What's the deal with all the box office bombs?

Can someone help me understand why there have been so many box office failures recently? Maybe I wasn't paying attention before, but I feel like you can't turn around without hearing about some major production failing at the box office, and the only things that seem to consistently make money are Marvel/DC superhero movies, Disney/Pixar animated movies, live action remakes of Disney animated movies, and Star Wars. Franchises that have done well financially in recent years like the Star Trek and Ninja Turtle reboots made peanuts compared to previous installments. Even something like Life, with modestly positive reception, well-known, well-liked stars, and a medium sized budget, couldn't even make half its budget back. What is the deal?

rotten tomatoes

i used that picture in an 8th grade chemistry class presentation
someone pointed out that it was a clown
idk how i never noticed

It may unironically be this. Review aggregator websites, especially, RT, are huge now, and people are actually checking them out when they decide what to see at the movies on the weekends. Critics mattered before but RT gave them a massive megaphone, one big enough for even normies to hear them.

ironically, some ppl actually go opposite to rotten. pretty often critics liked movies are not well-recived by audience, and otherwise, crushed movies are among favourites.

just an experiment. Take some of your fav 80s-90s blockbusters and check their critical response. Many of audience all-time favourities are actually railed by critics.

Yup. Normies don't have the patience to actually read a review. But now they're just looking at a single number.

>pic

What's up with the giant laughing clown face in the image?

is that from the new Twisted Metal?

People are tired of spending $50-$100+ to see the same garbage over and over.

Cars 3 was a big bomb too so Pixar isn't even immune necessarily, since Disney's cannibalized its status as premier animated studio.

Makes sense. Are they even still making that shit?

>Makes sense. Are they even still making that shit?

They try to remake it every 5 years or so. Just like all the shitty movies that are bombing.

Oversaturation of the market (not of any specific type of movie, just movies in general), budgets that are impossibly high meaning expectations are impossibly high, increasing disinterest in actually going to the movies by the general public.

There's virtually unlimited options for escapism now. There has been some time but "normal" people have caught up to the fact. Rather than risk driving to the movie theater to see something they may not like, people just do/watch/play something else instead.

How much does it cost to see a movie now? I haven't been in years

Suicide Squad got rekt by critics and still made good money.

Female Ghostbusters did ok with the critics and was a comercial failure.

>barrage of shit movies they expect us to like because they're "blockbusters" and sequels

War is the ultimate joke...

It's an ad for Twisted Metal on PS3.

The trade off is that all of Pixar's top talent all took over Walt Disney Animation (and ushering in a second renaissance), reducing Pixar to a studio for toy commercials.

$10 for regular, $15 for 3D, and $20 for IMAX 3D. At least where I live.

Seth Rogen was just on Howard Stern talking about this. It used to be that most people read their local newspaper film critic and that was it. Now, with RT and aggregated scores, people are more savvy at doing their research to see what the general consensus on these films are.

i don't think critics have much to do with it, there are plenty of movies that get crappy reviews and did fine at the box office. now that at home streaming is a thing i think people are just sick and tired of going to movie theaters unless they really really really want to see something, and there just aren't enough movies that make people want to get up and deal with overpaying for shit just to sit in a room that may or may not have annoying people in the audience that ruin the whole thing.

if hollywood made their own netflix and released new movies on it, do you have any idea how much money they would make? i seriously don't understand why they stick to this antiquated bullshit system from 50 years ago that obviously isn't working that well anymore

Rogen also mentioned a good point in that a lot of older films that were panned upon initial release (Predator, Anchorman, Big Lebowski, Step Brothers, etc) have gotten "reevaluated" and had their aggregated scores rise over time. He brought up a good point in that it's kind of unfair since a lot of these critics only turn around and claim those films are classics in the present age when they panned them themselves upon original release.

The Cars series makes most of their money from merchandise sales so it's going to be awhile to determine if 3 really did fuck up or not.

Kids these days don't want to go to a movie theater

Thanks millennials

Millennials are in their 20s and 30s now.

This guy gets it.

I feel like marketing for big movies has really gone to shit

that's because all the big movies are capeshit and star wars trash

too many spics and beaners with their family of 15 stinking em up talking in ugly spic speak

they are literally just picking 80s-90s titles and trying to shine them up for cash grabs at this point. baywatch? jumanji? a lethal weapon tv show? you can't tell me that any focus groups thought these were good ideas

I think this is partially true, but also just the fact that each generation spends less and less time "going out" to do things. Going to the movies, or going to a restaurant, or going to the mall, etc. all used to be what the majority of kids would do in their free time, get together in groups and actually go out and do something, but now with each generation less and less of them go out and do shit, choosing instead to just sit on their asses and play Minecraft or binge watch YouTube. I'm the oldest of six kids and my youngest sibling is 16 years younger than me so I've seen this shit happen with my own eyes.

this is very true, one aspect of which is teh fact that movie trailers are now just heavily edited versions of the actual film which contain the entire plot from start to finish. what the fuck is the point of seeing a movie when you know the whole plot already? especially for kids these days who have the shortest attention spans in history

people wants to see epics things at the cinema...DC, Marvel, Star Wars, Lord of The Rings, etc. those thing will work.

Once Baby Driver and the new Planet of the Apes Kino blockbusters are released should even things out.

For an agoraphobic like myself, this is all just terrific.

A lot of them try really hard to drum up hype just by solely existing which doesn't work for me. You gotta actually fucking show me something to get me excited for your movie not just announce it's a thing that exists and there's gonna be a trailer out next week. Or even worse they'll throw some cheap swagbox at a youtube vlogger who will then try to hype it up because they're rabid fanboys.

People are sick of SJW propaganda bullshit.

Who owns Toei? What am I being brainwashed for by watching Japanese super hero shows from the 70s and 80s?

I don't know, but WW is already poised to break $600 million worldwide.

>and the only things that seem to consistently make money are Marvel/DC superhero movies, Disney/Pixar animated movies, live action remakes of Disney animated movies, and Star Wars
Millenials and Gen Z subhuman cock sucker trash is what happened.

Probably because movies cost like 20 fucking dollars nowadays.

Wonder Woman is Best Girl!

nah, that's irrelevant

shits targeting, exclusively, teenagers. Teenagers don't need theaters anymore.

>He brought up a good point in that it's kind of unfair since a lot of these critics only turn around and claim those films are classics in the present age when they panned them themselves upon original release.
Like they personally are doing this, or is he doing the fallacy of lumping critics together like some hivemind?

>are now
You've clearly never seen an actual trailer from back in the day then, when the plot would be narrated on top of a 3 minute trailer showing you the plot

Hollywood has been totally consumed by nepotism and focus groups. The only thing they know how to make is movies aimed at retards.

i dont even remember the last time i went to the theaters and i used to go 10+ times every year.

everything reeks of cashgrabs, pandering, and franchise building. i expect everything hollywood puts out to be garbage and im right almost every time

Critics want to believe they're this important

>Female Ghostbusters did ok with the critics and was a comercial failure.
Because the critics were pushing an agenda. The movie was unfunny trash.

>I think this is partially true, but also just the fact that each generation spends less and less time "going out" to do things. Going to the movies, or going to a restaurant, or going to the mall, etc. all used to be what the majority of kids would do in their free time, get together in groups and actually go out and do something, but now with each generation less and less of them go out and do shit, choosing instead to just sit on their asses and play Minecraft or binge watch YouTube. I'm the oldest of six kids and my youngest sibling is 16 years younger than me so I've seen this shit happen with my own eyes.

Well we have to ask ourselves a pertinent question then. Did we go out and do things because we wanted to or because we had to?

6 for day, 8 for night in mooresville IN

1) Going to the movies isn't a cultural stape anymore. Now it's facebook or whatever. People focus on other things and have enough shiny shit not to notice films.
2) Cinema is getting more expensive and economic situation worse and worse.
3) Big movies are made for everybody, meaning they're made for nobody.
4) There's so much out there you can't see even a fraction of what's in the cinemas.
5) Extension of 3), marketing doesn't work anymore.
6) Bloated budgets.
7) Nobody gives a fuck about critics or most celebrities.
8) Hollyjew's political climate is an instant turn off to a lot of people, even leftists. Thus they don't even watch films which ooze that west coast uniformity.

In California it's 15$ for a ticket and food prices are fucking insane here. I used to go all the time now I don't even go to the movies anymore because of this. Movie theaters can eat shit.

pffft all they need to do is remaster 2 and make in online

>i seriously don't understand why they stick to this antiquated bullshit system from 50 years ago that obviously isn't working that well anymore

Because if they don't then Hollywood as they know it is dead. No more lavish parties, no more pedo sex rings, no more star culture. If they make it cheap, they lose all that.

Never mind cape shit and Star Wars. If you had told me the only other sure fire international hit this year would be a Planet of the Apes prequel 7 years ago I would have laughed in your face.

No one wants to pay to be surrounded by nigs hootering and hollering in a confined space