National Heroes?

Food for thought - Now that Britain has exited the EU and nationalism is on the rise, will we get a new Captain Britain?

I'll be completely honest in stating that the weird Muslim woman who's completely vanished (thank god) from the comics was the worst possible choice to take up the mantle, because it showed the willingness of the writers to trample a national legacy in the name of diversity. But as the character of a country changes, shouldn't the nature of the country's representative change, too?

I vaguely recall, in Age of Ultron, that Dane (the Black Knight) is said to be the Captain of that 'Other Britain' (i.e. the racist side of Britain), though he was apparently getting triggered really hard by having to kill Ultron drones.

This got me thinking - If, say, Trump became President...Would the strongly liberal Steve Rogers be replaced by another Captain America? Because the strongly right-wing Ultimate Captain America in Vol. 1 & 2 of Mark Millar's ultimates would seem a better fit for a Trump presidency.

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsalliance.com/captain-britain-faiza-hussain/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So he'd be a fascist?

South Asians are like the biggest ethnicity minority in Britain, so not really.

>If, say, Trump became President...Would the strongly liberal Steve Rogers be replaced by another Captain America?
Englehart done this already.

Yeah, but Britain is a white country. It's like if we had a Captain China. As a Chinese, I would never accept a Muslim or a Caucasian as Captain China. He would have to either be a son of the Communist party, or a hidden descendant of one of the last dynasties.

>Yeah, but Britain is a white country.
Drivel.

>But as the character of a country changes, shouldn't the nature of the country's representative change, too?
No.

There are a higher percentage of non-whites in Britain now than there were in America prior to the 1970s.
Welcome to the 21st century. White countries don't exist anymore.

It should, otherwise Captain America would be dressed like John Brown or David Crockett.

You have to go back, Ahmed. You have to go back. It's not your Britain any more.

kek you'll be lucky to have a UK at all before that EU shit is over and done with.

Might as well call him Captain England and be done with it.

Captain Germany during WWII would have been VERY different from Captain Germany during WWI. And that's less than twenty years apart.

>South Asians are like the biggest ethnicity minority in Britain
Actually it's currently Poles... Oh God what have we done by leaving the EU.

>ITT: People stupid enough to fall for the Britain is overrun with muslims maymay

You've saved your country.

>the weird Muslim woman who's completely vanished (thank god) from the comics was the worst possible choice to take up the mantle

You do understand that this only happened for like five seconds in Age of Ultron (and in Secret Wars) and that the regular character never became Captain Britain, right? Brian was never actually replaced by her.

Also, look up US Agent's background.

We'll have a new Britain, all right.

The idea alone was blasphemous, though. I get the feeling Marvel wanted to try it, then realized it would never work.

>will we get a new Captain Britain?
Not in Marvel's current atmosphere. Anyone who doesn't fold is vilified. You'll get a Führer Britain for your troubles.

Mate you are posting on politically Sup Forumsrrect the board. You are just gonna get a bunch of responses about you being a bigot.

Real talk: Are there even any right-wing superheroes? I mean, the right has been flanderized into being enormous racists. But can't you have a superhero who is fiercely nationalistic without being a secret Nazi?

>This got me thinking - If, say, Trump became President...Would the strongly liberal Steve Rogers be replaced by another Captain America? Because the strongly right-wing Ultimate Captain America in Vol. 1 & 2 of Mark Millar's ultimates would seem a better fit for a Trump presidency.

It would make sense, that happened once already back when Reagan was President.

I guess it's not that far fetched.

Kek what in the fuck. Why is Bucky a black man here.

Wally used to be pretty anti-commie during his Titans days.

Fun Fact: When Marvel introduced Captain Germany, Germans got really really offended, and now Marvel has to sneak him in cameos.

New Captain America brought a new Bucky along with him.
These days they're known as US Agent and Battlestar.

>Against sex education
Woah, woah, woah. Walker. Come on, you don't want them growing up to be perverts but you don't want them growing up to be clueless either.
I zoned out during slides on the female reproductive system and you can guess how much pussy I see now.

Who will play in the inevitable brexit movie?

Play as him*

When you see the female reproductive system up close, your instincts will know what to do.

They need classes to teach people how to get to that point.

>your instincts will know what to do.
Jam it in without foreplay, then pull out when I feel like I'm close?

If you're seeing the female reproductive system up close, you're probably already heavily into the foreplay part.

Wasn't the muslim chick in another dimension captain britain.
Isn't she excalibur right now on earth 616?

I'm not sure if I would want a Wonder Woman ripoff to represent my country but she's the only thing I can think of right now.

Would he also be a total cunt in Western Countries and every American Chinese kinda hate him?

Have Hong Kong and other places look down on him?

Like would there be scenes of him running over some people and then trampling on them again so he doesn't have to pay their hospital bills.

Just have a Knight of the Round table return from Avalon.
Or Arthur himself.
Or Sir Francis Drake

We've got a fuckton of Kings under the Mountain to choose from, and that's not counting other folk heroes and legends.
Maybe have John the Marshal come back to curbstomp and ransom anyone dumb enough to fight him

You could have him be war scarred and works for the military rather than Hitler.

Have him be sent to Stalingrad after disobeying and mocking Hitler. You don't have to make him a Nazi loyal. You could actually make a pretty good story out of this.

Sure is fucking in here.

The KGB tried to die his skin and make him a Black Russian.

>People care about the colour of their captains.

Continue letting yourself get distracted from the plague of bad stories, retards.

Enemy Ace of DC comics was something like this. He fought in both WWI and WWII, and he was never a member of the Nazi party.

I'd be interested in a 'Captain China' type character that belongs to some ethnic minority in China actually

I hope Brian will be back

It wouldn't happen. If 'Captain China' was an ethnic minority, he would be killed.

It's like what happened with the Dalai Lama: Note that China has its own puppet Dalai Lama, to replace the one we all know. The current one has specifically stated that he will not reincarnate, so that all the Chinese-appointed ones are illegitimate - But the Chinese Dalai Lama has similarly pronounced him false.

China would literally kill the undesirable and steal his shit for someone else to use.

Yeah, but unlike the Dalai Lama or anyone else who opposes the Chinese government, he'd have superpowers.
I mean for fuck's sake you're writing the story right now, that already sounds pretty cool

If the rumours about him getting a TV series are true synergy will bring him back in.

>I mean for fuck's sake you're writing the story right now, that already sounds pretty cool

This, I'm kinda liking where this idea is going.

The problem is that as a Chinese myself, I feel a distinct sense of revulsion at the thought that - say - an Uighur would represent us. This is pretty much at odds with Western sensibilities, but I would rather have an 'evil' Han Chinese Captain China than a good-natured minority Captain China.

If you're interested in the concept, the Great Ten miniseries by DC comics actually explores this. I personally think that the very best issue are the 'Seven Deadly Brothers' and 'Immortal Man In Darkness' issues, which I can elaborate on - The series is pretty obscure, but I think the writer perfectly captured the way our government would do things.

86% white at the last census in 2011. Whiter than America by a long way.

Jesus christ man

Uyghurs are the closest thing to pure blooded Turks, the original Turks.

>the weird Muslim woman who's completely vanished (thank god) from the comics was the worst possible choice to take up the mantle

But she's really fucking cool.

You sound like a bad person.

There's that Western morality again, which - to us Chinese - seems like a kind of thanatoic death-wish at times. You only love the things that weaken you.

>Fun Fact: When Marvel introduced Captain Germany, Germans got really really offended, and now Marvel has to sneak him in cameos.
german guy here, and holy shit, there's a Captain Germany? That's hilarious.

I wanted to come into this thread and be all no OP you're an idiot and to correct the dumb FAIZA HUSSEIN IS CAPTAIN BRITAIN shit because that page does get posted in Sup Forums and brings people over.

But someone actually wrote this:

comicsalliance.com/captain-britain-faiza-hussain/

And I'm just, ugh. Shooting for this kind of legitimacy is just as bad. It's nothing. It's fucking smoke. It's like people on either side have this soap, this later, and they want to wash the characters and comics in it - it smells nice to them, but it will never make anything clean. You don't build bridges by restricting voices.

On the article you posted--I see what you're saying, but the first part of it is correct.
Braddock doesn't really represent actual Britain, not even in the time he was created like Steve Rogers.

I just want Union Jack back.

Faggot homebase Comics Alliance currently has an article about how Faiza should be made Captain Britain for real.

I liked Cornell and Ewing fine but turning Faiza into CB is egregious. CB is a symbolic heir of King Arthur. If you buy into the idea that romantic Arthur was informed by historical resistance to Anglo-Saxon colonization centuroes earlier, the character represents a unifying defender of native Bretons from outside invaders.
To bequeath that mantle to a symbol of invasion truly rustles my jimmies. And I'm not even English.

Correction, we'd love for you to tell us how good we are for weakening ourselves with the burdens of others.

>Braddock doesn't really represent actual Britain, not even in the time he was created like Steve Rogers.
I agree, doesn't mean you can't tell stories like that though. Braddock's mythical position can even be an asset.

RASHEED

By the same token the Arthurian canon is a mish-mash of native sources and the product of invaders and represents a work of cultural heterogeneity so is perfectly suited to be updated like that. Either argument is specious: the Arthur most of us are familiar with is the Norman one.

No. """"""""""""""""""""""Muslim"""""""""""""""""""""" hero Kamala Khan is cool. Fuck this raghead.

She was in secret wars

Right, but the article doesn't say get rid of him as a character. It says, okay, Braddock has all that Captain Britain Corps and mythical shit going on, and that's cool and he can do that, but then there should be another Captain Britain that remains on planet and actually represents Britain, the way Captain America does for the US.

I'm just saying he has a point, the whole and it definitely needs to be a Muslim woman is a little much

It's corporate, serial entertainment. The bar is low.

They added Braddock to Avengers Academy, so at least Marvel remembers that he exists.

>Yeah, but Britain is a white country.

Never been to Londonistan, have you mate?

>Right, but the article doesn't say get rid of him as a character. It says, okay, Braddock has all that Captain Britain Corps and mythical shit going on, and that's cool and he can do that, but then there should be another Captain Britain that remains on planet and actually represents Britain, the way Captain America does for the US.
This is like folks who forget Wonder Woman was a space pirate and worked in a fast food joint. You don't have to restrict yourself.

Since today is my country's birthday.

On the one hand, Marvel creating National superhero teams is always fun, on the other, the writers never do any fucking research and the whole thing usually gives me secondhand embarrassment

Did you even read Ultimates? Ultimate Cap would not even support Trump no matter how conservative he was, he even criticizes the Bush administration at some point in the comic (and supports the Ultimates seperating from the US government and working away from US interests).

There is so, so much room to play around with the idea of Britain's superhero being older and more a product of the land itself than modern (or any) Britain. Will Marvel launch something that rolls with that? Of course not.

But Ewing on USAvengers should be fine. The New Avengers is cynically American already.

>London
>Britain
Brexit just showed you the difference.

Yep. But like I said, he really offended Germans when he was introduced in the 80s because god forbid the Germans ever have any sort of national pride ever again.

So now they just sneak him in in cameos, because fuck censorship.