Cancerous fandoms!

Hello there guys, I have a huge request to all of you – this autumn I’m going to make a panel on a local convention about fandoms. I want to discuss and explain different topic covering most hated and cancerous fandoms on the internet… But I will need some help. I want you, guys, to voice your opinions, to say, which fandoms enrage you the most and why do they enrage you? Any help will be appreciated!

Every one of them.

That's obvious. Still, any reasons why would be appreciated.

It's a convention about fandoms? I don't get it.

No, it's more of a general fantasy, video game and cartoons convention, I'm just making a panel there.

Might as well cover P0N3 out of the gate.

I've watched some of the show. It's okay for a kid's show. I didn't even mind it when it was taking off and fucking consuming Sup Forums I knew it would die down original. (I used to be DANGEROUSLY furry so I knew how this was going to go.) Unfortunately the second eventuality I saw was after everyone started spamming it everywhere you'd see people get ticked off about it.

So of course once the enthusiastic fans calm the fuck down you get trolls who pick it up and start spamming it. Not to say bronies didn't bring it on themselves but on top of the more obnoxious members of the fandom you had rage farmers waiting in the wings exacerbating the problem.

now we come ot the formation of /mlp/ on four chan, which for some bizarre reason still exists long after P0N3 has waned in popularity. We still have a rule banning those images. I swear to god years later I see one person post a single image and some people will lose their shit and tank a perfectly good thread.

I don't hate P0N3. I hate the idiots who orbit it. The dumb ass autists who spam it at every opportuinity, the dumb ass trolls who spam it for lulz, and the anti-fandom it's spawned who are every bit as cancerous as the worst clopper ever to crawl out of MLP.

TL;DR
Anti-Fandoms are arguably worse than normal fandoms. At least normal fans like something. What kind of person obsesses over something they hate?

/tg/ here

would you like to hear tabletop gripes?

At first I thought you were talking about Vinyl Scratch in particular

Sure, why not?

nah, I even like some of the music bronies spit out. It's the old furfag issue. Some are nonfunctional morons, some are cool people. Some make crap some make nice stuff.

not gonna let people shame me for listening to something I enjoy.

Btw, I made threads on other board for board-related fandoms:
>>> Sup Forums143496708

okay Dungeons and Dragons. If you're not familiar with dungeons and dragons google "dead ale wives dungeons and dragons" I reccomend the 8 bit theater version. That is a perfect representation of your average game. Not necessarily a good one but that's what it's like a lot of the time. A bunch of bored nerds spending a night eating pizza drinking beer/soda and playing pretend.

and that's all D&D is really, a game of pretend. Except you have rules so that little cunt who always says "nuh uh, you missed me" has to roll some dice for it.

anyways.D&D is based on an old game called Chainmail, and other wargames from the period. It proudly displays it's war game roots and as a consequence regardless of which version your playing combat factors in pretty heavily. Which, you know, is fine...until you get bored of killing mobs and engaging in combat and feel like building a kingdom, exploring the elemental plane of ice, or romancing a princess.

Now there's small books for this sort of thing we call them 'splatbooks' but your mileage varies wildly. Anyways for a lot of people D&D is their first pen and paper experience...

and that becomes a real fucking problem when you bring newbies who were weaned on the 'gold and loot' sweet teat to a different system . Google 2D's shadowrun storytime for an example in detail.

>cont->

I wont let fandoms enrage me anymore, it's simply not worth your time and rage. There's so many legitimate things to hate these days, the most I feel for fandoms anymore is contempt. Subhuman money sponges whose maximum total value in life is to be a target audience. That being said, I find the easiest fandoms to despise are Undertale and SU. Mediocre products that induce a rabid, fervent belief that it's a groundbreaking masterpiece of our times in the followers when no part of them are extraordinary or original. Not to mention the amount of tangentially source material related fanart *shudder*

Go look at the current homestuck general. Not even the comic being euthanized eradicated the growth from this board.

What you get is a phenomena we call "The Murderhobo." Now this is not a D&D only phenomena but you could easily argue they started this thing.

You have people making characters with no fixed residence, no supporting cast of NPCs, no emotional ties to their fellow players, and a problem solving toolkit that boils down to whatever implements of violence they have at their disposal.

I say this as a former murderhobo who was patiently lured away from pointy objects to a more nuanced problem solving viewpoint.

D&D is the premier Pen and Paper game. It is often parodied in cartoons, movies, and even in video games.

Sometimes without understanding how the game even fucking works. But that's a different rant altogether.

D&D does a great job of getting people into the initial stages of playing pretend but it does poorly at Roleplaying and encourages RollPlaying. (I.E. Playing to pretend you're in a collaborative story telling experience and you have a character versus playing to win a contest/competition)

It's a game that sort of inadverdently polarizes people and leaves GMs, Game Masters with newbies who have a lot of bad habits that they need to be broken of.

there's a lot of ways to have fun but D&D tends to push people down one path of success.

So yeah D&D is a fun game with a lot of history and I could talk your ear off about weirder settings like Shadowrun or Planescape or Spell Jammer if you want. (two of which I fucking love and we owe AD&D a debt of gratitude for)

But it's a game that encourages bad behaviour. It's an issue of arguable impact. Maybe it's small, maybe it's big. Opinions are divided. But it's something worth discussing if you like playing pen and paper games.

>But I will need some help. I want you, guys, to voice your opinions, to say, which fandoms enrage you the most
The SU fandom

>why do they enrage you?
They act like conceited fools that do their damndest to warp the inherent good message the show had and turned it into a reason to bully people they don't like.

>The Star Wars fandom too
The SW fandom here is surprisingly chill on occasion, but everywhere else it's literally a damn war and you'll be hated for liking something another person hates.

But I attribute that to people having to have usernames and ways of identifying themselves and others.

When you're anonymous no one cares what you think, but when you're Adam67, then you have a name. When you get names on the internet then you're at the mercy of whoever is in charger of the forum you're on.

>Sup Forums thread is deleted already

No, it's still there, I'm just a moron who can't type correctly.

Thank you for correcting me.

I fucking love Doctor Who. I love everything about it, from the cheesiness to the awesome backstory.

It's the fucking fagnut fans out there who ruin it for everyone else. They've ruined it so hard that the effects are literally visible within the show itself.

Clara was a cool character upon her introduction. Then the fans happened. Exactly the same with the lizard woman and Strax. Great ideas to begin with, then tumblr and leddit happened, political correctness and all that shit.

Oh yeah and don't even get me started on Rick and Memey. I like that show too. Then I saw the subreddit. I wanted to kill myself.

My personal most hated fandoms are Steven Universe (with their SJWs), MLP (ponifications of literally god damn everything) and Sonic (with their awful OCs).

I rarely see MLP anywhere, so it seems to me like the fans are behaving themselves.

You mean them behaving here, or on the Internet as a whole?

most anything that gets tumblr's collective eye and they start turning every detail about it into head-cannon after head-cannon cause they want to force their views on everyone

Seems like tumblr is the most responsible for the cancer in fandoms, eh?

Not him, but internet as a whole. The only places I see pone these days are sites that are specifically about it or an occasional avatar on a forum. It's gonna get a seventh season and a movie in late 2017, but the fandom has largely waned. On Sup Forums specifically, I never see it outside of /mlp/ or /trash/, aside from occasional threads by you-know-who so he can justify his existence.

Literally destroyed Sup Forums and is slithering its tendrils into other boards.

No, fandoms are responsible for the cancer in fandoms. tumblr is just a place to display it, but you find the same shit here or on Reddit.

not tumblr as a whole but the cancer of tumblr I do not know if its cause the majority of tumblr is cancer or they are the most vocal

Ah, yeah, I see. Thank you for correcting my way of thinking.

The Stephen Universe fanbase on tumblr has literally driven multiple people to attempt suicide because they supported the wrong ships, constantly harassing and bullying them until they make an attempt to take their own lives and then openly celebrating.

Supernatural? MCU Tumblr fandom?

This is really just it. The medium may be the message but the message doesn't really change much. There may be more SJWs on tumblr or more casuals on reddit or whatever, it's all the same patterns.

Maybe, may I ask for reasons behind choosing these?

One word: Superwholock

What is this? I've never played games before in my life so I have no idea.

An indie RPG(?) video game, about a kid who falls into a monster world. Mostly recognized for being a game in which you don't have to kill a single enemy. The main idea is that "killing is bad, love everyone and your life might turn out nice", this kind of stuff. Also memes. In my opinion it's a pretty nice game, but the fandom sucks quite hard, especially guys who want to fuck goat mom or fish lady.

It's a indie game that's really popular because it's short, easy, and has likeable (to tumblr) characters. Because it's so easy anyone can beat it, people casuals think it's the Jesus of games because that's the only game they've ever completed.

Fanbase is absolute cancer so it fits this thread

>Then Steven Moffat happened
Fixed for you. And before him Rusty happened. And before him Virgin New Adventures happened which weren't apparently bad, but laid ground work for Rusty to happen. And before them JNT happened.

You can say that those were all fans. But you probably didn't mean it originally. Doctor Who currently suffers under the iron heel of ADHD man with no restraint and you can't blame fans for it.

>you can't blame fans for it.

I can blame the fans for liking it.

Nobody likes Doctor Who. Doctor Who is a fucking shit and I say it as a fan.

It also exists on taxpayer money so Moffat can do whatever the fuck he pleases.

hit enter before I finished.

Was going to say 'Moffat counts as fan too'.

>Nobody likes Doctor Who

You obviously don't browse reddit. They eat that fucking shit up, dude.

Please. Undertale never "destroyed" Sup Forums, Sup Forums destroyed Sup Forums.

Hmm. So, here's the argument we're presented with:

>People like X because it's easy and tumblr, they're dumb babies.

Knowing nothing else about the discussion, what are the chances an argument like this is correct? Conversely, what are the chances that the poster is hating on something popular in order to feel better about themselves?

There's lots of Moffat hate going on everywhere. However Moffat haters often like RTD who is much worse in my opinion.

You can perhaps pin it on fans for enabling Moffat, but really, we have nobody to blame but Moffat and deeply unfortunate trends that began at least on revival.

I think it's a rather stupid. Games don't have to be hard to be enjoyable. I did enjoy Undertale, despite I prefer more tough titles and I'm not a fan of RPGs. And if you just don't give a shit about the fanbase, then you have a fun little game to spend a few hours on.

>RTD worse than Moffat

I'll agree that both are shit, but Moffat is fucking explosive diarrhoea shit, while RTD is just standard shit.

RTD is worse. He was the root cause of every problem that is plaguing NuWho and he has no taste whatsoever.

Just to say fuck it, I'd even go as far to say that the fanbase isn't even that bad. There's an abundance of quality stuff produced, and there's probably something for every type of fan.

Sure he's the cause. But it still could have been salvaged by a decent show runner.

RTD drove the show into a lake.

Moffat took over by trying to pull the car out of the lake with a crane that would then too, fall into the lake.

Then the crane and car both exploded.

Yeah, I mean, that's pretty much the case with every fandom. There are really cancerous parts of it, but mostly it's just a bunch of people enjoying whatever that fandom is about.

But soon based Chris Chibnall (A showrunner whose candidacy excites no fan at all so he must be good) will save us.

I legitimately don't know what the fuck to expect from Chibnall.

Can't really get much worse, I just hope it's not more of the same.

This.

It was the same problem with MLP: too many haters just hating it to look cool. At least I can still post UT without a ban.

Your panel sounds like shit.

>I legitimately don't know what the fuck to expect from Chibnall.
More Cyberwomen.

Constant Daleks and Cybermen were one of the reasons I lost interest in Dr. Who.

My biggest problem with fandoms is when rather than enjoying and discussing the product for what it is and offers, they dedicate themselves to warp it and idealize it, to the point it hardly even resembles what it's supposed to be.

Se the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared Fandom. I'd understand if they were into it for the surrealness of its humor and horror, but no! They're all about turning the characters into anime bishies and psychos, giving unfitting personalities and shipping them over and over.

It's like, do they like the actual show? Or they like their own idealized version of the show? Now mind you most other fandoms do this to some extend depending on the sub-groups, but when the whole fandom does it it really begs the question.

They probably do. Otherwise they wouldn't fixate on it.

Then they warp it more to their liking until it's something different, inspired by the original. That's how creativity works.

>Literally destroyed Sup Forums
Sup Forums has never been good. Never.

I recently started playing it, it's a fine game. I literally do not understand why the fandom is like it is except that it has crossover appeal with Homestuck thanks to Toby Fox making music for Homestuck.

>I literally do not understand why the fandom is like it is
Same thing you find in pretty much every fandom: a cast of several likeable characters. So a fandom takes those characters and makes fan content about them. That's it. Likeable is subjective, of course, but when they appeal to a wide enough audience, you get a fandom.

I like Undertale. I actively avoid threads, theory videos and fanart of things that i like as rule of thumb. Popular things are hard to avoid and one time i saw a pic of Sans with blue tentacles from his back. I have played the game twice and i am sure i never saw him with tentacles.

Is it creativity when most of the fanwork they produce is the same shared "fancanon" idea of what the characters are? There's hardly any sense of individuality - it's like every fanartist draw the same version of the character, which is not even anything like the original.