Fracking

Redpill me on fracking. Do the benefits outweigh the detriments?

there is no detriments to fracking really.

Yes, it has allowed the US to decrease it's reliance on foreign sources of crude oil. US oil imports from the Persian gulf have been halved since 2012.

Yes.
American jobs.
Resource independence.
Lower commodity prices across the board since everything relies on oil at some point.
Lets you fuck with Saudi Arabia and there is nothing they can do about it.

Yes, it's cheaper and less damaging to the environment than offshore drilling.
Remember the BP oil spill? Fracking is a safe alternative.

Fracking has reduced our carbon emissions due to it making natural gas cheaper and more abundant than coal. It would be beyond retarded to ban it.

fracking works fine if done properly.

when done improperly because the kikes are trying to save a couple of shekels then you run into problems.

/thread

>beyond retarded to ban it.
maybe if you totally ignore the increased risk of earthquakes and potential poisoned groundwater, which would fuck up entire ecosystems... it'd be beyond retarded to do that though

fracking is garbage technology for short term gains. it ends up wrecking local water tables and destabilizing foundation soils. its the energy equivalent of the side of the ice cream bowl....

licking the sides.....

Yes. Overwhelmingly. Also, when done correctly, what detriments?

Essentially fracking is a geological gamble that allows most nations to extract far more fossil fuels and natural gas than they would otherwise have reasonable access too. It's not entirely without risk (and nothing worth doing is) but neither is it some kind of nefarious doomsday device. As long as it's done responsibly and with due care, the risks are relatively low. The real problem with fracking is getting all companies to do it responsibly and with due care, because those things cost money.

ask Cali

Nice sources you got there Mohammad

No, and don't listen to the shills (They are real and appear in every fracking thread), people who live near tracking sights are getting fucked both the air and water can turn to cancerous shit, some old ladies have been paralysed by it. It's not very common for fracking sights to leak but when they do its dreadful.

The only benefit is the money the corps offer the land owners. In the UK we don't even get that.

If by garbage you mean oil and gas has been fueling modern civilization for the past 50+ years then yeah.

And how do you explain farmers growing crops on their land that has been fracked on, sometimes with 8 to 10 wells, less than a year prior?

The tinfoil hatters round here would have you believe that fracking was involved in the Christchurch (NZ) earthquakes of 2005-2008

Speak for your own country bong. There are lots of farmers and land owners turned millionaires thanks to the oil and gas industry in the US.

Still waiting on the evidence where people are literally dying from fracking...

You are an idiot. Fracking is entirely safe and effective when done properly. The amount of environmentalist misinformation on this has been extraordinary. Zero credible peer reviewed studies concluding fracking causes irreversible environmental harm

As I said, you guys get offered good bribe money but the people nearby tend to get fucked.

We don't even get that and we won't get reduced gas and oil prices either because we're linked with Europe or some shit.

Watch some of those liberal docs with a critical eye (like I did) (Split estate and Gasland). You'd be hard pressed to refute everything.

>when done properly

Also, there is uranium in the chems they pump underground (One of many carcinogenic substances). People digest that, get cancer and die.

I live in Wyoming and I can tell you that tracking is pretty much the only thing that keeps us alive. American oil would cost almost double without it. But some of the chemicals are harmful and could potentially poison future water sources deep in the earth's crust.

Wrong, the most harmful substance they pump underground is hydrochloric acid, which is measured in parts per million, as in the same levels in your stomach.

The most dangerous part about it is what cones out if the ground, hydrogen sulfide, which can kill you if inhaled enough in higher concentrations. But H2S occurs naturally and is found within oil and gas formations, and is immediately burned off when discovered.

I don't need to watch some shitty documentary to learn about fracking, I've been working this industry for 6 years now. It's safer now than it ever has been before.

No one has EVER died from radiation poisoning on their land after fracking. You think you know better than everyone else who is either using their land for fracking or engineers themselves because you watched two documentaries about why fracking is bad.

This is probably the dumbest thing i've read on Sup Forums all week, and that's saying something.
There is absolutely no freaking way any company is adding uranium to its fracking mixtures, because there's no point. More than likely what's happening is that the process of fracking is freeing small amounts of uranium already deposited underground, because uranium is found in low concentrations in soil across the entire planet. And yes, it's very mildly radioactive. So is the most common (and naturally occurring) isotope of potassium, but you probably haven't sworn off eating bananas because of that.