Bad Marketing

What are some movies that were marketed like if they were a certain kind of movie but they were another completly different thing?
I can think of Crimson Peak for example, which was promoted as a horror movie but it was more of a gothic romance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JzYllBpl-9I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Marketed as a psychological thriller but was really a comic book movie

>trailer markets it as a high-octane action movie where Neeson fights wolves
>is actually a fairly cerebral survival thriller where they're running from wolves most of the film

Remember The Lure, that Polish thing about mermaids

On the right is the Polish poster

>The talking kangaroo only appears for a brief dream sequence

Blackhat, they sold it as an action movie with thor in it...

Yeah, number of people who took their children to see Chappie, thinking that it is new Johnny 5, must have been quite high.

They made the right call with this one.

Lots of people probably wouldn't have bothered with it if it was marketed as a romance. I know I only went to see it because it looked spooky and Del Taco was behind it.

youtube.com/watch?v=JzYllBpl-9I
To be fair, I wouldn't know how to market this movie, but it seems pretty cruel to present a movie about a pedophile rapist as a light hearted mid 90s romcom.

It was a fun movie but what were the pollacks thinking with that dollar-bin poster?

>They made the right call with this one.
>Lots of people probably wouldn't have bothered with it if it was marketed as a romance. I know I only went to see it because it looked spooky and Del Taco was behind it.

this
They got a few shekels out of me because I thought it would be spoopy. If I knew it was a gothic romance I would not have bothered. Their mistake was having that big of a budget for a gothic romance and still having box office poison for stars.

Go watch it and do a shot every time they say g'day mate.

RIP

Most of these are examples of good marketing. By lying about the product they got far more people to go see them than if they had been honest.

Ita more of misleading marketink than bad one.
I can also think of Let thw Right one In, which was marketed as a horror movie too.
There are tons of non horror movies marketed as one now that I think of it

Bridge to Terabithia
>tfw the trailer made it look like another Naria cash in

it's even more hilarious when 5 minutes into the movie Mia literally spells it out loud to the audience that "It's not a ghost story, it's a story with ghosts in it"

But Chappie was literally that.
Just a very confused robot.

>fantasy movie about monsters and sheeit
>just market me as a generic slasher film senpai

More like a comic book movie if it was framed as a family based drama

What

How did they get away with that?

it's both

The absolute madmen