Moana thread

This is why we have
animal films. No one bitched about clawhauser.

theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/27/disney-depiction-of-obese-polynesian-god-in-film-moana-sparks-anger

He's not obese though. He looks pretty bearmode.

I thought it was obligatory for all males remotely related to Hawaii to look like Israel Kamakawiwo.

This. Dude is strongfat.

>Isoa Kavakimotu, a Tongan New Zealand man who identifies with being “a pretty big guy” created a YouTube video on the controversy, saying he had no problem with Disney’s Maui.
>“a pretty big guy”

don't they know a god can take any form they choose?
casuals, complaining about shit they don't know about

for you.

As a Clawhauserfag, this isn't obese. Clawhauser is obese. This is muscelchub at worst, thick and fit ant best.

Is the level of public awareness really that low? Look at any strongman, dude looks "fat" because underneath that fuel for muscles is MUSCLES

People want to argue about fucking nothing.

This has to be a bunch of white people making a fuss. Everyone knows Polynesians are big as fuck. Especially Samoans and Maois. Look at the Polynesians pro wrestlers and NFL players there have been. All big strong fat fuckers.
If this were a fat girl as a main character these faggots would be applauding Disney but since the male lead isn't the ideal pretty boy they're losing their shit.

>This has to be a bunch of white people making a fuss.
It is. The polynesian designer told basically told her to shut the fuck up

>If this were a fat girl as a main character these faggots would be applauding Disney but since the male lead isn't the ideal pretty boy they're losing their shit.
I'm sad because I know you are completely right.

That explains a lot.
Given how he doesn't even look fat. There are no rolls or anything. Its all big beefy muscle.

My high school has a fair Togan population and we're a big part of the football team. Fuckers are huge and strong.

If the internet was shut off all of these idiots would have nowhere to complain because no newspaper would waste ink on this bullshit.

This is what happens when you include minorities in your films at any level. Activist groups come out of the woodwork to complain about it regardless of the choices made.

Ebony magazine declared Princess and the Frog to be "racist" a year before it even came out. Their reasons were that Randy Newman was white, the Prince was white (so he was made generic brown), and also "Maddie" is a racist name (which is why it was changed).

You can never please minorities. It's best just not to include them.

He's the size of a samoan rugby player or wrestler , and those guys are fast as fuck

>“This depiction of Maui being obese is typical American stereotyping. Obesity is a new phenomena because of the first world food that’s been stuffed down our throat.”
>stuffed down our throats
The evil white man/western society shit again. No one is making you eat fat food. No one held you down and made you eat McDonald's and KFC. This exaggeration to excuse poor life choices is disgusting no matter who it is from and even more so when you try to drag a children's cartoon character into it.

or just ignore them entirely and let themselves look like retards. but yeah, American companies are too receptive to bloggers who'll probably just stream or pirate thier movies anyway

That's because these fat bitches want to self-insert as a fat bitch that still gets the hot guy.

This makes me like the character even more because cry babies hate him so much.

Why would you give your first black princess a white prince though? Gotta spread some black love before going interracial.

I want to see some bearmode guys coming out and protesting their lack of representation in Disney films, but they wont because they tend to have self esteem.

>You can never please minorities.
Did you even read the fucking article? How is Ebony fucking magazine the voice for entire race? It's obvious they don't all feel that way.

Where were the Scottish Representation Activists when Brave came out and portrayed all Scotsmen as violent, stupid, slovenly, sexist morons?

So it's only okay for a white character to be fat and strong?

Those people are racist.

There's lots of us who appreciate it and aren't bitching. I can't control everybody who's the same race as me.

They bitched about the name and the guy being too light but nothing about the main villain being a shucking and jiving voodoo witch doctor.
They cherry pick the issues but let other shit that is more offensive slide.

I'm one and I don't give a shit. I just crush all my problems between my pecs and my "fat" arms.

To be fair the Princess and the Frog did suck.

It is harder to eat healthy when you're poor, and a lot of Polynesians are poor as fuck

because Scots are a pansy bunch of welfare fags, of course they would like thier shitty non country to be portrayed as badass.

Maybe because the shucking and jiving witch doctor was cool as fuck.

This will always be the issue with trying to be PC and please whiners. They cry about not being represented then when you represent them they cry that it's not the representation they wanted.
This is a weird one because most people have no idea who and what a Polynesian is or where Polynesia is.
Disney is doing you a service exposing people around the world to your culture and you have a fit because the mythological god is too fat for your liking.

Also worth noting , the majority of Rock's family are 300 plus pound giants with freakish athleticism

Everyone is fucking poor in some aspect. Eating $5 combo meal and being poor still doesn't mean you're being forced to consume that type of food.

>Where were the Scottish Representation Activists when Brave came out and portrayed all Scotsmen as violent, stupid, slovenly, sexist morons?

>Portray a Scotsman as greedy, heartless, shifty and mean, no one gives a shit.
>Portray a Jew as greedy, heartless, shifty and mean, ohhhhhhh holy shit the world will end

So why is it okay to present Scottish people as miserly tightwads, but not Jews?

Remove Roman

Of course they're not forced to, but when they can spend $50 on food instead of $100 on a $200 weekly budget, why wouldn't they?

Because its evil witch doctors are a thing. Had a classmate who's grandma who practiced voodoo and she put curses on ppl and shit. You should read up on this stuff, its pretty cool.

yeah like I figure the Rock would charm his way into getting anything actually offensive removed

If I wanted to read made up nonsense I'd read the bible

one hasn't been used for 2000 years to justify and institutionalize bigotry

also Scrooge is a positive character.

I believe there WERE complaints about the voodoo magic, but I don't remember if it was directed towards the villain or the godmother character.

(you)

Oh I'm Kirby tier baby

>thinking Jewish people are currently an oppressed and underrepresented minority.

Oh shit son, you goin' Turbo Retard, now!

I saw this coming, Disney made Maui too fucking ugly.

They could had made him look closer to the Rock.

Don't pacific islanders view being fat as a good thing?

"The Navy forced us all to eat Spam when they militarized our islands!" said no Samoan ever.

But he said Americans not white people, what's with this victim complex that you fucks and those other dumb fucks have?

>bitchy fucks who get pissy over a fucking disney movie.

>I saw this coming, Disney made Maui too fucking ugly.

Bingo. They also made his proportions look too cartoony compared to the others—if you shrank him to half Moana's height, he could pass for her chubby, five year old bratty little brother, because his head to body ratio look more appropriate for a child in her world.

That's Mexican people I believe.

>Look at the Polynesians pro wrestlers and NFL players there have been.
Look at fucking statistics. How do you get the fattest people in the world? Take Samoans and make them American.

>If this were a fat girl as a main character these faggots would be applauding Disney but since the male lead isn't the ideal pretty boy they're losing their shit.

I kind of get the Randy Newman thing. I don't really mind his work but you have to be really fucking lazy to decide to use him in that movie.

Because Jews run the entertainment industry

>Roman is the only one in that picture that nobody likes
>all because of shitty bullshit writers

I miss the Shield

>I kind of get the Randy Newman thing. I don't really mind his work but you have to be really fucking lazy to decide to use him in that movie.

The reason Ebony cited had nothing to do with the quality of Newman's music, but because he was white. It had to do with a larger "problem" ebony had that there were too many white people working on the movie in general. They felt that a movie starring a black Princess should be made entirely by black people.

WHY DOES HE WEAR THE TATS?

Probably some religious significance.

I'm a black guy tho.

>This is what happens when you include minorities in your films at any level. Activist groups come out of the woodwork to complain about it regardless of the choices made.

If minorities put as much effort into getting jobs and contributing to society as they do complaining and moving goal posts, then maybe they wouldn't be so marginalized and resented.

And I also sort of get that part when it comes to music. I mean it's New damn Orleans, can't you bother getting one of the 9000 black musicians that would be a better fit for more than one reason?
Like, you know, not getting tons of black animators because of dumb quotas is fine, but if there's one thing where African-Americans are culturally significant, it is music.
I mean, if they hire base on artistic talent, they'll probably end up with a mostly white crew like it happened, but there's no damn reason to take Randy damn Newman over the tons of black musicians that are not only better than him but also much better fits with the atmosphere of that movie.

>frozen veggies and rice
>frozen meat or soy for proteins
>saltines and peanut butter for those midnight cravings
There you go. Most staples from around the world are made with cheap, easily accessible ingredients. If youre in place without those either move or stop pumping out more people

That makes sense, you want people to bring in personal experience and understandings to projects that they can possibly offer. Especially if there is a degree of touching on race like Princess and the Frog did, even something as minuscule as capturing New Orleans culture accurately. That's not to say "no white people allowed" but having a movie set in New Orleans with hints of jazzy music being the soundtrack's theme, wouldn't you want someone more in tune with that scene than Randy "Sing About What Is Happening Internally In This Scene" Newman?

>I mean it's New damn Orleans, can't you bother getting one of the 9000 black musicians that would be a better fit for more than one reason?
Randy Newman is by far the most famous modern musician from New Orleans.

>he thinks frozen food is healthy

>Disney Princess movie
>Controversy

Pick two.

>Randy Newman
>From New Orleans
>He doesn't count because he's white and should there for be excluded from consideration.

You are the one who is racist.

daily reminder that Moana will NEVER EVER be as popular and do as well as Frozen or Zootopia.

>Randy Newman is by far the most famous modern musician from New Orleans.

Yeah he's so New Orleans that he was born, left for a while as a kid, and came back and started his career in Los Angeles.

No one here is calling anyone racist.

>daily reminder that Moana will NEVER EVER be as popular and do as well as Frozen or Zootopia.

I think what people forget is that most of the worldwide box office doesn't respond well to movies starring brown people. They don't make much money in Europe and are ESPECIALLY ignored in Asian territories.

Like that movie Red Tails. It fuckin FLOPPED internationally because no one outside of the US (and arguable few people within the US) want to see a movie starring brown people acting like brown people.

It's just a fact of life. Moana is a "prestige" film, meant to look progressive and timely but calculated to make a loss at the international box office.

9000 black musicians or not. Most of them wouldn't know how to compose music for a blockbuster hollywood film which is a big task. Randy Newman has years of composing and working in the music and movie industry under his belt. And he enlisted black singers and musicians to aid him in making the soundtrack.
People who believe someone should be given a job due to their skin color instead of their merit or experience that's racism and bigotry. The very thing left leaning people tend fight against.

>Newman was born in Los Angeles, the son of Adele "Dixie" (Fox) (August 30, 1916 – October 4, 1988), a secretary, and Irving George Newman (November 28, 1913 – February 1, 1990), an internist.[5] He lived in New Orleans as a small child and spent summers there until he was 11 years old, his family having by then returned to Los Angeles.
PatF wasn't set in modern times and Newman's music isn't representative of historical New Orleans style music.

Also Birdman is more famous.

At first look, I thought, why did they gave such a large female character so flat of a chest?

>People who believe someone should be given a job due to their skin color instead of their merit or experience that's racism and bigotry. The very thing left leaning people tend fight against.

It doesn't count when it's aimed at white people.

No, I'm not being facetious. That's what they actually believe. The whole Racism = Discrimination + Institutional Authority meme. Therefor, black people cannot by definition be racists.

Maybe not. But I'm still happy that it is made.
I'd much rather watch a movie involving non-whites when they use their own cultures and legends for inspiration instead of turning white characters black.

The point was that he didn't particularly have merit there. Many movie composers exist, many are better than him (although admittedly not a lot of them are black).
I didn't say it was the worst choice ever, just lazy, as in "let's get that guy who's worked for us a lot before". You could also call it safe or unimaginative.

You're responding to a strawman with another strawman.

Those opinions do exist, nobody here has expressed them.

Disney is a multimedia company that can afford taking a risk such as hiring a more or less unknown composer to work on their film, especially if its to add authenticity like they are now with Moana's character designer. No one is saying Randy doesn't have merit (barring criticism of his work) but for a movie that Disney was proudly presenting as their first step to an inclusive and "progressive" future like featuring their first Black Princess, it's kind of lazy to rely on the same old tired composers and so on due to seniority and not try and start some new blood going up. Stale traditions are what even held back PatF in reviews ironically (what with the funny animal sidekicks and prince plot instead of what people found compelling like Tiana's work to try and start her own business.)

>People who believe someone should be given a job due to their skin color instead of their merit or experience that's racism and bigotry.

No one is arguing that, they're just offering alternatives especially since in hindsight, all this hindered the film. Stop getting overly defensive.

>The Guardian

who fucking cares

Angry brown people

>Polynesian Lives Matter

Check your privilege.

None of you are POC so you have no right to have an opinion on this

>"Maddie" is a racist name

I wonder how black women named Maddie felt reading that, or how parents that named their children Maddie felt about it. Or if they wouldn't have written that if someone named Maddie was on their team. Maddie is short for Madeline which is a fine name. I always thought Tiana was a shitty name that sounds like somebody made it up out of nothing for no reason than it sounds vaguely black and ethnic, and I've always hated weird ebonics names like that, but at least I can admit that's more a matter of personal preference. Also Tiana really doesn't sound like a name you'd find someone giving their kid in that region in the early 1900s.

They aren't the Chinese so they don't matter a lick to Disney.

>None of you are POC so you have no right to have an opinion on this

And yet every minority is allowed to have an opinion on white people.

Hmmmmm...

>"haha get it, this is how those people act xD"

Boring. Anyways the article is dumb and the big guy is ripped. Is anyone expecting this to bomb or to fly charts somehow?

>the big guy is ripped
>ripped
That word does mean what you think it means

>ripped

You mean swole, user.

Shit you're right, my bad.

If you don't know the difference between "ripped" and "swole" then you probably aren't either of those things.

You're probably also a pussy.

Yeah, probably,

Anyways, I dunno, Zootopia was meant to be the side movie that was meant to get out early and move on for the main event (this) but after Finding Dory, would people be willing to go out and watch it after the inevitable reviews comparing the two? History has proved that usually Pixar's fares get the fortunes skewed to their side.

What I'm saying is will this at least be as successful as Zootopia? Pls no "Zootopia is the most gr9 movie so no" tier posts, I liked that movie but itd be nice if people think objectively for a second.

Whoa calm down bad
All that testosterone is going to get all over your floor.

>There are over 35 unique IPs in this thread that are too stupid to know that The Guardian is balls off the walls retarded

Zootopia is the most gr9 movie so no