Do Japanese people enjoy graphic novels the same way westerners enjoy their manga

do Japanese people enjoy graphic novels the same way westerners enjoy their manga

A western comic book fandom exists in japan
No idea about size

>do Japanese people enjoy graphic novels the same way westerners enjoy their manga

There's very little reciprocation when it comes to comics between Japan and the West.

Mostly because Western comics are full color and printed on glossy paper and cost three or four times as much as a manga volume with only a quarter as many pages (or less).

Western comics are high end items in Japan, so they sell very poorly and only to the most niche of markets. As a result, very little Western material is ever translated and made available in Japan.

So no. American comics are not popular in Japan. Get over it.

>Get over it
did i hurt your feelings?

We could just ask 2chan.

Its 2ch, not 2chan

>We could just ask 2chan.

Gaijin aren't allowed to post on 2chan. It's region blocked.

did you just fucking crawl from Sup Forums to defend your weaboo shit here?

who the fuck does this?

Someone go into a Japanese Barnes & Noble and see if they have a comic section that's largely untouched.

These are just awful responses. There's so much ignorance in Sup Forums and this lovely user gives us some information and you give him grief.

For shame Sup Forums.

But if American comics aren't popular in Japan, why do the Japanese love Marvel so much? From video games, cartoons, and movies, Japan seems to have a hard on for Marvel. Even DC has a Japanese presence thanks to the Bat-manga and other things.

Um, you do know that graphic novels out of manga do exist right?

You can buy graphic novel releases of Vinland Saga and even One Piece in Kinokuniya.

Salty we/a/boo is salty.

They love the movies, dog.

The comics are not popular here.

Because the first-ever live action Spiderman was started in Japan.

Stan Lee basically sold the Spiderman license to Toho and it revolutionized the Sentai industry, leading to a brand recognition for Marvel far stronger than anything else.

Also, Universal Studios Osaka has Marvel attractions since the 90s, so Japan clearly knows Marvel for a LONG time.

I think it's pretty obvious what OP meant when he said graphic novels

Can't speak for the other two, but Gundam Origins is a manga

>Implying most amecomi readers don't read pirated fan-translations online

Which is also rereleased as a graphic novel.

How is he salty you moron? Do you guys use words without knowing what they mean?

>why do the Japanese love Marvel so much

Why do Americans love DC/Marvel movies,cartoons,etc but never touch comics? Same reason.

>Deal with it

Good response until

>Get over it.

Needlessly provocative. Takes away from your whole post.

C-

But people do read the comics. Comics, as a medium of entertainment, have actually grown thanks to the movies.

Also
>Pic related, American comics in Japan.
That Hitman spine looks dope.

probably similar to our manga fanslation scene.

good god what must bendis memes look like in japanese?

Semantics are the least important part of any discussion.

>>Implying most amecomi readers don't read pirated fan-translations online

Wow, you're clueless.

There is no fansubbing or scanlating scene in Japan. Not for American cartoons or comic books.

Americans eat manga and anime up faster than distributers can make them available in the US. The Japanese have 0 interest in our comics or cartoons, not enough to buy legit translations much less take the time to fansub them.

Get real.

I'd totally buy a japanese copy of Black Hole.

And look at how poorly they're selling.

Also, check the prices. One of those Ame-Comi editions probably costs 50,000yen ($50) or more for 60 pages. A 200-page tankoban will run something like 10,000yen ($10) tops.

Ame-comi is high-end trash over there.

>do Japanese people enjoy graphic novels the same way westerners enjoy their mang

Yes. The actual anime/animators really like Mike Mignola (and by default Hellboy). Also despite the language barrier they know quite a bit about characters better left forgotten (ex. onslaught).

Comic fans in japong are a small minority but they exist, its certainly more acceptable then being an otaku

Popularity for certain characters skyrocketed thanks to the movies

Also X-Men and Spidey have a massive following

Well he gave off a decent description and then told OP to deal with like he somehow hates this question

If you think capeshit is popular in Japan you are literally retarded.

You claim to know so much yet you can't even convert currency properly.

but they do love marvel

Where does this concept come from, i doubt people who think comics dont have at least a small following in Japan have ever met or been there

Its there its just small

>but they do love marvel

The Marvel vs. Capcom games were made primarily for the American market. They didn't sell well or even make much of a splash in Japan, mostly because no one there knew who any of the characters were.

Sorta like how Tatsunoko vs Capcom was released as a gesture in the US, but didn't sell because no one here knew who anyone beyond Battle of the Planets guy and Technoman were (at BEST).

Manga is comic books, the same way Bande Desinee are a type of comics in France and Fumetti in Italy, Manga is the equivalent to those but in Japan.

They were made primarily because the nineties X-Men show was popular there

>Manga is comic books

Aaaaaaaaaaand you're WRONG.

Manga is an artform in Japan. Made by singular creators with vision and a full narrative in mind.

Comics are just a product made by an assembly line of businessmen. Please, don't shit on manga by calling them comics.

>They were made primarily because the nineties X-Men show was popular there

Weeb, the 90s X-Men cartoon was broadcast on TV Tokyo and the ratings were so bad it got cancelled after 40-something episodes.

>But muh BRAND NEW TITLE SEQUENCE!

That doesn't mean the show was popular, it just means they wasted their money on a new title sequence. X-Men was never popular in Japan.

Lol fuck off Sup Forums

>Lol fuck off Sup Forums

He isn't wrong, you're just salty.

to be fair though the comic section at most B&N's are untouched.

>Manga is an artform in Japan. Made by singular creators with vision and a full narrative in mind.
>Shonen shit is made by creators with vision and a full narrative in mind, that's why they make shit up on a weekly basis
>Made by singular artists except for all the thousands of series made with an multiple assistants, including stuff like Golgo 13 where the original artist barely writes or draws any more and just has an entire studio of assistants to make it for him
>Manga is an artform, including all those intellectually scintillating light novel adaptations and popular franchise spin-offs set in high schools/the Sengoku period/the Romance of the Three Kingdoms era. These were all made by individual and ambitious creators and not all mandated and published by an assembly line of salarymen

Nothing you said is correct and purely based on a limited and biased set of opinions cleverly phrased in the form of shitposting. Manga is an artform because it is a form of entertainment in a specific medium, the same as comic books. Which by any actual definition manga qualifies as, provided you aren't a fucking weeb or conversely a tasteless capeshitter or indie hipster.

>Which by any actual definition manga qualifies as,

Except comic books are not categorized as manga in Japan, by actual Japanese people.

They're referred to as "ame-komi", not manga.

Comics are not manga.

manga
ˈmaŋɡə/
noun
a style of Japanese comic books and graphic novels, typically aimed at adults as well as children.

You're using an English language definition to define a foreign word that doesn't have a true English language equivalent.

They can use "comic book" to try and describe or define manga, but they are not true equivalents. Because there is no word in the English language that is equivalent to manga. That's why we use the Japanese word in the first place.

It'd be like calling a seiyu a "voice actor".

They don't enjoy their own manga.

The big doujinshi convention held twice annually in Tokyo is called Comiket, which is short for "Comic Market".

QED

They can't be that expensive if Nobuhiro Watsuki could afford them during his time on Kenshin when he had a Gambit lookalike show up in it and once came buckets over how awesome that one Spawn figurine he found was.

>good god what must bendis memes look like in japanese?
SASUGA BENDISU!

you do know right, graphic novel in japan is still manga in tankobon or shinsoban or any other formats? Your omnibus is equal to aizoban there and tankobon is basically the same as your tpb. Japs do not use fancy word like 'graphic novels', they literally called their tankobon as 'comics'.

Well, Bat-Manga is good.

>So bad
>40 Episodes
That's more than some of their own serials. [spoilers] No matter the language, that much into it can be grating. [/spoiler]

>Get over it.

They're referred to as "ame-komi", not manga.

Or comics. Or comic books. Or American Manga. Or Iigirisu Comikuu.

You are typing English on an American image board made by a weeb. Manga are comic books. If you were Japanese you'd call comics books manga, but you're not Japanese and you never will be. You can't even fucking speak the language and you presume to play semantics with me? The Pedantic King?

Well Fate series is japans capeshit so i guess they like it.

You can't even green text properly and you think you can school someone?

Hilarious. Manga is a very specific subgenre of the sequential art form, wholly distinct from the Western idea of "comic books".

You don't know what you're talking about.

Makes sense. All their sit takes place in the Nasuverse after all.

Though isn't My Hero Academia and Tiger & Bunny their literal capeshit?

Even Sup Forums doesnt believe in this shit.

>they have hitman
Why the fuck I can't find it in Italy. Sweet pizza

Have you considered getting some actual Comics other than cape which isnt itself bad and is the equivalent of shonen and on worse cases Moe which itself slowly ruined anime and manga

Heck ops pic has some good ones, you'll find they arent that different

So I take it you're not going to address this?

>moe
>ruined anything
No that is just hasnt really ruined anything other than it can have too much in anime but even by that not every moe show sells like K-on or Lucky Star.

This whole thread is cancer but saying manga is not a type of comic is just retarded, so anime is not a cartoon? Is japaneese food not food are those anime girl simulators not videogames?

Why Sup Forums is always arguing about anime vs west cartoons or manga vs comics? Sup Forums doesnt do this but you guys really like to fight about it.

Under that definition Hellboy is a Manga rather than a comic book, which blatantly isnt the case.

I think there are enough cultural and production differences to refer to Manga as separate in passing, but they are a kind of Comic Book.

I have actually thinking lately are VNs video games? Because some say they are but some say they are not so what it is?

1.) they have a chip on their shoulder about it.
ans 2.) a lot of them judge anime and manga at face value. hence why we get a lot of "all anime looks the same" and "anime is nothing but moe shit".

Considering overlap threads such as Toonami how often do you think Sup Forums comes to Sup Forums compared to Sup Forums to Sup Forums?

Because Sup Forums actually has mods that shut down shit threads.

Depends on how much interactibility and challenge you think a 'Game' has to have.

Who do you think is the KUBOOOOOOO of the westaboo fandom in japan?

>It'd be like calling a seiyu a "voice actor".

The manga vs comics thing is stupid, but this is a legit thing.

Seiyu are highly trained like opera singers and many have to work their way up through the idol circuits before they can even have a chance to become a seiyu.

American voice actors are usually people who weren't handsome or funny enough to be screen actors so they rebounded into the VA ghetto. Most Latin and Euro VAs are even worse; literally just whoever the studio could find off the street to shit out lines.

Seiyu treat it like an art, for voice actors it's just a paycheck.

>he doesn't think Sup Forums does the same thing

That's a new bullshit definition of graphic novel.
Someone thinks graphic novel just means hardcover.

In this thread's context, graphic novel = trade paperback = tankōbon = a volume of manga or comics.

>"all anime looks the same"
At least it doesn't have the inconsistent art problem the cape comics have. What with no changing artists and all.

>for voice actors it's just a paycheck.
Listening to Kevin Conroy's breakdown of the Bruce persona and any time Andrea Romano shares observation of the nuance of character conveyed through their tone, dialogue and pacing I very much doubt that.
It might be the modern majority approach due to business influence causing popularity of a name to exceed the quality of work, but it's by no means what voice acting is by default because of that.

"If you are not Japanese, you do not write or draw manga."

There. That should make it easier to understand for people.

People on Sup Forums just talk about anime and manga they like on Sup Forums
People on Sup Forums come here to shit post about how western shit is inferior

Dunno. Who is the western equivalent of Toriyama?

Dunno. American voice actors have become increasingly popular in the past years.
And I certainly wouldn't call all of them fuck ugly either. Yuri Lowenthal or Crispin Freeman are handsome dudes.

I remember a friend living in Tokyo said he knew a place to buy American comics. I think he meant imported ones in English. He said they unfortunately had moved further away from where he lived.

Another day, another Sup Forums vs Sup Forums thread.

Just another day in a war without end.

>Stan Lee basically sold the Spiderman license to Toho and it revolutionized the Sentai industry
Sentai shows had been made long before Spiderman, and I've never heard of Spiderman being popular or influential. It's always stuff like Kamen Rider instead.

Shitposting aside, they can be considered two different things even if they're technically the same medium (like anime and Western animation).

Semantic argument.

I don't think you understand what moe is.

>From video games, cartoons, and movies, Japan seems to have a hard on for Marvel
You just answered your own question.
Japan consumes Marvel content mostly from side stuff, like the many extremely popular Capcom games, to the cartoons that were partly animated in Japan and the

Seriously why are there so many Sup Forums leaks recently. Guess we have to talk more about live action capeshit.

This is wrong, not only that american VA's blow japanese ones out of the water

Now I wanna learn Japanese just so I can buy these expensive imports and read them in the language they weren't originally written in.

Why though?

Why what?

Hes wrong btw, its just not a big community

If this isn't bait, it'll do till bait gets here.

>american VA's blow japanese ones out of the water
Japanese actors have to play a much wider variety of roles, they get more experience because of the short length and high number of shows and the high number of characters, they usually attend acting school for years, they can't keep doing the same role for years and years, the competition is crazy, and being able to sing is a job requirement.

How do British people shower?

They have a bidet installed in the ceiling.

Supaida-man had one of the first mechs IIRC and that the Super Sentai shows that came after started using them too. But then again I mostly watch Kamen Rider and very little of that so I might be wrong.

Well as guy who has been on Sup Forums since 2004 it is really rare to have these kinda threads and most of the Sup Forums doesnt think west stuff is inferior to anime or manga.

>Get over it.

Mecha had been done before and Gundam came out the following year and made mecha even more popular.

But Sup Forums just talks about entry level stuff or what has been on toonami and if isnt something like those two then it is shit.

True but it is still not big as in japan.

I dont really think it is Sup Forums who is doing this but more like that one guy who thinks anything japan is perfect.