Why didn't they just give Her the ring?

Why didn't they just give Her the ring?

for the reasons she said right there in that scene

Give me a quick rundown on Elrond's tax policy

In place of the Dark Lord, you would have a Queen, not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Dawn. Treacherous as the Sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth...all would love her and despair!

>I'm going to turn into an amazon devil goddess and rape the world
Yeah what's the downside again?

>Frodo offers her the ring
>She thinks about it for a bit
>Decides she doesn't want it

That's why

She was already OP. Easily the most powerful Elf still in Middle Earth.

She'd turn into a dominating ultra-druid. She would see to every living creature shitting its collective pants in terrific awe of her presence. She'd end up enslaving middle earth just as horrifically as Sauron.

Tolkien did not expect internet autists to actually want to get raped by Ring-Galadriel.

IMO give the ring to the Balrog, it's a servant of Morgoth, not Sauron and it has no idea what to do with the ring and still wants to get the damn Hobbits off its lawn and go back to sleep.

That's a terrible idea. The balrog would just become Sauron 2.0. I mean Sauron was a servant of Morgoth too

Nope, the Balrog has 0 ring lore, he doesnt know shit about it.

Lesser beings are driven by the ring to bring it to Sauron but the Balrog is a creature just like Sauron.

Unlike Gandalf and Galadriel the Balrog has no desire but to sleep until his boss returns.

The ring is a trap meant to entice the bearer. It will lead to anyone but sauron's destruction. And also Sauroman would be the best candidate for Sauron's successor.

The Balrog would either end up losing the ring or Sauron would come and take it.

That's if it has no effect on him ... I don't know the answer to that.

Balrogs are Maiar so if Gandalf is at risk for corruption then they would be too. Demigod status doesn't save you.

>the most powerful ring yadda yadda
>it makes you invisible while giving you a massive headache
>that's it

what the fuck is this shit

The Balrog already has a master, a few steps higher up than Sauron, his corruption predates the singing of the music of creation.

>I have come to claim my ring flame of Udun!
>*SPLAT*

LMAO'd at this scene, it looked so fucking stupid.

The Balrog is a Maia - just like Sauron, Gandalf and Saruman. It's not just some stupid brute that's not going to see the ring's inherent power or just carry the ring around without using it, saving it for Melkor on the off chance he comes back. And it's not going to go and sheepishly deliver it to Sauron either.

The Balrog is easily powerful enough to use the ring to rise above Sauron's weakened form and corrupt / destroy all of Middle Earth on its own, starting with a powerful Orc army coming from the Misty Mountains.

It gives you powers according to your abilities and capabilities.

A sufficiently powerful use of the ring wouldn't be made invisible if they didn't want to be

Balrog are literally the same category of being as Sauron, just less powerful
And they have the same master

seriously this is not hard

>It's not just some stupid brute

That's precisely what it is, it's a tool for Melkor to destroy the world, when Melkor ruled the Balrogs did not get their own kingdoms or fiefdoms like Sauron to play with because they care not about domination, only destruction.

>A sufficiently powerful use of the ring
user*

Gentlemen, if I may.

This argument about Balrogs won't go anywhere.

Silmarillion-era Balrogs (thousands of them used as footsoldiers in First Age armies fighting elves) were portrayed differently to the LOTR Balrog who comes across as more formidable

Everything was stronger in the First Age. The Moria Balrog would have just been another normal member of Morgoth's army back then

I would give anything to give Lady Galadriel the one ring and have her dominate me forever

What the fuck was this guy's problem?

Why not just give Frodo the ring?

Biggest shitlord ever.

Because she would have turned all negative like.

>be Feanor
>make the most beautiful gems ever in all of existence
>so beautiful Satan himself comes to steal them
>get mad, swear the most terrible oath that will ever be sworn in the history of the world
>former allies and friends are like "cool down bro, you're not thinking straight"
>kill them and steal their boats
>cross the ocean, get to the other side and burn the boats because this train has no brakes
>takes my entire people on a rampage all the way to the gates of Angband
>personally fight my way so deep into the enemy ranks I end up soloing nine Balrogs at once
>finally get struck down by Gothmog, lord of Balrogs
>my (many) children carry my dying body from the battlefield
>make them swear they nor their children nor their children's children will rest until we get those fucking gems
>set fire and blow away as ashes on the breeze as I die because of how FUCKING ANGRY I AM

He didnt get to fugg Galadriel.

They weren't Maiar when Tolkien was writing the First Age stuff. I'll copy paste some wiki for you:

>Tolkien's conception of Balrogs changed over time. In all his early writing, they are numerous. A host of a thousand of them is mentioned in the Quenta Silmarillion,[11] while at the storming of Gondolin Balrogs in the hundreds ride on the backs of the Dragons.[12] They are roughly of twice[13] human size,[14] and were occasionally killed in battle by Elves and Men.[15] They were fierce demons, associated with fire, armed with fiery whips of many thongs and claws like steel, and Morgoth delighted in using them to torture his captives.[16] They were loyal to Morgoth, and once came out of hiding to save him from capture.

>In the published version of The Lord of the Rings, however, Balrogs became altogether more sinister and more powerful. Christopher Tolkien notes the difference, saying that in earlier versions they were "less terrible and certainly more destructible". He quotes a very late margin note[17] that was not incorporated into the text saying "at most seven" ever existed;[18] though in the Annals of Aman, written as late as 1958, after the publication of The Lord of the Rings, Melkor still commands "a host of Balrogs".[19] In later writings they ceased to be creatures, but are instead Maiar, lesser Ainur like Gandalf or Sauron, spirits of fire whom Melkor had corrupted before the creation of the World.[3] Power of the order of Gandalf's was necessary to destroy them,[20] and as Maiar, only their physical forms could be destroyed.

Why would he have? She was his niece or some shit.

You forgot
>insult Satan so hard the insult becomes his new name for eternity

Kind of like Satan, right?

Nowhere has it ever been said that Balrogs aren't intelligent. None of the Maia are stupid. It's true that Balrogs are not naturally ambitious on their own, and have been in hiding since the loss of their master Morgoth, but the Ring itself would give them that drive and aspiration for power just like it would for Gandalf or Galadriel (even though she is just an elf and is weaker than any Maia). The ring itself would be the thing that makes the Balrog into a leader on its own

He still wanted to.

That is because bitches don't know what they want.
"If I had the ring I would be a mighty queen!"
"Here take it."
"Nevermind I changed my mind. Keep the ring."

Gonna need a citation on that. From what I gather from the Silmarillion, Feanor didn't give a fuck about his brothers or their kids.

so how hard did Feanor rage in the halls when Galadriel finally gave some of her hair to a stinkin' dwarf?

>Galadriel will never go full dark mode and force you to eat her elven asshole while she squeezes your balls

sauron was initially a servant of aule, so not quite the same.

Wait, Balrogs are actually Maia?...I guess that makes sense, since it seemed to be almost equal with Gandalf...mind blown.

I always liked that little bit of info. Aule being the Artificer of the Valar and Sauron being one of his Maiar before Melkor seduced him away basically meant that after Melkor's imprisonment, Sauron concocting the rings of power was the existential crisis version of him coming home to momma when it came to jobs.

the Balrog WAS equal to Gandalf the Grey

remember that Gandalf died in the process of killing the Balrog and had to be revived as Gandalf the White

she was already crazy powerful without it

yeah, i tend to enjoy tidbits like this the most. one of my favorites is how after aule got to keep the dwarves yavanna got her own ent children in return.

The Balrog basically cashed out his magical bank account for more spending money

Gandalf still had funds in the bank and was earning interest on it to come back.

It would have corrupted her into a feminist.

That proposal is no different than the suggestions given during the Council of Elrond to just hide it indefinitely by throwing it into the Sea or giving it to Bombadil. Proposals like that were all rejected because it is pointed out that Sauron will win any war of attrition even without the Ring.

They have to destroy the Ring. Keeping it from Sauron isn't enough because even without it he wins.

Galadriel is not that powerful. She's still just an elf, albeit an extremely wise and intelligent one. She's also a master telepath / mind reader and a brilliant strategist, and is probably very good at fighting (like all powerful elves). But that's all.

>giving a hobit the ring
>giving a four foot human the ring

Now how is she gonna reach my balls while I'm eating her asshole use your brain user

What is the best story in the Silmarillion?
I'd go with The Children of Húrin.

The Ring is really fucking powerful, retard. She could probably do that in a number of different ways.

Why didn't they just give the ring to Denethor?

WHY not give the ring to the elves, Arwen, to take it to the Undying lands?

Why does the ring make you invisible anyway?

Just seemed like plot armour to me

This is actually a good point. The Valar could certainly destroy it.

Supposedly they don't want to get involved in mortal affairs anymore but bringing a piece of Sauron back might be a gray area.

>Assemble the accountants at Dunharrow, as many actuaries as can be found, you have two days
>On the third, we file our taxes

Really moving scene.

If you were an elf would you rather live under Elrond or Galadriel?

Dude, she's a First Age Elf, she's stupidly powerful. She could have bent Elrond over a table and fucked him with a futa dick at will. The only thing in Middle Earth she was scared of was Sauron himself because he outclassed her in power. She wasn't one of the chump Elves like Legolas or his dad, she was on a level an order above them, being of Valinor.

Why didn't they just give the ring to Sauron?

Also, do they ever explain what happens when the ring is destroyed? Does middle earth become a utopia? What happens to the Orcs and the other evil creatures in Sauron's army?

Actually wasn't that Fingolfin?

she's obviously evil

Galadriel
She seems like she gives it to anyone.

>Why didn't they just give X the Ring?

Because literally no one can use it but Sauron. You can put it on, disappear into the spirit realm or whatever, but as to actually using the Ring for it's intended purpose (dominate all Middle Earth) it'll tell you to fuck off.

Sauron designed it solely for his own use. If anyone of power actually got thier hands on it, the Ring would just drive them insane a la Gollum and wait until one of Sauron's croonies came by to fetch it

Aragorn is crowned the King of Men. The evil creatures scatter as far as they can get while being hunted down and purged.
No, Feanor coined the Morgoth name after the Silmarils got jacked. Fingolfin was who dueled Melkor and stabbed him 7 times and chopped off his foot before being crushed.

Galadriel. I want her to make me her submissive bitch slave.

elrond, i get to see subhumanoids from other races come and dance for my pleasure. also maybe rape arwen if i'm bored.

Why didn't the Valar just send a smaller army to fuck Sauron up?

>hobbits are small and sneaky creatures according to lore
>Frodo and Bilbo both had little to no combat experience
>ring enhances the hobbits' ability to be hidden by turning them invisible

It would be interesting to see what the ring would be like in the hands of someone other than a hobbit.

Elrond. Galadriel's home is to much hippy for me.

TIME STANDS STILL AT THE IRON HILL

is the Silmarillion worth reading?

Why didn't they give the ring to Sam, the only being in history that was able to withstand the power of the ring and thus the most powerful being in Middle-earth?

yes, if you read the lotr and liked it. or if you're interested in world-building and mythology in general. or if you want to be fascinated by how much one man can come up with in terms of content, from fictional languages to religion to history to culture.

Just don't read the making of the world. Literally twenty pages of singing.
Yeah, Turin was the best.

If she is sitting on your face reverse cowgirl style, she can do it easily.

It's good if you like Tolkien's writing style and want some backstory on everything. It's essentially Book of Genesis for Middle Earth

>possessed the ring for like, a day, tops
>WOW HE MUST BE INCORRUPTIBLE

Ring simply didnt have the time to start pulling Sam down. Though iirc the Ring tried tempting Sam with a vision of him becoming Lord of Plants or something since he loved gardening so much, but Sam just scoffed at the offer

What is the Ring's size? Does it scale to it's owner, or what?

twenty pages takes what, fifteen, twenty minutes tops to read? let the dude read the whole thing.

They refuse to enter Middle Earth and directly affect the fate of mortals there. Morgoth was apparently the only threat great enough to warrant interference and they probably won't again until the end of the world.

Like the user said though, I don't see any reason why some elf can't just bring the Ring back to Valinor. It could be viewed as just reigning in a rogue Maia without directly breaking their non-interference policy.

Allegedly. Yes

I assume Sauron's finger is twice the size of Frodos

>Why didn't they just give Her the ring?
She didn't want it.

Did the one ring turn everyone invisible? I've heard that it only turns Hobbits invis because they're small and unnoticed - but also it's less like they're invisible and more like they're transfered into the spirit realm? What would happen if a dwarf wore it?

>Allegedly
Its shown in the text of the novels, and on screen that it changes size.

it scales.

one day at the height of sauron's post-revival power very near sauron himself. seeing as how it instantly warped the likes of galadriel and corrupted those like boromir merely by being around them it's still no small feat. i agree with you though, this does not necessarily mean sam is incorruptible and frodo was the bearer.

>possessed the ring for like, a day, tops
So? More powerful beings like Gandalf and Galadriel were afraid to even touch it, because they thought it would tempt them immediately. Time has nothing to do with it.

Tolkien considered her one of the most powerful elves to have ever lived, for some reason.

>Did the one ring turn everyone invisible?
no depending on your race it has different effects but a powerful enough user could become invisible if they wanted to in addition to whatever other powers it gave them.

The film showed it shrinking down right after Isilldur cut it from Sauron's hand

>I don't see any reason why some elf can't just bring the Ring back to Valinor. It could be viewed as just reigning in a rogue Maia without directly breaking their non-interference policy.

Sounds like a bad idea to me. What if the Valar decide it's not their problem? What if they say "this is what we sent the 5 maiar (wizards) over to Middle-Earth to resolve"? What if they point out that they don't want to damage the existing elven kingdoms in Middle-Earth (which destroying the ring would do)?

Because if they DON'T destroy the ring, then Middle-Earth is doomed because Sauron is winning without the ring. He doesn't need it to win, he's winning the war slowly anyway. The good guys need to destroy the ring to survive. The Valar have ALREADY helped them by sending the wizards.

That one day was enough to get him a pass to the Undying Lands to be with his boyfriend.

Also, didn't Bilbo give the ring up freely? After possessing it for several decades? Maybe they should have just Bilbo keep the ring.

Age->Wisdom~>Power
And she's a ring-bearer.
That covers the extent of her power.

I've noticed that LotR threads are some of the best threads on Sup Forums i wonder why.

We all know she's powerful during the 3rd age, but he considered her Feanor level from the start. And Feanor level seems too much for her really.

because of the lore. you're really getting a microcosm of /lit/

Not everyone turns invisible, we see that when Sauron and Isildur wear it. In the books it says it magnifies the wearer's power. So the Hobbits are really good at sneaking and going unnoticed, the ring just makes it so powerful they are literally invisible. If someone like Aragorn were to wear it I bet he would be nigh unkillable in combat. Gandalf's magic would probably be fucking wacky.