4 Days of America's Army

Here in the South, Murrica Day is a pretty big deal. And I've got a four day weekend, so why not read some of the best of DC's war comics?

Starting with Day 1: Sgt. Rock

Come and read awhile, and listen to music from local Texas artists.
youtu.be/h5jiagIMj6Y

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9aqX2UIOL6o&
youtube.com/watch?v=PjY7rK3Ls-U&
youtube.com/watch?v=fVLPxxjW-2g
youtube.com/watch?v=rsybAwW6ybM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>It Ain't Me starts playing

I'm planning on posting some America themed comics on The 4th of July, like Give Me Liberty (not the Frank Miller one) and An Army of Principles. If I had the patience I'd storytime all of Rebels.

Somewhat jarring going from a war zone to a cartoon bear selling Tootsie Rolls

There's my boys.

Good man.

Almost like he was... a Rock...

I love all the weapon euphemisms they use.

This seems familiar

Sorry, that one didn't have the Sarge in it, actually.

Sadly, not featuring Amanda Waller.

This is actually the first time the character is called "Sgt. Rock" and associated with Easy Company. The two were kind of separate at first, but were the most popular parts of OAaW.

youtube.com/watch?v=9aqX2UIOL6o&

>not reading this

Beginning to establish the actual members of Easy Company.

>we need a rival for sgt rock
>what about joe wall
lmao

We've barely even begun with the gloriously dumb names yet.

who else
>private brick
>jimmy boulder
>captain concrete

Imagine, in 1959 there were no movies with realistic special effects, and this was the best way to experience explosive action.

good thread OP, I've never read any of these before

Some choice examples:
>Farmer Boy
>Beanpole
>Ice Cream
>Wee Willie

youtube.com/watch?v=PjY7rK3Ls-U&

Not related, but in case you missed Doom Patrol and want to give that a read:
I wouldn't call it "patriotic" though.

I really hope we get some HQ scans of this stuff, Joe Kubert's art deserves to be seen in the best quality.

This reminds me of how George Washington, according to legend, would ride across battlefields with no cover and bullets would seem to just go around him. Sarge is pretty untouchable.

Granted, back then they fired volleys that took eternity to reload, so it's not as impressive.

>I've been squeezin' it so long-- I can't let go of it

And here's Ice Cream himself.

What's the most American comic ever made?

youtube.com/watch?v=fVLPxxjW-2g

Best I got.

If anyone Sup Forums is here, what are the best WWII games?

Notice they avoid actually showing guys getting iced.

Cat just knocked over my Sinestro Corps liquor glass :'(

Never was a big WWII guy, though I like Daisenryaku. If you like advanced level turn-based strategy it's a pretty cool series. You'll need to memorize the menus though since they're in Japanese.

1942 and its sequels (1943, 1941, 1944, and 19XX) are top tier arcade shooters if you're into that sort of thing. Strikers 1945 is also a decent enough series in the same genre.

Man, this makes me want some goddamn ice cream.

Whats up with the coloring? It looks like someone colored in a black and white book with magic markers.

More relevantly to the holiday is Liberty or Death for SNES, the best American Revolution game ever.

A WWII game from a Japanese perspective sounds really interesting and I love TBS. Is there no english patch?

I prefer older games so that sounds really cool.

Coloring presses were still fairly crude back then, you had limited choice of colors and had to be pretty broad with what areas were what colors, no tiny details.

Plus old ass copies of issues degrade over time.

youtube.com/watch?v=rsybAwW6ybM

I think the first game on NES might be translated. You can learn the basics of the series from there. There are dozens of games in the series for almost every major system. Lots of WWII games, but also some modern Gulf War stuff. SNES has a couple, 1 from for WWII, 1 for Gulf War, which are easy-ish to get into once you've gotten the hang of the menus. From there you can attempt to move to later games, but the language barrier will become an issue more and more the later you go into the series.

>7/11
Fun fact: the convenience store chain apparently started as a single tank.

I can't believe I've never heard of this series, it sounds perfect

Liberty or Death is turn-based grand strategy from KOEI, the developers behind Romance of the Three Kingdoms. So it's deep as fuck with lots of micro-management. 2 Player, or vs. the CPU. You can pick the Colonialists or the Redcoats. It's fucking awesome. Learning curve is high though, as is the case with all KOEI games.

This is some badass shit.

Nicky is an asshole.

For America!

Nicky is an asskicker.

This totally happened.

So how are y'all anons spending your Fourth of July weekend?

Daisenryaku is THE turn-based strategy nut's game of choice for genre fanatics in Japan. I don't think any have come out in other languages, but I could hypothetically be mistaken since I've only played the 90s games and a few of the 2000s ones.

I've heard it described as "Advance Wars for seasoned strategy buffs", but that really doesn't do it justice. It's hexagonal strategy for military and/or WWII nuts, as straight down the line as possible with absolutely zero bullshit. Japan fucking loves it, or at least the turn-based strategy niche over there does. I don't know why they think us westerners aren't interested.

Just keep in mind this shit is hard as fuck. No fucking handholding whatsoever. If you don't understand actual tactics and strategy you will get whupped. If that's what you're looking for then they're cool games. Language barrier is really the only issue.

These stories are starting to get REALLY good.