Power Man and Iron Fist Storytime (Part 9)

Oh, you're in for a treat tonight, Anons!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h0MtS0wFvbQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Let's see how quickly people get the joke. If nobody gets it until the end, not only will I be sad, since Marvel expected people to get this joke in the 80's, but I'll spoil it.

Are they supposed to be Daleks?

Shit, you got it quicker than I did when I first read this issue.

Look at it this way Luke. You could've arrived two minutes later and seen what else Danny got the name "Iron Fist" for.

That's... that's a dalek. What the fuck.

It's easier when somebody tells you they're a reference to something. Although, how big was Dr. Who in America back then? I was under the impression it was mostly a British thing until the 2000's.

I guess we know who'd win between Dalek gunstick and Luke Cage's skin.

See, THIS is when I figured out they were Daleks, when they started screaming "INCINERATE!" presumably with the same cadence they yell "Exterminate" in the show.

Maybe it was an idea of the writer? And I don't know. Even the japanese knew of Doctor Who in the middle 80's / 90's, so maybe americans got it earlier.

It was a niche thing until the revival. Like, there ARE people who claimed to be fans before then, and Fox DID release the 8th Doctor movie.

And here is where I realized the entire thing was a Doctor Who joke. Not-Daleks are one thing. Having Not-The Doctor in a Not-TARDIS? Yeah, they're doing it intentionally.

I love how Luke is calling bullshit. If I lived in Marvel New York, I'd probably believe anything, if only because so much other weird shit happens there.

If this were released during Tom Baker's time, he would've used a not-Sonic Screwdriver by now.

Well, I have to.
I'm sorry.
youtube.com/watch?v=h0MtS0wFvbQ

That outfit... I know it's meant to look whovian, but it kinda looks like the outfit that wears the Wonka from the old Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie.

I actually tried to get that prick to review the Luke Cage issue where it goes full Christmas Carol. Ignored me too.

Apparently Linkara made that joke, going by the video right above you.

Oh, so I wasn't just seeing silly things. At least, I'm not alone.

Did he review the Luke in Latveria issue at least?

Apparently "Professor Gamble" has one more appearance in Marvel Comics, back during the Trenchcoat Avengers days.

The only other Cage comic I know he did was with Frank in blackface.

You ever hate someone so much you get dolls just to fuck with them to take out your frustration?

Frank wasn't in blackface, it was plastic surgery.

He also did one back when I was young enough to think he wasn't shit. It was one of those PSA comics, where Spider-Man, Storm, and Luke teamed up to fight drugs or something.
Also, I'm playing that video in the background, that fucker doesn't know who Colleen Wing is?!

>that ricochet in the 3rd panel

And someone was now has a bullet in them.

Isn't that something you should know even if you just skimmed the Iron Fist article on wikipedia?

I know, I just said it that way to make it sound worse.

I still have my fingers crossed for him to one day learn about War Machine 2.0.
It is one of the only comics that honestly made me feel physical pain.

You'd think so, yeah. Especially since he somehow needs to know exactly who Misty Knight is.

You could make a video on the cover alone.

And now I got to the part where Linkara is making jokes about superheroes riding taxis, and all I can think of is the time the Avengers got their government clearance revoked by Henry "I'm the Goverment" Gyrich, so they had to take the bus.

That's not actually a picture of Danny in the last panel, he's actually hiding in the room.

This woman looks like the Femme Fatale in a noir story.

Okay, and now she REALLY does.

Come on Luke, we just need you to start talking in 3rd person.

>"Remember, you aren't Hal Jordan, Luke..."

Between this and the K'un Lun issue, I like to imagine that Luke just gets really annoyed when someone tries to change the genre of his series.

Well we did just jump from Dr. Who to Noir.
Man, I can't even imagine the whiplash that readers back in the day felt.

My god. A Dalek Stageplay.

It's a shame it wasn't right after issue 75. Went from Kung Fu, to Science Fiction, to Detective Noir.

Where the hell did he find a mirror that big?!

Whenever I see bubbles in the background I just think of shoujo manga.

It probably doesn't help that, with some alterations, that bottom panel could be a shoujo anime magical girl transformation.

Do you think Luke ever smashes through the wrong wall when he tries to do his Kool-Aid man impression?

Every time Misty begins to feel bad for breaking up with Danny, she just remembers this last panel, and feels perfectly fine with it.

>and a bevy of beautiful dancing girls

Okay Anons, I know it'll be hard, but try NOT to fap until the storytime is over. I desperately need the discussion.

You'll remember these two from the last issue of the Daredevil crossover.

>. Although, how big was Dr. Who in America back then?

Not as big as in Britain, but the 1960s movies were a global thing and could well have been being played on TV to capitalize on Peter Cushing's Star Wars fame at the time.

Plus this was dead center of Tom Baker's run, and he was the most popular of the old series Doctors, and I think PBS may have starting picking it up by then?

Hey, you guys remember Abe Brown from the Sons of the Tiger, right?

Jeryn is really optimistic about royalty not holding a grudge.

>If this were released during Tom Baker's time, he would've used a not-Sonic Screwdriver by now.

I just checked the date and wow, were in 1982 and just out of Tom Baker's run.

Man this series is just flying by. I think the last time I checked the date we were still in like '78.

We do 3-4 issues a day, and when I don't do it for varying reasons, I make up for it the next day.

Funhouse.

Wasn't he black Lawrence of Arabia for a while?

>"Danny, what are you doing?"
>"Luke, trust me, this is going to be great. Lemme just rob this carnival attraction on the way."

>forklift underskirt
You were right, it's hard not to fap.

Goddamn, Danny just gave a Video Game Protip to Luke.

Heroes for Hire Beat-em-up when? Luke, Danny, Colleen, and Misty, plus summons like Paladin, Sons of the Tiger, Shang-Chi, Thunderbolt, and Black Knight?

You just know Jeryn is making the two of them sit in coach too, the prick.

So Abe has amnesia about that time he was a terrorist.

Weak. Almost as weak as the fact we never got an Abe vs Hector bout.

Woot woot, Montenegro's back.

Tell you what, keep a list of all these characters, so that when we get to the end, you can have a full roster.

"Let's use strategy" should be the Sup Forums translation for "Joestar family secret techique."

I think it's weaker that Hector just quit being White Tiger off-panel.

I deliberately also picked characters from later runs! Paladin doesn't exist for like, 6 more years.

Wait, Hector's NOT SPIDERMAN?!

It wasn't off-panel, it just happened in an unrelated book. Spider-Man, I think. His secret identity was pubically revealed and his entire family was killed, which is as good a reason as any to retire.

Yeah, I mean I can understand him not wanting to be a were-Superhero and doing whatever he can to stop. But just giving back the necklaces back to Bob, Abe and presumably Sun is just dull dull dull.

I know, I notice you also picked Black Knight, part of the Ostrander Heroes for Hire run.

Okay, so this page looked different enough that I clued into it being not Kerry Gammill.

Denys Cowan! That is fucking UNRECOGNIZABLE as Denys Cowan art.
Also- back to a Black artist on Luke Cage.
I think this is the third time for that, now.

That kinda sucks too.

>Luke Cage is hired to bull a client's daughters.

What a perv.

By 1982, Doctor Who would have been airing in the United States for ten years, finding an audience primarily on PBS and some broadcast stations in major market areas like New York's WWOR. Intriguingly, the company that had Who's distribution rights at the time offered the show in two formats: standard 25 minute episodes and feature length edits of entire serials.

I made this joke last thread , but it still works. "Have you ever been so mad, your pupil changed to have the face of a man?"

I didn't really bother continuing with Hector's story, because I never found him as interesting, whereas the Sons of the Tiger have plotlines that are continued in this series, as well as Bob Diamond himself being a secondary character in the series.

Jesus Christ, look at the size of that guy's face in the first panel. He looks like some versions of The Joker.

Believe it or not, this is not Danny's worst plan.

They never bother explaining how Boris is so tough, I believe.