I want to read batman. But how the fuck does it work? I mean, with mangas is pretty straightforward, you just get n°1

I want to read batman. But how the fuck does it work? I mean, with mangas is pretty straightforward, you just get n°1.
But i don't understand comincs, like why there are 3 batmans, but in the comic is the usual bruce wayne?
Where do i start? I've heard about "new 52" stuff, which should be like a revamp.
But there is no "New 52 Batman N°1".
How the fuck do i read the batman?

Other urls found in this thread:

dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_The_Court_of_Owls
dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_2
dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_2_1
comixology.com/Batman-2011-1/digital-comic/13928
viewcomic.com/batman-year-one-01/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>But there is no "New 52 Batman N°1".

Good bait.

Start at Detective Comics vol.1 #27

OP here.
Seriuously, i've never read comics in my entire life!
But isn't that the "old batman"?
I want the new stories, i don't want to read it, then when happens the "flashpoint paradox" all changes(i've seen the cartoons).

So is there a "new 52 detective comics vol 1 #1"?

Yes all Batman titles started over at #1 in 2011 when the new 52 started. They just restarted again with Rebirth

Get collected editions

Here's an example:
dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_The_Court_of_Owls

>I mean, with mangas is pretty straightforward, you just get n°1.
Fine, if you like manga so much, just read Bat-Manga

OP HERE:
So there is an actual "Batman #1?"
In this #1 do i see the start of batman, like how he is born?
And what is Rebirth?

Yes, there is a New 52 Detective Comics #1.

If you just want to read "new batman", then start with Batman: The Court of Owls. It's by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. It's only about 8 volumes long at the moment, so it shouldn't be hard to catch up.

He just started two new comics: Batman #1 and Detective Comics #934. Both are good and friendly to new readers.

I'd also pick up Batman: Year One, Batman: Hush, and Batman: Joker's Asylum volumes 1 and 2. Aside from Year One, which is one of the best comics ever made (IMO) this will be a good primer on shit you may not understand first coming in to the comics.

Stop making this thread.

I meant to say:
> Aside from Year One, which is one of the best comics ever made (IMO), these comics don't standout as clssics but they will be a good primer on shit you may not understand first coming in to the comics.

In american comics, we have what are called "runs". These generally divide up a comic book into eras. We also have "relaunches", which usually start the numbering of a book over to issue 1. Relaunches don't reboot everything back to square 1, they're just meant to make it easy for new readers to get on board.

If you want to read the origin story of Batman, pick up Batman: Year One. It's by Frank Miller and David Mazzuccheli and is generally considered to be the definitive take on his origin story.

DC Rebirth is a new relaunch they're doing this summer.

>He just started two new comics: Batman #1 and Detective Comics #934
What are the differencies between these two?
and Detective Comics #934 is in the "new 52"?
I don't actually want to re-read the story of the batman, i just want to know what changes in the new 52, so i tought like: "instahed of his mother using a dildo up her ass, his dad did it. So Bruce, i a little homosexual."

God fuck off you faggot.

I'm sick of you Sup Forums bandwagon fucks.
I'm sick of you people saying "Goku can beat Superman/Spiderman/Batman" power level bullshit but now that there's movies coming out, suddenly you're all about your superheroes and not defending your weeb idol.
Fuck off.

>But how the fuck does it work?
Just like this, but backwards.

But seriously, read just about any Batman tankōbon (we call them "trades") and you'll get a story that can usually be enjoyed on it's own.

Almost nothing changed with regards to Batman in the New 52. The New 52 was a company-wide reboot, with the noted exceptions of Batman and Green Lantern, since those two book had VERY popular runs right beforehand.

This shit is not complicated at all, why do so much people have trouble with it? Sure, it's not 100% straightforward, but I see people treating finding out where to start reading a comic book like it's quantum physics.

Read DC Universe Rebirth. That retcons some of the New 52. Then read Batman Rebirth. Then go on to the current volumes of Detective Comics and Batman.

Batman #1 is Detective Comics #27

A comic sales tactic thats still around fromt he dark days of the 90s is that, when a book is doing shit, they'll cancel it, Maybe put a new writer on it, and pump out a fresh story and give it the #1 title.

Confusingly, sometimes they will count previous titles that have been canceled when trying to reach a landmark number. Like, say there's Batman writeen by X, and it lasted from issues #1-37. Then It got shit canned and was written by Y from a new #1-33. Then that was shitcanned so Z writes a new #1-29, but what should be his issue #30 in Z's run is called "LANDMARK BATMAN #100" and then his next issue is #31. Its a shitty marketing technique and you'll get used to it.

Rebirth is the current DC timeline. They just reset it.

This mother fucker has it right. Don't seek out individual issue unless its a series that's currently coming out. Collected editions and Trade Paper Backs (TPB) collects all the fiddly issues of a story line or writer's tenure in a soft-cover book that makes acquiring it and consuming it a lot less of a hassle.

New 52 Batman Starts with the Court of the Owls. So start there if you want "fresh" stuff and get the new batman book (thats rebirth) as it comes out. I think it comes out once a month, and if your LCS is worth half a shit, theyll let you start an account and hold the book for you every time it comes out, so if you can't make it down every third wednesday, it will still be there for you.

In general though, comics aren't like manga. Some shit from literally almost 100 years ago is still canon for some characters. It's best to find a character you like and get recommendations on what their best stories are, even if most of them are out of canon because the basics rarely change. Then find a writer you like and follow their shit to new characters you didn't know you gave a fuck about it.

Ohhh, I think I get what you're saying. You really ARE a mangafag because you need everything to start at the very beginning.

American comics start "in media res" -- they always have, they always will.

New 52 Batman #1 is an actual thing:
dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_2
dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Vol_2_1
comixology.com/Batman-2011-1/digital-comic/13928

But you're searching for something that starts at the very beginning and goes chronologically -- yeah, no, that's not a thing. You might want to read Batman Year One by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli for more clarification, but in general, the exact specifics of Bruce's origins are never *too* clear. It's so that writers can inject whatever relevant drama from the past into their story in the present.

Part of the reason behind not starting at the very beginning is so that future writers can change/alter the origin in small ways if the early stuff doesn't agree with them. A big example, of course, is with Batman and Superman, who had very simple origins that, over time, got more complexity when other writers disagreed with how they were written (Batman trained himself in his early adventures and didn't go on a foreign trip; Superman's Kryptonian origins weren't a big deal until the Reeves Superman movie came out).

An example of the worst-case scenario would be Wonder Woman, who in her first comic appearance really did have her origin created from scratch and with detail. The problem is that these different writers have different takes and they actually conflict with each other in parts.

At least for DC, them's the breaks.

OPUS HERE:
Oh, now i kinda get it!
So Detective Comics, is like a book where there are issues like #1 Batman, and i guess #1 Green Lanter(since he his also a detective)?

There is no more New 52. New 52 was the name for the 52 titles that 'relaunched' the DC Universe. That isn't really important anymore and, when it becomes important, it probably won't affect Batman much.

Batman is the Batman solo comic - It's Batman doing Batman things. Detective Comics is a team book - Batman and a bunch of his former sidekicks (kinda sorta) doing their own thing.

>There are people still replying seriously to this thread, there will be people still seriously replying to this thread even after this post.

Yes, exactly.

Detective Comics is a Batman book. Has been for decades. In the 30s it was something else, a showcase for different detective-themed stories, but it hasn't been that way for a very long time.

Comics don't go in one huge run. They have distinct storylines. For example, Grant Morrison gets on Batman, does his thing for a long time, and gets off the stage. Then Scott Snyder got the book, and now Tom King is starting his run.

There are fill-in issues when the main writer can't do an issue.

If you want to read something from start to ending, indie books like Saga which is bad but popular are like that.

DC Rebirth is the current status quo. It's the old stuff plus the New 52 stuff.

Anything will be explained in the book, anyway.

>In this #1 do i see the start of batman, like how he is born?

Don't be a faggot, even a lot of manga titles don't start with the origin of the character, they start with the character already faimiliar with his powers and the backstory comes later.

You are trying sooo hard to say ''lol, manga is better! You just need to start reading from chapter one and that's it while on comics you need to have like 10 wikipedia pages to understand it!''

Dude, nobody cares if you think that Manga is superior, we know that is not, at least compared with most shonen, comedy bullshit manga out there

Op Here:
Ok, so i should start with "Court of the Owls".

But what about Batman III, which is Damian Wayne? Is he is Batman III, why in the comics there is always Bruce?

Not quite.
DC stands for "Detective Comics," As this was the company's first major book. They wrote detective stories, and not super-hero stories first. As super heroes became more popular Detective Comics (the book) became more about them. It sometimes switches to other characters, but it has almost always been about Batman since capes became popular because he is a super-hero and a detective and his logline used to be "WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE"

Now another confusing thing about Western comics is that a character can have multiple canon books coming out at one time, that may or may not having anything to do with each other.
Detective Comics #1 and Batman #1 are both starting points for recent Batman stories.

Fuck that shit, OP. Just buy Batman #1 on the stands right now and keep going. If you obsess over everyone's backstory and shit will you never get to the great comics being released today. That's what Wikipedia is for.

Also, Court of Owls is shit.

Astro City is the prime test case for what happens when you have a single author handle an entire superhero setting for a long period of time. (answer, you get some fucking awesome stories and characters out of it)

Damian Wayne is the current Robin, and he's also like 13. The comics imply that he may become Batman in the future, when he's grown. But the mutable nature of comics means that future visions generally shouldn't be taken as ironclad law.

>I don't actually want to re-read the story of the batman

I'd still consider reading Batman Year One. It's a good starting point to get into Batman as well as being a really good book. It's only four issues. As well as not only being about Batman, it's more about how Gotham City works and it's relation to cops and crime.

>viewcomic.com/batman-year-one-01/

OPUS POCUS:
FUUUUUUUUUCK, this shit is really hard!
But i don't get it, when i read it on wikipedia(yes i know, but i informed myself before posting)
it is said that even Bruce is like dead, and Dick is Batman, but WTF!? So if i get it right, those are like "future stories", and we read the current batman continuity?

Don't listen to this guy, Court of Owls is pretty good.

Everyone thought that Bruce had died for a while, and Dick Grayson became Batman in his absence. When Bruce came back, Grayson relinquished the mantle and Bruce was Batman again. All of that was in the current timeline a few years ago, not future visions.

Damian-as-Batman is a future story, and a VERY brief one. More of a "what if?" vignette than anything else.

It's junk. The art is pretty, sure, but story-wise it was convoluted and anti-climactic.

Jesus christ man it's not that hard. There are stories that feature Batman. These stories are collected into arcs that focus on one conflict that involves Batman, usually designated by what creative team worked on them. Treat those collected story arcs as individual stories and stop caring so damn much about what's in "official" canon and what's not.

Wikipedia can help fill in some blanks if it draws on plot points from another arc before, but the only continuity that matters for an individual arc is what is on the page right fucking then.

I don't actually want to re-read the story of the batman
>You should read Year One anyway because it's one of the best stories.

Just look out for a list of the best Batman stories and read that. Nowadays with the Internet one has everything pretty much served on a plate. It's not hard at all to get into comics. The illusion of the difficulty is what puts that mental block into people.

Start with Morrison's run so you can understand Damian and experience glorious DickBats.

But, as i'm reading on wikipedia:
This should be the "new origins"

More or less.
There's an author, Frank Millar, who years ago was good.
He wrote The Dark Knight Returns and Year One, which was the new origin of Batman post-Crisis(learn what that is later).
Then New 52 started and Snyder figures he'll do his own version. a Zero Year. It's good.
Snyder's run on the Batman title, from Volume 2 Issue 1-50 has recently ended.
The current author is Tom King, starting with Batman Vol 3, #1.

Just start reading and it will start falling into place.

There's numerous routes to go.

You could read One-Off's, story arc's, or if you want to really shell out some money, just start buying single issues and reading them individually (or download, but shhh, don't tell anyone).

With comics, it's more about the individual adventures/stories/drama's that happen to the character, rather than constantly tracking a continuous storyline. When comics started doing that, they opened up Pandora's box and started dealing with multiverses to explain all the contradictions from all the different writers over the years, and it started to become such a mess that they decided to just start over.

If you DO want a continuous storyline, superhero comics typically aren't the best route to go, since for them it's mostly about the isolated storylines they're involved in, such as A Death in the Family, or Court of Owls.

The characters are considered to be a "mythos," they aren't meant to be packaged and sold as pieces of a story which all intertwine like a novel series like Harry Potter does, and certainly not like Manga.

Just read the manga, you are clearly too incompetent you retarded weeaboo

>it is said that even Bruce is like dead
He got better.

>, i've never read comics in my entire life!
But you have. Manga are comics. That is undeniable fact.

do normies really have a hard time jumping on on comics like this or is it just a meme?

Not OP, but You people are non contributing cancer. Please help natural selection take its course faster by killing your pretentious, salty spitooning selves.

They really do, at least in modern times. Mostly due to publishers launching #1s as a jumping in point, so people become accustomed to that and are afraid to start from anything else, especially big numbers from old days. Also, a lot of comic readers today are adults or teens, who are more obsessed with starting points. Kids read anything and don't care about starting at the beginning. Comic book decompression does it's part as well.

I just said he should read Bat-Manga instead. Why so mean, user? :(

>

Read Batman Black and White

People expect stories to have a beginning, middle and end.

Manga stories have a beginning, middle and end.
Creator-owned comic stories have a beginning, middle and end.
Corporate-owned comic stories (Marvel and DC, for example) only have a beginning.

So you can pick your own beginning for Batman (DC #27, Year One #1, New 52 Batman #1), but after that, it simply doesn't follow the structure that people expect from a story. It's just an eternal status quo that continues on without progression even years after you're dead. In 1000 years, Batman will still be fighting the Joker, and some people have trouble wrapping their heads around this permanently static story.

Year One is still a good story and widely accepted as the best Batman origin anyway.

Because you don't see the character series as one continuous long story. You read stories about the character. Those have the same structure as any other story.