What went wrong?

But seriously, what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jyRMDImZGf8
youtube.com/watch?v=aLRRCd4s3dg
deadline.com/2017/06/the-mummy-tom-cruise-box-office-bomb-loss-1202114482/
yahoo.com/movies/mummy-star-sofia-boutella-reveals-bloody-set-injury-190730437.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Givposter not getting his mummygf.

>What would Ethan Hunt do in his vacation between those impossible missions

Cruise's religion tried to push a more alien-soul based narrative vs. the director's plan for a horror-fantasy epic. Who won, you ask? Brendan Fraiser.

Normies dont care about mummies anymore
Normies dont care about Tom Cruise anymore

Ahmanet didn't get to go on with Cruise.

Does this mean the monsterverse is dead? Will we never get to see Angelina Jolie as the Bride of Frankenstein?

>alien-soul based narrative

Why's he been pushing for that kind movie? There's always some sci-fi immortality angle with Cruise lately, whether its Oblivion, Vanilla Sky or Edge of Tomorrow. Some kind of techno live-forever continuation arc.

they remade a perfect movie

>what went wrong?

Turn classic and outdated horror movies into generic soul less action movies in a shared universe.

Movie needed to be more serious toned and less humor. More scenes like this would have made it much better

How many times does it have to be mentioned that this movie has more in common with the 1932 Mummy movie than it does with the Brendan one?

When does Evie in the 1999 Mummy ever become romantically involved with Imhotep after he seduces her and she accepts being the sacrifice until in the last minute she rebukes and destroys him?

The 3rd act of the Tom Cruise movie is so much like the 1932 one

Have you watched the 1932 movie? The Mummy is defeated by the female lead praying to the God Osiris. It's a very spiritual movie and it isn't just a "horror" flick so if you think Cruise was pushing for the spiritual soul based themes, no he was not. They were being more true to the 1932 movie than the 1999 movie was.

I'd rather like to see a sequel with Nick resurrecting Sofia Mummy as he needs her to defeat some greater evil or something

1. Too many comparasions with "The Mummy" 1999, ppl were expecting something close to it. Movie is actually closer to Hammer Films productions than 1932 original or Sommers adventure-comedy

2. Chaotic story telling. Very chaotic. Not everyone understood Nick/Ahmaned visions.

3. Tom Cruise is not so loved in US, the rest of world doesnt really care at scientology, but US does.

4. Too much unrevealing, they should keep Dr Jekyll just as 'Dr Henry' and don't show Hyde at all, keep him for later movies.

5. Too uneven, not horror, not comedy, neither adventure.

6. Capeshit. capeshit anywhere, WW literally smashed US. Americans love WW coz of cultural iconic status, rest of world actually was more intrested in "Mummy".

I know movie got it's flaws, but absolutly loved it and so far my favourite of the year. Also nice to see oldschool practical effects, stunts and scenography instead usual CGI greenscreen fest. 6-7/10 from me.

>There are people in this very fucking thread who watch black n white movies from the 30's

lol

no one ever claimed otherwise, you're just projecting

>Too uneven, not horror, not comedy, neither adventure.
This is what I most agree with your post. The movie didn't know what it wanted to be

The movie did well overseas and for a big blockbuster movie it actually had a somewhat conservative budget. So they'll still continue for at least one more movie.

user said "they remade a perfect movie" so I was replying to him if he thought this was supposed to be a remake of the 1999 one

>Too many comparasions with "The Mummy" 1999, ppl were expecting something close to it
Only fucking Sup Forums and buzzfeed remember those movies don't delude yourself.

Yeah? Some of my favorite movies of all time are black and white and from the 30s/40s. You're a fucking pleb if you can't enjoy Bride.

>So they'll still continue for at least one more movie.
I WANT PHANTOM OF THE OPERA AND THAT IS LAST ON THE LIST OF BEING MADE

Hopefully it's horror, not a musical and stays true to the original story

That blonde bitch is just so unnecessary. Compare her to prime Rachel Weisz...

>he hasn't watched the Beginning box set of Doctor Who
If you aren't a fan you can skip the other episodes BUT I really recommend watching the first 3

An Unearthly Child is set in the cavemen days and sometimes I see threads asking of cavemen movies so this may interest you

The Daleks is so inspired by H.G. Wells' Time Machine so if you love that book like I do, you will really enjoy this

>every movie about a mummy is a remake or the 1932 one
??????????????????????????????
so every movie about a vampire is a remake of the original dracula? Is dracula 2000 a remake of dracula?

Based givposterposter

They probably just play on their phone while the movie is on and then come on here and act like they're not from reddi+

>dr. who

Opinion discarded.

literally perfect review:

youtube.com/watch?v=jyRMDImZGf8

it is pretty often shown in TV, In addition mostly reviews about new "Mummy" I read are almost all time refferencing to Sommers 1999 one instead dozen previous black&white Universal movies or Hammer Fil productions.

Not true. Actually most people from that time have vivid memories of those movies and remember them well. I've spoken to a few people recently who seem to think they've left the public consciousness but i think it's the total opposite.

yes

Nothing. It was a good movie. That part where the guy asked Tom what he was thinking had me giggling pretty hard. The plot was nice and it's a good setup for the Dark Universe.

Ending was a bit soft though. But still, it was better than having a generic beam-in-the-sky battle.

>Doesn't mention how it pays its respects to the 1932 movie as well as nods to the 1999 movie
>Doesn't mention how if it was longer this movie would be much better cos the main issue is that it feels too rushed
Not a perfect review at all

At least she got one thing right: the ghost sidekick was annoying

Not enough focus on the actual mummy, not enough good dialogue, moves too fast, most bad guys are generic zombies. Overall 6/10 still had a good time.

For the Mummy:

insider here. AMA if you really want to.

In terms of takehome to the studio, its at 108millions total.

This is our factoring of marketing into the budget, then including how much of each ticket sale is our nut per region and per day/week since initial release date.

Its at 108 true dollars. It needs to bring in 17 million more at about 25% overseas take and 28-33% domestic take, between now and when the final theater DROPS it.

So looking at boxofficemojo now (which is actually fairy close to our internal numbers as of this morning) and knowing domestic is basically dried up (lucky to get 65 mill)

We need to see

Domestic: 65mill
Foreign: 278mill

It's going to be close, but any penny over above is true profit.

Tom Cruise movies do extremely well on VOD/REDBOX/STREAMING ETC, plus theirs already a deal in place with the airlines and many major hotel chains.

My expert opinion is itll hit its nut by the skin of its teeth, then cash in a nice amount in rentals etc - is it enough to continue the series? That's way about my pay grade.

t. consultant analyst (AMA if needed))

The real question is will imohtep still be in the new universe

insider? Contact the director to make a sequel with Cruise and Sofia resurrected please!

I can't wait 2 years for Bride of Frankenstein. Would be great if they could do the idea I said and release it next year or some other movie that wouldn't be too high budget.

They should know that doing 1 movie every 2 years isn't good when they are trying to jump start this new series (I say series because there is no news if it will actually be a cinematic universe i.e. the monsters will be all together in 1 film in the end) but from what I have scene: it would be cool to have Dr Jekyll as the guy who tries to hunt and find these monsters.

They should in my opinion start a sequel with Tom's character how he is at the end of the Mummy as Dr Jekyll is trying to hunt for him; Sofia Mummy somehow gets resurrected again and an even bigger threat appears. So still keep it a mummy movie and then do a Bride of Frankenstein movie afterwards.

I really liked Nick that Tom played and would be a shame to not see any of these characters again.

>the ratcatcher lit by his lantern in the dark and the mirror room scene on screen

they're going to need one hell of a fucking cinematographer

Just a friendly reminder, how much screen time Darth Vader was given in original SW? Too big antagonist screentime exposition takes out all the mysterious aura away.

>AMA if you want to.

1. Some good behind the scenes material, or only that mess you can find on Youtube?
2. True that Sofia got nose injury on-set?
3. Undead in end were all CGI or costumes?
4. Were there scenes cut out? Movie seems bit too short.
5. Any merch planed? I know movie flop in US, but if Universal wants to start Universe, collectibles are welcome.
6. Have a nice day :)

Although not perfect, definetly among my fav mummy movies. Not as horrendous as Hammer Films, but still lacks Sommers campy fun and 1932 aura. Definetly better than 40s-60s ones and terrible 80s-90s nightmares.

>Were there scenes cut out? Movie seems bit too short.
Not same guy but yeah; just a few snippets here and there that you saw in the trailer like some of the nudity being trimmed during webm related's scene

No idea if any full scenes were cut but considering the movie does feel very short: I am really hoping we do get some kind of slightly longer cut

Directed by Alex Kurtzman, what the fuck did you expect, a good movie?

1. yes, expect a lot of "making of" much more fleshed out the one airing on HBO right now and and a lot of DVD extras, b roll etc

5. quite a bit, rollout at the parks first then online and in retail

no idea on the rest, i sit in a cubical

No reason to be. He was 'powered' by love to Anck-Su-Namun. She left when he need her the most, so he had no more reason to live and went back to underworlds. From The Mummy Returns.

>Undead in end were all CGI or costumes?
Costume for these guys

I loved ASM2 and was so happy that Alex directed this

Such a shame ASM2 never got a sequel but it is good to see him really try with this Dark Universe and I hope it all works out for him

Is this a music video stretched out over 100 minutes?

Would You mind sharing source? Checked lot of Youtube but couldn't find that bit.

Any chance we may get a commentary on the blu ray release? I hate how so many directors these days hardly do commentaries anymore. Cruise has done a few so would be cool if he does a commentary for this

It's sad to say that the opening of this movie reminded me of Suicide Squad i.e. trying to trim down Ahmanet's prologue and fit it with narration

youtube.com/watch?v=aLRRCd4s3dg

I liked this movie back when it was called Queen of the Damned.

Cruise was obsessively involved in this movie, I imagine he'd do the commentary 5x over if he was allowed. It all depends on how the next few weeks go, before we start talking value-add to future releases

>Cruise was obsessively involved in this movie
Cruise saved it. He got writers to re-write the 3rd act, giving Nick more of a dramatic arc by having him get possessed. Also Cruise apparently was behind wanting Dr Jekyll in this because the original treatment didn't have that.

You should be thanking Cruise for saving the movie and making it not a total forgettable flick

oops I didn't realize you were the Insider. Anyway yeah

There was no sense of adventure. The 1999 version really took you places, this movie was meh in that regard.

I guess it wasn't supposed to be. It was another take closer to black&white ones. Take a look on other mummy movies, not only 1932/1999 ones. 40s and 60s ones are closest inspiration.

Anybody else seriously pissed off about his cuffs in that poster? Also to answer your question: Cruise can't play goofy roles, the guy has aged, and I feel the movie didn't focus much on the destruction that the mummy could bring.

Also, the ending was stupid, at the end the guy did EXACTLY what the mummy wanted him to do, and it turns out he wins because of this? Film rapes its own logic. Also they totally wasted Hyde by basically showing him as a human on steroids instead of some unstoppable force.

It's hardly dead when the next movie is already being filmed and the other one is in pre production.

Don't buy the meme about "THE WONDER WOMAN BURIED THE MUMMY XD THE MUMMY TANKED!". The film already recouped more than twice its budget and its still going strong overseas, people outside of the US are actually liking it, so no, the darkverse isn't going anywhere.

Ending was cool towards mummy story. Nick did extacly what she wanted, but she didn't realise he could turn against her. Basically something that was supposed to be her ally, doomed her. Loved that! But personally, I would probably join her, specially after hearing that Jekyll plans to kill me afterwards, lol

Cruise's ego getting in the way.

Same thing happened with Christian Bale on Terminator Salvation.

>the guy has aged
He literally hasn't

>It's going to lose 95 million.

deadline.com/2017/06/the-mummy-tom-cruise-box-office-bomb-loss-1202114482/

>budget between 125-195mil
>marketing 150mil

Go take a look at the morgue scene, his pecs are extremely saggy

Where are they getting their data from? Every other source says 125 million budget and 100 million advertising budget, it already grossed 310 million worldwide and its still strong overseas

Don't listen to haters that dont appreciate this film.

Yup.
Shut the fuck up Shill-gramps and accept that your entire existence is an ass-stain on the underpants of society

Ikr? People were literally pissing themselves from the sheer terror and awesomeness of Tom Cruise's: The Mummy

#GETLITTY

giv mummy gf

The dialogue was awful. Cruise is horribly miscast, and the movie is 100 minutes but feels more like half an hour because it's mercilessly padded with flashbacks, then long redundant exposition that cuts back to earlier flashbacks, then flashbacks to flashbacks. And hallucinatory interludes. This was either to pander to foreign audiences or to try to counteract the movie's completely unnecessarily convoluted plot.

sorry to ruin Your world, but:

>stupid ugly dyed hair
I don't know how you can even look at this person for more than a second, much less watch a whole video of them.

it doesn't look very good

>dude four irises lmao
>dude cruise is like going to BECOME the Mummy

dem eyes were something really creepy and nailed Ahmanet sinister feel. 10/10

Tom not giving in to Ahmanet honestly. There was no reason not to.

based

>But seriously, what went wrong?
Acting was bleh.
Dialogue was really bleh.
Attempts at comedy failed.
Focused waaay too much on special effects.

They can salvage it if they focus on plot and acting for future movies.

Must be all those thetans he's removed from his body. (and a 5 star plastic surgeon/morning routine)

no pls ;_;

y-you too~

in addition to a ton of the usual problems of your standardised bloated four quadrant would-be-blockbuster, they made the exact same mistake as Warner Bros. by trying to take a shortcut into a "cinematic universe" by establishing it with a single flick instead of being smart and building it over a few years with 4-6 flicks. they got greedy and rushed it and they fucked up.

there is more:

She literally went throu hell when making this movie.
4-6 hour characterisation, over 20 tries and takes on costume tests. Extremally hot and unconvinient weather conditions and in addition this:
yahoo.com/movies/mummy-star-sofia-boutella-reveals-bloody-set-injury-190730437.html

She basically nailed the movie, yet everyone was all about Tom Cruise and so. Panned by critics without any good word about her, even tho it was her shining.

As much as Ahmanet was gem of the movie, I don't see Sofia return to her. In addition, no real reason to ressurect her, as her power-hungry arc ended, and Set claimed what she promised.

Not enough Oscar Isaac

Tom Cruise. Terrible script. Boring Story. Awful director.

poor girl :/

Scientology is big on Aliens and reincarnation/past lives bs.

I don't like Tom Cruise and I never have. I don't see any movie where he's the main character.

>white male lead
>2017

it's like they wanted to loose money

Pandering to china

* in US,
here, "Mummy" had better opening (73k) than "WW" (64k) and still contunues with not so huge drop, Like 30% less. overall "Mummy" after 2 weeks had 180k views, WW after 3 weeks, 215k. No matter how panned by critics, ppl are rather fed up with superhero movies, specially Wonder Woman THAT isn't that popular outside USA, as Batman or Spiderman.

Worth noting that going to cinema isn't popular thing here. Only big scores here is among kids, pirates5/smurfs already passed million views, cars opened with 200k.

I want to hug her and cuddle with her :_:

The price you pay for looking this good on a press junkett is having your face bloated to hell several months prior

The mouth to mouth life sucking thing really bothered me for some reason.

I just can't imagine how bad the mummy's breath would have been. Yeah, she's really hot... but god that 5000 year old bad breath sounds disgusting. She sucked the life out of those guys and I bet their last thought was how gross that breath was.

Agreed, I was a bit confused as to what the Mummy's final goal here was, was she trying to spook him into complience or just use the rats to bring him to her?

Probably 5000 years made it not smelly at all, just totoal dried out feel. Dead rat I found in my gagrage was already half-mumified and it wasn't horrible smell.

Deathly life-sucking kiss was pretty kinky tho. Whole movie had bit kinky feeling. Anyone knows if /aco/ already got R34, lol?