Pretty Deadly - Jordie Bellaire Colour Analysis

Hey guys,

My latest 'Strip Panel Naked' video is up, looking at two things Jordie Bellaire does in the first issue of Pretty Deadly.

The first is how she uses a limited colour palette in the same scene, and adjusts and adds colours in it for effect, and the second is linking a colour to a theme to add subtext throughout the book.

The video is here: youtube.com/watch?v=Ua92kh38wbM

Would love to hear any thoughts, discussion or feedback!

I'm not interested in the content, but you've presented it in a very professional manner. Keep it up bud :)

>she uses a limited colour palette

Jordie Bellaire is a woman?

Learn something new everyday!

Haha - yeah it wasn't something I realised until I researched after Moon Knight! That's what the channel's there for though, to teach and learn :P

Thanks man :)

>a Sup Forumsmrade being useful
>a/co/mrade knowing shit about comics
Weird.

I'm glad there's people who can make good Sup Forums content like this and Kaptainkristian.

What kind of theory books have you read for your comic knowledge? You bring up that purple book, but what else is there? Besides the Scott McCloud books, obviously.

Thanks dude.

To be honest it's mostly film theory books. But the big one in terms of comics that gets forgotten a lot is Alan Moore's On Writing Comics I think it was called. It's like a reprint of some essays on comics writing Moore did years ago through Avatar press (if I remember right), and I always thought it was a really interested read. It's much more theory than practical based.

This is great. Reminds me of Every Frame A Painting but for comics. Presentation is very good and your voice doesn't make me want to kill myself. Looks like you've done your videos on more mainstream stuff right now, any plans on venturing into alt/underground stuff?

>it's mostly film theory books
It is interesting how so many of those resources can be used for comics. Probably because there's a lack of sound focus for films, unless it's rudimentary stuff. I'll have to track down the Moore essays.

Please do good comics in the future.

Last time you made a thread, I recommended you do some Hellboy, or other Mignola art. Did you ever finish reading Hellboy in Hell?

Your channel is currently my favorite. Won me since the Shalvey analysis, keep up the good work.

Also, have a waifu.

>Hellboy in Hell
Not OP, but I feel like I just don't get anyone's hype about this book. It's not close to Mignolas best.

Pretty good video op.

I agree that its not his absolute best work, but it was an awesome ending for hellboy and the elements he used on the last three or so pages were really great.

Hass, in the previous thread you mentioned that you read Lumberjanes. Now I read the first trade and...I don't get it. And so far all the book's advocates haven't being able to sell the book to me (and their pitch pretty much always boils down to "it's good representation" which is nice and all and I sympathize with that but that doesn't matter to me personally). If anyone can illuminate what's supposedly so good about the book, I'd imagine it would be you.

Most people seem to agree that the book is shit.

Lumberjanes was storytimed here like last summer and I found it just really bland. Not awful, just bland. It felt like something from a young adults section

>My latest ____
You can't advertise your own stuff on Sup Forums, it's against the site's global rules. You have to have "found this neat thing" while shopping online for buttplugs or something.

At least he's not spamming it which seems to be the reason for the rule.

There are several reasons for the rule. The rule still stands, though. To post, you should at least know the rules, and pretend to follow them. Posting "Hey, I made this, like it on twitterbookboxface+" along with a youtube link is unacceptable whether spamming or not.

Reading it and it being good aren't synonymous friendo.

I absolutely agree with you anons, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask for another perspective on it, at least one that isn't just MUH REPRESENTATION

Maybe something on Love & Rockets and Harvey Pekar (both on my long list of stuff to tackle) but honestly I haven't read much underground stuff apart from British small press comics.

I did. It's a hell of a thing to unpack though. I haven't read Hellboy in a while and the book is clearly fI'll if references, so I'm going back through some more to get a better sense of it.

Right so Lumberjanes to me is just silly fun. I don't think there's much more to it to he honest. Someone mentioned it's like YA stories and it is. It reminds me of the kind of stuff I used to watch when I was a kid. That like Powerpuff Girls kind of silliness to it.

Storytime?

You should do something for the valentine run on Catwoman or the Felipe Smith ghost Rider.

I like that the only good comics analysis channel on YouTube comes straight from Sup Forums. Keep up the good work, man.

Get fucked, cunt. This guy is doing more for comics discussion then most people here ever have. Or would you prefer another WHO HAS STAN LEE KILLED NOW or BENDIS HATE thread?

It's not like he's doing it for profit anyway.

Great work, Hass!
As a cartoonist, your videos are extremely useful. Not many comic youtube channels out there that provide content for creators as well as readers.
Keep it up!

Another one of those times where I've not read it! Any suggestions on a particular arc/issue?

I currently have $16 on my Patreon, which buys me a few beers during the editing!

Thanks man - glad they're helping. This is a cheap plug but I'm doing a sort of research dump on my Patreon on videos starting from this one. So at the moment there's a bit of content about how colourists style has changed, and some more in-depth look at the adjusted pages I put into this video, and various other bits and bobs. Hoping it can become a kind of braindump resource for each of these themes.

First issue of Ghost Rider is pretty much the "prettiest" of the first arc, I'd stay away from arc 2 unless you want to compare rotating artist changes, lol.
Catwoman has 2 or 3 trades as mob boss of Gotham, but I cant remember any stand out art issues, its very consistent from what I can remember.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have to know and follow the global rules. Saying "let's talk about this" instead of "I made this" is not difficult, and prevents sycophantry. It works on the same principle as the age restriction. You have to claim to be 18+, because people who won't even do that much are not going to make quality posts. You have to not advertise your shit, because we don't want Sup Forums to be free adspace for hipsters and companies. Plus he does stand to profit from people being more aware of his work.

The first arc of All New Ghost Rider is called Engines of Vengeance and is a really good showcase of Tradd Moore's style. He doesn't stick to the Marvel house style, and he just goes all out.
Catwoman might be a bit too similar to your limited color analysis, but it probably does other things in there too. The start of that arc is Vol 6 Keeper of the Castle.

>shilling yourself on Sup Forums