U.S Government Claims some Hollywood Films are Money Laundering Schemes

money.cnn.com/2017/06/15/media/dumb-and-dumber-daddys-home-malaysia-1mdb/index.html

always said some films look like a money laundering scheme

>First came "The Wolf of Wall Street." Now the U.S. government says two more feature films were financed by illicit foreign money.

>In a complaint issued Thursday, the Justice Department claimed that tens of millions of dollars were diverted from a Malaysian government investment fund to produce "Dumb and Dumber To" and "Daddy's Home."

>It's part of what prosecutors say was an enormous international fraud: Corrupt officials and financiers stole $4.5 billion from 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) between 2009 and 2015, laundering the money through a series of shell companies with bank accounts in the United States and abroad.

>Prosecutors have filed to recover $1.7 billion.

>The Justice Department says millions in stolen money was funneled through Red Granite Pictures, a Los Angeles production company. The government is laying claim to the movie rights from all three films in question, as well as any profits.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KjIVxC4oIBk
youtube.com/watch?v=aNg3BNxtIm8
youtube.com/watch?v=-beYBLrkNAg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm surprised CNN reported this.

youtube.com/watch?v=KjIVxC4oIBk

That explains it

youtube.com/watch?v=aNg3BNxtIm8

fuckers took down the gopro shot

nice link

shut the fuck up

Some? More like most.

They only had the Malay lead

>tens of millions of dollars were diverted from a Malaysian government investment fund
Is zoolander the most redpilled film ever?

I don't understand how this is supposed to work? I know about how some movies intentionally make losses to take advantage of tax stuff, but studios need to explain where they got their money from. And those companies in turn need to show where they got their money. Why choose mofies when this can be applied to most business that rely on outsider funding?

it was a rogue op only reason it's being exposed.

Not if the producers front the money. Studios just hire out producers to produce the movie.

Wtf I hate Scorsese now?

did he just defibrillate that dude with his bear hands? holey shit

more like somebody didn't get their cut.

it's too easy to re-appropriate foreign sales. how do you think movies with extremely high foreign turnouts get those numbers?

Proof? Seems plausible but still.

he has very little to do with the details of the financing of his films. that is for the finance guys behind the scenes.

name 1 false thing cnn has ever said
protip: you can't

clinton campaign approval numbers

youtube.com/watch?v=-beYBLrkNAg

What do I win?

Hasn't shit like this happened all the time for years? I mean this is the entire basis for Uwe Boll's career. I think that's mostly German funding but still it make sense that Americans would do it all the time as well.

Malaysians are the biggest crooks on the planet.

I can't believe that. That's so stupid I literally don't believe my eyes.

It all went to DiCaprio's plane rides.

RELAX

>bear hands

Modern art is a big money laundering scheme.

>Oh hey nice splash or red paint on that cavas! Here is 200k!

We've known this

I wonder if Adam Sandler will get subpoenaed during this?

>all these hollywoods movies pandering to chinks
>half of them are plugin now
>the other half are financed illegally
>indie shit is pretentious meaningless tripe
>everything is rehashes, remakes and based on a book/comic/play shit
movies are dead

Malaysian here, it's our cuck prime minister desu

yeah it'd been awhile he's keep doing this shit

well fuck him anyway

the right wing movement ( which leads to our current PM) is corrupt, known for bribery etc etc and whatnot

>Man who owns co-owns a film financing company become Treasury Sec
>Suddenly the govt is going after other financiers

hmmm

IMAGINE MY SHOCK

Treasury dept =/= Justice dept

Mnuchin sucks though

People who know things already know all about this. Money laundering isn't a byproduct of Hollywood, its the other way around, the movie industry exists specifically because of the need to launder large sums of money.

Wasnt there a movie with this plot 30 years ago?

>(((Hollywood)))

Just come out and say it

I know right, those evil Malaysian Jews are at it again

Curse that Malaysian Jew mafia!

Malaysia's ruling class are ethnic Hun Chinese so I'm not surprised at all your country is a corrupt kleptocracy

>this guy gets into office
>suddenly DC films start doing well (he's the exec producer of BvS & Wonder Woman)

Hey, he knows how the sausages get made

>Damns them all to hell