How the hell does Sonic have so many comics and cartoons...

How the hell does Sonic have so many comics and cartoons? He's not a hilarious character that keeps kids laughing like Spongebob. His "deep lore" isn't great. What's his appeal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Kmp992MuEc
strawpoll.me/10587337
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Furries.

He's way past cool, fucknut.

his design is pretty good i guess

Furfaggotry and nostalgia.

>Inb4 "lol autism!"

A surprisingly large fanbase of hardcore autists.

lol autism

What you see is what you get, he's just a guy that loves adventure. He's Sonic the Hedgehog.

>What's his appeal?
Gee idk...maybe the fucking video games that tons of people grew up playing, comic books they grew up reading, and cartoons they grew up watching

There's a million other guys who loves adventure more appealing than him

He was super popular in the 90s which lead to most of the cartoons and comics and every now and then you get something from sonic that drags kids into the series. His stuff still sells because even the Boom U game sold more than it should have.

Seriously, kids fucking love Sonic.

>Why does ____ have so many comics and cartoons?
Gee, maybe because he has a ton of comics and cartoons people grew up with, you fuckwit?

Your average Sonic fan IQ.

He's honestly just kinda cool as far as kids characters go. He covers a lot of the bases. Bright primary colours, anthropomorphized animal characters which has worked as long as cartoons have existed, classic super powers such as super speed & flight etc, too cool for school attitude. All stuff that appeals to kids.

It'd be more surprised if he wasn't popular with kids. His enduring popularity despite decades of shit games just goes to show Sonic really is just plain cool in terms of kids media.

People grew up with the games, then the cartoon, then the other ones, and so on and so forth

It's generational dipshit, every generation remembers sonic from the prior generation and is given their own version, hence the interest keeps going

Bright colours and geometric designs appeal to children (and folk with autism)

Sly Cooper lives in a furry world and is way cooler than Sonic and his movie will probably be shelved because R&C bombed.

Feels bad, man.

He's evidently not cooler than Sonic though.

A better question is how did the video games get so popular. StH was certainly a good platformer, but it's nothing earth-shattering.

Is this just a case of Sega successfully forcing a meme IRL?

I'm not a huge fan of Sonic Underground but the final credit is pretty cool: youtube.com/watch?v=6Kmp992MuEc

also kids always loved cartoony talking animals.

Ask yourself that same question but replace "Sonic" with "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and you will have your answer

Sonic 1 wasn't that good, but it sold well enough (including being bundled with the Genesis/Mega Drive) to get a sequel. Sonic 2 improved on everything 1 did, especially with the addition of the Spin Dash,Tails, and Super Sonic. Sonic 3 (and Knuckles) did the same for Sonic 2.

>StH was certainly a good platformer, but it's nothing earth-shattering.
For the time it came out, yes it very much was. And really, while Sonic 1 it was Sonic 2 that was the gigantic success.

Also, the character of Sonic himself was incredibly appealing. He was the Bugs Bunny to Mario's Mickey. Quite literally what would be the 90s personified into one character and he didn't even need to talk, hell just fucking look at him. Way past cool dude

(It's occurring to me now that Sonic is actually an old franchise and people that are younger than like 20 probably wouldn't know this)

But the toys came first

strawpoll.me/10587337

>What's his appeal?
90sfags who refuse to just grow up.

Sega is only just now realizing what an ever-diminishing demographic that is. Compare Sonic to most other video game characters with an expansive history, Sonic reeks of the decade he comes from while characters like Mario and Pac-Man feel absolutely timeless like Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny.

It's amazing he's lasted this long, but he doesn't have much longer. Sega can't afford to make things that aren't Sonic, and Sonic is starting to give diminishing returns.

What does that have to do with anything?

>Pac-Man
>Timeless

>Pac-Man
They still make Pac-Man shit?

Just barely made it.

Autistic manbabies

From a design standpoint. Excluding a certain CGI cartoon, Pac-Man was never made with the intent to cash in on pop-culture trends.

On the other hand, that's all Sega ever does with the Sonic series. It's the 90's? WOW! SO COOL DUDE! RADICAL! FUCK AUTHORITY! SKATE OR DIE! Goth/Emo culture on the rise at the turn of the millenium? Better add a tough-as-nails, brooding, unfeeling hedgehog to the scene!

Sonic defined that 90s attitude though, not the other way around. It was the outstanding popularity of the character and game that crafted the large slew of imitators.

Are you sure it wasn't the increasing rise of hip-hop, skateboarding, and celebrities/musicians endorsing the "fuck the police" attitude that made rebel kids admire them?

Sonic is timeless...there is always a market for "the rebel" archetype, Sonic may personify the 90s but it is not a new concept

Sonic is a character archetype that has always existed and always will, the one who says fuck you to what you parents or older siblings liked, the one who takes something boring and turns it into something more exciting

Bart Simpson in this way had a more great influence i thinks.

I wanna say you're right, the rebel never dies, even old quotes from Greek men tell about how children disrespect their elders. Yet at the same time, we had a character like that recently who bombed hard with kids, while a lot of cartoons about "loving your family/friends" seems to be at an all-time high right now.

>I wasn't alive when Sonic came out so I don't know how big a deal he was back then
>I'll just shit on him all the same
The post.

>toys came first
>actually thinking this

>Mario and Pac-Man are literally timeless and the greatest things ever they have done no wrong! ^_^
>FUCKING SONIC THAT FUCKING AUTISTIC FURFAG HE'S JUST A MARKETING SCHEME AND HE'S EDGY AND HE BELONGS IN THE PAST

>Egoraptor

Sonic's design is brilliant, he just looks really fucking great. The first kind of contact you make with Sonic will probably be visual, making it appealing from the 1st second.