I'm constantly amazed at how good the English of Europeans tend to be. How do they do it...

I'm constantly amazed at how good the English of Europeans tend to be. How do they do it? Is there something they're doing right in the classroom or is there so much English-language culture that people can't help but become proficient?

they're cucked into it from an early age

More time to learn language when you don't spend each day tending crops and washing granny in her rocking chair.

American's learn Spanish or French from an early age but rarely become proficient. Japan teaches nothing but English but the country has terrible English, probably the worst in the developed world.

Alot of pop culture in is in English combined with

Can't speak for all europeans but it's pretty easy, lots of similarities and some words are straightup german. Same goes for dutch and scandis, I can read what they say without ever having learned their languages.

So many latin loanwords you can guess the general meaning of many sentences, that's a very sweet place to start from. For what concerns vocabulary, the more English media you consume or the more into internet you are, the better you get.

plz no bully.

Exposure.

As I never took classes for it, gaming was the main drive behind learning the language for me. I literally had to use my sisters dictionary to play Fallout when I was like 11-12 years old. I loved the Discworld series growing up. We only had the first two books translated to lithuanian, so I was forced to improve my english again.
Games, books, music, movies/TV (only tards watch dubbed stuff), online message boards. I'd say roughly 80% percent of my entertainment is english based, lithuanian and russian being like 5% each, and only the last 10% being split among the rest.

>that pic

It's just because it's an actual necessity. You Burgers gain jackshit by learning Spanish when you compare it to the piles of media we gain access to by learning English. And then we use all that content daily, improving further.

the difference is that you are not "cucked into learning it" in a sense that you don't NEED it to be successful or just having it a bit easier when you go through your life. while the rest of the world is basically forced into learning english if those people want achieve anything significant or at least not being complete failures. it's all about motivation, literally all the relatively successful people (successful by russian standarda, so don't laugh) can speak english quite good, and they actually had no other choice but to learn. in some fields here you can be a mediocre russian speaker but if you know english you can achieve a lot

English is like Common from fantasy novels, even orcs speak it.

Yeah, I get that. One of my theories for why Japan has poor English is because it has many high quality domestic industries that cater exclusively to the Japanese, making English a non-issue.

Why would Europeans speak good English then? Like Germans. Surely they also have decent domestic industry.

Because Europeans need a common language to interact with one-another. Although there are some people saying they should switch to French now that the UK is out.

There is also the entertainment factor which others have raised in this thread. If people wanted to play videogames back in the day, they had to learn English. Japan, of course, had its own entertainment industry which was enough for the native Japanese.

Has anyone tried Polarisblock? It looks interesting but I fear it could also just be silly.

That's the second time I've seen this picture in the last hour, both times talking about grannies.
Get some new material, friend.

you must not be a native amerilard, stop knowing stuff, its very unamerican

Americans don't know any more or less than others, it just our stupidity is on display 24/7 because everyone consumes our media.

Talk shit about my granny one more time and I will collapse an orbital lobe.

IMO it stems from the fact that English opens up a massive store of entertainment, books (including old ones) and media to you.
Someone already mentioned Fallout - I've started similarly. Most games back then didn't get a Czech translation until years later so the only way to enjoy them was to learn.
Nowadays it's really handy for reading mostly (for me anyway), since I don't have to wait for some translator to get to it and do a terrible job anyway if I want to read something more niche plus it's often much easier and cheaper to track down an English version ebook when I want to read something older and less often reprinted (read the whole of Solzhenitsyn this way).

And slavic is orcish?

English is very easy to learn. Not only because the language itself is easy, but also because it's everywhere on the internet.

I'm self-taught without books/lectures since 2010-something and by 2016 I already was C1. Currently am C2.
Imo you really need to be dumb to never become proficient in english while consistently studying it. It's that easy.

Spanish is easier but I dropped that.
German is easy and dutch is (irrelevant) a bastardization of german and english + extra vowels.

German grammar and cases is fucked compared to English

the thing is the most accessible and interesting media is released in English - films, music, games, websites, books. for instance I once started learning Korean but then I realised that there’s simply no media that interests me in this language - I don’t give a shit about Korean dramas, Korean pop or whatevs. Japanese is a different story since they at least have anime.

england are very easy language

Mandatory English classes from 3rd grade and throughout school.
Video games.
Movies.
Tv shows.
General exposure to it everyday.

I probably learned 70% of my English playing games online with my friends who were/are from all over the world.
I remember the early years of Counter Strike, non of us were very at English so our communication skills were pretty terrible.
But we got better, a lot better.

Lots of people moving from and to UK. Tickets are cheap.

im often been said my english is heroundus and i should fuck off here because i wasnt smart enough to fullfill your expectations.

Assuming you're living in a somewhat wealthy country, the smaller the options to get good media in your language, the better you become at english. That's why nordics could pass for anglo locals but France is usually broken as shit and Japan literally speaks like a caveman. That's also why sub countries perform better than dub countries.

What about us? Do we suck at it?

German is not easy wtf are you talking about lol

>dutch is (irrelevant)
sure
>a bastardization of german and english + extra vowels
wtf

I learned most of my English from going on the internet

This
I learnt grammar at school, but gained fluency on the internet

Lots of outright French vocabulary. The Germanic part (grammar, some vocab., verbs) is pretty simplified compared to other Germanic languages.
I was pretty decent at English even before consuming a lot of English media (forums, youtube, subtitled shows) but it does definitely help.
The hardest parts are when you have to learn things by heart, like irregular verbs.

they're shit in real life