JW2 was the only good movie a saw this year.

>Could have done without the mute character.
it was worth it for this single shot of Ruby Rose butt

That was pretty cool

>"silenced" gunfight

That shit was hilarious.

youtube.com/watch?v=UaFew_lCBjQ

>tfw no qt mute Ruby Rose

It was just an hour and a half of killing. How is this an acclaimed film by any stretch of the imagination?

>John Wick doesn't want to be taken seriously.

did you seriously just figure that out

the original movie had plenty of moments like this, like when the cop just nonchalantly lets john wick go after he slaughtered all those people or that phone call to the russian mob boss that ends in "Oh."

I feel like the first film either hadn't decided that yet, or at least reigned itself in more. The sheer amount of balls-to-the-wall ridiculousness that JW2 crammed into its runtime far exceeds the (in my opinion) mostly forgivable stuff from 1. Obviously it wasn't a "realistic" film, but I didn't get the same feeling of purposefully sticking out its tongue at action flicks like I did with the second one.

I kind of get the same vibe I get from the first two Mad Max films. The first one was a proof of concept. The second one is where they really established the identity of the franchise.

I've just accepted that this is an alternate universe in which contract killing is more widely practiced and acceptable. The movies hint at this between how much of it goes on, the cops not paying much attention, and a weaker legal system.

no one pretends it's anything other than that. it's just a stylish action movie. a perfect popcorn flick