So it was said in Watchmen was that none of them, apart from Manhattan, had any actual superpowers

So it was said in Watchmen was that none of them, apart from Manhattan, had any actual superpowers.

But then how was Veidt able to achieve the feats that he did? Kicking an adult man so hard that he flies backwards like 30 feet would put such an exert at your leg that it would tear your muscles and break the bones in your leg.
And lets not even talk about catching a bullet.

"Peak human condition", yeah right.

That's the problem with superhero movies. By default they all have great strength and durability. I mean look at marvel movies,even the hero without super powers can survive being rammed in the wall so hard it breaks and continue fighting.

He was supposed to be the absolute apex of humanity. A benevolent model of mental and physical perfection.

He basically successfully installs himself as humanity's god in the end, for better or for worse.

Originally, Watchmen was to use characters that DC had just acquired from Charlton Comics, but they told Moore not to use them when they realized he'd basically kill a lot of their expensive acquisitions.

Ozymandias was based on Peter Cannon, who had the (now tired) power to activate unused portions of the brain, giving him peak-to-superhuman reflexes, etc.

This is why Rorschach looks so similar to The Question as well.

Even stuff like berserk where a human man like Guts is swinging a sword that would pull his shoulders out of joint and tear his muscles. It's the attempt to show the adversity that the hero faces and thathe is overpowered that ruins it. One person can never achieve much in terms of combat without firearms.

We want to think humans under the right circumstances could gain something almost like superpowers. I don't have a problem with this because it's just interesting and real life is not. Batman, the watchmen, punisher and a lot of other interesting characters and stories would get ruined if they were more realistic OR had a supernatural component to them.

There is a difference between peak human condition exaggerated for cool factor, and actual superpowers.
Batman isn't really a normal human when you see what he does, but he is far more believable than Superman, who has actual new powers, not exaggerated existing human ones.

None of the watchmen (except Dr. Manhattan) had something you'd call inhuman, some super power.
It makes them seem more authentic, which fits with the rest of the story - how they get mad at each other, get old, cheating on each other, scheming, being drunk, having erectile dysfunction, going out of fashion with the people and the government, etc.
Its grounded in reality, and Manhattan is intentionally waaaaaay out of it, outside the whole loop, above things, both in power and in his mood and arc.

I think its a very good story overall, an actual film plot and not a capeflick plot.

Nolan's Batman doesn't do anything particularly superhuman. Lifting Liam Neeson onto the cliff top is probably the most impressive feat, everything else is technology.

Violence and fighting prowess is far exaggerated in the movie, as is costume design. Just compare Nightowl's and Silk Spectre's prison entrance scene. In the comic, they are combat pragmatists and just fight dirty and hit hard. The film has martial arts and slow-mo. Also Nightowl's suit is tacticool instead of a ridiculous owl costume worn by a middle-aged chubster, and the Silk in Silk Spectre is purely an artifact, seeing as she's clad in form-fitting latex. Likewise, Ozymandias is simply good at defensive martial arts with no super strength or durability behind it. I think he just disables the assassin with a judo throw. That's why him catching the bullet is treated as something spectacular.

He's rich as fuck, and also seems like one hell of a narcissist, so he would probably spend all his infinite money on training himself. It didn't really break my suspension of disbelief.

You don't know shit about physics.

Nolan's Bat should be an armless (as in no arms) smudge on the Gotham streets.

Is this movie good? I hate capeshit since I think most of it is substanceless trash for giant manchildren, but this looks different.

I might watch it.

I think its the best superhero movie.

Don't bother.

Both posts are right.

This was the least well-chosen casting of Watchmen, when I went to see Alien Covenant and Fassbender said "I am Ozymandias" I was sad bc we never got a based Fassbender Veidt.

It's good, but can be a bit too long. Watch the theatrical cut, not the director's cut, that one has extra scenes about the pirate comic, which is my least favourite part of the entire story, both in the comic and in the film

Lifting a 200 lbs human above your head is literally inhuman, you can do it with a barbell but not with a live human body

If you've read the comic, the changed ending will piss you off, and as mentioned in , it reduces the deconstruction of the genre to subtly turn it into a more coventionals capeshit movie. Apart from that it's fine, the soundtrack is good (dictated by fake ads within the comic that in turn used Bob Dylan lyrics for their slogans, so they basically made that easter egg more obvious).

watch half of it then come back and complain on Sup Forums. Win/Win.

They definitely got the wrong actor. Look at that skinny dyed hair faggot. Veidt from the comic was totally different in looks and in personality.

Why?

Don't bother. Some people think movies are "real" and that they could do these things if they trained enough. It's wishful thinking. Wrong, but ultimately harmless.

In comic books people generally come in 3 ranks

>People
I.E normal people, with regular abilities and nothing special

>Enhanced People
E.g. Batman, Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Widow. These people may have been "enchanced" by training or a chemical but they are essentially still regular people. They can be heros but they aren't moving the Sun anytime soon

>Superheros

I.E Superman, Wonder Woman, Dr Manhattan. These people are on par with some Gods in mythology. Usually immortal to everything except one weakness these people can basically do whatever the writers want them to.

It's okay for a first watch if you see the theatrical cut (director's cut is too long)

Those are more accurate if anything. A billionaire who was obsessed fighting crime and had the best military tech would be pretty effective. Same with punisher, probably has good tech and weapons and also his backstory is that he was a swat leader or something. I don't care how smart you are, you're not catching a bullet without body armor or some really cool tech

Because real life isn't an action movie.

Thanks anons, I'll give the theatrical cut a run,

That's a cool piece of trivia.

I see.

>That's the problem with superhero movies.

What about the Nolan Batman films? He gets fucked up constantly, to the point where it's actually uncomfortable to see.

>Chinese gook cartoons
Kill yourself, my man

Because Snyder made the action over the top

Considering this fag had billions in R&D, even mastering "tachyon research" (ewww), he could just be using super ritalin and steroids.

Or a discreet exosuit. Or he's just a robot. Or a bunch of stupid shit.

I agree he was a shite character with zero charisma.

Depends if the human wants to be lifted

Firefighters (even females) can do it and have done it numerous times. In real life and in training (with the 200 lbs version of the rescue randy dummy).

Yes, over their heads.

first post best post. At no point is any of the heros in actual danger because they can't be harmed. Physics are like a video game and nothing feels like it has any consequence.

if only the fight choreography was good :(

dark knight is carried by the ridiculously good heath ledger performance but one other reason it stands out to me is i don't remember any dumb fight scenes except for the end where the movie sort of eh's itself. tdkr was horrible for it.

>Lifting a 200 lbs human above your head is literally inhuman, you can do it with a barbell but not with a live human body

ok i call bullshit on this. i'm somewhat /fit/ but nowhere remotely close to one of the stronger humans on earth, and i have in my life off the top of my head lifted my ex gf who was about 120lbs and a buddy of mine when we were fucking around who was around 150lbs both over my head. I would bet the top 5-10 percent of men could lift a 200 lb person over their head. You are just dumb, and no offense but probably weak as fuck if you can't imagine someone doing that. like i said i'm really not that strong, i know a dozen of guys much stronger then me, and i did what i said above

fugg :DD

Did Batman ever do that? Bane did but he was chemically enhanced in a way.
The most superhuman batman gets from what I remember is surviving falls, and even then he needed a cane after a relatively brief stint as Batman.

>Lifting Liam Neeson onto the cliff top

>One person can never achieve much in terms of combat without firearms.
WRONG

To be quite fair, superhero movies aren't the only kind of action movies to have unrealistic human strength and durability.

You're kidding, right? How weak are you that you can't imagine such a thing to be possible?

Look at strongman competitions. They perform far more impressive physical feats than that

>benevolent

He's a Machiavellian, I would not consider that benevolent- his actions were never truly altruistic

Pulling him up a cliff and lifting him over your head are two different things.

i mean, it is a movie

It goes beyond just him being a narcissist dingo. He's the smartest man on earth, and realizing he needed to save the human race from itself, he hatched his plan and was the only one capable of seeing it through. The graphic novel does a much better job at explaining this, and Nolan made some stupid decisions with the film that take away from how great of a comic it was.

Tibetan spiritual training.

Even the most hardcore tibetan monks just make their bones (mostly skull) harder after years of training.