We spent so long watching full screen VHS's with so much cropped out

>We spent so long watching full screen VHS's with so much cropped out
How where we so stupid?

It's called digital compression, gaylord.
We simply didn't have the technology and bandwith to be dealing with that format at the time.

>He wants black bars on the screen

lol what a waste

But the Buffy series were basically ruined with the uncropped version. Sometimes the crew or equipment would be visible.

t. my parents

I had to Litterally take a photo and point out parts of the frame to prove to them that forcing a movie into full screen was actually showing them less. How can people be so dumb.

Well the tapes would have needed to be wider to have more screen, so they wouldn't have fit in anyone's video player, duh.

>He wants black bars on the screen
I am someone who hates this but I tried rewatching a James Bond movie on my VHS and I couldnt cos was too cropped in

It's different nowadays cos the original film camera will be cropped up and down to fit with black bar ratio so nothing on sides is cut whereas the VHS tapes of course cut left to right and up and down so it is horrible watching.

BvS actually was painful to watch on home release because I found that too much was cropped out from below and above. I wish Snyder had released the IMAX edition.

So buy a projector with an anamorphic lens.

Enjoy 4 black bars on TV content though.

That left screenshot does not apply to the whole movie, just a couple of shots that weren't shot with anamorphic lenses.

>be VHS, crop 16:9 to 4:3
>be DVD, crop 4:3 to 16:9
It's a doggy dog world that home video.

I hope this is just some advanced 4D reverse bait

Most movies were only available in fullscreen on VHS. They weren't labeled as fullscreen on the front cover like DVDs were when those came around.

You just watched the movie.

It has nothing to do with compression pr bandwith retard. It's because the size of TV is different from cinema. You actually could watch the entire frame of a film on TV, but the image would be smaller and you would have the black borders up and down

>You just watched the movie.
No, I watched a movie that was re-directed by some literally-who editor working for some VHS editing company.
Key word here: RE-DIRECTED BY SOME LITERALLY-WHO

The size of the TV was determined because of digital compression and bandwidth, shitheel. Get educated.

No, shithead, it's not really about the size, it's just the ratio that is different. There are big TVs and small TVS, they both work.

You're a moron

Why didn't you just buy the widescreen editions?

I unironically prefer unmatted 4:3 versions of films. pan and scan is terrible though

Why dont they just film movies on a fucking square lense it should be obvious enough we don't have goat eyes

>Still using boxes
Why dont they just film in circles or like 360 degrees so I can choose where to look holy shit

There's a lot of stupidity in this thread, keep it up

>unmatted 4:3 versions of films
Kubrick's last few films and On The Waterfront are the only examples I can think of where this is possible

Because you have two eyes which makes your FOV actually rectangular.

There was apparently an open-matte 16:9 version of (500) Days of Summer, which was released on Blu-ray in CinemaScope.

I haven't seen a torrent of the open-matte version but it was apparently shown on TV.
Hopefully, this version is uncensored.
I already have the Blu-ray version, though.

Also, the STARZ airing of The Force Awakens apparently was opened up in the escape from Jakku scene into 16:9 with more picture on the top and bottom like the IMAX version, the rest of the version is pan-and-scanned from the CinemaScope version, though, so it isn't like the Blu-ray version of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.
Neither the 2D nor 3D Blu-ray releases of The Force Awakens had the IMAX scene opened up.

And the plane scene in The Dark Knight Rises was pure kino in IMAX.

Also:
>sticking with fullscreen VHS tapes
>not going with widescreen LaserDiscs back in the day
HAHAHA! VHSlets, when will they ever learn?
Also, I am aware that their are widescreen VHS tapes and fullscreen cropped LaserDiscs but widescreen is more common for LaserDiscs and pan-and-scan fullscreen is more common for VHS tapes.

>It's different nowadays cos the original film camera will be cropped up and down to fit with black bar ratio so nothing on sides is cut whereas the VHS tapes of course cut left to right and up and down so it is horrible watching.
Type properly, retard

so why dont they show us whats under the black bars?

Sometimes, it's filled with microphones, crewmen and other stuff which would probably break your immersion.

Anyways, how about movies which flip-flop aspect ratios?

>2017
>still watching on a 16:9 ratio TV

anyone have a 3.6:1 Master Race yet?

2.35:1 is the perfect ratio.
After that it becomes as retarded as cropping the image into a square.

>not watching widescreen Laserdiscs in the 80s

Go watch the original DVD release of pirates of the Caribbean. When they're fighting in the blacksmiths shop and they are jumping through the rafters they fucked up and cropped out too much of the bottom of frame, revealing boom mikes and the top of the set.

Jurassic Park, Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Why are movies square? They should be circular so it matches our field of vision.

>2.35:1 is the perfect ratio.
>implying it's not based 1:66:1

>not cropping all of your films to 1:1
reddit gtfo

You could still get letterboxed VHS, which were a thing.

ALL MONITORS, TVs, PROJECTORS, AND MOBILE SCREENS SHOULD BE 21:9 REEEEEEEEEE

Your FoV isn't circular though. Your peripheral vision extends much further to the sides then it does vertically.

I sincerely hope you all are just baiting and not just utterly retarded

>digital compression
>analog format

This is bait.

Netflix is making Kino great again

if 2.35:1 TVs became popular, 3.6:1 movies would become the standard because filmmakers feel like black bars make their drek more "cinematic"

Thanks mr. scientist man!

>being this retarded

We are still stupid. We now sometimes crop fullscreen video so it appears widescreen.